LTH Home

Wild Alaskan Fish CSA (Sitka Salmon Shares)

Wild Alaskan Fish CSA (Sitka Salmon Shares)
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 3 
  • Post #61 - June 12th, 2020, 8:41 pm
    Post #61 - June 12th, 2020, 8:41 pm Post #61 - June 12th, 2020, 8:41 pm
    gastro gnome wrote:
    Katie wrote:Can someone who gets Sitka shares tell me if they include suggested recipes in their shipments? I know they have recipes on their website; I specifically want to know if there are printed recipe cards or pages in the shipped packages.

Yes, they do.

As far as I can tell, as of this year, recipes are no longer included in the shipments. They are now provided online. I did get some pamphlet with my delivery this week but it contained no recipes. Pretty sure I remember reading a pre-season email in which they indicated that they were eliminating printed recipes to reduce their footprint.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #62 - June 13th, 2020, 7:14 am
    Post #62 - June 13th, 2020, 7:14 am Post #62 - June 13th, 2020, 7:14 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    gastro gnome wrote:
    Katie wrote:Can someone who gets Sitka shares tell me if they include suggested recipes in their shipments? I know they have recipes on their website; I specifically want to know if there are printed recipe cards or pages in the shipped packages.

Yes, they do.

As far as I can tell, as of this year, recipes are no longer included in the shipments. They are now provided online. I did get some pamphlet with my delivery this week but it contained no recipes. Pretty sure I remember reading a pre-season email in which they indicated that they were eliminating printed recipes to reduce their footprint.

=R=

Oh, you might be right. That might be a change this year. I've only gotten one or two shipments this year and I might be remembering receiving the pamphlet rather than the recipes.
  • Post #63 - June 13th, 2020, 8:56 am
    Post #63 - June 13th, 2020, 8:56 am Post #63 - June 13th, 2020, 8:56 am
    I received my box this week and they have the printed recipes cards again!
    The black cod- sablefish is a new thing for me and it is beyond delicious.
    reminds me of chilean sea bass - so unctious
    doesn't need much except heat
    so good!
    "If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion and avoid the people, you might better stay home."
    ~James Michener
  • Post #64 - June 15th, 2020, 12:17 pm
    Post #64 - June 15th, 2020, 12:17 pm Post #64 - June 15th, 2020, 12:17 pm
    I also got my shipment last week and received a hard copy of the June newsletter and a recipe card for the halibut.
    -Mary
  • Post #65 - August 10th, 2021, 5:05 am
    Post #65 - August 10th, 2021, 5:05 am Post #65 - August 10th, 2021, 5:05 am
    I was supposed to receive my first box yesterday via home delivery but it didn't arrive. This has never happened to me. I reached out to the Sitka folks and hopefully they can iron this out.

Anyone else have this issue this week?
  • Post #66 - August 10th, 2021, 7:54 am
    Post #66 - August 10th, 2021, 7:54 am Post #66 - August 10th, 2021, 7:54 am
    KevinM wrote:I was supposed to receive my first box yesterday via home delivery but it didn't arrive. This has never happened to me. I reached out to the Sitka folks and hopefully they can iron this out.

I'm curious what you hear back. I feel like this happened one time to me where they switched from home delivery to the shipping service. (My brain is so fuzzy that I don't recall if it was FedEx or when they switched to UPS.) Mine is expected on Thursday.

Our Sitka subscription is one of the highlights of the pandemic. Between that and our Tomato Mountain CSA, I have created some really good meals. Last night, I steamed the sablefish in a mixture of soy sauce, toasted sesame oil, sake with chopped garlic scape, hot pepper and garlic. Served with rice and a side of sauteed bok choy, I was a happy camper.

-Mary
  • Post #67 - August 10th, 2021, 7:58 am
    Post #67 - August 10th, 2021, 7:58 am Post #67 - August 10th, 2021, 7:58 am
    KevinM wrote:I was supposed to receive my first box yesterday via home delivery but it didn't arrive. This has never happened to me. I reached out to the Sitka folks and hopefully they can iron this out.

No issues, but I know that delivery has changed some this year. In the past, everything was delivered by SSS, now they are also using UPS and Fedex and i have read elsewhere that there has been some issues with those. I had one UPS delivery that was rescheduled and showed up a day late, but it was still OK.

I think they are going thru some distribution issues since they expanded out of just the Chicago area to nationwide. They typically are very responsive to any problems.
  • Post #68 - August 10th, 2021, 9:53 am
    Post #68 - August 10th, 2021, 9:53 am Post #68 - August 10th, 2021, 9:53 am
    Heard back from them and they just neglected to send it out with no explanation. Was slated for their local delivery, not UPS or FedEx. Very odd, but hopefully I'll get it later this week.
  • Post #69 - August 10th, 2021, 4:52 pm
    Post #69 - August 10th, 2021, 4:52 pm Post #69 - August 10th, 2021, 4:52 pm
    thetrob wrote:

No issues, but I know that delivery has changed some this year. In the past, everything was delivered by SSS, now they are also using UPS and Fedex and i have read elsewhere that there has been some issues with those. I had one UPS delivery that was rescheduled and showed up a day late, but it was still OK.

I think they are going thru some distribution issues since they expanded out of just the Chicago area to nationwide. They typically are very responsive to any problems.

They’ve been delivering outside of Chicago for years via Fed Ex. This year they changed to UPS and while I never has issues with their Fed Ex deliveries to my home in Indiana, I had lots of problems with them in Florida (I frequently ordered from their specials for my family there). Since the change to UPS, haven’t had any problems in either location. But, regardless, SSS customer service is best-in-class. They respond quickly and go above and beyond to make any glitch right.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #70 - September 1st, 2021, 10:47 am
    Post #70 - September 1st, 2021, 10:47 am Post #70 - September 1st, 2021, 10:47 am
    A message from co-founder Nic Mink on his next adventure

Nic Mink is a really cool person. I met him via Louisa Chu years ago. He has helped us judge at the Indiana State Fair and did a talk for Culinary Historians.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more