LTH Home

Ethnic Markets

Ethnic Markets
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 2
  • Ethnic Markets

Post #1 - January 1st, 2014, 5:40 pm
    Post #1 - January 1st, 2014, 5:40 pm Post #1 - January 1st, 2014, 5:40 pm
    I wrote an article about Chicago ethnic markets on my blog (http://www.thechildrenstable.com) and thought you all might be interested. Curious if any of you know of some gems that I don't know about.

There are a few things I love about ethnic markets:

1) The prices are sometimes shockingly lower than at the regular grocery store. I think that part of this has to do with the fact that they don’t really compete with local grocery stores, I guess because very few mainstream Americans go there. This goes especially for produce, dried goods like lentils and rice, and spices. At Indian markets, I promise you can get large packages of fresh spices for a fraction of what you pay at the grocery store. I NEVER buy spices at the grocery store.

2) I love finding a reliable source for delicious things that are outside the scope of usual American grocery stores. I get giddy when I find oregano from the Greek Peloponnese, Jamaican Jerk paste, mustardy European mayonnaise, or even more basic things that simply do not match with mainstream American tastes or buying habits, like whole fish or shrimp with the heads on (did you know that shrimp come with heads? They impart a ton of flavor!). Incidently, I get the same thrill from stashing French toiletries in my bag and pulling them out at home, as if returning from an illicit shopping trip. It has always irked me that we are beholden to the narrow preferences and tastes of our countrymen, and I enjoy flaunting this whenever possible. I do the same in France, where I arrive with chipotle and hot sauce, my silent protest against their stubborn and near-fanatical national refusal to accept heat in their food. (This goes even for Tex Mex restaurants in France, where you will find things like chili without the chile powder spice, which strikes me as not unlike a black and white print of an impressionist painting.)

3) I kind of have a beef with many American processed food products. Often, I find them artificial-tasting, over processed, overly sweetened, and containing far too many weird chemical ingredients. If you’re not extremely vigilant, you can end up realizing that the coffee cream you bought (in the dairy section) is actually made from partially hydrogenated cottonseed oil, or the apple sauce you brought home (as I recently did) contains high fructose corn syrup, “natural apple flavors” and Yellow 6. One taste of the apple sauce and I thought I was eating green apple candy, which I hate. Americans either are used to or actually prefer these tastes, but this is not the case in other countries. I am constantly amazed that other manufacturers from around the world manage to produce comparable, shelf-stable products with nothing more than what you would add if you made it from scratch. Why is this so??? I have no idea but my solution is to mostly make things myself or sidestep the US food product market altogether (except for high-end or organic products) and buy imported sauces, frozen foods, jams, crackers, etc. which are easy to find thanks to Trader Joe’s, Whole Foods, and a variety of ethnic markets that I frequent.

I was talking to a friend of mine the other day, however, and she brought it to my attention that ethnic markets are completely unfamiliar to many people. This includes not only knowing what to buy but even where to go to find them. So I thought it would be useful to do a post about ethnic markets and specifically where to go in the Chicago area. I will offer an overview of what I especially like to look for in different types of markets and which ones in particular I love the most (these are skewed toward the North Side because this is where I live).

Like any city, the array of markets in Chicago is reflective of immigrant populations, and as such there are some notable absences. Most sadly to me, there are no extensive Italian markets, although I hear that Mario Bataly’s Eataly is coming soon. (update: It's here!!!) Don’t count on great prices there though!

Asian Markets (most common in Chicago are Chinese and Korean)

H Mart – 801 Civic Center Dr., Niles, IL – This place is truly the queen of Asian markets, and is worth a visit if you are at all interested in Korean cuisine or culture. It’s kind of a mall, with a gigantic grocery store surrounded by various food stalls, bakeries, cosmetic shops, and more. You can even buy a Korean-style toilet with lots of fancy buttons (what are they all for??) if you find the American ones inadequate. The real treat here is the extensive selection of fresh seafood. Look for: Homemade noodles, Korean pickled vegetables, great produce, and the best selection of fresh seafood in the entire Chicago area.

Joong Boo Market – 3333 N. Kimball – More convenient to downtown, you can get all the Asian staples here and they have a well-stocked home goods area. Look for: High quality tofu, ingredients for Korean barbecue.

Thuong Xa My Broadway Supermarket - 4879 N. Broadway- Well-stocked Vietnamese market that also carries a variety of Asian products. Look for: Very inexpensive knives that are fit for a samurai.

Middle Eastern Markets

Middle East Bakery – 1512 W. Foster – This small but excellent Middle Eastern market offers many of the Middle Eastern staples such as spice blends, olive oils, nuts and dried fruits, and flat breads. They also have some prepared foods including little pies, hummus and other dips. Look for: Labneh yogurt cheese, yogurt dips, and beautiful jars of honey and nuts that make a great topping for yogurt.

Nazareth Sweets – 4638 N. Kedzie Ave. – This place is a tiny bakery with the most exquisite, densely packed, rows of Middle Eastern pastry. They are uniformly sticky, gooey and nutty, made with various combinations of filo, honey, butter, pistachios or walnuts, and rose or orange flower water. Nut allergies, stay away.

Indian Grocers

Devon Avenue boasts a number of excellent Indian and Pakistani grocers. These are great for spices, rice, lentils, and a beautiful array of produce. I also highly recommend the frozen Indian meals which offer delicious vegetarian options made with straightforward ingredients and for very reasonable prices. The last one I bought was a sweet vegetable curry called Navrattan Korma, made by Deep Indian Gourmet, and it was great. Look for: Frozen naan, inexpensive spices, red lentils, and exceptional frozen breads and meals. Check out Patel Bros.- 2610 W. Devon Ave. and Fresh Farms- 2626 W. Devon Ave.

Eastern European Markets

Devon Market- 1440 W. Devon Ave.- This little grocery store has a convenient parking lot, a lot of nice produce and an array of Eastern European products, mostly Polish. Good Eastern European products include yogurt (you’ll never go back to Dannon Light…), bread, smoked sausage, jams, chocolate, and real fruit syrups for drinks. Look for: Blackcurrant Syrup, house-made bread, honey, and chocolate.

City Fresh Market- 3201 W. Devon Ave. Another great little Eastern European to check out if you’re looking for jarred vegetable spread, baklava, fresh breads and more.

Latino Markets

These are all across the Chicago area (and many other cities with large Hispanic populations) and they are excellent places to get a wide variety of produce at good prices. Of course, there is also an array of (mostly Mexican) products if you are interested in exploring them. Some things to look out for are fresh tortillas, dried chiles, Mexican-style sour cream, Dulce de leche (cooked sweetened condensed milk) and tamales. You can also buy all the materials for making homemade tortillas, a fun project which I plan to do in a future post.

A few to check out are: Edgewater Produce - 5509 N. Clark St., Cermak Produce - 4234 N. Kedzie Ave., and what we like to call the Whole Foods of Mexican markets, Pete’s Fresh Market, which has a number of (all very inconvenient for me) locations across the Chicago area. There is also a small South American market on Southport called El Mercado - 3767 N. Southport Ave. that has a meat counter and a variety of Argentinian and Brazilian products.
  • Post #2 - January 1st, 2014, 5:57 pm
    Post #2 - January 1st, 2014, 5:57 pm Post #2 - January 1st, 2014, 5:57 pm
    Hi- A friend of mine from China loves H Mart. You can also get ethnic vegetables at the farmer's market's, and in particular at Green City and Evanston. Henry Brockman an organic grower that comes to the Evanston market, is married to somebody from Japan, and he grows tons of Asian veggies which he sells at the Evanston market. His veggies are very reasonable considering the fact that they are certified organic. He is one of my favorite farmers at the Evanston market.

My mother is from Sweden, and I usually visit Erickson's in Andersonville right before Christmas. They are not cheap, but right now they are the only game in town to get lukefish, and potato sausage since Wickstrom's closed a few years ago. They are at 5250 N. Clark in Chicago. Hope this helps, Nancy
  • Post #3 - January 1st, 2014, 6:46 pm
    Post #3 - January 1st, 2014, 6:46 pm Post #3 - January 1st, 2014, 6:46 pm
    NFriday wrote: My mother is from Sweden, and I usually visit Erickson's in Andersonville right before Christmas. They are not cheap, but right now they are the only game in town to get lukefish, and potato sausage since Wickstrom's closed a few years ago. They are at 5250 N. Clark in Chicago. Hope this helps, Nancy

Erickson's Delicatessen has survived in Andersonville since 1925 — but dire financial straits have the Scandinavian deli seeking $20,000 in donations to keep it there.
    http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20131223/andersonville/ericksons-deli-fighting-survive-after-88-years-andersonville
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #4 - January 1st, 2014, 7:39 pm
    Post #4 - January 1st, 2014, 7:39 pm Post #4 - January 1st, 2014, 7:39 pm
    I have been to that deli but I'm not all that familiar with Scandinavian food. One thing I do love is that hearty loaf bread you find in Scandinavia. Anyone know if any local bakeries make something like that?
  • Post #5 - January 1st, 2014, 7:57 pm
    Post #5 - January 1st, 2014, 7:57 pm Post #5 - January 1st, 2014, 7:57 pm
    Hi- Are you referring to limpa rye bread? You can get it at the Swedish Bakery in Andersonville, Ikea, and Bennison's and Tag's in Evanston I know for sure. I am sure that there are other bakeries you can buy it at too. I just bought a loaf of limpa at Bennison's this last Friday. I've also made it myself a few times, and my grandmother used to make it for us when we visited her. Hope this helps, Nancy
  • Post #6 - January 1st, 2014, 8:05 pm
    Post #6 - January 1st, 2014, 8:05 pm Post #6 - January 1st, 2014, 8:05 pm
    Hi- Thanks for the information about Erickson's. I know that they were closed for at least a month in 2012, when one of the family members was sick, and so I checked to see if they were still up and running this afternoon before I posted about them. I did not make it there this Christmas. It seems like they do probably 75% of their business right before Christmas. Three years ago I stopped in the store on 12/23 to purchase a bag of Swedish brown beans, and I waited in line for 1 1/2 hours. I ended up getting some potato sausage too to make it worth my while. I learned my lesson after that experience, and now I go there at least a week before Christmas, since we do not do lukefish anymore in my family. I might make it a point to visit the store once the weather improves. It sounds like they can use my business. Thanks, Nancy
  • Post #7 - January 1st, 2014, 8:29 pm
    Post #7 - January 1st, 2014, 8:29 pm Post #7 - January 1st, 2014, 8:29 pm
    Here is the link for the funding appeal for Erickson's Deli.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/save- ... licatessen

I was right about Christmas being the only busy time at the store, and so they need your business too the rest of the year. They have 25 days left to raise $20,000, and they have only raised under $2,000 so far. I love their potato sausage.
  • Post #8 - January 1st, 2014, 10:01 pm
    Post #8 - January 1st, 2014, 10:01 pm Post #8 - January 1st, 2014, 10:01 pm
    Mitsuwa in Arlington Heights is great for Japanese. Grocery store, bakery, liquor store, and food court. When I was looking for food gifts to bring home from a trip to Japan, I found myself saying with some regularity, "no -- I can get that it Mitsuwa."

Arax Foods in Niles is good for Armenian food.

Actually, Niles is pretty much wall-to-wall ethnic grocery stores.

I don't remember the name of the store, but when we ate at Palace Gates, a Ghanaian restaurant in the city, there was an African grocery store in the same strip mall.
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #9 - January 1st, 2014, 11:43 pm
    Post #9 - January 1st, 2014, 11:43 pm Post #9 - January 1st, 2014, 11:43 pm
    NFriday wrote:Here is the link for the funding appeal for Erickson's Deli.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/save- ... licatessen

I was right about Christmas being the only busy time at the store, and so they need your business too the rest of the year. They have 25 days left to raise $20,000, and they have only raised under $2,000 so far. I love their potato sausage.

While I appreciate their presence in the community I'm having difficulty understanding how $20,000 will fix anything. Seems like a short-term fix as opposed to ensuring longevity.
  • Post #10 - January 2nd, 2014, 1:38 am
    Post #10 - January 2nd, 2014, 1:38 am Post #10 - January 2nd, 2014, 1:38 am
    Hi Erickson's is also encouraging people to shop at the store throughout the year, and not just at Christmas. It sounds like they will try to remain open even if they don't raise the $20,000, but they might be forced to move to a cheaper location.
  • Post #11 - January 2nd, 2014, 8:41 am
    Post #11 - January 2nd, 2014, 8:41 am Post #11 - January 2nd, 2014, 8:41 am
    Looking forward to checking out Mitsuwa. Thanks, Cynthia!
  • Post #12 - January 2nd, 2014, 8:44 am
    Post #12 - January 2nd, 2014, 8:44 am Post #12 - January 2nd, 2014, 8:44 am
    BTW, just looked up Mitsuwa. OMG!! How did I not know about that place?!
  • Post #13 - January 2nd, 2014, 9:05 am
    Post #13 - January 2nd, 2014, 9:05 am Post #13 - January 2nd, 2014, 9:05 am
    CharlotteBeth wrote:BTW, just looked up Mitsuwa. OMG!! How did I not know about that place?!

Also, while you mention Fresh Farms as one of your "Indian" markets, you make no mention of the much larger location on Touhy in Niles which has a broad range of ethnic products.
  • Post #14 - January 2nd, 2014, 1:26 pm
    Post #14 - January 2nd, 2014, 1:26 pm Post #14 - January 2nd, 2014, 1:26 pm
    Mitsuwa is the shizz, can't take anything away from that. There is also Tensuke which is about a mile due south of Mitsuwa. Smaller, little cheaper with some things. Mitsuwa is great tho.

For Latino grocers, the Jimenez chain are usually big, one stop shops. Pretty unintimidating (guess that's a good word) for timid gringos. Some of them have taquerias, too.

Chicago Food Corp (joong Boo)
    H Mart
    Mitsuwa
    Tensuke
    A-1 Indian grocer out west
    And the Asian mkt on Broadway in the NE corner of that little strip mall just n of Lawrence are the ethnic markets I just love going to.
    I've never been, but I think much love goes to Assi Plaza in Niles?
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #15 - January 2nd, 2014, 2:02 pm
    Post #15 - January 2nd, 2014, 2:02 pm Post #15 - January 2nd, 2014, 2:02 pm
    seebee wrote:Mitsuwa is the shizz, can't take anything away from that. There is also Tensuke which is about a mile due south of Mitsuwa. Smaller, little cheaper with some things. Mitsuwa is great tho.

For Latino grocers, the Jimenez chain are usually big, one stop shops. Pretty unintimidating (guess that's a good word) for timid gringos. Some of them have taquerias, too.

Chicago Food Corp (joong Boo)
    H Mart
    Mitsuwa
    Tensuke
    A-1 Indian grocer out west
    And the Asian mkt on Broadway in the NE corner of that little strip mall just n of Lawrence are the ethnic markets I just love going to.
    I've never been, but I think much love goes to Assi Plaza in Niles?

A very nice fellow at Assi Plaza helped me find the ingredients I needed for an Asian meal I was concocting a few months ago. Very nice store; not as big as H Mart, so a little easier to navigate.
    "When I'm born I'm a Tar Heel bred, and when I die I'm a Tar Heel dead."
  • Post #16 - January 3rd, 2014, 10:37 pm
    Post #16 - January 3rd, 2014, 10:37 pm Post #16 - January 3rd, 2014, 10:37 pm
    CharlotteBeth wrote:BTW, just looked up Mitsuwa. OMG!! How did I not know about that place?!

I think you'll enjoy it. And if you like ramen, the special pork ramen in the food court is amazing.

seebee wrote:For Latino grocers, the Jimenez chain are usually big, one stop shops. Pretty unintimidating (guess that's a good word) for timid gringos. Some of them have taquerias, too.

And I second the vote for Carniceria Jimenez. The one I shop at is in Wheeling, which I figured was too far removed from the city to include -- but I forgot it's a chain. Fabulous place, with everything you need to cook just about anything from Latin America.
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #17 - January 4th, 2014, 1:14 am
    Post #17 - January 4th, 2014, 1:14 am Post #17 - January 4th, 2014, 1:14 am
    NFriday wrote:
    My mother is from Sweden, and I usually visit Erickson's in Andersonville right before Christmas. They are not cheap, but right now they are the only game in town to get lukefish, and potato sausage...

You mean lutefisk, don't you? As for potato sausage, I usually get it, along with Bond-ost cheese, from Koenemann's in Volo. I bought some potato sausage from Ikea once and it was Koenemann's also. They have online ordering too. I'd prefer Erickson's as it is more Swedish and they have limpa and pressed sylta and other Swedish goodies, but it's just too hard to make the trip in from where I live.

Koenemann's Sausage Co.
    27090 Volo Village Rd.
    Volo Illinois
    800-662-5584
    http://www.koenemannsausage.com
    "Good stuff, Maynard." Dobie Gillis
  • Post #18 - January 4th, 2014, 3:43 am
    Post #18 - January 4th, 2014, 3:43 am Post #18 - January 4th, 2014, 3:43 am
    Hi- Thanks for the info. Yes it is lutefisk. Volvo is way to far for me. I only live about 5 miles from Erickson's.
  • Post #19 - January 4th, 2014, 3:03 pm
    Post #19 - January 4th, 2014, 3:03 pm Post #19 - January 4th, 2014, 3:03 pm
    NFriday wrote:My mother is from Sweden, and I usually visit Erickson's in Andersonville right before Christmas. They are not cheap, but right now they are the only game in town to get lukefish, and potato sausage since Wickstrom's closed a few years ago.

In Chicago, you can get lutefisk and potato sausage (lefse and lingonberries too!) at Hagen's. Fresh around the holidays, frozen year round. Also, Paulina Market has fresh potato sausage all year.

Hagen's Fish Market
    5635 W Montrose Av
    Chicago
    773-283-1944
    http://www.hagensfishmarket.com/

Paulina Market
    3501 N Lincoln Av
    Chicago
    773-248-6272
    http://paulinameatmarket.com/
  • Post #20 - January 4th, 2014, 3:24 pm
    Post #20 - January 4th, 2014, 3:24 pm Post #20 - January 4th, 2014, 3:24 pm
    Who knew there was so much interest in lutefisk??! :)
  • Post #21 - January 4th, 2014, 9:50 pm
    Post #21 - January 4th, 2014, 9:50 pm Post #21 - January 4th, 2014, 9:50 pm
    Hi- Lutefisk does not have a lot of taste, and you have to add lots of white sauce and ample amounts of pepper to make it edible. We had it every year on Christmas eve until my mother died. I poled the family to see if they wanted me to pick up some and they said no. We still have Swedish brown beans and silsalad at Christmas time. Silsalad is a salad made out of boiled potatoes that have been cut up beets, apples and herring.
  • Post #22 - January 6th, 2014, 8:46 pm
    Post #22 - January 6th, 2014, 8:46 pm Post #22 - January 6th, 2014, 8:46 pm
    There are a lot of things of Swedish origin worth preserving. Erickson's is NOT one of them.

God Jul, Ett Gott Nytt År!
  • Post #23 - January 6th, 2014, 9:58 pm
    Post #23 - January 6th, 2014, 9:58 pm Post #23 - January 6th, 2014, 9:58 pm
    sundevilpeg wrote:There are a lot of things of Swedish origin worth preserving. Erickson's is NOT one of them.

lol
  • Post #24 - January 27th, 2014, 4:24 pm
    Post #24 - January 27th, 2014, 4:24 pm Post #24 - January 27th, 2014, 4:24 pm
    Filipino market: Unimart - few locations http://unimartonestop.com/

Asian market (Vietnamese, Thai, Filipino) - Viet Hoa 1051 W Argyle St, Chicago, IL 60640

Asian market (Vietnamese, Thai, Filipino) - Tai Nam 4925 N Broadway, Chicago, IL 60640 http://www.tainammarket.com/
    *They have a great selection of gluten free/rice noodles in various shapes for a fraction of the cost of gluten free pastas elsewhere!

Middle Eastern market - Sahar International Supermarket 4851 N Kedzie Ave, Chicago IL 60625 http://www.saharchicago.com/

Middle Eastern market - Middle East Bakery & Grocery 1512 W Foster Ave, Chicago, IL 60640 http://www.middleeastbakeryandgrocery.com/

Cuban market - La Unica 1515 W Devon Ave, Chicago IL 60660
    *They have a great take out/dine in cafe counter. Their cafe con leche and cubano sandwiches are really good.

Chinese market - Richweel market 6120 W Dempster Ave; Morton Grove, IL 60053

There's tons more out there and I believe there is a book out there that highlights the awesome ethnic markets around the area.
  • Post #25 - January 27th, 2014, 8:31 pm
    Post #25 - January 27th, 2014, 8:31 pm Post #25 - January 27th, 2014, 8:31 pm
    CharlotteBeth wrote:
    sundevilpeg wrote:There are a lot of things of Swedish origin worth preserving. Erickson's is NOT one of them.

lol

????
    I don't get it.
    "Good stuff, Maynard." Dobie Gillis
  • Post #26 - February 16th, 2014, 7:34 pm
    Post #26 - February 16th, 2014, 7:34 pm Post #26 - February 16th, 2014, 7:34 pm
    Just found this list by LAZ on Russian goods and thought I'd add it to the discussion.

There are also a number of Russian delis and groceries that can provide some of the dishes desired as carryout options, including:

Three Sisters Delicatessen
    2854 W. Devon Ave.
    Chicago
    773/973-1919

Greenwood Market
    8716 W. Golf Road
    Niles
    847/803-0013

Odessa Market
    1241 W. Dundee Road, Buffalo Grove
    6313 Woodward Ave., Downers Grove
    2054 W. Chicago Ave., Chicago
    6247 N. Milwaukee Ave., Chicago
    773/775-7700

Shtram's Deli
    341 E. Dundee Road
    Wheeling
    847/520-5272

Arcadia Deli
    Arlington Club Commons
    27 Huntington Lane (at Dundee Road)
    Wheeling
    847/279-8975

LAZ
  • Post #27 - February 17th, 2014, 12:22 am
    Post #27 - February 17th, 2014, 12:22 am Post #27 - February 17th, 2014, 12:22 am
    CharlotteBeth wrote:Just found this list by LAZ on Russian goods and thought I'd add it to the discussion.

That list is over five years old and some of the shops have gone out of business (I'm not absolutely certain about some so I won't mention them here).

For me, Alef Sausage is the beginning and end of Russian delis around here. Unfortunately for me, it's located in Mundelein, about 40 miles from downtown. I haven't come close to visiting all the Russian delis in the northwest suburbs but I'd be surprised if any beat Alef.

That's their sausage and smoked fish case. At the far end of the store, around the corner to the right are other cases holding prepared foods (photo here). It's a great store.

Much more accessible for me is Eurostyle in Skokie, a short walk from the Yellow Line.

Alef Sausage & Deli
    354 Townline Rd
    Mundelein IL
    847-566-0008
    http://www.alefsausage.com/home

Eurostyle Deli
    4861 Oakton St
    Skokie IL
    847-329-1430
  • Post #28 - December 19th, 2014, 5:04 pm
    Post #28 - December 19th, 2014, 5:04 pm Post #28 - December 19th, 2014, 5:04 pm
    Hi- Has anybody been to Erickson's Swedish deli on Clark Street lately.? I need some Swedish brown beans, and that is the most convenient location for me. Last time I got some, I had problems finding them open when I got there, and I think I had to make a total of three trips there, and wait in line for 45 minutes on my third and final trip to get some. I just checked their facebook page, and it sounds like somebody in the family that used to work in the store is or at least was recently in the hospital, and the store is five miles away for me, and I don't want to make a trip to find out that they are not open. According to their facebook page, they are supposed to be open from 9:00am-4:00pm tomorrow, which is Saturday. Are the chances good that they will be open tomorrow afternoon? Apparently according to their facebook page, they were closed for a while in November due to needed repairs to the building being made. If I can't get it at Erickson's does anybody know where else I can get Swedish brown beans? I know Ikea carries them, but I don't want to drive all the way out to Schaumburg, and Treasure Island in Wilmette used to carry them, but the last time I inquired, the assistant manager I asked, did not even know what they were. Thanks, Nancy
  • Post #29 - December 19th, 2014, 8:56 pm
    Post #29 - December 19th, 2014, 8:56 pm Post #29 - December 19th, 2014, 8:56 pm
    NFriday wrote:Hi- Has anybody been to Erickson's Swedish deli on Clark Street lately.? I need some Swedish brown beans, and that is the most convenient location for me. Last time I got some, I had problems finding them open when I got there, and I think I had to make a total of three trips there, and wait in line for 45 minutes on my third and final trip to get some. I just checked their facebook page, and it sounds like somebody in the family that used to work in the store is or at least was recently in the hospital, and the store is five miles away for me, and I don't want to make a trip to find out that they are not open. According to their facebook page, they are supposed to be open from 9:00am-4:00pm tomorrow, which is Saturday. Are the chances good that they will be open tomorrow afternoon? Apparently according to their facebook page, they were closed for a while in November due to needed repairs to the building being made. If I can't get it at Erickson's does anybody know where else I can get Swedish brown beans? I know Ikea carries them, but I don't want to drive all the way out to Schaumburg, and Treasure Island in Wilmette used to carry them, but the last time I inquired, the assistant manager I asked, did not even know what they were. Thanks, Nancy

I read this article a couple weeks ago. It doesn't look good.
    http://edgevillebuzz.com/news/ericksons ... -decisions
  • Post #30 - December 19th, 2014, 9:49 pm
    Post #30 - December 19th, 2014, 9:49 pm Post #30 - December 19th, 2014, 9:49 pm
    Hi- This does not sound good. I did check their facebook page, and it was unclear as to whether they were open or not. It said that they were going to be open 9:00-4:00 tomorrow, but I also saw something from a few weeks ago where they were temporarily closing due to some non health related problems with the store. I read the comments that people left, and it sounds like they were shut down by the health department for health related problems such as rat droppings. Somebody also mentioned that they had no hot or cold running water. I know the93 year old mother of the owner has been really sick, and so maybe the daughter has been focusing all of her attention on the mother instead of the business. I hate to see them go out of business, but it does not look good. Thanks for the link. Maybe I will call before I drive over there tomorrow.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more