LTH Home

Koenemann's sausage

Koenemann's sausage
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
     Page 1 of 2
  • Koenemann's sausage

Post #1 - May 24th, 2017, 4:05 pm
    Post #1 - May 24th, 2017, 4:05 pm Post #1 - May 24th, 2017, 4:05 pm
    I googled konemanns sausage on the right side it said permanently closed. Yet their website is runnning. Are they closed?

Thanks
    Jerry
  • Post #2 - May 25th, 2017, 9:56 am
    Post #2 - May 25th, 2017, 9:56 am Post #2 - May 25th, 2017, 9:56 am
    Hi,

I stop by Koenemann's from time to time.

Last summer, I noticed they had changed how they sold and displayed sausages. There was a big grill outside with guys cooking their fresh sausages for sampling.

I learned Koenemann's had been sold the year before and now they were instituting changes. When I asked their ethnicity, they advised Europeans. I countered with a guess: Ukrainians? They agreed they were Ukrainian.

I was there less than a month ago with dreams of buying my usual order. The door was closed with a sign stating temporarily closed awaiting new management (or something like that). There was a sticker advising electricity had been shut off.

I checked Yelp, which did not advise yet it was closed. I checked their website, too, which was still functioning. Their facebook page had not been updated since mid-February. I called the phone number, which was also operating.

You can only hope someone takes it over, revives their recipes and carries on, but it certainly does not look good presently.

I pass by there going to the farms over the summer. I will be regularly checking and will advise if anything changes.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #3 - May 4th, 2018, 7:13 am
    Post #3 - May 4th, 2018, 7:13 am Post #3 - May 4th, 2018, 7:13 am
    Hi,

Stopped by the Koenemann's Sausage store to find it still closed. On the plus side, the ComEd sticker advising the electricity has been shut off is gone. The windows are covered in some black material, so you cannot look in to see what's going on.

There is a sign pasted on the door about management, though no real promise of it opening once more.

Their flying Dutchman website is still going.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #4 - May 4th, 2018, 10:51 am
    Post #4 - May 4th, 2018, 10:51 am Post #4 - May 4th, 2018, 10:51 am
    Thanks Cathy2

Lowjones
  • Post #5 - March 2nd, 2021, 3:10 pm
    Post #5 - March 2nd, 2021, 3:10 pm Post #5 - March 2nd, 2021, 3:10 pm
    Hi,

This afternoon I dropped in at Bende's Outlet. As I strolled over I thought I might inquire if they knew what happened to Koenemann's Sausage.

The first person I encountered I immediately recognized as a former employee at Koenemann's. She was particularly memorable because she once scolded me on my approach to ordering sausage. When I asked about Koenemann's, she snapped they had closed. What about the Ukrainians who bought it? No comment. How is Koenemann's operating? I am seeing their products at various stores. Bende bought Koenemann's operations.

As a former employee, she would know if my favorite soulze with vinegar was still in production. She opened a refrigerator and handed me a tube of soulze. I could not wait to get home to try it. Unfortunately, it is not as I hoped: not enough vinegar, more rubbery than in the past and the meat was dry. Their blood sausage and liver sausage was still quite satisfying.

Now we know the rest of the story! My Dad heard they offer Hungarian sausages now wants to visit for a paprika sausage he used to buy in Hungary.

Regards,
    Cathy2

Bende's Outlet
    925 Corporate Woods Pkwy, Vernon Hills, IL 60061
    Hours: Tuesday-Friday: 7 AM until 3:30 PM, Saturday: 9 AM until 3:30 PM
    Christmas Eve and New Years Eve: 7 AM until 1 PM
    Phone: (847) 913-0304
    Cathy2

• Post #6 - March 2nd, 2021, 10:22 pm
    Post #6 - March 2nd, 2021, 10:22 pm Post #6 - March 2nd, 2021, 10:22 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:She was particularly memorable because she once scolded me on my approach to ordering sausage.

Is it weird that I'm chuckling to myself reading this sentence, dreaming up various scenarios, and wondering what the backstory is?
  • Post #7 - March 3rd, 2021, 8:28 am
    Post #7 - March 3rd, 2021, 8:28 am Post #7 - March 3rd, 2021, 8:28 am
    Binko wrote:
    Cathy2 wrote:She was particularly memorable because she once scolded me on my approach to ordering sausage.

Is it weird that I'm chuckling to myself reading this sentence, dreaming up various scenarios, and wondering what the backstory is?

Hi,

I bought all the Westphalian meat ends, then ordered the full price retail items. This annoyed her greatly and she did not hold back. All the other behind the counter people were always so much easier to work with. Yet she is perhaps the only holdover from that era.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #8 - March 4th, 2021, 11:44 am
    Post #8 - March 4th, 2021, 11:44 am Post #8 - March 4th, 2021, 11:44 am
    Binko wrote:

I was getting ready to post something along the lines of, 'Surely I can't be the only one wondering about your approach to ordering sausage,' but Binko beat me to it.

Cathy2 wrote:I bought all the Westphalian meat ends, then ordered the full price retail items. This annoyed her greatly and she did not hold back.

I think I still need a little clarification. What was it about your ordering she found annoying? Did you purchase too many ham ends? Or were you supposed to start with the sausages? Or…?
  • Post #9 - March 4th, 2021, 12:41 pm
    Post #9 - March 4th, 2021, 12:41 pm Post #9 - March 4th, 2021, 12:41 pm
    Perhaps the employees got to take home all the ham ends that hadn't sold by the end of the day?
  • Post #10 - March 4th, 2021, 5:36 pm
    Post #10 - March 4th, 2021, 5:36 pm Post #10 - March 4th, 2021, 5:36 pm
    ReneG wrote:I think I still need a little clarification. What was it about your ordering she found annoying? Did you purchase too many ham ends? Or were you supposed to start with the sausages? Or…?

I wanted those ham ends. There was the potential another customer would have taken them first. They are great for ham salad or seasoning a soup. If did not buy them, someone else would.

She had taken my orders before as well as other staff, there was never an issue before nor any afterwards. On that day, I was her target practice. I never really avoided her, though I was delighted when she was not serving me.

tjr wrote:Perhaps the employees got to take home all the ham ends that hadn't sold by the end of the day?

I have no idea what employees did at Koenemann's, though it is not in the establishments best interest to let it happen.

I recall a conversation with someone who runs a BBQ establishment. Early in his business, he allowed employees to take leftovers home. He caught on they were overcooking with plans to take food home. He finally put a stop to it. Nobody could take leftovers home unless they paid for it.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #11 - May 5th, 2021, 4:37 pm
    Post #11 - May 5th, 2021, 4:37 pm Post #11 - May 5th, 2021, 4:37 pm
    Newbie here. Found this thread while exercising a wave of nostalgia for Koenemann's and see fairly recent postings.
    The Koenemann's web site and Face Book accounts are still there. It's a shame they don't put up a note. I posted on FB what I could about the status so far.
    It's so nice to see the page up, but then the fact that they are gone doesn't feel good. A time will come to just accept the change...

My mother-in-law had such a rich culture and friend group, we miss that as they are all pretty much gone. One of our favorite Bavarian mixes has been discontinued too.

I'm trying to get in contact with whomever I can to get the most accurate story as I've seen some things on FB and want to verify. The founder's son shows up on Linked In and I sent him a message asking if he'd provide the information on the recent history and status. He's got to be up in years, too.
    We had been in once or twice after the Ukrainians re-opened it and there were some changes, but is was so good to see it open and still familiar.

With the German town on North Lincoln Avenue and others like Andersonville changing, the German atmosphere is fading. A shame.

I am aware of Bende buying the meat recipes and my wife had seen some meat, somewhere, under the name after they closed. I haven't gotten to Bende's yet.

I don't know if they are still using the Volo factory in back, but stopped by last week and the stuff stored in the storefront was arranged differently from some time ago (?early last year?) when I last looked.. And the gate to the back was closed.

Also a friend of a friend says that Konemman makes a batch of something once a year and makes it available to friends.
    Cheers
    ... let's see how this works...
  • Post #12 - May 5th, 2021, 8:53 pm
    Post #12 - May 5th, 2021, 8:53 pm Post #12 - May 5th, 2021, 8:53 pm
    Poking around I also found these resources:

https://germanfoods.org/find/stores-res ... -illinois/
    "About GermanFoods.org
    This website provides “everything you always wanted to know” about German cooking and culinary heritage. Here we link hundreds of authentic contemporary and historic recipes to essential ingredients and side dishes. You can find addresses of German shops, restaurants, beer garden, Oktoberfest and more all across the USA and Canada. Get background stories, cultural facts and regional insights from all German states and neighboring regions. Learn about well-known manufacturers and their brands. And shop among 1100+ imported foods and beverages for everyday and seasonal occasions on this website or on the related online shop The Taste of Germany.com"
    It is based in DC and you can select a state to look in, from the triple bar menu at the top-center. It still shows Koenemann's and Kuhn's, so I sent them a note.

Here is a monthly German food "care package" that has very flexible options. It's around $50+ per month.
    https://germanfoodbox.com/

Regards, Steve
  • Post #13 - October 19th, 2021, 4:57 pm
    Post #13 - October 19th, 2021, 4:57 pm Post #13 - October 19th, 2021, 4:57 pm
    Too sad. Now Fritzl's is closed Oct 18 2021. We were just talking about going... :cry:
    https://fritzl.com/
  • Post #14 - January 10th, 2022, 8:49 am
    Post #14 - January 10th, 2022, 8:49 am Post #14 - January 10th, 2022, 8:49 am
    Just sending a New Year Best Wishes greeting, making some forum activity and verifying my log-in after full computer crash, back on new computer.
    Still haven't made it down to Bende's myself, but my son works in that area and had him stop by [when he went in] and pick up some Marzipan Pigs for wife and family. We're all RICH now!

We got so much German goodies for Christmas, we'll be enjoying it well into the spring!

Holiday Decorations 90% put away, but things less cluttered, too. (Trying to find something positive, though it's always sad to see it end)

My son subscribed to one of the German food boxes, so we've been getting some things periodically (as long as he doesn't pick it over too badly beforehand) (;-o).

I hope everyone reading had pleasant holidays, that the new year is good to you and thanks for maintaining this site.
    Regards, Steve
  • Post #15 - January 10th, 2022, 11:10 am
    Post #15 - January 10th, 2022, 11:10 am Post #15 - January 10th, 2022, 11:10 am
    Hi,

We were in Milwaukee last week. We went a bit hog wild at Usinger's. A freezer I was carefully making space is now packed with German sausages.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

• Post #16 - January 10th, 2022, 11:29 am
    Post #16 - January 10th, 2022, 11:29 am Post #16 - January 10th, 2022, 11:29 am
    Cathy2 wrote:We were in Milwaukee last week. We went a bit hog wild at Usinger's. A freezer I was carefully making space is now packed with German sausages.

We hit the Usinger's store in December in a hunt for an Secret Santa gift. Their pit bacon is darn good! I can see making Usinger's a more regular stop when up that way.
    -Mary
  • Post #17 - January 10th, 2022, 11:30 am
    Post #17 - January 10th, 2022, 11:30 am Post #17 - January 10th, 2022, 11:30 am
    Cathy2 wrote:Hi,

We were in Milwaukee last week. We went a bit hog wild at Usinger's. A freezer I was carefully making space is now packed with German sausages.

Regards,
    CAthy2

Hog wild, funny.
    We've been rearranging our two freezer sections for months because tomatoes were fruitful this year for many of the gardeners.
    Happy New Year.
  • Post #18 - January 10th, 2022, 12:03 pm
    Post #18 - January 10th, 2022, 12:03 pm Post #18 - January 10th, 2022, 12:03 pm
    Steve N wrote:

Regards,
    CAthy2

Hog wild, funny.
    Happy New Year.

Yeah, isn't that the wurst?! :lol:

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #19 - January 10th, 2022, 8:13 pm
    Post #19 - January 10th, 2022, 8:13 pm Post #19 - January 10th, 2022, 8:13 pm
    Well... My son showed up with a handful of the Marzipan Pigs and a Gelbwurst, one of wife's favorites.
    So looks like you both nailed it!
    Frohes neues Jahr.
  • Post #20 - March 29th, 2022, 9:13 am
    Post #20 - March 29th, 2022, 9:13 am Post #20 - March 29th, 2022, 9:13 am
    QUESTION: There was a German restaurant on the east side of Milwaukee Ave. (21) just north of Lake-Cook road. That's either Wheeling or Libertyville. It's been closed for quite a few years, perhaps 15 or more. There was a Weber grill almost across the street.
    Anyone recall the name?
    We used to go down that way to visit my folks in Niles and always saw, but never managed to stop in at the Munich Inn before Hans passed. (:-(
  • Post #21 - March 29th, 2022, 9:31 am
    Post #21 - March 29th, 2022, 9:31 am Post #21 - March 29th, 2022, 9:31 am
    Steve N wrote:QUESTION: There was a German restaurant on the east side of Milwaukee Ave. (21) just north of Lake-Cook road. That's either Wheeling or Libertyville. It's been closed for quite a few years, perhaps 15 or more. There was a Weber grill almost across the street.
    Anyone recall the name?
    We used to go down that way to visit my folks in Niles and always saw, but never managed to stop in at the Munich Inn before Hans passed. (:-(

Hans Bavarian Lodge
    931 N. Milwaukee Ave.
    Wheeling
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #22 - March 29th, 2022, 2:44 pm
    Post #22 - March 29th, 2022, 2:44 pm Post #22 - March 29th, 2022, 2:44 pm
    Dave148 wrote:Hans Bavarian Lodge
    931 N. Milwaukee Ave.
    Wheeling

West side of the road though
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #23 - March 29th, 2022, 5:52 pm
    Post #23 - March 29th, 2022, 5:52 pm Post #23 - March 29th, 2022, 5:52 pm
    Hi,

Han's was on the east side of Milwaukee Avenue.

My family and I only went there a few times.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #24 - March 29th, 2022, 6:33 pm
    Post #24 - March 29th, 2022, 6:33 pm Post #24 - March 29th, 2022, 6:33 pm
    I recall it had a person's (man) name, but that doesn't ring the bell, but it was on the east side and apparently, I misjudged the location. I would bet it was just north of lake-cook. I didn't think it was that far south, but a mind is a terrible thing to waste.
    That name now sounds comfortable. I'll see if Wife (the German) remembers now.
    I'm sure you would'a said if there was a page on LTH for it. . .
    Any idea when it closed?
    I thought there was a Weber Gill and a possibly Mexican place near on the west side. Oh well. That must be it.
    So many German places closed now. Sad.
    Thanks both.
  • Post #25 - March 29th, 2022, 6:38 pm
    Post #25 - March 29th, 2022, 6:38 pm Post #25 - March 29th, 2022, 6:38 pm
    Did Buffalo Grove annex the land this place used to be on? There's no longer a 931 N Milwaukee Ave in Wheeling, per Google maps. It should be the east side just north of Lake Cook, but that is now showing as part of a large Lake Cook address that's part of Buffalo Grove. Google maps has plenty of errors, so it could easily be off, but just wanted to note that complication to determining where it was by map.
  • Post #26 - March 29th, 2022, 6:43 pm
    Post #26 - March 29th, 2022, 6:43 pm Post #26 - March 29th, 2022, 6:43 pm
    Weber Grill was at 920 Milwaukee Ave.
    The Mexican restaurant you’re thinking of is:
    Mi Mexico Restaurant
    220 Milwaukee Ave, Buffalo Grove. It’s just south of Chevy Chase Country Club which is in Wheeling.
    Last edited by Dave148 on March 29th, 2022, 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #27 - March 29th, 2022, 6:54 pm
    Post #27 - March 29th, 2022, 6:54 pm Post #27 - March 29th, 2022, 6:54 pm

Han's was on the east side of Milwaukee Avenue.

My family and I only went there a few times.

Regards,
    Cathy2

I must be thinking of the Old Munich Tavern, between Bucca di Beppo and Boston Fish Market.

I found this old postcard online that says 931 N Milwaukee Wheeling, and this old trib article that confirms that, but Wheeling only goes up to the 600s north -- past Lake Cook is Buffalo Grove -- (aha, it appears Buffalo Grove annexed that -- they own everything up there but the Chevy Chase Country Club, which is 1000 N Milwaukee, Wheeling).
    Last edited by JoelF on March 29th, 2022, 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #28 - March 29th, 2022, 6:58 pm
    Post #28 - March 29th, 2022, 6:58 pm Post #28 - March 29th, 2022, 6:58 pm
    OH WAIT! Google maps led me to the Glenview address number, not Wheeling.
    It looks like just north of Lake-Cook is now called Buffalo grove, but the address would be about right if it was from Wheeling.
    Whew! Brain not gone yet. . .
    Thanks again.
    Yes, the Old Munich Inn, now Tavern is closer to Wheeling. Wife was born south of Munich. Damn sorry we never stopped in when Hans was there.

Nostalgia used to be something you looked forward to.
  • Post #29 - March 29th, 2022, 7:07 pm
    Post #29 - March 29th, 2022, 7:07 pm Post #29 - March 29th, 2022, 7:07 pm
    JoelF wrote:I found this old postcard online that says 931 N Milwaukee Wheeling, and this old trib article that confirms that, but Wheeling only goes up to the 600s north -- past Lake Cook is Buffalo Grove -- (aha, it appears Buffalo Grove annexed that -- they own everything up there but the Chevy Chase Country Club, which is 1000 N Milwaukee, Wheeling).

.. ..
    .. ..
    Thanks, JoelF. Once I had the name, I saw that postcard.
    Also, thanks for that Trib link. When I saw that one it gave me a PayWall.
    - -
    Mit freundlichen Grüßen
  • Post #30 - March 29th, 2022, 9:35 pm
    Post #30 - March 29th, 2022, 9:35 pm Post #30 - March 29th, 2022, 9:35 pm
    Hi,

My high school German teacher had a strong dislike to Hans. I met him a few times, too. I cannot put my finger on why, but I did not find him very likeable, either.

If anyone can recall his personability, that would be interesting to see if my faint memory is accurate.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more