LTH Home

What do you wear when you're cooking?

What do you wear when you're cooking?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - August 16th, 2020, 5:29 pm
    Post #31 - August 16th, 2020, 5:29 pm Post #31 - August 16th, 2020, 5:29 pm
    Hi,

Lately, the trigger to get dressed for the day is when I commence to cook.

If I cook in my nightgown, I am haunted by the odors by meals past.

Fully dressed or in a nightgown, I wear shoes when I cook. A long time ago, a friend's mother-in-law dropped a Cuisinart blade on her foot. She was wheelchair bound for the next month recovering. You should see how fast I move whenever I drop a knife.

I am an avid apron wearer, because it just keeps laundry day a lot more manageable.

In the last few years, my Dad has decided aprons are just dandy. He took over two aprons with big pockets. When he goes to the fridge for hot dog condiments, whatever he cannot hold goes into those pockets. Need some soda, too, it just might be inside a pocket.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #32 - August 16th, 2020, 9:35 pm
    Post #32 - August 16th, 2020, 9:35 pm Post #32 - August 16th, 2020, 9:35 pm
    If I were to work in a commercial kitchen again, I would invest the $150 required to buy Doc Maartens slip resistant shoes. The shoes are grease resistant and are almost impossible to slip in. They are made for the oil and gas industry. There is nothing that you can do in a kitchen that will defeat those shoes.

I bought a couple of pairs that I found at a local thrift store and shipped them to my brother who works as a safety manager at a soap manufacturing facility.

==================

At home, I wear gym shorts, a t-shirt, and bare feet when cooking.
  • Post #33 - August 17th, 2020, 10:35 am
    Post #33 - August 17th, 2020, 10:35 am Post #33 - August 17th, 2020, 10:35 am
    It depends on the season, but I wear whatever I happen to have on, unless I've just gotten home from work (pre-Covid) and it's too "nice" to cook in.

If I think things may splatter or get messy,
    I put on an apron.
    Doing bread, I always remove my rings first.
    I'm either in flip flops or wool slippers depending on the season.
    "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home."
    ~James Michener
  • Post #34 - August 17th, 2020, 11:34 am
    Post #34 - August 17th, 2020, 11:34 am Post #34 - August 17th, 2020, 11:34 am
    I don't need any help ruining shirts, and I like the additional carrying capacity apron pockets provide, so I always wear one, unless I forget. Closed shoes are a must, though. I see so many people cook barefoot, even outside at their grills and turkey fryers. I'm in awe of these daredevils but I'm not in their league, so I don't emulate their practices.

=R=
    By protecting others, you save yourself. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself. --Kambei Shimada

Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #35 - August 17th, 2020, 2:55 pm
    Post #35 - August 17th, 2020, 2:55 pm Post #35 - August 17th, 2020, 2:55 pm
    What about a thermal long underwear top? It Has long sleeves and meant to keep you warm.
    What disease did cured ham actually have?
  • Post #36 - August 20th, 2020, 9:21 am
    Post #36 - August 20th, 2020, 9:21 am Post #36 - August 20th, 2020, 9:21 am
    I already replied to this but I will add regarding foot gear, I wear any comfortable shoe. Normally in the winter I wear Easy Spirit Traveltime clogs and they are the most comfortable shoe ever. I probably have 20 pair of them in different colors. Also you can wear birkenstocks and in winter just put socks on. Now I am wearing Teva slides, also very comfy. I don't pay much attention to things spilling on my feet never has happened so not that important to me. Lands end sells lots of washable fleece tops and you can also get some good deals on ebay. Right now there is a beautiful blue animal print fleece jacket on ebay in a size 2 X that would be great to wear in a chilly house. That is the kind of thing I wear over a thinner top and I can just take it off if I get hot.
    Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #37 - August 20th, 2020, 12:10 pm
    Post #37 - August 20th, 2020, 12:10 pm Post #37 - August 20th, 2020, 12:10 pm
    I'm in the club that likes to have foot covering. I've danced out of the way of more than one dropped knife. I'm clumsy :oops: .

I have a basket of old stained t shirts that I wear for cooking and gardening. And an old hoodie if it's chilly with t shirt underneath.

Although I wear fleece all chilly season, I do NOT wear fleece. It will melt if you wear it too close to a flame. Ask me how I know....

Giovanna
    =o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

"Enjoy every sandwich."

-Warren Zevon

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide