LTH Home

Behold, the Instant Pot

Behold, the Instant Pot
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 7 of 7 
  • Post #181 - November 13th, 2020, 9:48 am
    Post #181 - November 13th, 2020, 9:48 am Post #181 - November 13th, 2020, 9:48 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    boudreaulicious wrote:In addition to producing the best stock I’ve ever made by far . . .

Yes. This, I want to try soon. You're not the first person I've heard this from. What's your method?

=R=

You’re gonna laugh. Dump about a dozen skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs or leg quarters in the pot, fill with water (I use Dasani), hit the poultry button, natural release. If the chicken is frozen, I put it through the poultry setting twice, though if you let it sit long enough (I often do this right before I go to bed) you don’t even need to do that. I don’t add any seasoning or veg to the pot unless I’m using the stock for a specific purpose. And I use the chicken for a million things—mostly, I bag it up in portions that I can later use for chicken and rice, soup, tacos, etc. And my very spoiled dogs get their share as well, since it’s part of their daily meal.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #182 - November 13th, 2020, 10:01 am
    Post #182 - November 13th, 2020, 10:01 am Post #182 - November 13th, 2020, 10:01 am
    boudreaulicious wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    boudreaulicious wrote:In addition to producing the best stock I’ve ever made by far . . .

Yes. This, I want to try soon. You're not the first person I've heard this from. What's your method?

=R=

You’re gonna laugh. Dump about a dozen skin-on, bone-in chicken thighs or leg quarters in the pot, fill with water (I use Dasani), hit the poultry button, natural release. If the chicken is frozen, I put it through the poultry setting twice, though if you let it sit long enough (I often do this right before I go to bed) you don’t even need to do that. I don’t add any seasoning or veg to the pot unless I’m using the stock for a specific purpose. And I use the chicken for a million things—mostly, I bag it up in portions that I can later use for chicken and rice, soup, tacos, etc. And my very spoiled dogs get their share as well, since it’s part of their daily meal.

Okay, thanks. I'm with you on meat and water only. That's how I almost always make stock unless, as you wrote, it's for a specific purpose that requires something additional. I read this years ago from Thomas Keller; the advantages of keeping stock as neutral as possible to maximize its versatility, and it really stuck with me.

=R=
    By protecting others, you save yourself. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself. --Kambei Shimada

Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #183 - November 13th, 2020, 12:01 pm
    Post #183 - November 13th, 2020, 12:01 pm Post #183 - November 13th, 2020, 12:01 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    boudreaulicious wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:

=R=

Okay, thanks. I'm with you on meat and water only. That's how I almost always make stock unless, as you wrote, it's for a specific purpose that requires something additional. I read this years ago from Thomas Keller; the advantages of keeping stock as neutral as possible to maximize its versatility, and it really stuck with me.

=R=

The IP sucks every last ounce of flavor and gelatin out of the bones, skin and meat. Super simple. Same for beef tho I don’t make beef stock often. I use the chicken fat when I make rice as well.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #184 - November 13th, 2020, 9:48 pm
    Post #184 - November 13th, 2020, 9:48 pm Post #184 - November 13th, 2020, 9:48 pm
    If you do that method, you also end up with rendered chicken skin that you can freeze, then bread and fry at you convenience.
  • Post #185 - November 14th, 2020, 3:44 am
    Post #185 - November 14th, 2020, 3:44 am Post #185 - November 14th, 2020, 3:44 am
    gnarchief wrote:If you do that method, you also end up with rendered chicken skin that you can freeze, then bread and fry at you convenience.

Seems I'll be making chicken stock in the next day or two. First I have to blow the dust and spider webs off my IP.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #186 - November 16th, 2020, 10:04 pm
    Post #186 - November 16th, 2020, 10:04 pm Post #186 - November 16th, 2020, 10:04 pm
    12 frozen Costco organic bone-in skin-on thighs and four 16oz Dasani bottles, programmed for 20 minutes and a manual pressure release—sat for probably 2-3 addition hours on warm. Delicious!

• Post #187 - November 16th, 2020, 10:10 pm
    Post #187 - November 16th, 2020, 10:10 pm Post #187 - November 16th, 2020, 10:10 pm
    Boudreaulicious,

How is the water in Valpo? Is it well water?

Before Wheaton's water source was Lake Michigan, I had friends whose shopping list always included water for cooking. Since their water source changed, they almost never buy bottled water.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #188 - November 16th, 2020, 10:17 pm
    Post #188 - November 16th, 2020, 10:17 pm Post #188 - November 16th, 2020, 10:17 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:Boudreaulicious,

How is the water in Valpo? Is it well water?

Before Wheaton's water source was Lake Michigan, I had friends whose shopping list always included water for cooking. Since their water source changed, they almost never buy bottled water.

Regards,
    Cathy2

We have a well—and it’s pretty fragrant, no matter what filter we use. It’s perfectly safe and we use it for boiling and cleaning things, but that’s about it. We had the well sanitized recently and the smell is a bit better but I still don’t use it for stock and I don’t drink it (neither do the animals).
  • Post #189 - November 17th, 2020, 9:39 am
    Post #189 - November 17th, 2020, 9:39 am Post #189 - November 17th, 2020, 9:39 am
    Cathy2 wrote:
    Before Wheaton's water source was Lake Michigan

When did this happen and how did they make this happen? I thought the compact with Canada prevented Lake Michigan water from being used by communities outside the watershed that feeds into the lake. I thought the drainage into Mississippi started well east of Wheaton, or am I wrong?

The reason I ask is that some Wisconsin communities also wanted to tap into the Lake Michigan water for drinking and were sued by the Canadian Govt to prevent that.
  • Post #190 - November 17th, 2020, 9:44 am
    Post #190 - November 17th, 2020, 9:44 am Post #190 - November 17th, 2020, 9:44 am
    Indianbadger wrote:
    When did this happen .

Not sure of the "how" part of your question:

Source of Wheaton’s Water

Since 1992, the City of Wheaton has purchased Lake Michigan water from the DuPage Water Commission. The water is treated at Chicago’s Jardine Water Purification Plant, which is the largest potable water filtration plant in the world.

* snippet from Wheaton Water District website
    Last edited by Willkat98 on November 17th, 2020, 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Bill-Aurora
  • Post #191 - November 17th, 2020, 9:52 am
    Post #191 - November 17th, 2020, 9:52 am Post #191 - November 17th, 2020, 9:52 am
    One of the best things that Instant Pot does for Indian cooking is make one pot rice+lentils dishes. Khichdi and Pongal, specifically.

For these one pot meals, usually Mung Dal is the preferred dal as it cooks about the same time as the rice. I used the Rice button on my Instant Pot Duo to make ven pongal yesterday, and it worked well cooking wise. The only problem was my own fault. I usually cook long grain rice, but used medium grain yesterday as most of South Indian rice recipes use medium grain rice. Looks like I added too much water as the water requirement for medium grain seems to be a bit lower than long grain. Turned out a bit too mushy for my taste. Still tasty. Next time I will reduce the water.

Have others noted that the water ratio is different from long grain vs. medium grain, when cooking rice in the Instant Pot?
  • Post #192 - November 17th, 2020, 9:55 am
    Post #192 - November 17th, 2020, 9:55 am Post #192 - November 17th, 2020, 9:55 am
    Willkat98 wrote:
    Not sure of the "how" part of your question:

Source of Wheaton’s Water: Since 1992, the City of Wheaton has purchased Lake Michigan water from the DuPage Water Commission.

Wow, learned something today. The Wisconsin story was similar, where they were trying to buy Lake Michigan water but were prevented. I want to read how this Wheaton sale went down.

Thanks!!
  • Post #193 - November 17th, 2020, 12:33 pm
    Post #193 - November 17th, 2020, 12:33 pm Post #193 - November 17th, 2020, 12:33 pm
    There is no mystery about Wheaton water. I have lived there since 1989 when we had well water. At some point in time, there was an opportunity for some municipalities to connect to "Chicago" (Lake Michigan) water and they did. Some didn't, such as Warrenville, which I hear still has crappy water. So we have had Lake Michigan water thankfully since l992. Since then, the Great Lakes states entered a compact which prevented other states and municipalities from connecting to Great Lakes water. You can read about it on this link and many other places.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Lakes_Compact
    Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #194 - November 17th, 2020, 3:34 pm
    Post #194 - November 17th, 2020, 3:34 pm Post #194 - November 17th, 2020, 3:34 pm
    I read recently Lake Zurich, IL is considering going to Lake Michigan water.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more