LTH Home

Behold, the Instant Pot

Behold, the Instant Pot
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 6 of 9
  • Post #151 - October 1st, 2019, 1:51 pm
    Post #151 - October 1st, 2019, 1:51 pm Post #151 - October 1st, 2019, 1:51 pm
    TSmitty wrote:How about IP vs. canned? Who wins that smackdown?!?

IP all day, though certainly not if time is your primary limitation. Controlling what goes into the pot has a huge impact on the output. Starting a cook with a quality fat of your choice, freshly-chopped onions, garlic, herbs, etc. pretty much makes it a no-contest, imo. Even when cooking vegan, I often find that the pot liquor is tasty enough to enjoy on its own. I can't say I've ever been tempted to eat the liquid I typically discard when I open a can of beans.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #152 - October 1st, 2019, 2:03 pm
    Post #152 - October 1st, 2019, 2:03 pm Post #152 - October 1st, 2019, 2:03 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    TSmitty wrote:How about IP vs. canned? Who wins that smackdown?!?

I can't say I've ever been tempted to eat the liquid I typically discard when I open a can of beans.

=R=

Thanks!! Point well made!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
  • Post #153 - October 1st, 2019, 3:56 pm
    Post #153 - October 1st, 2019, 3:56 pm Post #153 - October 1st, 2019, 3:56 pm
    I'll add a few points...
    I make a TON of stock and "rotisserie-style" chicken in my IP--and the results far exceed what I was ever able to make via traditional methods for both. I use chicken stock in lieu of water in making rice now, when making beans and cooking most veggies--a huge flavor boost all around. I doubt I'd do that if I wasn't making regular stock in the IP. I also use it for braising pork; making taco fillings; processing tomatoes for freezing; making sauces,salsas and gravies; beans (same comments as Ronnie's above) and soups galore. The only thing I DON'T cook in the IP is rice lol! I tried it once and it was the only item I really disliked using it for--my Zojirushi rice cooker is still my most-used kitchen appliance. But the IP is a close second (Vitamix and Cuisinart are my other two counter-claiming appliances).
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #154 - October 1st, 2019, 5:34 pm
    Post #154 - October 1st, 2019, 5:34 pm Post #154 - October 1st, 2019, 5:34 pm
    boudreaulicious wrote:The only thing I DON'T cook in the IP is rice lol! I tried it once and it was the only item I really disliked using it for--my Zojirushi rice cooker is still my most-used kitchen appliance.

Well, there goes my plan for replacing my rice cooker! I don't know if I can justify buying 2 new appliances. :(
  • Post #155 - October 2nd, 2019, 9:45 am
    Post #155 - October 2nd, 2019, 9:45 am Post #155 - October 2nd, 2019, 9:45 am
    I love cooking rice in my instant pot. I've always thought the most important factor is an air tight seal and the IP provides that. Cooking under pressure seems to help things along, and then it's just about getting the water ratio and timing correct.
    Logan: Come on, everybody, wang chung tonight! What? Everybody, wang chung tonight! Wang chung, or I'll kick your ass!
  • Post #156 - October 2nd, 2019, 11:00 am
    Post #156 - October 2nd, 2019, 11:00 am Post #156 - October 2nd, 2019, 11:00 am
    We do more brown rice than white and the IP makes brown totally perfect every time - white as well, but brown has always shown slightly skewed results any other way. Got rid of the rice cooker.

Additionally, I do a lot of soups/chilis in the winter - all day affairs that simmer and fill the house with great aromas....until I tried a few in the IP. An hour or less and the final product is as good (or better in some instances) than traditional. And I don't have to keep checking volume levels as the day goes on. Just miss those scents as it simmers.
  • Post #157 - October 2nd, 2019, 11:15 am
    Post #157 - October 2nd, 2019, 11:15 am Post #157 - October 2nd, 2019, 11:15 am
    Ugh. Now that I've posted and started to think about actually getting one, I'm seeing that the less expensive versions don't do yogurt or eggs. :?
  • Post #158 - October 2nd, 2019, 11:18 am
    Post #158 - October 2nd, 2019, 11:18 am Post #158 - October 2nd, 2019, 11:18 am
    TSmitty wrote:Ugh. Now that I've posted and started to think about actually getting one, I'm seeing that the less expensive versions don't do yogurt or eggs. :?

If you can hold off a month, there will be a plethora of deals leading up to black Friday
  • Post #159 - October 2nd, 2019, 11:34 am
    Post #159 - October 2nd, 2019, 11:34 am Post #159 - October 2nd, 2019, 11:34 am
    WhyBeeSea wrote:
    TSmitty wrote:Ugh. Now that I've posted and started to think about actually getting one, I'm seeing that the less expensive versions don't do yogurt or eggs. :?

If you can hold off a month, there will be a plethora of deals leading up to black Friday

I can certainly hold off a month, seeing as I probably have held off on replacing the rice cooker for about 5 years now!!

Which model do you all recommend?
  • Post #160 - October 2nd, 2019, 12:36 pm
    Post #160 - October 2nd, 2019, 12:36 pm Post #160 - October 2nd, 2019, 12:36 pm
    TSmitty wrote:Well, there goes my plan for replacing my rice cooker! I don't know if I can justify buying 2 new appliances. :(
    For some odd reason I never buy expensive rice cookers, stems from my $15 Hitachi 2-button rice cooker giving me terrific service for a dozen years or more.

I have been happy with my Aroma rice cooker, in fact I have two, a 8/cup model currently selling for $29.95 on amazon, Link and 20/cup for $39.95. Link. The siren song of Zojirushi calls but I do not answer.

As mentioned if you wait Amazon will have stellar deals on Instant Pots, I resisted for a couple of years but finaly succumbed for $49, or was it $59. I only seem, like others, to use mine for eggs, corn and the occasional bean but its hell on wheels for eggs and corn.

With a little patience you can have both rice cooker and Instant Pot for under $100. Unless you simply can not resist a fuzzy logic Starship Enterprise rice cooker.

My 2c, no change given.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #161 - October 2nd, 2019, 12:58 pm
    Post #161 - October 2nd, 2019, 12:58 pm Post #161 - October 2nd, 2019, 12:58 pm
    G Wiv wrote:
    With a little patience you can have both rice cooker and Instant Pot for under $100. Unless you simply can not resist a fuzzy logic Starship Enterprise rice cooker.

My 2c, no change given.

No Starship Enterprise rice cooker for me! My old one is an Aroma as well - only reason I want to replace it is that the cord is frayed almost thru in several spots and I'm fairly certain that I will set my kitchen on fire with it at some point!

So, you use the IP that you have for eggs. Is that a Duo plus then?
  • Post #162 - October 2nd, 2019, 2:41 pm
    Post #162 - October 2nd, 2019, 2:41 pm Post #162 - October 2nd, 2019, 2:41 pm
    TSmitty wrote:So, you use the IP that you have for eggs. Is that a Duo plus then?
    Not sure of the various designations of Instant Pots. According to Amazon this is what I purchased. Instant Pot DUO60 6 Qt 7-in-1.

Works fine for my somewhat limited use and I don't see myself exploring its capabilities anytime soon. Instant Pot lives in the basement, 8/cup rice cooker on the kitchen counter,
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #163 - October 2nd, 2019, 2:50 pm
    Post #163 - October 2nd, 2019, 2:50 pm Post #163 - October 2nd, 2019, 2:50 pm
    G Wiv wrote:
    TSmitty wrote:So, you use the IP that you have for eggs. Is that a Duo plus then?
    Not sure of the various designations of Instant Pots. According to Amazon this is what I purchased. Instant Pot DUO60 6 Qt 7-in-1.

Works fine for my somewhat limited use and I don't see myself exploring its capabilities anytime soon. Instant Pot lives in the basement, 8/cup rice cooker on the kitchen counter,

I have the IP-DUO80 7-in-1, 8 quart., for which I think I paid $99. It doesn't have any of the wifi or bluetooth capabilities, which I never find myself wanting, anyway.

=R=
  • Post #164 - October 2nd, 2019, 3:01 pm
    Post #164 - October 2nd, 2019, 3:01 pm Post #164 - October 2nd, 2019, 3:01 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:It doesn't have any of the wifi or bluetooth capabilities, which I never find myself wanting, anyway.
    Ha, wifi on an Instant Pot, what's next meat thermometers that send streaming info to your phone. :)
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #165 - October 2nd, 2019, 3:23 pm
    Post #165 - October 2nd, 2019, 3:23 pm Post #165 - October 2nd, 2019, 3:23 pm
    TSmitty wrote:
    G Wiv wrote:

My 2c, no change given.

No Starship Enterprise rice cooker for me! My old one is an Aroma as well - only reason I want to replace it is that the cord is frayed almost thru in several spots and I'm fairly certain that I will set my kitchen on fire with it at some point!

So, you use the IP that you have for eggs. Is that a Duo plus then?

I have the 6 qt duo and it does all the things you mentioned. And yogurt I believe but nave never tried.

Id recommend getting the 8 as mine is a tad small.
  • Post #166 - October 3rd, 2019, 2:41 am
    Post #166 - October 3rd, 2019, 2:41 am Post #166 - October 3rd, 2019, 2:41 am
    WhyBeeSea wrote:Id recommend getting the 8 as mine is a tad small.
    The 6/qt is fine for me, and that was what was on Amazon Prime sale. I bought an Egg Steamer Rack Trivet $8.99, lets me do 12-eggs and, with just the bottom rack in place, 6 ears of corn.

There have been a few instances where more Instant Pot space would have been nice for corn but I have a Le Creuset 7.25/qt that lives on my stove top, so that's a non issue. Plus a giant stainless steel pot/turkey fryer setup in case I want to cook corn for a troupe of traveling carnival folk.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #167 - October 4th, 2019, 11:52 am
    Post #167 - October 4th, 2019, 11:52 am Post #167 - October 4th, 2019, 11:52 am
    Other than the loss of counter space, I am glad we have the 8-quart.
  • Post #168 - March 16th, 2020, 2:25 pm
    Post #168 - March 16th, 2020, 2:25 pm Post #168 - March 16th, 2020, 2:25 pm
    I bought an Instant Pot Duo Nova (6 qt). Does anyone have any cookbook recommendations? I am interested in cooking Indian food and making family friendly recipes. Thanks in advance.
  • Post #169 - March 16th, 2020, 2:43 pm
    Post #169 - March 16th, 2020, 2:43 pm Post #169 - March 16th, 2020, 2:43 pm
    Chicago food based writer Chandra Ram has an instant pot Indian cookbook. The link is to a program announcement from a few months ago and a podcast, which may be of interest.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #170 - March 17th, 2020, 7:37 am
    Post #170 - March 17th, 2020, 7:37 am Post #170 - March 17th, 2020, 7:37 am
    Cathy2 wrote:Chicago food based writer Chandra Ram has an instant pot Indian cookbook. The link is to a program announcement from a few months ago and a podcast, which may be of interest.

Regards,
    Cathy2

Thanks a lot. I listened to the podcast. I also found it interesting that she co-authored a Korean BBQ cookbook.
  • Post #171 - November 10th, 2020, 6:25 pm
    Post #171 - November 10th, 2020, 6:25 pm Post #171 - November 10th, 2020, 6:25 pm
    Grrr. I'm working on using my IP more, but I continue to be frustrated by the wide ranges of guidance on pressure cooking times.

Tonight, I want to turn some chuck roast into barbacoa in the IP. The "Cooking with Your Instant Pot Mini" cookbook ("Authorized by Instant Pot") says to set the pressure cooking time to 60 minutes. The Old El Paso recipe website says 90 minutes. Epicurious says 30 minutes.

At least they all say do natural pressure release, for 20+ minutes, as long as it takes, but that's the part I knew already. But picking between 30, 60, and 90 minutes? And I'm assuming this countdown starts once the IP has come up to pressure, so the IP capacity, quantity of meat, temperature of meat, and amount of liquid should not matter.

Yes, I can always pick a time, let the pressure release, check the meat, and seal it back up to come back up to pressure for more time if needed. But I can see how using a pressure cooker (either a new IP-style electric one or a conventional stovetop one) must be daunting to beginners---even as I feel I'm gaining experience with pressure cooking, I'm mystified by these wide ranges in pressure cooking times among recipes for the same type of food. And it also seems to me that the appeal of getting a meal on the table quickly on a weeknight after work and school using an IP is undercut by a 30-min margin of uncertainty one way or the other about how long it takes to cook a cut of meat.

Anyone have any advice?
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #172 - November 10th, 2020, 8:44 pm
    Post #172 - November 10th, 2020, 8:44 pm Post #172 - November 10th, 2020, 8:44 pm
    Katie wrote:Grrr. I'm working on using my IP more, but I continue to be frustrated by the wide ranges of guidance on pressure cooking times.

Tonight, I want to turn some chuck roast into barbacoa in the IP. The "Cooking with Your Instant Pot Mini" cookbook ("Authorized by Instant Pot") says to set the pressure cooking time to 60 minutes. The Old El Paso recipe website says 90 minutes. Epicurious says 30 minutes.

At least they all say do natural pressure release, for 20+ minutes, as long as it takes, but that's the part I knew already. But picking between 30, 60, and 90 minutes? And I'm assuming this countdown starts once the IP has come up to pressure, so the IP capacity, quantity of meat, temperature of meat, and amount of liquid should not matter.

Yes, I can always pick a time, let the pressure release, check the meat, and seal it back up to come back up to pressure for more time if needed. But I can see how using a pressure cooker (either a new IP-style electric one or a conventional stovetop one) must be daunting to beginners---even as I feel I'm gaining experience with pressure cooking, I'm mystified by these wide ranges in pressure cooking times among recipes for the same type of food. And it also seems to me that the appeal of getting a meal on the table quickly on a weeknight after work and school using an IP is undercut by a 30-min margin of uncertainty one way or the other about how long it takes to cook a cut of meat.

Anyone have any advice?

For things I’m doing for the first time in the IP, I spend the extra few minutes online to find highly rated recipes, preferably from sites I’ve used before, and I read the comments. Makes all the difference. I took a quick look at the Epicurious recipe comments and I think you’ll be able to navigate your way based on those.
    Last edited by boudreaulicious on November 10th, 2020, 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #173 - November 11th, 2020, 12:46 pm
    Post #173 - November 11th, 2020, 12:46 pm Post #173 - November 11th, 2020, 12:46 pm
    Thanks, boudreaulicious, that's helpful. I'll start there.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #174 - November 12th, 2020, 9:29 am
    Post #174 - November 12th, 2020, 9:29 am Post #174 - November 12th, 2020, 9:29 am
    I have an instant pot and I also bought the metal non stick liner and glass cover. I have never bonded with the instant pot. The controls are confusing to me and I like to see things as I cook them. Everything in the instapot seems like boiled meat which I dislike. I have a multicooker. One is an old Wolfgang Puck and my latest is made by Crock pot. They have been gamechangers. I have made some of the best meals in my life in them. You can brown meat right in the pot and you can sear, boil, slow cook, steam, etc in the pot because it is non stick and metal. Browning the meat with the aromatics such as garlic and onions, and then adding some liquid (often wine or stock) and then turning on to a slow cooker cycle makes for a very delicious result. Flavor is developed through carmelization. To make the sauce or gravy thicker, you can add a cornstarch slurry. I also prefer the oval shape of a multicooker rather than the round shape of the instant pot. I usually use the short slow cook cycle and sometimes turn it off after three hours not four. I don't need to do things quick because I am retired. I got all the time in the world to get the food done.
    Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #175 - November 12th, 2020, 9:58 am
    Post #175 - November 12th, 2020, 9:58 am Post #175 - November 12th, 2020, 9:58 am
    I remain very happy with my Instant Pot. Like Ronnie and others have said in this thread, it works best when you have the background skills to tweak recipes as needed. I agree that the controls are not intuitive, but I think that's because it has buttons for both cooking methods (i.e. pressure, slow cook, etc.) and for types of food (i.e. rice, etc.). I ignore the latter and just use the former.

Melissa Clark's book Dinner in an Instant is excellent and the Kindle version is $5.

By far, the number one thing I use it for is beans. Dry beans to fully cooked beans in about 45 minutes, or less.
  • Post #176 - November 12th, 2020, 10:16 am
    Post #176 - November 12th, 2020, 10:16 am Post #176 - November 12th, 2020, 10:16 am
    I loved mine at first but have come to regard it as a middle of the road gadget that does a good, not great, job with most tasks. I think it excels for hard-cooked eggs and corn on the cob. Beyond that, I only use it when I'm really short on time, and when I'm willing to accept a less-than-optimal end result. Perhaps, if I did more pressure cooking, my feelings would be different but for a vast majority of my cooking tasks, a good dutch oven + a low flame is a superior path.

=R=
  • Post #177 - November 12th, 2020, 3:23 pm
    Post #177 - November 12th, 2020, 3:23 pm Post #177 - November 12th, 2020, 3:23 pm
    In the Sourdough Era our Instant Pot just misses permanently-on-counter status, but it really has had weekly use this year.

I've had five consistent go-tos with it: pozole, carnitas (which then get a pass under the broiler), batches of deviled eggs (especially for Jacque Pepin's pan-fried Eggs Jeanette over salad, or sauce gribiche), Indian butter chicken, and chicken adobo with bone-in chicken.

Each start with inexpensive ingredients and the pressure cooking is foolproof and flavorful; other pans / hardware are minimized, and the final textures are forgiving and/or don't matter vs. other methods (with the exception of the eggs, where the device actually adds precision vs. negating its relevance). With proteins trimmed right no skimming is needed, and I adore that the stainless steel sleeve is about as non-stick as any cooking surface and cleans without effort.

I sometimes wish I had two (or a rice cooker) so that I could make idiot-proof rice simultaneously to accompany, but my hack has been do make the rice a day ahead and microwave (or make fried rice), or to use frozen steamable rice or Costco shelf-stable sticky rice to accompany. Uncle Roger might be annoyed but at least no strainer is involved.
  • Post #178 - November 13th, 2020, 7:04 am
    Post #178 - November 13th, 2020, 7:04 am Post #178 - November 13th, 2020, 7:04 am
    I sometimes wish I had two (or a rice cooker)

You could just get a second insert. They're about $20, either non-stick or stainless steel.
  • Post #179 - November 13th, 2020, 9:30 am
    Post #179 - November 13th, 2020, 9:30 am Post #179 - November 13th, 2020, 9:30 am
    My IP continues to command a counter spot, as it gets used at least 1-2x a week. In addition to producing the best stock I’ve ever made by far, I also discovered it was a super easy way to process tomatoes (using the steamer function). And as others noted, it yielded a fantastic batch of Carnitas. The ability to sear/brown, then pressure cook results in really nice braises with very easy cleanup. But I’m still not a fan of rice made in it, so my Zog still gets regular use.
  • Post #180 - November 13th, 2020, 9:39 am
    Post #180 - November 13th, 2020, 9:39 am Post #180 - November 13th, 2020, 9:39 am
    boudreaulicious wrote:In addition to producing the best stock I’ve ever made by far . . .

Yes. This, I want to try soon. You're not the first person I've heard this from. What's your method?

=R=

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more