LTH Home

Memorable watermelon - still searching

Memorable watermelon - still searching
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Memorable watermelon - still searching

Post #1 - August 13th, 2013, 8:57 am
    Post #1 - August 13th, 2013, 8:57 am Post #1 - August 13th, 2013, 8:57 am
    For the last several years, to me it seems the watermelons start appearing earlier and earlier in the stores.
    This trend I believe has "dumbed down" the consumers' taste for good watermelon.
    I am so tired of buying watermelon, lugging it home, cutting it up, only to be disappointed over and over again.
    Every year I try again, my memory faded a bit by the long winters.
    I even started buying pre-cut watermelon (at a very high premium price), so I can smell if there is any sweetness present thru the cellophane wrap.
    To date, I can not even find a pre-cut watermelon piece that is worth the price.
    Watermelons should not appear until August, right?
    And don't get me started on picking a good one. I read and read and read, and always pick the most tasteless fruit there.
    If you have a fool-proof place for me to get watermelon, I would love to hear it.
  • Post #2 - August 13th, 2013, 11:56 pm
    Post #2 - August 13th, 2013, 11:56 pm Post #2 - August 13th, 2013, 11:56 pm
    Hi- Don't even waste your time at Dominick's or Jewel. I get most of my melons at the Evanston farmer's market, and I have had good luck with Nichol's, Seedling, and Green Acres. I believe they all sell at Green City too. Green Acres has some Korean watermelons they sell later in the season. Everything is late this year because of the cool summer we have been having, and homegrown watermelon is just starting. A lot of people here love Baylor's melons too. I had some of theirs at last years picnic, and it was good. They have several locations they sell at in the Chicago area. Hope this helps, Nancy
  • Post #3 - September 11th, 2021, 11:07 pm
    Post #3 - September 11th, 2021, 11:07 pm Post #3 - September 11th, 2021, 11:07 pm
    End of the season, I know but the red seedless watermelons from Three Sisters Garden have been amazing this year. Cut one up tonight that my wife and I agreed, was the best watermelon either of us had had in 20 years. But all the watermelons we've gotten from 3SG this year have been top tier. Tonight's, a ~20-pounder, was even at the top of that level.

If it's too late for this year, keep it in mind for next . . .

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #4 - September 11th, 2021, 11:55 pm
    Post #4 - September 11th, 2021, 11:55 pm Post #4 - September 11th, 2021, 11:55 pm
    Did Baylor's even come to Chicago this summer? Henry Brockman brought a melon to market today that supposedly supposed to be his favorite. He only brought a few melons though, and the average melon is 25 pounds which is too much melon for me, and you have to save the seeds to give to Henry next week because the seeds are unavailable. I considered getting a smaller melon for $5 at Nichols stand, but then I got enticed to buy the arona berries instead at Teresa's stand.
  • Post #5 - September 12th, 2021, 8:27 am
    Post #5 - September 12th, 2021, 8:27 am Post #5 - September 12th, 2021, 8:27 am
    I expect Baylor's opened this year, though I never came near to their neighborhood.

I was in South Dakota last week, where I bought seeded watermelons for the first time this year. I am about to crack them open, so I will update.

I also suggested they get in contact with Baylor's, though who knows what will come of that.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #6 - September 12th, 2021, 11:20 am
    Post #6 - September 12th, 2021, 11:20 am Post #6 - September 12th, 2021, 11:20 am
    NFriday wrote:I considered getting a smaller melon for $5 at Nichols stand, but then I got enticed to buy the arona berries instead at Teresa's stand.

We get these occasionally in our CSA box and while I love Nichols, these melons have never been anything worth going out of one's way for.

=R=
  • Post #7 - September 12th, 2021, 8:16 pm
    Post #7 - September 12th, 2021, 8:16 pm Post #7 - September 12th, 2021, 8:16 pm
    I grabbed a couple of melons this summer from the Baylor stand.

It may be out of the way but it is super reliable.

Delicious as usual.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #8 - September 13th, 2021, 10:58 pm
    Post #8 - September 13th, 2021, 10:58 pm Post #8 - September 13th, 2021, 10:58 pm
    pairs4life wrote:I grabbed a couple of melons this summer from the Baylor stand.

It may be out of the way but it is super reliable.

Delicious as usual.

Certainly easier than going to South Dakota! :P

=R=

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide