LTH Home

Amazon plans big expansion of online grocery business

Amazon plans big expansion of online grocery business
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 3
  • Post #31 - January 7th, 2021, 9:15 pm
    Post #31 - January 7th, 2021, 9:15 pm Post #31 - January 7th, 2021, 9:15 pm
    Amazon closes Prime Pantry https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... initiative
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #32 - January 22nd, 2021, 2:10 pm
    Post #32 - January 22nd, 2021, 2:10 pm Post #32 - January 22nd, 2021, 2:10 pm
    Amazon Fresh, the online shopping behemoth’s high-tech grocery store, plans to open its second location in the Chicago area next week. The 45,000-square-foot store will open Thursday at 16 E. Golf Road in Schaumburg, in a former Babies R Us space, Amazon said Friday.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/business ... 7#nws=true
  • Post #33 - February 11th, 2021, 3:58 pm
    Post #33 - February 11th, 2021, 3:58 pm Post #33 - February 11th, 2021, 3:58 pm
    Amazon Fresh opened Thursday in Oak Lawn, the third Chicago suburb in the past two months to launch the new grocery concept from the e-commerce giant.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/business ... 0#nws=true
  • Post #34 - March 1st, 2021, 1:45 am
    Post #34 - March 1st, 2021, 1:45 am Post #34 - March 1st, 2021, 1:45 am
    If you read World-Wide Web sites like Block Club Chicago, you may know that there are locations in Chicago which the local population suspects will become an Amazon Fresh store, which is being shielded by a non-disclosure agreement, and are opposed to this.
    This is an issue on which I vacillate. On one side, I am not keen on large corporations becoming so large that they cannot be reduced or replaced without causing financial damage. I have reservations about Walmart, Sam's Club, Costco, Whole Foods, and Amazon becoming more vast.
    On the other side, I wonder what corporation could gain the support of a community to occupy an address. Vacant lots do not support any community.
    Valuable links for survival, without the monetization attempt: https://pqrs-ltd.xyz/bookmark4.html
  • Post #35 - March 3rd, 2021, 8:42 am
    Post #35 - March 3rd, 2021, 8:42 am Post #35 - March 3rd, 2021, 8:42 am
    As reported in Nadig, Amazon Fresh appears to be one of the likely tenants at the location of the the former Norridge KMart...
    http://nadignewspapers.com/2021/02/10/s ... ht-lipped/
    "Goldie, how many times have I told you guys that I don't want no horsin' around on the airplane?"
  • Post #36 - March 4th, 2021, 12:15 am
    Post #36 - March 4th, 2021, 12:15 am Post #36 - March 4th, 2021, 12:15 am
    That Nadig story also mentions a new Caputo's Fresh Market at 4400 N Harlem. Do they mean an Angelo Caputo's or something different? The new location is pretty close to the Angelo Caputo's in Elmwood Park.
  • Post #37 - March 11th, 2021, 2:31 pm
    Post #37 - March 11th, 2021, 2:31 pm Post #37 - March 11th, 2021, 2:31 pm
    Amazon Fresh opened in Bloomingdale on Thursday, the high-tech grocery chain’s fourth location in the Chicago area. The 40,000-square-foot-store, at 404 Army Trail Road.
    https://www.chicagotribune.com/business ... story.html
  • Post #38 - June 11th, 2021, 12:32 pm
    Post #38 - June 11th, 2021, 12:32 pm Post #38 - June 11th, 2021, 12:32 pm
    An Amazon Fresh store is planned for Morton Grove’s Sawmill Station shopping center, and will give the village its first full-service grocer since Dominick’s closed more than eight years ago.

An Amazon spokeswoman confirmed in an e-mail to Pioneer Press/Chicago Tribune Media Group that the online retail giant plans to open its fifth Chicago-area Fresh grocery store at the shopping center, located at the southeast corner of Dempster Street and Waukegan Road.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/ ... story.html
  • Post #39 - July 19th, 2021, 7:58 pm
    Post #39 - July 19th, 2021, 7:58 pm Post #39 - July 19th, 2021, 7:58 pm
    The Amazon Fresh location at Dempster and Waukegan is inching closer to opening. Signage is up.
  • Post #40 - July 23rd, 2021, 8:23 pm
    Post #40 - July 23rd, 2021, 8:23 pm Post #40 - July 23rd, 2021, 8:23 pm
    Amazon Fresh coming to Lincolnwood’s Purple Hotel site.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/ ... story.html
  • Post #41 - November 4th, 2021, 10:16 am
    Post #41 - November 4th, 2021, 10:16 am Post #41 - November 4th, 2021, 10:16 am
    Giovanna wrote:
    tcdup wrote:I went to the new Amazon Fresh in south Naperville the other day. It's in a space that is maybe half of an old Dominick's. It's a strange kind of hybrid store.

According to an article I read, they are targeting Aldi and Trader Joe shoppers, specifically higher-income people who shop at those stores but who think Whole Foods is too expensive. Shoppers looking for value but who won't shop at Wal-Mart. The 70% of Prime members who don't shop at Whole Foods.

I don't know if you could do your entire shopping there. As I said, sort of a weird niche.

Amazon Fresh
    3116 Rte 59
    Naperville

Thanks for this interesting info. Rumor has it that the grocery store that will open in the new mall at Dempster and Waukegan in Morton Grove will be an Amazon Fresh. The footprint of the store sounds right.

I do most of my shopping at either of the Fresh Farms in Niles. Amazon Fresh sound perfect for me when all I need is milk, bananas, and a couple of avocados. There's no place near me in Morton Grove to do a quick shop like that.

Wouldn't want to do my entire shopping at Aldi or Trader Joe's either, but I do go there.

Giovanna

Morton Grove is opening next week = https://www.chicagotribune.com/business ... story.html
  • Post #42 - November 5th, 2021, 4:12 pm
    Post #42 - November 5th, 2021, 4:12 pm Post #42 - November 5th, 2021, 4:12 pm
    Trib says a new Amazon Fresh grocery store opened Thursday in Wesmont, the fifth in Illinois and "the third nationwide to use the 'just walk out' technology" where cameras and other sensors track what customers pick up and add them to a virtual shopping cart. Has anyone been to the new store yet?

They also say that another new Amazon Fresh store in Morton Grove will open next week with that same technology. This is the store that is located where a defunct Dominic's used to be, back in the day, in what is now called Sawmill shopping center, southeast corner of Waukegan Road at Dempster in Niles. They have done a nice job of freshening up that shopping area. There is a new Cooper's Hawk restaurant that is already up and running and a big condo complex at the south end that is under construction.

ooops! I see someone beat me to it!
  • Post #43 - November 6th, 2021, 7:00 am
    Post #43 - November 6th, 2021, 7:00 am Post #43 - November 6th, 2021, 7:00 am
    Joy wrote:They also say that another new Amazon Fresh store in Morton Grove will open next week with that same technology. This is the store that is located where a defunct Dominic's used to be, back in the day, in what is now called Sawmill shopping center, southeast corner of Waukegan Road at Dempster in Niles.

Just to note, the entire center was torn down and rebuilt, I don't think there are any previous buildings still in use.

Amazon wasn't one of the original signed tenants - a movie theater complex pulled out early in the pandemic.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #44 - November 7th, 2021, 9:14 pm
    Post #44 - November 7th, 2021, 9:14 pm Post #44 - November 7th, 2021, 9:14 pm
    The question which still looms large in the neighborhoods where Amazon might be negotiating to open an outlet is whether it would disrupt brick-&-mortar stores [Tony's, Jewel-Osco, Cermak Produce, ~ I'm missing a bunch of Latinx grocers :| ] also present.
    The location around Irving Park, Lincoln, and Damen has been mentioned previously in LTHF. But nothing recently. Is Amazon waiting for the heat to die down before stating it will occupy what is being constructed there?
    Let me state for the record: Non-disclosure agreements are decidedly hostile to the general populace. I will go as far as endorsing leaks of those agreements in order to let the community know what is being planned.
    Valuable links for survival, without the monetization attempt: https://pqrs-ltd.xyz/bookmark4.html
  • Post #45 - November 8th, 2021, 7:13 am
    Post #45 - November 8th, 2021, 7:13 am Post #45 - November 8th, 2021, 7:13 am
    These are no where near where I shop, so it won't be an issue. However, I'm not sure I would be willing to trust this system. Did I get the sale price, etc.
  • Post #46 - November 8th, 2021, 9:24 am
    Post #46 - November 8th, 2021, 9:24 am Post #46 - November 8th, 2021, 9:24 am
    lougord99 wrote:These are no where near where I shop, so it won't be an issue. However, I'm not sure I would be willing to trust this system. Did I get the sale price, etc.

They're way ahead of you on technology. I've had an Amazon go near my office in the loop for a few years. Works like a charm. Scan yourself as you enter, pull any items off the shelf and walk out. A receipt is sent pretty much immediately. If you return an item to the shelf then it's automatically removed from your virtual basket. Not sure how it works if you randomly eject an item in a different section, but the rule-abider in me says you should suffer the consequences (but they likely have a way to deal with it).

I would be skeptical if I hadn't already been using the system a couple of times a month for a few years. Works surprisingly well.
  • Post #47 - November 8th, 2021, 12:28 pm
    Post #47 - November 8th, 2021, 12:28 pm Post #47 - November 8th, 2021, 12:28 pm
    Thanks.

Good to know.
  • Post #48 - November 11th, 2021, 6:05 pm
    Post #48 - November 11th, 2021, 6:05 pm Post #48 - November 11th, 2021, 6:05 pm
    The Amazon Fresh store at Sawmill in Morton Grove opened today. It seems everyone in the immediate vicinity was sent a big green postcard in the mail announcing the opening and dangling some enticements.

We did not make the 7:00 a.m. opening. Had we been one of the first 250 people in line (must be in line before store opening!) in the chilly morning misty rain, we would have been handed a “randomly selected Amazon Gift Card” with a value of $5, $10, $20 or $100. Everyone else holding the magic green postcard got $10 off when they spent $20. Or $20 off if you spent $50. This is good until Nov. 21.

We were there around 2 p.m. The parking lot was absolutely packed. The store was a zoo with people bumping into each other. The aisles seemed too small but maybe it was just the mob.

It is a very nice smallish store that would answer the call if you were in the middle of making dinner and didn’t have that one ingredient. You could dash in, grab and go. Fresh meats, a smallish butcher / fish and seafood counter. A larger section with fresh fruits and veggies. Bt if you looked closely at all the offerings, there were always also pre-prepped options: bags of chopped veg, salads and fruits but also prepared main dishes and heat-and-eat stuff.

A “kitchen” is struggling to get up and running offering nice looking but pricey sub sammies, slices of thin crust pizzas, hot foods in a sort of cafeteria looking set-up, a nice-sized sushi station with at least ten people working when we were there, etc. The bakery section will surely fill out their shelves soon. Big case of cold bottled and canned drinks including my favorite kombucha. You could get a really fast lunch or dinner if time was short.

Aisles with all the pantry stuff from snacks to pastas and sauces to soft drinks, salad dressings, all sorts of bottled sauces... it was very nicely done and if you couldn’t find your exact brand, you’d probably at least find a fair substitute.

The only thing that is disturbing is that when you 'check out,' you do not know how much you spent or if the seeing eye in the sky counted those three bananas accurately. And three hours after leaving the store, we still did not receive the receipt which is supposed to appear in our cell phone Amazon app. I am a receipt scrutinizer and have caught many errors in other stores. It irks me not to know the details.

But who knows? Maybe the robot overlords in the ceiling of the store have everything under control. Maybe I can learn to love Big Brother! hahahaha

Bu the way, there are small stations where you can walk up and "ask Alexa" where something is.
  • Post #49 - November 11th, 2021, 9:48 pm
    Post #49 - November 11th, 2021, 9:48 pm Post #49 - November 11th, 2021, 9:48 pm
    Joy wrote:The Amazon Fresh store at Sawmill in Morton Grove opened today. It seems everyone in the immediate vicinity was sent a big green postcard in the mail announcing the opening and dangling some enticements.

In the sales flyer for the Morton Grove grand opening they have a good deal $10 off a $20 purchase. Also all of Amazon branded 'Aplenty' products like BBQ sauce, Mustard, beans, frozen deserts, chips, cookies, etc.. are 50% off. So a BBQ sauce from Aplenty brand was like $1.25 and Dijon Mustard also around the same price.
  • Post #50 - November 11th, 2021, 11:39 pm
    Post #50 - November 11th, 2021, 11:39 pm Post #50 - November 11th, 2021, 11:39 pm
    Joy wrote:The only thing that is disturbing is that when you 'check out,' you do not know how much you spent or if the seeing eye in the sky counted those three bananas accurately. And three hours after leaving the store, we still did not receive the receipt which is supposed to appear in our cell phone Amazon app. I am a receipt scrutinizer and have caught many errors in other stores. It irks me not to know the details.

Can't help but think it's an opening day (week? month?) issue. The Amazon Go that I frequent has my receipt ready within a minute of exiting. Now it's a smaller store with far fewer customers/transactions but either the tech works or it doesn't. If this lag persists then it's a worry. In the meantime:

https://www.amazon.com/receipts
  • Post #51 - November 13th, 2021, 3:32 pm
    Post #51 - November 13th, 2021, 3:32 pm Post #51 - November 13th, 2021, 3:32 pm
    We did get our receipt of course and we're sure the late arrival glitch can be attributed to opening night jitters.

But we did notice we were charged for two raspberries when we only bought one. We did buy strawberries but were not charged for them. The difference in price was quite small and in our favor so no harm.

When you enter one of these stores, look up at the ceiling! Those are all the watchful sensors keeping track of you. Now I know they are not absolutely full proof.
  • Post #52 - January 14th, 2022, 4:40 pm
    Post #52 - January 14th, 2022, 4:40 pm Post #52 - January 14th, 2022, 4:40 pm
    Chicago’s competitive online grocery scene to get another player with California-based startup Farmstead.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/business ... story.html
  • Post #53 - June 15th, 2022, 5:23 pm
    Post #53 - June 15th, 2022, 5:23 pm Post #53 - June 15th, 2022, 5:23 pm
    It's official: Signs go up for new Amazon Fresh grocery store in Arlington Heights.
    https://www.dailyherald.com/business/20 ... on-heights
  • Post #54 - June 15th, 2022, 5:42 pm
    Post #54 - June 15th, 2022, 5:42 pm Post #54 - June 15th, 2022, 5:42 pm
    Ordered 10 or 11 items from Amazon fresh. Of the 3/12 packs of soda one was the wrong type. Bread seems slightly stale. Lunch meat was the wrong type. At least the planters honey roasted peanuts were spot on.

Mainly I ordered delivery so I wouldn’t have to carry a couple cases of water to and fro the car.

Delivery was on time, prices were sort of reasonable. The driver, though he didn’t speak English, was friendly and efficient.

Amazon fresh delivery is not high on my list of things to do again.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #55 - July 15th, 2022, 10:23 am
    Post #55 - July 15th, 2022, 10:23 am Post #55 - July 15th, 2022, 10:23 am
    The Amazon Fresh store in Morton Grove sent out big postcards to the locals offering Prime Members to save $20 when you spend $40 at Amazon Fresh store July 12 and 13, Prime Day. With our inflation problem, who could resist!

Especially when they include tempting specials like BOGOs on ground beef, bacon and shrimp. And great loss leaders like avocados two for $1, strawberries $1 a pack, all Campbell’s soup $1 a can or Hillshire Farm Kielbasa $1 each. The postcard was followed by a newspaper-sized double page flyer with more than 60 items offered.

So we went early the second day. Most of the advertised specials were completely sold out. Big stretches of empty bins and racks where avocados, strawberries etc. should have been. There was a vicious grabfest at the shrimp freezer but I was able to grab one bag of the correct shrimp. But not the second bag. There were no substitutions, we were told, so the smaller sized shrimp packs that were the same weight were not an option. I tossed the one bag back into the freezer. This would prove important later!

On and on it went. We had a list of items to total $40 but they were completely out of most of what we have tagged. Still the spend-$40-get-$20-off was out there so we subbed where we could or had to and our running total came to around $44.

When we went to “just walk out” we were surprised that the “traditional” check-out lines where you put your items on the belt and the cashier rings you up were mobbed. Why don’t they just walk out? we asked ourselves. Something about the mob scene made me think and I stopped and took a few snapshots of what was in our cart.

Then we "just walked out" and waited for the receipt to show up in the cellphone. By 11 p.m., it still had not materialized. But when we got up the next morning, there it was, posted at 6 am. $70 something. No $43. No $20 off. (We speculated that, since the offer was for the previous two days only, the fact that the receipt was posted at 6 am the following day meant that we were not entitled to the $20 off of $40 purchase).

And every item we had touched but put back because it was not the one on the flyer was listed as something we bought WOW!

Husband tried calling Amazon but the phone answerers could not help us, they said. We had to go back to the store and deal personally. Not the way I expected to spend my day! I was picturing the mob scene at the regular-old-checkout system from the previous day.

Instead, the place was quite empty. We were referred to the Customer Service desk tucked in the far corner where a very nice and extremely apologetic man commiserated with us as we told our tale. It turns out he was only able to mark certain items as ‘returns’ – that was how the receipt “got corrected”. He picked out about seven of the items, we all agreed that the total brough the purchase down to a little over $20, and we were done.

What a horrible mess!

You now, there are people on this chatlist that hate Mariano’s, won’t shop at Jerry’s, avoid Jewel. Put us down for never setting foot in an Amazon Prime store again! Hope you have a better experience!
  • Post #56 - July 15th, 2022, 10:30 am
    Post #56 - July 15th, 2022, 10:30 am Post #56 - July 15th, 2022, 10:30 am
    HI,

I had a $20 off coupon at Jewel. The $20 did not come off, so I paid and strolled over the manager. Showed them my phone, they returned $20 to my card and I left having paid 17 cents.

Here is the kicker: the $20 off coupon is still in my inbox, it was never removed.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #57 - July 15th, 2022, 10:32 am
    Post #57 - July 15th, 2022, 10:32 am Post #57 - July 15th, 2022, 10:32 am
    We had a less than pleasant time there a couple of months ago in Naperville. I won't go back, since Jewel has the majority of stuff I want (Amazon just wasn't stocked very well) or head out to Whole Foods for the organic or 365 brands and high end meat and produce. I just don't see this place sticking around too long.
  • Post #58 - July 15th, 2022, 10:34 am
    Post #58 - July 15th, 2022, 10:34 am Post #58 - July 15th, 2022, 10:34 am
    And that mob-scene at the "traditional" checkout lines the day before? We wonder if those folks weren't also there because they were charged wrong on the first Prime Day.
  • Post #59 - July 15th, 2022, 5:39 pm
    Post #59 - July 15th, 2022, 5:39 pm Post #59 - July 15th, 2022, 5:39 pm
    I've tried to shop in person at the Amazon Fresh in Morton Grove. I was hoping it would be convenient.

My experience has been that whatever day of the week I go there or whatever time of day I go the place is poorly stocked.

It's almost as if it's a storehouse for deliveries and you're grudgingly allowed to shop there.

Disappointed! (Kevin Kline voice)

Giovanna
    =o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

"Enjoy every sandwich."

-Warren Zevon
  • Post #60 - July 16th, 2022, 11:48 am
    Post #60 - July 16th, 2022, 11:48 am Post #60 - July 16th, 2022, 11:48 am
    Based on a flyer in the mail, an Amazon Fresh opened in Norridge this week. It's in the former K-Mart, across from Harlem-Irving Plaza. I haven't been and it doesn't seem like my kind of place, anyway.

4211 N. Harlem Ave, Norridge.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more