LTH Home

Texas-style Queso Dip, ISO recipe

Texas-style Queso Dip, ISO recipe
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Texas-style Queso Dip, ISO recipe

Post #1 - January 31st, 2016, 1:59 pm
    Post #1 - January 31st, 2016, 1:59 pm Post #1 - January 31st, 2016, 1:59 pm
    Hi,

I'm looking to re-create the version I had a Torchy's last fall. Searching here and elsewhere on the web has yielded some widely varied results and nothing that seems quite right. Does anyone have a recipe they really like? Any tried and true recipe would be appreciated, even if it doesn't quiet approximate the Torchy's version.

Thanks,

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #2 - February 1st, 2016, 11:06 am
    Post #2 - February 1st, 2016, 11:06 am Post #2 - February 1st, 2016, 11:06 am
    I've had the most success using one eight ounce block of cream cheese, three cups of shredded cheese (2 cups chihuahua, 1 cup mixed cheddar, monterey jack) and 1/2 cup milk (more may be necessary at the end for the right consistency) on low setting in crockpot for 1 1/2 hours. Adding additional queso ingredients as desired (chiles, tomato, etc).
    Last edited by Food Nut on February 1st, 2016, 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Reading is a right. Censorship is not.
  • Post #3 - February 1st, 2016, 11:15 am
    Post #3 - February 1st, 2016, 11:15 am Post #3 - February 1st, 2016, 11:15 am
    Chile con queso is pretty much the ONLY time I use any kind of processed food in a dish--sad to say but I just don't know how you do this without Velveeta. I do add other fresh and homemade ingredients--chopped tomatoes, chopped green onion, chopped green chilis, chopped jalapeno or serrano peppers, and a few generous spoonfuls of homemade roasted tomato salsa (the pureed kind). I also like to add sautéed chorizo. I'm sure I'll be doing some for Super Bowl!
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #4 - February 1st, 2016, 1:00 pm
    Post #4 - February 1st, 2016, 1:00 pm Post #4 - February 1st, 2016, 1:00 pm
    boudreaulicious wrote:Chile con queso is pretty much the ONLY time I use any kind of processed food in a dish--sad to say but I just don't know how you do this without Velveeta. I do add other fresh and homemade ingredients--chopped tomatoes, chopped green onion, chopped green chilis, chopped jalapeno or serrano peppers, and a few generous spoonfuls of homemade roasted tomato salsa (the pureed kind). I also like to add sautéed chorizo. I'm sure I'll be doing some for Super Bowl!

With a little sodium citrate you can make just about any melting cheese in to a smooth dip, I've used this recipe http://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/melty-queso-dip/ many times with great success. I'll usually use a non-hoppy mexican beer and add some dry herbs/spices (cumin, onion powder, oregano etc.) as I see fit.
    Cookingblahg.blogspot.com
  • Post #5 - February 13th, 2016, 1:22 pm
    Post #5 - February 13th, 2016, 1:22 pm Post #5 - February 13th, 2016, 1:22 pm
    I decided to take the traditional route and after some poking around on the internet, learned that what I needed was a product called Land O' Lakes Extra Melt. Probably because it doesn't sound very appetizing, I remembered seeing it before and even remembered where. So, I headed over to Restaurant Depot and there it was, in the walk-in, in 5-pound blocks. Next to it was a White American Cheese product called Sabor Nuestro Super Melt. I bought a 5-pound block of that, too.

I ended up going with a 70/30 blend of the 2 "cheeses," favoring the Extra Melt, which was slightly less salty-tasting. I started by crisping up a couple tubes of grocery store chorizo in a large skillet. I removed the chorizo and in the rendered fat, I sauteed a whole mess of diced up jalapenos, serranos, poblanos and scallions.

I diced the cheese into 1-inch cubes and melted it over low heat in a dutch oven on the stove top. For each pound of cheese, I started with a cup of whole milk but that left me with a very thick mixture. So, I ended up adding a lot more milk and in the end, used about a quart for 2 pounds of cheese.

Once the cheese had melted and combined with the milk into the preferred soupiness, I stirred in the cooked chorizo, peppers and scallions. I also added 2 small cans of mild, diced green chiles, some ancho chili powder and some cayenne chili powder. I had planned on adding a can of Rotel tomatoes but I forgot. Once everything was fully combined, I moved it all to a crockpot and ate it throughout the day.

I'd say I got pretty close to what I remembered having in Austin. Obviously, it wasn't exact but it was close enough that it really scratched the itch. And the nice part is the my stash of 2 "cheeses" should still be good when I make this for next year's Super Bowl. :wink:

=R=
  • Post #6 - May 27th, 2022, 7:32 pm
    Post #6 - May 27th, 2022, 7:32 pm Post #6 - May 27th, 2022, 7:32 pm
    Gearing up for some Memorial Day weekend socializing. Decided to make some Austin-style queso dip . . .

Mise En Place & Katayama SG2 Suminagashi Gyuto, 210mm
    'Merikan cheese, minced garlic, grocery store pico de gallo, aged cheddar, red onions, chorizo, minced jalapenos & serranos, cilantro leaves, evaporate milk, hatch chiles, Rotel and freshly ground cumin.

Sauce and fixins' are prepared separately. The American cheese has a lot of built-in emulsification power, so it pretty much melts smooth on its own. The evaporated milk thins it a bit (makes it better for dipping), gives it a little extra richness and also provides emulsification power for the aged cheddar, which brings sharpness and some needed additional flavor. Those 3 components are heated until they melt into a silky, creamy sauce. Separately, the chorizo gets seared and everything else -- sans the tomatoey items -- gets sauteed with it and its renderings. When that's all fully cooked, the mixture gets added to the sauce and mixed together, along with a bit of the pico de gallo, to taste. I ended up not opening the Rotel.

Plated Up
    Technically speaking, this is for tomorrow but I had to test it, right? 8-)

=R=
  • Post #7 - May 28th, 2022, 8:24 am
    Post #7 - May 28th, 2022, 8:24 am Post #7 - May 28th, 2022, 8:24 am
    I want you to adopt me!!!
    "All great change in America begins at the dinner table." Ronald Reagan

http://midwestmaize.wordpress.com

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close