LTH Home

Road Kill Deer

Road Kill Deer
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - July 19th, 2022, 2:11 pm
    Post #31 - July 19th, 2022, 2:11 pm Post #31 - July 19th, 2022, 2:11 pm
    The Changing Landscape of Eating Roadkill
    One way to make sense of the senseless slaughter of roadkill? Salvage it for food.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/e ... ilto_share
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #32 - July 20th, 2022, 3:34 pm
    Post #32 - July 20th, 2022, 3:34 pm Post #32 - July 20th, 2022, 3:34 pm
    It's actually a longstanding, legal practice in many states (including ours). Years back, when I lived in Ohio, I was coming back from a gig late at night, and came over a ridge on a rural highway. I hit and killed two deer simultaneously. The state trooper who showed up to assist me was very kind and when three guys in a pickup drove up and asked if they could take the deer, the trooper said, "please do - it's legal and I don't want to deal with this." I had no idea! But consider the economics of this: I fed a few guys and their friends at the cost of two dead deer and $2,500 in car damage. It's like if Alinea had a "murder menu."
  • Post #33 - July 20th, 2022, 5:20 pm
    Post #33 - July 20th, 2022, 5:20 pm Post #33 - July 20th, 2022, 5:20 pm
    Hi,

Long ago, I heard my local police department is expected to report each roadkill deer to the DNR. There is sufficient population, they report in about once a month.

Long ago, I learned you can get your name on a list of available roadkill deer. It may still be, though I did not call to double check since my initial inquiry years ago.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #34 - July 22nd, 2022, 12:43 pm
    Post #34 - July 22nd, 2022, 12:43 pm Post #34 - July 22nd, 2022, 12:43 pm
    To claim a ‘road kill’ deer in Wisconsin, you must get the deer tagged by the local Sheriff, other wise it is poaching. The driver of the vehicle that hit the deer has first right, any other person can claim the deer if the driver doesn’t want it.
    I personally would not hesitate to claim one if I saw the actual hit or came upon the accident shortly after.
    I carry 50gal plastic garbage bags around in my wagon for various purposes.
    I would not just sling a deer into my vehicle because it will leaking blood and other bodily fluids. It is for the experienced.
    There is also a list of Food Pantries in Wisconsin that will pick up a deer from you and process for Food Pantries.
    It reads like good print but in reality it’s a messy business that you must understand and be proficient in, otherwise a fine, spoiled meat and sickness are probable.
    -Richard
    BTW, Any ‘road kill’ in Wisconsin is ‘protected’. The best you can do is notify the DNR of the species and where it is and ask if you can have it. If they agree, the DNR will issue the proper paperwork. Same goes for flora. You can’t pick the flowers on State Land.
    The various winged scavengers from crows to turkey vultures sure appreciated the ‘road kill’. So do skunks, raccoons and a host of other predators, so the meat does not go to waste actually. It’s just the ego-centric nature of the writer of the referenced article that doesn't understand how nature works, we call them ‘City People’.
    Last edited by budrichard on July 22nd, 2022, 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #35 - July 22nd, 2022, 12:47 pm
    Post #35 - July 22nd, 2022, 12:47 pm Post #35 - July 22nd, 2022, 12:47 pm
    budrichard wrote:To claim a ‘road kill’ deer in Wisconsin, you must get the deer tagged by the local Sheriff, other wise it is poaching. The driver of the vehicle that hit the deer has first right, any other person can claim the deer if the driver doesn’t want it.
    I personally would not hesitate to claim one if I saw the actual hit or came upon the accident shortly after.
    I would not just sling a deer into my vehicle because it will leaking blood and other bodily fluids. It is for the experienced.

Fascinating. Sounds like a very good reason to keep a well-sharpened hunting knife in your vehicle, too.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #36 - July 22nd, 2022, 1:07 pm
    Post #36 - July 22nd, 2022, 1:07 pm Post #36 - July 22nd, 2022, 1:07 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    budrichard wrote:To claim a ‘road kill’ deer in Wisconsin, you must get the deer tagged by the local Sheriff, other wise it is poaching. The driver of the vehicle that hit the deer has first right, any other person can claim the deer if the driver doesn’t want it.

Fascinating. Sounds like a very good reason to keep a well-sharpened hunting knife in your vehicle, too.

=R=

Presumably not serrated :D

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more