LTH Home

Koenemann's sausage

Koenemann's sausage
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - April 4th, 2022, 7:38 pm
    Post #31 - April 4th, 2022, 7:38 pm Post #31 - April 4th, 2022, 7:38 pm
    bweiny wrote: Did Buffalo Grove annex the land this place used to be on? There's no longer a 931 N Milwaukee Ave in Wheeling, ....

It appears that way.

P.S. Something funny going on here. I posted this and it appeared to be on another Koenemann's page. Moved it here.
  • Post #32 - April 4th, 2022, 7:50 pm
    Post #32 - April 4th, 2022, 7:50 pm Post #32 - April 4th, 2022, 7:50 pm
    Steve N wrote:bweiny wrote: Did Buffalo Grove annex the land this place used to be on? There's no longer a 931 N Milwaukee Ave in Wheeling, ....

It appears that way.

P.S. Something funny going on here. I posted this and it appeared to be on another Koenemann's page. Moved it here.

There are still several parcels in Lake County with Wheeling addresses including Chevy Chase Country Club. Lynfred Winery is 971 N.

931 Milwaukee definitely doesn't exist anymore.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #33 - June 13th, 2022, 3:57 pm
    Post #33 - June 13th, 2022, 3:57 pm Post #33 - June 13th, 2022, 3:57 pm
    I posted some info on the Koenemann's Face Book page a while back, but I was talking with a few others in another butcher shop and Koeneman's came up because we bought a few of their brats. One of the people said that there was more they wouldn't talk about, but apparently the "Ukrainian" group who contracted to buy the K's not only failed to buy, but did some very unscrupulous things to sabotage things going forward. it clearly wasn't anything to do with Bendes. We're glad they continue with the recipes to help reduce the nostalgia a bit with so many places closed.
    Good wishes to all.
  • Post #34 - June 13th, 2022, 4:11 pm
    Post #34 - June 13th, 2022, 4:11 pm Post #34 - June 13th, 2022, 4:11 pm
    An amazingly content free and innuendo high post.
  • Post #35 - June 13th, 2022, 4:15 pm
    Post #35 - June 13th, 2022, 4:15 pm Post #35 - June 13th, 2022, 4:15 pm
    I may have double posted. sorry.
  • Post #36 - June 13th, 2022, 4:20 pm
    Post #36 - June 13th, 2022, 4:20 pm Post #36 - June 13th, 2022, 4:20 pm
    lougord99 wrote:An amazingly content free and innuendo high post.

This person has been following the Koenemann saga as much as I have. What he said is something I heard, too.

I met the new owners who fizzled out. A while later, I went to their shop to find a sticker the electricity had been shut off.

At Bende's, there is a sales lady who I remember from Koenemann's who responds quite angry about this situation. No details, but clearly it was not pretty.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #37 - July 19th, 2022, 9:16 am
    Post #37 - July 19th, 2022, 9:16 am Post #37 - July 19th, 2022, 9:16 am
    Hi,

One of my favorite products from Koenemann's was their Sulze with a vinegary kick.

When I went to Bende to try their Koenemann's recipe intepretation, it had a rubbery texture and not much vinegar.

When I was in Milwaukee recently, I bought Usinger's Sulze. It is far closer to what I liked at Koenemann's with a very nice vinegar kick and a less rubbery texture.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #38 - July 20th, 2022, 5:46 am
    Post #38 - July 20th, 2022, 5:46 am Post #38 - July 20th, 2022, 5:46 am
    lougord99 wrote: An amazingly content free and innuendo high post.

If you're trying to ask if I have more information, just ask. The answer is no. The shop staff we talked to said something to the effect that there was more she knew, but wouldn't go into detail. I don't know if she knew details, or didn't want to repeat partial or inaccurate info. Ask at other butcher shops. Perhaps someone else will say more.

The brats were ok.

I didn't get the email notification on these latest postings until today.
  • Post #39 - February 25th, 2023, 10:04 pm
    Post #39 - February 25th, 2023, 10:04 pm Post #39 - February 25th, 2023, 10:04 pm
    Hi folks,
    I finally managed to stop by Bende's in Vernon Hills mid week-day. I didn't have much time and I really need to get my wife there so she can see what she'd like.
    It is about the size of Koenemann's and the shelves are jam-packed, though only one other shopper, so I had the run of the place. From the web site you get the idea it is a huge store. It appears they may have moved to a smaller room.

It was nice to be in a place like that and I chatted with one of the women who said she worked for Koenemann's. I didn't recognize her. When I asked about the Koenemann's recipe meats, there weren't any fresh just then and she remarked, with somewhat of a shrug, that the recipes are changed some. We just had to agree that things change.
    http://www.bende.com

Last fall we also went to Lake Geneva Country Meats up on highway 50 east of Lake Geneva on a Saturday. It was big and jammed and with so many things - and people. It felt good.
    lakegenevacountrymeats.com

Two miles east of there on 50 is River Valley Ranch. It was also fairly Saturday-busy and we went for mushroom mulch bags. Though it is rather small, it was nice to browse around and pick up some things. They have just about anything you can imagine 'mushroom'!
    I just saw on their web site that they had a Chicago, Ravenswood store that just closed Dec 31 2022, but they will be at farmers markets. Sigh
    (:-(
    rvrvalley.com/

I posted related things like this for others, on the Koenemann's Face Book page, including info for the German food mail order / subscription package services I'd found.
    We're slowly coming to terms with change. . . Sort of. And finally getting over the 'take down Christmas stuff ' funk. Can't wait to get next year's stuff up.
    - -
    Best Regards to all.
  • Post #40 - February 4th, 2024, 10:16 pm
    Post #40 - February 4th, 2024, 10:16 pm Post #40 - February 4th, 2024, 10:16 pm
    Anyone still listening here?
    I hope you are all well.
    Happy New Year to all.

I've been a long-time away from here - a year.
    Just an FYI.
    I know we can't turn the clock back and things change, but an FYI to help a little, perhaps, with the nostalgia, particularly strong after this year's holidays with the current family.
    So many have left us and so many familiar places closed. . .
    The Koenemann's building is active again. Two Italian fellas, one with shops in Chicago has opened up here.
    They say: "Housed in a building rich with tradition."
    Wife and I want to drag our old bones over there as soon as we can muster the time and effort.

Volo Quality Meats.

https://voloqualitymeats.com/
    (224) 814-6057

Tony is co-owner In Chicago of:
    TEMPESTA MARKET: 1372 W. GRAND AVE. CHICAGO
    OLD POST OFFICE: 433 W VAN BUREN ST. CHICAGO
    312·929·2551

I had been getting emails when someone responds, so I hope I hear from someone.
    - -
    Beste grüße
  • Post #41 - February 5th, 2024, 9:06 am
    Post #41 - February 5th, 2024, 9:06 am Post #41 - February 5th, 2024, 9:06 am
    Interesting. I can understand putting a meat processing plant there, but the market/cafe seems a little upscale for the area. On the other hand, Riverside Chocolate has been in the general area for a long time.

Will have to check it out sometime...Woodman's run, maybe.
  • Post #42 - February 5th, 2024, 5:15 pm
    Post #42 - February 5th, 2024, 5:15 pm Post #42 - February 5th, 2024, 5:15 pm
    tjr wrote:Interesting. I can understand putting a meat processing plant there, but the market/cafe seems a little upscale for the area.

Koenemann's sausage was there for many, many years as a shop and a few blocks away was their processing plant. It will be interesting to see what is going on with this new iteration of a meat shop.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #43 - February 6th, 2024, 8:00 am
    Post #43 - February 6th, 2024, 8:00 am Post #43 - February 6th, 2024, 8:00 am
    tjr wrote:Will have to check it out sometime...Woodman's run, maybe.

Volo Auto Museum is right down the road. Would make a great stop along the way.
  • Post #44 - February 6th, 2024, 3:23 pm
    Post #44 - February 6th, 2024, 3:23 pm Post #44 - February 6th, 2024, 3:23 pm
    Yes, Koenemann's was the German deli in the area. One time, probably in the 90s, we came in and a fella had been coming all the way from somewhere near Joliet. As all the German real immigrants die, there is less and less likelihood that their children, etc. will take over the Delis and restaurants.

I also understood production was all in the building behind the deli shop. I don't know where this 'factory' is/was.
    I think the last Koenemann was the grandson of the original and the deli was out here because the original pig farm was out this way from Chicago.

Meyer's on Lincoln Ave is now Gene's Sausage shop, Gene being Polish, as I am, but we haven't been to Lincoln Ave. since Wife's mom [our 'OMA'] passed. At least it will still have the old-world atmosphere.

There are a few German places in the N.W. Mount Prospect area.

Fritzl's in Lake Zurich closed Oct 2021. https://fritzl.com/

I also heard that the supposedly 'Ukrainian' group that failed to buy Koenemann's in '17 removed critical parts from some machines so they couldn't be used.

While I'm thinking, here's some others FYI:

I recently ran across a Karen Lodder, I believe in California. She has a very active web site and Face Book page: "German Girl In America" and is Very active posting all the stories [tree pickle & Ground Hog Day] as well as the Kristkindl and other activities.

germangirlinamerica.com
    https://www.facebook.com/GermanGirlinAmerica

Also, Chicago: https://www.donauchicago.com/

DANK HAUS

American Aid Society for German Descendants https://www.americanaidsocietyofgd.org/events
    They have a northside Chicago club house as well as 259 W Grand Ave, Lake Villa, IL for festivals.
    There is a large and active German community in Leavenworth, Washington: https://leavenworth.org/
    Then there's at least one other mail order German food subscriptions similar to German Food Box:
    https://germanfoodbox.com/
    https://www.thetasteofgermany.com/
    Happy New Year to all.
    Last edited by Steve N on February 11th, 2024, 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #45 - February 7th, 2024, 9:46 pm
    Post #45 - February 7th, 2024, 9:46 pm Post #45 - February 7th, 2024, 9:46 pm
    What was the Koenemann's shop like? What types of sausages did they make? Ham? Other German foods too?
  • Post #46 - February 7th, 2024, 11:27 pm
    Post #46 - February 7th, 2024, 11:27 pm Post #46 - February 7th, 2024, 11:27 pm
    tjr wrote:What was the Koenemann's shop like? What types of sausages did they make? Ham? Other German foods too?

Despite their being sold or dissolved, their website remains up and answers some of your questions: https://koenemannsausage.com/

They sold German bread, German candy, cooking utensils like spaetzle makers, dried spaetzle, imported canned goods, German language books and newspapers.

Meyer's in Lincoln Square was a better stocked store. You could not get your sausage any fresher than Koenemann's and 50ish miles away.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #47 - February 8th, 2024, 10:44 am
    Post #47 - February 8th, 2024, 10:44 am Post #47 - February 8th, 2024, 10:44 am
    Danke, Cathy! Interesting, and more German than the many German-American sausage makers that used to dot southeastern Wisconsin. Not many of them left either.
  • Post #48 - February 9th, 2024, 9:23 pm
    Post #48 - February 9th, 2024, 9:23 pm Post #48 - February 9th, 2024, 9:23 pm
    tjr wrote:What was the Koenemann's shop like? What types of sausages did they make? Ham? Other German foods too?

I'm not the expert, but from my view, they had everything German. ignore spelling] Brat wurst, weisswurst, Land Jager (hard skinny salami-like, hand-held sticks). My wife loved calf's liver. Bulk cheeses. Two long cases, one for meat, the other for cheese. All sorts of cookies, candies and full-sized cakes. They had those Polish fruit syrups. More than I ever knew about. It hurts to think about all the stuff, now gone.
    Cheers

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more