LTH Home

Behold, the Instant Pot

Behold, the Instant Pot
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 8 of 8 
  • Post #211 - April 11th, 2021, 10:48 pm
    Post #211 - April 11th, 2021, 10:48 pm Post #211 - April 11th, 2021, 10:48 pm
    tjr wrote:Any thoughts on making ham stock in the IP? I have a nice double-smoked ham bone with a tiny bit of meat plus a slightly meatier shoulder bone. Pressure cook for an hour or so? Longer? Shorter but let stand in the hot water?

    Thanks for any advice or experiences.

    I'm pretty new to making stocks in the IP but for larger pieces/bones, like ham or the pork neck I happen to be doing at this very moment, I follow the advice of a chef chum I know from another cooking board. I IP them on high pressure for two 3-hour sessions, with a brief cool down in between, and slow release on both sessions. After that, strain it and let it cool, during which time the fat will rise to the top and solidify. You can skim that off easily and save it for future cooking. I usually vacuum seal it and freeze the rendered fat.

    Another thing I often do after that -- to conserve space and increase the stock's potency -- is reduce it further on the stove top. I typically reduce a gallon of stock to 1 or 2 quarts. It stores easier that way and also packs a lot of flavor. But it can easily be reconstituted back to single strength from that stage too, if you need more volume. Obviously, if I'm making something right away with the stock, I don't bother with this step.

    =R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #212 - April 15th, 2021, 5:14 pm
    Post #212 - April 15th, 2021, 5:14 pm Post #212 - April 15th, 2021, 5:14 pm
    I've taken to roasting rotisserie chicken carcasses (plus onions, carrots, celery) for half an hour or so before throwing them all* in the IP for an hour or so on high pressure.


    * The crispy rotisserie chicken skin, which also goes in my freezer bag of bones, typically doesn't make it into the IP because it goes in my belly.
  • Post #213 - April 25th, 2021, 6:49 pm
    Post #213 - April 25th, 2021, 6:49 pm Post #213 - April 25th, 2021, 6:49 pm
    I made ham stock as Ron suggested. 3 hours pressure cook followed by reducing. The pressure cook certainly got all the meat and flavor out of the bones. The porous bone ends were pretty soft and punky.

    Took the lazy route on reducing. I just removed the lid and set the cooker for slow cook at 212F. Left bones and fat in. But after about 10 hours, there was only a slight change in volume. I set the cooker to saute and boiled rapidly until I had roughly half the volume including the bones and fat. Cooled slightly and drained through wire mesh. Then cooled completely and scraped off the fat. The result was very rubbery and had reasonably strong, pleasant flavor.

    I wonder if I should have removed bones and fat before reducing. Did the coating of fat on the surface impede evaporation? And I might strain through a coffee filter next time. There was some dusty precipitate in the finished stock, possibly from the bones.
  • Post #214 - April 25th, 2021, 6:55 pm
    Post #214 - April 25th, 2021, 6:55 pm Post #214 - April 25th, 2021, 6:55 pm
    tjr wrote:I made ham stock as Ron suggested. 3 hours pressure cook followed by reducing. The pressure cook certainly got all the meat and flavor out of the bones. The porous bone ends were pretty soft and punky.

    Took the lazy route on reducing. I just removed the lid and set the cooker for slow cook at 212F. Left bones and fat in. But after about 10 hours, there was only a slight change in volume. I set the cooker to saute and boiled rapidly until I had roughly half the volume including the bones and fat. Cooled slightly and drained through wire mesh. Then cooled completely and scraped off the fat. The result was very rubbery and had reasonably strong, pleasant flavor.

    I wonder if I should have removed bones and fat before reducing. Did the coating of fat on the surface impede evaporation? And I might strain through a coffee filter next time. There was some dusty precipitate in the finished stock, possibly from the bones.

    I always strain (2x, with a chinois) and de-fat first, then reduce in a sauce pan on the stove top. It goes much faster that way. What was rubbery? The stock itself? If so, that's what I refer to as gelatinous and I really like it that way but ymmv.

    =R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #215 - April 25th, 2021, 11:10 pm
    Post #215 - April 25th, 2021, 11:10 pm Post #215 - April 25th, 2021, 11:10 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:What was rubbery? The stock itself?


    Yes, the cold stock. As it is, it would be a rather unpleasantly chewy aspic. But used for lentil soup, diluted with some additional liquid, it was great. Next time I'll strain and defat before reducing.
  • Post #216 - April 26th, 2021, 6:57 am
    Post #216 - April 26th, 2021, 6:57 am Post #216 - April 26th, 2021, 6:57 am
    tjr wrote:Took the lazy route on reducing. I just removed the lid and set the cooker for slow cook at 212F. Left bones and fat in. But after about 10 hours, there was only a slight change in volume. I set the cooker to saute and boiled rapidly until I had roughly half the volume including the bones and fat. Cooled slightly and drained through wire mesh. Then cooled completely and scraped off the fat. The result was very rubbery and had reasonably strong, pleasant flavor.


    It's typically recommended to remove the fat and any solids before reducing, as the vigorous boil leads to a cloudy stock. Depending on your uses for it, no big deal. I don't do consomme, so I don't care as much -- however my last batch of stock (made from a package of wing tips bought at Joong Boo) is nearly green-looking from suspended particles.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #217 - April 26th, 2021, 10:25 am
    Post #217 - April 26th, 2021, 10:25 am Post #217 - April 26th, 2021, 10:25 am
    An overnight stay in the fridge before reducing will make it super easy to remove fat from your stock and save it, if desired. I usually wait for it to solidify, peel it off the top, vacuum-seal it, label it and freeze it.

    But one beautiful thing about natural/slow release with the IP is that the stock actually emulsifies, leaving some of the fat evenly distributed in the stock. That may result in a cloudy stock but as Joel says, when you're cooking at home, clarity is usually a non-issue. And the flavor of stocks produced in this way is terrific.


    =R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #218 - April 26th, 2021, 4:04 pm
    Post #218 - April 26th, 2021, 4:04 pm Post #218 - April 26th, 2021, 4:04 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:An overnight stay in the fridge before reducing will make it super easy to remove fat from your stock and save it, if desired.

    =R=

    It also allows you to leave behind any solids that got through any straining you did.
  • Post #219 - September 24th, 2021, 2:56 pm
    Post #219 - September 24th, 2021, 2:56 pm Post #219 - September 24th, 2021, 2:56 pm
    G Wiv wrote:Seems I'll be making chicken stock in the next day or two. First I have to blow the dust and spider webs off my IP.

    Took me a while but I finally did the instapot chicken stock thing. Had a big pack of Costco cryovac chicken thighs in the freezer. Used half the pack. Maybe 8 or 10 frozen skin on bone in thighs. Right in the instapot. 30 minutes medium pressure. Hour and a half just hanging out until I released the slight bit of steam left

    Worked surprisingly well kudos to Jen and Ronnie for the idea.
    Hold my beer . . .

    Low & Slow
  • Post #220 - September 25th, 2021, 6:30 am
    Post #220 - September 25th, 2021, 6:30 am Post #220 - September 25th, 2021, 6:30 am
    Did you do anything with the meat of the thighs after cooking ?
  • Post #221 - September 25th, 2021, 8:58 am
    Post #221 - September 25th, 2021, 8:58 am Post #221 - September 25th, 2021, 8:58 am
    lougord99 wrote:Did you do anything with the meat of the thighs after cooking ?

    Geeeeze Lou, kind of personal there.

    Not really, I saved it though thought it tasted a bit washed out. I might make chicken salad, might just leave it in the fridge pretending I will do something with it then toss on garbage day.

    I've been thinking of buying a Zojirushi rice cooker, though have heard IP's do a good, or poor, job, depending on what you read, with rice. So I thought since I had it out I'd make some rice.

    Took out the pot insert, added rice, washed the rice, measured out the correct amount of water and poured it in the IP. Problem was, idiot me, forgot to put back the pot insert and I poured the water directly on the electric heating element. Needless to say it did not work after that.

    I read if you let the IP air dry for 72-hours it should work again. We'll see.
    Hold my beer . . .

    Low & Slow
  • Post #222 - September 25th, 2021, 10:25 am
    Post #222 - September 25th, 2021, 10:25 am Post #222 - September 25th, 2021, 10:25 am
    G Wiv wrote:
    lougord99 wrote:Did you do anything with the meat of the thighs after cooking ?

    Geeeeze Lou, kind of personal there.

    Not really, I saved it though thought it tasted a bit washed out. I might make chicken salad, might just leave it in the fridge pretending I will do something with it then toss on garbage day.

    I've been thinking of buying a Zojirushi rice cooker, though have heard IP's do a good, or poor, job, depending on what you read, with rice. So I thought since I had it out I'd make some rice.

    Took out the pot insert, added rice, washed the rice, measured out the correct amount of water and poured it in the IP. Problem was, idiot me, forgot to put back the pot insert and I poured the water directly on the electric heating element. Needless to say it did not work after that.

    I read if you let the IP air dry for 72-hours it should work again. We'll see.


    Oh noooooo. I once put rice in my zojirushi without putting the bowl in first—I’m still finding rice grains when I clean it. That was about 10 years ago ;)

    I’m not a gadget person—don’t have a toaster oven or many other countertop appliances, besides the Instant Pot and my VitaMix. But I pretty much always have rice on warm in my Zoj-and I much prefer it to rice in the IP, tho I didn’t give it much of a chance cuz I like having rice always available (my dogs get some daily and it’s our preferred family starch).
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #223 - September 25th, 2021, 3:23 pm
    Post #223 - September 25th, 2021, 3:23 pm Post #223 - September 25th, 2021, 3:23 pm
    G Wiv wrote:I read if you let the IP air dry for 72-hours it should work again. We'll see.

    Its been about 24-hours, seems to be working. Looks like I did not kill the Instant Pot after all.

    Far as rice cookers go, I've been contemplating a Zojirushi. I have currently have two, 5 and 10 cup raw, that I am becoming increasingly dissatisfied with. They are Aroma, bottom of the middle tier or top of the bottom tier, not sure which.

    I can make good/decent rice using the pot, grandma finger joint method, but am starting to lust for one of the top tier rice cookers.
    Hold my beer . . .

    Low & Slow
  • Post #224 - September 25th, 2021, 6:59 pm
    Post #224 - September 25th, 2021, 6:59 pm Post #224 - September 25th, 2021, 6:59 pm
    G Wiv wrote:I've been contemplating a Zojirushi.

    I'm glad your IP survived. If it's any help, I've had my Zojirushi for 18 years and it's still going strong. Point is, they're pricey but they seem to hold up very well.

    =R=
    Same planet, different world

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more