LTH Home

H-Mart Glenview

H-Mart Glenview
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • H-Mart Glenview

Post #1 - October 16th, 2015, 3:20 pm
    Post #1 - October 16th, 2015, 3:20 pm Post #1 - October 16th, 2015, 3:20 pm
    Did you know there is a new H-Mart in Glenview? Has anyone been?

We discovered a batch of old unopened mail and the flyer for the opening was among other nicely aged items. :shock:
    Apparently H-Mart Glenview opened yesterday or today (both dates are shown in different parts of the flyer).

Some great specials are advertised:
    Ohsung Hong Ramyun on sale for $7.98!
    Haechandle Gochujang also $7.98.
    Haioreum Yellow Croaker $9.98.
    Free nail clippers with over $30 purchase

If the correct date is the 16th, today, "Traditional Korean folk dance, traditional Chinese Lion dance and so much more."

H-Mart Glenview
    3385 N Milwaukee Ave
    Glenview IL
    847-510-6222
    Last edited by Joy on January 20th, 2021, 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #2 - October 16th, 2015, 7:59 pm
    Post #2 - October 16th, 2015, 7:59 pm Post #2 - October 16th, 2015, 7:59 pm
    Excellent. Enough closer than Niles to make a difference. I can imagine getting here far more often. Look forward to checking it out soon.
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #3 - October 16th, 2015, 10:01 pm
    Post #3 - October 16th, 2015, 10:01 pm Post #3 - October 16th, 2015, 10:01 pm
    HI,

I cannot figure out why they did this unless they anticipate closing Niles. Or is this a response to Assi on Milwaukee?

Any idea what's behind this new location so close to the other?

Regards.
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #4 - October 17th, 2015, 8:38 am
    Post #4 - October 17th, 2015, 8:38 am Post #4 - October 17th, 2015, 8:38 am
    I haven't been there yet, but it's now the closest supermarket to my house. The building it's in was previously Glenview Liquor and Deli, and is not very big: smaller than a typical Jewel. I suspect the selection will be much more limited, but because of the big Korean population in the immediate area (gotta be 10 restaurants and as many churches in less than a mile) it was worth creating an outpost
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #5 - October 17th, 2015, 8:40 am
    Post #5 - October 17th, 2015, 8:40 am Post #5 - October 17th, 2015, 8:40 am
    Cathy2 wrote:HI,

I cannot figure out why they did this unless they anticipate closing Niles. Or is this a response to Assi on Milwaukee?

Any idea what's behind this new location so close to the other?

Regards.

I think it has to do with there are a lot of Korean/Asian folks living in and around Glenview including various businesses. It makes the location closer to the residents than Niles.
  • Post #6 - October 17th, 2015, 12:56 pm
    Post #6 - October 17th, 2015, 12:56 pm Post #6 - October 17th, 2015, 12:56 pm
    Yikes, what a zoo! It's as small as I remember, nowhere near the selection of theNiles store, but a decent sized fish counter. Specials included Ecuadorian shrimp (about 25/lb, maybe?) for $4.98/lb, live lobster $3.98/lb (they were out, but there were people lined up waiting for more). There is nowhere near enough parking in their lot, they're directing people to park on the grass two doors down where Prime Minister used to be.

Due to its proximity, I'm sure I'll be in there periodically, if they can keep the quality up. But with Mariano's just up the road, and a much greater selection at Assi about ten minutes away, it's hardly going to be my sole shopping sour
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #7 - October 17th, 2015, 4:02 pm
    Post #7 - October 17th, 2015, 4:02 pm Post #7 - October 17th, 2015, 4:02 pm
    Well, they have a small location on Golf Road in Schaumburg, too -- so maybe they just create "outliers" that can hold people over between visits to the "mother ship."
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com
  • Post #8 - October 17th, 2015, 5:13 pm
    Post #8 - October 17th, 2015, 5:13 pm Post #8 - October 17th, 2015, 5:13 pm
    My guess is that most H-Marts are smaller than Niles (actually, I know that, because some of the promotional materials they've sent me claimed Niles was the largest H-Mart store in North America. Guessing again, since the Niles store was a former Omni (Dominick's large-scale offshoot) which was vacant for a while, H-Mart got a favorable lease on the space.
  • Post #9 - October 23rd, 2015, 10:26 pm
    Post #9 - October 23rd, 2015, 10:26 pm Post #9 - October 23rd, 2015, 10:26 pm
    I always assumed that is where the "Super" H-Mart name comes from for some of the stores. I've been to one of the early stores in NJ and a newer "Super" not far away and it is a huge difference.
  • Post #10 - January 18th, 2021, 8:27 am
    Post #10 - January 18th, 2021, 8:27 am Post #10 - January 18th, 2021, 8:27 am
    Needing some retail therapy, I popped into li'l H-Mart yesterday, something I don't think I've done since Joong Boo opened (even though it's closer).

They've added a couple of hot boxes near the entrance with Chinese dishes from Yu's Mandarin and Korean entrees, and more cold dishes too, and elsewhere in the store more banchan and sushi. You can always find high-end sliced beef, but this is the first time I've noticed good sale prices on poultry (didn't buy any, freezer is pretty well stocked). Still no luck finding Bullhead Sauce.
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #11 - January 18th, 2021, 11:23 am
    Post #11 - January 18th, 2021, 11:23 am Post #11 - January 18th, 2021, 11:23 am
    JoelF wrote:Needing some retail therapy, I popped into li'l H-Mart yesterday,
    =-=-=-=
    Still no luck finding Bullhead Sauce.

Go a little farther South to Dempster. Richwell Market has, or at least as of two weeks ago, had a good supply of Bullhead BBQ Sauce.

click to enlarge

I like Richwell Market as a Chinese grocery, not going to replace a visit to Viet Hoa or Park to Shop but its ten minutes from my house and well stocked, especially in the condiment, sauce, dry goods category. Plus fresh meat, veg and a Chinese BBQ kiosk.

Richwell Market/Mei Mei Chinese BBQ
    6120 W. Dempster St.
    Morton Grove, IL. 60042
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #12 - July 23rd, 2021, 5:35 pm
    Post #12 - July 23rd, 2021, 5:35 pm Post #12 - July 23rd, 2021, 5:35 pm
    Does H-Mart's Super Savings Card provide any genuine value? I didn't even know they had a program but this morning the cashier asked if I had a card and it was the first I'd heard of it. I brought an application home. Still mulling.

Thanks,

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #13 - July 23rd, 2021, 7:50 pm
    Post #13 - July 23rd, 2021, 7:50 pm Post #13 - July 23rd, 2021, 7:50 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Does H-Mart's Super Savings Card provide any genuine value? I didn't even know they had a program but this morning the cashier asked if I had a card and it was the first I'd heard of it. I brought an application home. Still mulling.

When I signed up, I was told that you get a $10 certificate for every $1000 you spend, but I'm pretty sure that was several thousands ago and I've yet to see any rewards. It does entitle you to some sale prices, though not many -- seems like 3-4 items each week.
  • Post #14 - July 23rd, 2021, 8:39 pm
    Post #14 - July 23rd, 2021, 8:39 pm Post #14 - July 23rd, 2021, 8:39 pm
    cilantro wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Does H-Mart's Super Savings Card provide any genuine value? I didn't even know they had a program but this morning the cashier asked if I had a card and it was the first I'd heard of it. I brought an application home. Still mulling.

When I signed up, I was told that you get a $10 certificate for every $1000 you spend, but I'm pretty sure that was several thousands ago and I've yet to see any rewards. It does entitle you to some sale prices, though not many -- seems like 3-4 items each week.

Thanks. I appreciate the intel.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #15 - July 24th, 2021, 5:14 am
    Post #15 - July 24th, 2021, 5:14 am Post #15 - July 24th, 2021, 5:14 am
    There are three tiers for rewards using the Card.
    First is sale prices listed by using the Card.
    They used to hand out a sale flyer but now just available to view at the front desk or on-line at H Mart Niles location.
    Second is Sale Items available if you spend $100 in a single purchase, usually.
    Third is rebate for $$ spent.
    I routinely the card use for the first tier and try to coordinate large purchases for the second tier if the sale price is significant.
    About once a year I check with the front desk ands get my rewards.
    Last visit about a week ago, I got $50 in certificates as a Reward.
    Some of the live creatures available are $$ such as Golden King Crab at $49.99/# which weigh about 8#’s. They are from Norway and are the best crab I have ever tasted.
    We steam, each eat a leg and shell and freeze the remainder.
    Once you eat this fresh crab you cannot go back to frozen which are now a tasteless over salted product.
    Live flatfish are routinely available but again pricey, quality superb as sashimi.
    Lobsters, live blue crabs, crayfish in season, clams, oysters and mussels, all are routinely available.
    The remainder of the store is a veritable paradise of both fresh produce and packaged Korean products.
    -Richard
  • Post #16 - July 24th, 2021, 11:07 am
    Post #16 - July 24th, 2021, 11:07 am Post #16 - July 24th, 2021, 11:07 am
    The deals for buying over $100 are available to everyone, not just Smart Savings cardholders. They post the weekly ad, which shows you which items are included in each type of sale.

And thanks, I didn't realize you need to be proactive to get your rewards. I'll stop by the desk next time I'm there -- wonder if I'll get enough so I can retire.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more