LTH Home

favorite hot weather foods?

favorite hot weather foods?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 3 
  • Post #61 - July 15th, 2019, 12:04 pm
    Post #61 - July 15th, 2019, 12:04 pm Post #61 - July 15th, 2019, 12:04 pm
    I already answered this thread but I'll add to it as long as I stopped by. Right now I can't get enough of Arnold Palmers which we make at home, half lemonade, half ice tea. Ice water, too. Salads but especially a good greek salad (with lettuce) with well done gyros on top or broiled chicken. Pasta salad. Linguine with fresh pesto made from our basil. Also pasta salads, and vegetable slaws. BLT's. My friend made a dish of pizza dough formed as if for pizza and brushed with olive oil and baked plain. Then she put a salad of fresh arugula and other greens dressed with oil, vinegar, balsamic and seasonings, chopped tomatoes and basil and plopped a burrata cheese in the middle. It was so good. Crispy crust with the dressed greens and tomatoes with the creamy burrata. Bon Appetit!!
    Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #62 - July 15th, 2019, 5:44 pm
    Post #62 - July 15th, 2019, 5:44 pm Post #62 - July 15th, 2019, 5:44 pm
    Hi,

During a recent trip to H-Mart, I must have been hungry. The two samples I tried, I also bought.

One was a frozen egg roll type appetizer, except the skin was seaweed, the filling was glass noodles, leek and who knows what else, this was all dipped in a rice flour slurry, possibly partially fried and frozen. At home, you rolled these in a few tablespoons of oil in a frying pan until they were warmed through and crisp. Nominal amount heat in exchange for pretty good texture and taste.

There was a nice lady serving cold noodles in a watery radish kimchi broth, which had a light vinegary zing to it. I bought a bag with two portions to try out on the family. There are three packets inside per portion: bagged fresh noodles, a pouch of broth and a small packet of mustard for additional seasoning. The noodles are added to boiling water, stirred for 40-50 seconds. Removed and rinse with cold water until the starch is gone. I put them into ice water to really cool them down, then drained. I portioned the noodles and broth between three bowls, then waited for everyone to find them enjoyable, too. I not only ate my portion, I received half back from my family.

I guess I will buy a bag for myself next time. I still think others will enjoy this light soup on a hot night. Clearly I over-estimated my family's willingness to love them, too.

Just now I ate a microwave poached egg on rye toast slathered with pesto.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #63 - July 16th, 2019, 10:51 am
    Post #63 - July 16th, 2019, 10:51 am Post #63 - July 16th, 2019, 10:51 am
    I just made a tuna and bean salad that is delightful in this weather.

The recipe is super flexible: rinsed 800+gm can of beans, can of tuna, salt, pepper, vinegar and olive oil.

Today's version is small white beans with added pitted kalamata olives, halved cherry tomatoes, chopped marinated onion and oregano.

Giovanna
    =o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

"Enjoy every sandwich."

-Warren Zevon
  • Post #64 - July 16th, 2019, 2:16 pm
    Post #64 - July 16th, 2019, 2:16 pm Post #64 - July 16th, 2019, 2:16 pm
    Fresh squeezed lemonade
    Dove ice cream bars
    Key lime pie
    Lemon ice box pie
    Fresh peaches
    Fresh nectarines
    Watermelon
    Mark A Reitman, PhD
    Professor of Hot Dogs
    Hot Dog University/Vienna Beef
  • Post #65 - July 16th, 2019, 3:25 pm
    Post #65 - July 16th, 2019, 3:25 pm Post #65 - July 16th, 2019, 3:25 pm
    I’ve been making a Thai beef salad lately. Vienna Italian Beef pre sliced at Mariano’s tossed with shallots, herbs, peanut, lime juice, fish sauce, and a touch of chili. Served on frisée or baby arugula with some super ripe grape tomatoes is a truly wonderful cooling yet satisfying meal.
  • Post #66 - August 12th, 2019, 3:01 pm
    Post #66 - August 12th, 2019, 3:01 pm Post #66 - August 12th, 2019, 3:01 pm
    Hi,

I bought a rump roast last night. I decided to cook it today rather than toss in the freezer.

I made Beef Bourguinon on a whim. Threw in some peas just before serving over egg noodles.

I probably won't do this again for months, but it hit the spot for lunch today.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #67 - August 13th, 2019, 2:53 pm
    Post #67 - August 13th, 2019, 2:53 pm Post #67 - August 13th, 2019, 2:53 pm
    Mario's new grapefruit flavor
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #68 - August 13th, 2019, 8:05 pm
    Post #68 - August 13th, 2019, 8:05 pm Post #68 - August 13th, 2019, 8:05 pm
    A Chilean recipe, pebre, kinda like bruschetta but different, on buttered crusty bread; it's a whole meal for me.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #69 - June 12th, 2022, 9:29 am
    Post #69 - June 12th, 2022, 9:29 am Post #69 - June 12th, 2022, 9:29 am
    HI,

Hot weather for at least two days this week.

Already plan to make a cold borscht, pick up at least one naenymyun kit at H-Mart, and do my best to hide from the weather.

What might you make?

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

• Post #70 - June 12th, 2022, 12:41 pm
    Post #70 - June 12th, 2022, 12:41 pm Post #70 - June 12th, 2022, 12:41 pm
    I haven't made this (yet), but the comment from the cook that it would be perfect for a summer event -- because the icing can't melt -- made it sound like something that could be useful in hot weather. And, as he notes, the icing actually sounds pretty good on its own.
    https://youtu.be/xhM609D8jEI
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #71 - June 12th, 2022, 6:26 pm
    Post #71 - June 12th, 2022, 6:26 pm Post #71 - June 12th, 2022, 6:26 pm
    Making a family favorite tomorrow- Pitacado Sandwiches.

Sauce: plain yogurt, creamy horseradish, dried dill & diced cucumber.

Stuff pitas with sharp cheddar, diced tomato, cubed avocado, & thinly sliced vidalia onion. Spoon dressing on top and sprinkle with imitation (or real) bacon bits.

Flavor combo just hits right for us.

Original recipe from “365 Ways to Cook Vegetarian” which is very hit or miss but this was a hit.
  • Post #72 - June 12th, 2022, 6:35 pm
    Post #72 - June 12th, 2022, 6:35 pm Post #72 - June 12th, 2022, 6:35 pm
    Kake soba is always a favorite in hot weather (not sure if you'll be able to see the image at the link below)
    https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipO ... Kc1MFwUyVS
  • Post #73 - June 13th, 2022, 1:49 am
    Post #73 - June 13th, 2022, 1:49 am Post #73 - June 13th, 2022, 1:49 am
    LynnB wrote:Making a family favorite tomorrow- Pitacado Sandwiches.

Sauce: plain yogurt, creamy horseradish, dried dill & diced cucumber.

Stuff pitas with sharp cheddar, diced tomato, cubed avocado, & thinly sliced vidalia onion. Spoon dressing on top and sprinkle with imitation (or real) bacon bits.

Flavor combo just hits right for us.

Original recipe from “365 Ways to Cook Vegetarian” which is very hit or miss but this was a hit.

Might have to make this summer.
    Thanks!

Cheers!
  • Post #74 - July 21st, 2022, 11:56 am
    Post #74 - July 21st, 2022, 11:56 am Post #74 - July 21st, 2022, 11:56 am
    Hi,

Pork chop suey (add more onion than is suggested). Cooks fast. Leftover rice goes to fried rice or something else.

Usually some leftovers, so it reheat and serve!

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #75 - July 22nd, 2022, 2:29 pm
    Post #75 - July 22nd, 2022, 2:29 pm Post #75 - July 22nd, 2022, 2:29 pm
    Hot weather related, though not directly about food.

We have a two-drawer dish-drawer system. My usual approach is 'load and go.'

Recognizing it is air-conditioning season, I defer washing dishes until the evening. The other night I awoke at 2:00 AM realizing I forgot to turn on the dishwasher. I got up to get it started. Fortunately, I got back to sleep quickly.

In the autumn, I will return to 'load and go.'

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #76 - July 22nd, 2022, 3:50 pm
    Post #76 - July 22nd, 2022, 3:50 pm Post #76 - July 22nd, 2022, 3:50 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:Hi,

Pork chop suey (add more onion than is suggested). Cooks fast. Leftover rice goes to fried rice or something else.

Usually some leftovers, so it reheat and serve!

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Thank you Ms. Cathy Two, that looks easy and good.
    The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
  • Post #77 - July 10th, 2023, 8:58 pm
    Post #77 - July 10th, 2023, 8:58 pm Post #77 - July 10th, 2023, 8:58 pm
    Hi,

I do not enjoy hot weather, though it is tolerable with a few less hot days mixed in.

Saturday I baked a ham for lunch, it was marked down to 99 cents per pound at the Highland Park Jewel. To minimize cooking time, I submerged the cryovac ham in very hot tap water for two 45-minute periods. This seven-pound ham reached just over 100 degrees after just over an hour in a 250 degree oven. I set the oven to 350 while I made a glaze, then popped it in the oven for 10-minutes. Oven reached 350 after the ham was in the oven, I just really wanted to set the glaze. After taking it out of the oven, it was glazed once more and waited for at least 10 minutes before serving.

All this because I wanted a hot ham sandwich on potato rolls. Rest of the family ate it sliced from the ham. No mashed potatoes or other warm side dishes were offered. I made Waldorf salad, spinach salad with poppy seed dressing, and Chick-fil-A retired coleslaw from their recipe.

Tomorrow will likely be the last day of ham. I will likely make ham salad as the final farewell. I will wrap the bone for making soup sometime in the future. I am not in the mood for a long simmered soup.

Practically in the same vein a few weeks ago, I made a pot roast. This time it was with mashed potatoes and peas.

Fall cannot come fast enough for me.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #78 - July 12th, 2023, 11:33 am
    Post #78 - July 12th, 2023, 11:33 am Post #78 - July 12th, 2023, 11:33 am
    Cathy2 wrote:All this because I wanted a hot ham sandwich on potato rolls.

Hot ham & rolls! Sounds like Milwaukee! I made a bunch last Friday for my mother-in-law's 90th birthday. She's a Milwaukee native. I cheated and used deli ham off the bone, but it certainly wasn't bad. In an electric frying pan as Milwaukeeans often do for parties.

FWIW, Butera has had assorted spiral and non-spiral hams for 89 and 99¢/lb for a while. Perhaps leftovers from Easter?

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more