LTH Home

Ethnic Markets

Ethnic Markets
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - December 20th, 2014, 12:34 am
    Post #31 - December 20th, 2014, 12:34 am Post #31 - December 20th, 2014, 12:34 am
    NFriday wrote:If I can't get it at Erickson's does anybody know where else I can get Swedish brown beans?

Have you checked Hagen's Fish Market?

About ten posts up, Rene G wrote:
    NFriday wrote:My mother is from Sweden, and I usually visit Erickson's in Andersonville right before Christmas. They are not cheap, but right now they are the only game in town to get lukefish, and potato sausage since Wickstrom's closed a few years ago.

In Chicago, you can get lutefisk and potato sausage (lefse and lingonberries too!) at Hagen's [5635 W Montrose; 773-283-1944]. Fresh around the holidays, frozen year round. Also, Paulina Market has fresh potato sausage all year.
  • Post #32 - December 20th, 2014, 1:56 am
    Post #32 - December 20th, 2014, 1:56 am Post #32 - December 20th, 2014, 1:56 am
    Hi- I just did some more searching, and there is a company that imports Swedish food which I was trying to find on the net. I contacted them one year when I was desperate to find some brown beans and none of my usual sources had them, and I was told by them the crop in Sweden that year was miniscule, and I'd never be able to find them. The place is called Chicago Importing, but is located in Huntley, which is 50 miles from Chicago. When I checked their website, they don't even sell brown beans, and Erickson's is not one of the locations they sell to, and neither is Hagen's. The Swedish American Museum is though. I will call up the museum when they open up tomorrow, and ask them if Erickson's is open, and if they sell brown beans, or know somebody else that does. They are right across the street from Erickson's, and so I am sure that they know what is going on with the store. If I don't have any luck there, I might try Hagen's, and if they don't have it, I will just have to tell my sister that I am not bringing any this year. Thanks, Nancy
  • Post #33 - December 20th, 2014, 10:51 am
    Post #33 - December 20th, 2014, 10:51 am Post #33 - December 20th, 2014, 10:51 am
    Paulina Meat Market carries brown beans. I'd call them first, though, as the link notes that they are in short supply. $5 for 12 ounces.

Paulina Meat Market
    3501 N. Lincoln Avenue (corner of Lincoln & Cornelia)
    Chicago, IL 60657
  • Post #34 - December 20th, 2014, 1:10 pm
    Post #34 - December 20th, 2014, 1:10 pm Post #34 - December 20th, 2014, 1:10 pm
    Hi- I called Erickson's, and there was no answer, and so I assume that they are not open today, and somebody on Yelp reported that they were not open on 12/11. I then called the Swedish American Museum, and the guy who answered the phone did not know what brown beans were. He had to ask, and somebody suggested that I try Paulina and also Gene's Sausage. I also asked the guy about Erickson's, and if he knew when they were opening up, and he said that he heard that they were going to try to open up, but with the mother being sick, and all the problems with the building, including no hot or cold water, he said they have just been overwhelmed.

Well I tried Gene's, and they did not have them, but I then called up Paulina, and they did have them, and they are open until 5:00 today, and so I am going to head on over there today. Thanks for everybody's help, and I hope that Erickson's gets back on their feet soon, but with all their building problems, I would be leery buying anything perishable such as lutefisk this week there. Brown beans would be ok. Happy holidays, Nancy
  • Post #35 - December 20th, 2014, 11:12 pm
    Post #35 - December 20th, 2014, 11:12 pm Post #35 - December 20th, 2014, 11:12 pm
    Hi- I made it to Paulina Meat Market this afternoon, and they had plenty of brown beans. They are $4.95 a pound, and are in plastic containers. Since I had to drive over seven miles, I decided to get something else along with the brown beans, and I ended up getting some potato sausage and a smoked turkey drumstick. I love smoked turkey drumsticks, but the conventional ones I have gotten the last couple of times were so so, and the last batch I bought at Jewel a few weeks ago were awful. I am hoping this one is going to be better for $5.00 for one it better be good. BTW-They were selling Swedish limpa from Bennison's for $5.95 a loaf. I live two blocks from Bennison's, and I can get limpa at the store for $4. I was surprised how large their Swedish food section was.

Boy were they busy today. They were only supposed to be open until 5:00pm, but when I walked out of there at 4:40, they still had a ton of customers, and I bet you they did not close until probably 6:00.

After I left there, I went to Andersonville to check out Erickson's. There was somebody working in the store while I walked by, but they were not open. Apparently the 93 year old mother is in critical condition, and they still have a few minor repairs that need to be made, and that is what is holding them up. Apparently the repairs that still need to be made are in the back of the store, and not in the selling area. They suggest that people check with their facebook page for the latest news. I feel sorry for them, because probably 90% of their business takes place in December, and I don't see how they can open before Christmas
  • Post #36 - December 24th, 2014, 1:54 pm
    Post #36 - December 24th, 2014, 1:54 pm Post #36 - December 24th, 2014, 1:54 pm
    Looks like Erickson's was trying to make some holiday rush money without telling the city:

http://edgevillebuzz.com/news/ericksons ... -them-down
  • Post #37 - December 24th, 2014, 4:34 pm
    Post #37 - December 24th, 2014, 4:34 pm Post #37 - December 24th, 2014, 4:34 pm
    Never met an Ethnic Market I didn't
    find sumpin NEW in- to me- it's a great way to explore-save money
    and eat "right"!

Today- I was @ Kurowski's Sausage Shop- not a good place for vegetarians to shop- :P
    not that it's all animal based-
    but they do get serious about their smoked meats!
    Man- they must sell about 25 types of Kielbasa- and one day- I will get an English speaker-who also knows Polish-
    to tell me the subtle variations.
    Today- I purchased some Kielbasa from the "broken" section- for $1.99 lb. Random goodies in there.
    Got some pepper encrusted smoked ham- with a garlic in the center- for $3 sumpin' a pound.
    Got some THICK sliced bacon- about $4.00 a lb.
    Got some carrot slaw w/raisins- yummmm....Gouda Cheese for $3.99 lb.
    The deals go one.
    Dont go there after Church lets out- Its a Cluster-F#*k- between the Eastern European sharp elbows in the line
    at the deli counter- to the pointing and gesturing needed iffn ya dont Zimmwe Popolski- it can be unnerving
    at times.
    Kurowski Sausage Shop
    2978 N. Milwaukee (near Central Park)
    Chicago,IL

Also- Cermack Produce on N. Kedzie near Arun's Thai Restaurant
    and Carneceria Jimenez on Fullerton @ Avers continue to amaze me with fresh produce
    amazingly low prices- great cuts of meat +tasty pre-cooked foods such as BBQ Ribs, Puerto Rican Rice
    and a more "Mexican" Rice- and various "Carnitas"- sometimes Barbacoa @ Jimenez-as well as "Birria" on
    the weekends. Also- both sell cut up Papaya- cut up Pineapple,Watermelon and Cantaloupe
    in case you wanna get some fresh-fruits in your diet! :lol: [b][/b]

Jimenez Carneceria #2
    3580 W. Fullerton Ave
    Chicago

And- as others have mentioned Jung Boo- has the best "salad bar" ever!
    Kim Chee- BanChan (or do you say Pan-Chan)?-
    and other little snacks like dried anchovies and
    tasty little potato bombs- that look like peeled chestnuts
    in a slightly-sweet yet savory marinade- yumm!
    Really like the pickled cucumber there- and the pickled carrots with the fish cake strips that
    look like seitan.
    So good.

Chicago Food Corp (now called Jung Boo)
    3333 N. Kimball
    Chicago,IL
  • Post #38 - December 26th, 2014, 8:09 pm
    Post #38 - December 26th, 2014, 8:09 pm Post #38 - December 26th, 2014, 8:09 pm
    Hi- So Erickson's was open last weekend after all? It is strange, because after I tried calling them last Saturday, and not being able to get ahold of them, I assumed they weren't open. I ended up going to Paulina Meat Market instead, which is probably a little more expensive, but I also ended up getting a smoked turkey drumstick and some potato sausage while I was there, and so ended up spending $17. After I left Paulina at 4:45, I decided to drive to Erickson's to see what was going on. They had a piece of cardboard covering the sticker left by the city, and I thought that was strange, and they were closed, but there was somebody in the store working. Apparently they were open for over two days before somebody from the city got wind of what was going on and closed them down. I feel sorry for the owner, but that is just stupid to open up the store before the city gives you permission to. Apparently they are going to have to pay a hefty fine for opening up when they were not supposed to.

BTW-I just got back from New Orleans a few hours ago, and my sister and I had Christmas dinner, including a 10 pound turkey, and she commented about how much fresher the brown beans were that I picked up at Paulina. I brought some turkey, ham and dressing home with me, and at the New Orleans airport today, I got to go in the express security line today, but I put my two bags on the conveyor belt, and one of the bags was not coming out, and I finally asked about it, and one of the agents was holding the bag so he could search it. Apparently it was the ham that was in the bag that caused them to search the bag. I had to explain to him what was in the bag that he pulled out. I told him it was ham left over from Christmas dinner. Thanks, Nancy
  • Post #39 - April 26th, 2017, 2:15 pm
    Post #39 - April 26th, 2017, 2:15 pm Post #39 - April 26th, 2017, 2:15 pm
    imsscott wrote:As for potato sausage, I usually get it, along with Bond-ost cheese, from Koenemann's in Volo. I bought some potato sausage from Ikea once and it was Koenemann's also. They have online ordering too.

Koenemann's Sausage Co.
    27090 Volo Village Rd.
    Volo Illinois
    800-662-5584
    http://www.koenemannsausage.com

Hi,

Stopped by Koenemann's this afternoon to find it closed. There were two signs which offered no comfort:
    1. Closed due to new management change (or something to that affect). {Edit saw someone comment on their facebook page in January}
    2. Termination of electricity.

About two years ago, Koenemann's was sold to some Ukrainians. I wasn't really aware of this until I dropped by last summer. The Ukrainians were outside grilling samples of various sausages.

The new owners pledged to keep the old German recipes and introduce new sausages from other European countries. Pretty much it was Slavic and Ukrainian sausages they were adding to the mix.

Their phone and website is still operational. Yelp nor Google has not declared them closed.

If you aiming to visit them, I suggest calling in advance in the near term.

I hope the new management can recover from this set back.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #40 - April 27th, 2017, 9:18 pm
    Post #40 - April 27th, 2017, 9:18 pm Post #40 - April 27th, 2017, 9:18 pm
    For those of us who live in the suburbs, the number of places seems to be growing. On Dundee Rd. in Wheeling, in addition to Carniceria Jimenez, there is Krystyna's Deli (a local chain of primarily Polish grocery stores, and Sunrise is a substantial Indian grocery store.

About a year old now is the Patel Brother's grocery store in Schaumburg -- I think it's bigger than the one on Devon.

A much larger version of Krystyna's (aka KD Market) can be found in an almost entirely Eastern European strip mall out in Schaumburg, this one bordering on being pan-ethnic.

A bit closer in, at the corner of 83 and Oakton, there is a strip mall that is wildly multi-ethnic, with Japanese, Balkan, and Thai restaurants, and, since this is about markets, a terrific little Turkish grocery store: Istanbul Bazaar.

The world may be going to hell, but if you like ethnic grocery shopping, this is the best time in history to be alive. :)
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #41 - April 27th, 2017, 9:36 pm
    Post #41 - April 27th, 2017, 9:36 pm Post #41 - April 27th, 2017, 9:36 pm
    Cynthia wrote:About a year old now is the Patel Brother's grocery store in Schaumburg -- I think it's bigger than the one on Devon.

Do they have a snack counter like their store on Devon Ave? I'd love to stop in for some Bhel Puri.

Thanks!

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #42 - December 14th, 2017, 12:48 pm
    Post #42 - December 14th, 2017, 12:48 pm Post #42 - December 14th, 2017, 12:48 pm
    Hi- I am in the market for Swedish brown beans again. I bought a package at Paulina meat market in 2014, and a pound of the stuff lasts me two Christmases. When I went there in 2014, it was on a Saturday. When I went back there last year, I went on a weekday on the 22nd, and I could not find a parking place. I had to pick up one of my sisters at Midway so we could drive to Michigan for Christmas, and so I finally gave up. The first time I went I found a metered parking spot on Lincoln. Is there a good place to park around there.? They are not open on Sundays, and so I might go there this Saturday, since I assume the parking would be better. Any suggestions for parking would be appreciated. I would also be interested in alternate stores I could purchase it. Ikea used to carry brown beans, but I am not sure if they still do, and Schaumburg is a hike from Evanston, even though I love the store. I've already checked Gene's and they do not carry it

Speaking of Ikea, when I went on their website last night, I noticed that they are putting on a Julbord this Saturday. That would be an added incentive for me to go there this Saturday, but I am afraid that when I ge there Saturday, they are going to be sold out, and plus they are not going to have any brown beans. Thanks, Nancy
  • Post #43 - December 14th, 2017, 1:02 pm
    Post #43 - December 14th, 2017, 1:02 pm Post #43 - December 14th, 2017, 1:02 pm
    Assuming you know this, but in case you don't, Paulina does have a parking lot behind their building. Not sure how many spots available but I've never had trouble finding a spot the few times I've actually driven there (I only live a few blocks away so usually walk). Street parking can be a bit trickier but I definitely think it would be worse on the weekends, not better.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #44 - December 14th, 2017, 1:26 pm
    Post #44 - December 14th, 2017, 1:26 pm Post #44 - December 14th, 2017, 1:26 pm
    Thanks- I did not know they have parking. They don't mention it anywhere on their website. That definitely helps. Thanks, Nancy
  • Post #45 - December 16th, 2017, 6:31 pm
    Post #45 - December 16th, 2017, 6:31 pm Post #45 - December 16th, 2017, 6:31 pm
    It’s been a million years since I was at Paulina but I do remember there being no more than 4 or 5 parking spots directly behind their building...
    "Goldie, how many times have I told you guys that I don't want no horsin' around on the airplane?"
  • Post #46 - September 27th, 2021, 12:09 pm
    Post #46 - September 27th, 2021, 12:09 pm Post #46 - September 27th, 2021, 12:09 pm
    For anyone following...
    Unfortunately Koenemman's closed around 2017-18. A Ukraine group tried to continue it, but for some reason failed. Bende in Vernon Hills bought their recipes and has sold under that name. One posting said they recognized one of the Koenemann employees at Bende.
    https://www.bende.com/m/products.php

You mean lutefisk, don't you? As for potato sausage, I usually get it, along with Bond-ost cheese, from Koenemann's in Volo. I bought some potato sausage from Ikea once and it was Koenemann's also.
    Koenemann's Sausage Co.
    27090 Volo Village Rd.
    Volo Illinois
    800-662-5584
    http://www.koenemannsausage.com
  • Post #47 - September 28th, 2021, 5:44 pm
    Post #47 - September 28th, 2021, 5:44 pm Post #47 - September 28th, 2021, 5:44 pm
    Bende does offer a potato sausage. I don't know if it originated with Koenemann's or they always did it, because I never buy potato sausage.
    Cathy2

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more