LTH Home

Weights and measures

Weights and measures
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 3 
  • Post #61 - September 25th, 2021, 12:31 pm
    Post #61 - September 25th, 2021, 12:31 pm Post #61 - September 25th, 2021, 12:31 pm
    When I am buying bags of potatoes or onions and sometimes oranges or bags of carrots, I will often weigh them in the produce department. Sometimes there is a big difference in what is in the bag. In the summertime though I buy most of my fruits and veggies at the farmers market. All of the manderines come from South America right now, and so I pass on them. I bought peaches, bosc pears, and some organic #2 apples at the farmers market today.
  • Post #62 - September 25th, 2021, 12:57 pm
    Post #62 - September 25th, 2021, 12:57 pm Post #62 - September 25th, 2021, 12:57 pm
    Hi,

I tend to weigh some prepacked stuff, too.

If it is underweight, I bring it to the attention of the produce manager.

I am perpetually buying bananas and citrus, because my family expects it.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #63 - December 20th, 2023, 10:45 am
    Post #63 - December 20th, 2023, 10:45 am Post #63 - December 20th, 2023, 10:45 am
    If you buy a box mix, but the volume/weight is smaller than it once was:

This is the Cake Mix Doctor's extender formula. Cake Mix Fix - Anne Byrn
    1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
    1 cup sugar
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    ¼ teaspoon baking soda

Whisk all dry ingredients together and store in a clean mason jar. When you wish to increase a 15.25 ounce cake mix to 18.25 ounces, add three ounces of this mix (6 tablespoons) to your existing cake mix. The recipe provided can be used for yellow or white cake mixes.

For chocolate mixes, substitute 25 percent of the flour with cocoa powder. Store the cake mix add-in in a mason jar to have on hand as needed. The liquid ingredients for the mixes remain the same.
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more