LTH Home

The Impossible Burger

The Impossible Burger
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 4 of 5
  • Post #91 - November 10th, 2020, 4:54 pm
    Post #91 - November 10th, 2020, 4:54 pm Post #91 - November 10th, 2020, 4:54 pm
    JoelF wrote:How about Veg-i-Mac, or McMeatless?

"McVeggie" sounds better than your two.

I'd fire McFire you, too.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #92 - November 10th, 2020, 9:03 pm
    Post #92 - November 10th, 2020, 9:03 pm Post #92 - November 10th, 2020, 9:03 pm
    McPlant sounds like a Beatles/Zeppelin tribute band.
  • Post #93 - November 11th, 2020, 10:18 am
    Post #93 - November 11th, 2020, 10:18 am Post #93 - November 11th, 2020, 10:18 am
    Presumably it could be called McSoybean but that would not sound good?

My first experience with a veggie burger was IIRC gold coast dogs on State (Wabash?) just north of the river in the 1980s or earlier. I asked and was told the main ingredient was brazil nuts. It was not imitatioin beef, but very good in its own right, I'd buy them just because they were good.

Does anybody know of anything like that?
    --Carey aka underdog
  • Post #94 - November 11th, 2020, 12:20 pm
    Post #94 - November 11th, 2020, 12:20 pm Post #94 - November 11th, 2020, 12:20 pm
    JoelF wrote:
    Dave148 wrote:
    McDonald’s to launch its own plant-based burger, the McPlant, after Beyond Meat test

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/mcdon ... 1604949575

Ugh, fire their branding manager.
    McPlant? I'm not McLovin it.
    How about Veg-i-Mac, or McMeatless?

Odd. If they don't have vegetarian fries I doubt it will move the vegetarian customers to McD's.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #95 - November 11th, 2020, 1:47 pm
    Post #95 - November 11th, 2020, 1:47 pm Post #95 - November 11th, 2020, 1:47 pm
    diversedancer wrote:My first experience with a veggie burger was IIRC gold coast dogs on State (Wabash?) just north of the river in the 1980s or earlier. I asked and was told the main ingredient was brazil nuts. It was not imitatioin beef, but very good in its own right, I'd buy them just because they were good.

Does anybody know of anything like that?

The first Gold Coast Dogs opened on the southwest corner of State & Hubbard in 1985. Even in their early days GCD served meatless items like veggie burgers and grilled tuna sandwiches. I think a veggie burger is still on the menu at whatever locations may be open now. I have no idea how similar it is to what you describe. It sounds a bit like a 'nut roast,' the classic British vegetarian main dish. I imagine you could shape it into burgers instead of forming it into the traditional loaf. You can find countless recipes; this one from BBC sounds especially good.
  • Post #96 - November 11th, 2020, 3:15 pm
    Post #96 - November 11th, 2020, 3:15 pm Post #96 - November 11th, 2020, 3:15 pm
    The late M Henrietta (former companion restaurant to M Henry) made a vegan meatloaf that was legitimately one of the best meat substitutes I've ever had. It was a blend of nuts, brown rice, nutritional yeast and some other ingredients. Truly delicious. Just did a quick google and found it (almost 10 years old):

https://abc7chicago.com/archive/8354012/
  • Post #97 - November 12th, 2020, 6:09 pm
    Post #97 - November 12th, 2020, 6:09 pm Post #97 - November 12th, 2020, 6:09 pm
    Hi,

A few weeks ago, a friend dropped off the Farmland version of plant based kinda sorta like meat. Her husband had been sent to the store to buy ground beef and came back with plant based look alike. They were not interested in trying it, so they wisely dropped it off at my house.

A few people have inquired privately why people send their unwanted food to me. Exactly when this trend started, I cannot really recall. I guess in my circle of non-food-centric friends (yes, I have friends who don't really think too hard about their next meal), I am known to like a challenge. Plus they don't want to throw it away and know I don't mind being the place the can lands after being kicked again.

I recall from eating prior examples of plant-based 'meats,' I am fine until I identify some underlying non-meat-associated tastes like cooked peas. I have found drowning the plant-based meat substitute in a strong flavored sauce works well for me.

Today, I made a taco salad with the major components of cooked ground plant-based 'meat,' chopped onions, tomatoes, slivered cabbage (a substitute for lettuce) and cheese are cloaked in Catalina dressing.

'Browning' the plant-based 'meat' was a study in futility. It never browned, it remained red while crumbling smaller and smaller. A small taste of this cooked 'meat' had enough salt and seasoning without any additions from my side. Unlike some plant-based 'meats,' there was no oozing of oils when cooking. Nor does the volume shrink by 10-20% like ground beef. A one-to-one substitute of the Farmland product to ground beef nets a greater volume of plant-based 'meat' to the ground beef it substitutes.

The family liked the overall taste of their meal, which I squarely give a nod to the homemade Catalina dressing. It would offer great flavor to cardboard.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #98 - November 16th, 2020, 12:18 pm
    Post #98 - November 16th, 2020, 12:18 pm Post #98 - November 16th, 2020, 12:18 pm
    Rene G wrote:It sounds a bit like a 'nut roast,' the classic British vegetarian main dish. I imagine you could shape it into burgers instead of forming it into the traditional loaf. You can find countless recipes; this one from BBC sounds especially good.

Nut roasts (with ten recipes) are in the news today!

In The Guardian, Stuart Heritage wrote:If you don’t eat meat, then Christmas (or Thanksgiving, or even just a Sunday lunch) can be upsettingly hit and miss. The closest thing to a traditional meal you will encounter is an old-fashioned nut roast, and God knows what a minefield those can be. Pick a bad recipe and you’ll end up with something inedibly dry, or unattractively crumbly, or just plain dense and tasteless.
  • Post #99 - November 16th, 2020, 12:59 pm
    Post #99 - November 16th, 2020, 12:59 pm Post #99 - November 16th, 2020, 12:59 pm
    Rene G wrote:
    Rene G wrote:It sounds a bit like a 'nut roast,' the classic British vegetarian main dish. I imagine you could shape it into burgers instead of forming it into the traditional loaf. You can find countless recipes; this one from BBC sounds especially good.

Nut roasts (with ten recipes) are in the news today!

In The Guardian, Stuart Heritage wrote:If you don’t eat meat, then Christmas (or Thanksgiving, or even just a Sunday lunch) can be upsettingly hit and miss. The closest thing to a traditional meal you will encounter is an old-fashioned nut roast, and God knows what a minefield those can be. Pick a bad recipe and you’ll end up with something inedibly dry, or unattractively crumbly, or just plain dense and tasteless.

I had the pleasure of a delicious meal years ago prepared by petite gourmande. She made incredible vegetable wellingtons. It wasn't close to hit or miss for that holiday meal.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #100 - February 2nd, 2021, 11:11 am
    Post #100 - February 2nd, 2021, 11:11 am Post #100 - February 2nd, 2021, 11:11 am
    Hi,

I was talking to a friend whose diet is Kosher-style, though does not buy Kosher meat. She will not mix dairy with meat.

Via products like the Impossible Burger, she now enjoys a cheeseburger without breaking from Kosher-style.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #101 - May 3rd, 2021, 2:16 pm
    Post #101 - May 3rd, 2021, 2:16 pm Post #101 - May 3rd, 2021, 2:16 pm
    Tyson Foods, Beyond Meat face off with new plant-based burgers

https://www.reuters.com/business/retail ... 021-05-03/
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #102 - May 23rd, 2021, 6:54 pm
    Post #102 - May 23rd, 2021, 6:54 pm Post #102 - May 23rd, 2021, 6:54 pm
    Bought some Impossible from Jewel.
    I'm not impressed.
    Raw, it doesn't hold together like ground beef, more like wet bulgur, and a bit of a roast chicken scent.
    Even oiled, it stuck to the grill pretty badly, and cooked a lot faster than the beef on the other side of the grill.
    Taste? Closer to falafel than beef.
    Better than other veggie burgers, sure, but not really meaty.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #103 - May 24th, 2021, 7:24 am
    Post #103 - May 24th, 2021, 7:24 am Post #103 - May 24th, 2021, 7:24 am
    JoelF wrote:Bought some Impossible from Jewel.
    I'm not impressed.

I haven't yet bought Impossible retail - my Jewel is always sold out when it's BOGO, but I've bought plenty of the Beyond bulk pkgs and made burgers. It's a little "wet" compared to ground beef, but they hold their shape just fine, and no bad sticking issues.

We've also tried Beyond Brats - not bad at all.
    Can't say the same for Beyond Breakfast Snausage - really weird tasting, imo.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #104 - May 24th, 2021, 9:42 am
    Post #104 - May 24th, 2021, 9:42 am Post #104 - May 24th, 2021, 9:42 am
    We received a shipment from One Potato, a vegan meal delivery service, and made the vegan burgers, tacos and pizza, all with Impossible Burger. Each of these recipes, particularly the burgers and tacos, had a great many condiments to add; for instance, the burger came with vegan mayo, ketchup, pickles, lettuce, tomato, onion marmalade, "cheese," and special sauce. And that, I think, is a clue to making foods with Impossible Burger "meat" -- you have to add a lot of flavor to it because it doesn't, inherently, bring a lot...and it doesn't have any of the juicy, fatty goodness of a beef burger. All that said, my doctor and I know that I eat too much beef -- because it's my favorite food -- but I'm trying to correct that, and Impossible Burger is a start in that direction. Is Impossible Burger good? Let's just say it's good enough.
    "Don't you ever underestimate the power of a female." Bootsy Collins
  • Post #105 - May 24th, 2021, 3:11 pm
    Post #105 - May 24th, 2021, 3:11 pm Post #105 - May 24th, 2021, 3:11 pm
    I do have to add that my grandkids (1 and 3) devoured the burgers with no reservations whatsoever -- and no condiments.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #106 - May 24th, 2021, 4:03 pm
    Post #106 - May 24th, 2021, 4:03 pm Post #106 - May 24th, 2021, 4:03 pm
    I have tried both the beyond and impossible patties recently, "griddled" on a skillet.
    The beyond did not crisp up, expelled a lot of liquid and really stunk up the house in some bizarre unnatural smell, which somehow also came out when I peed, ala asparagus. The impossible actually crisped up nicely and made an acceptable smash burger. Neither had any meat flavor, or really much flavor at all despite the beyond's odor. I was a bit impressed by the consistency of both, in a medium/medium well, fast food sort of way. the beyond burger will not again enter my house, though I suspect I got a bad batch. Their Italian sausage is serviceable, though. I probably will do the impossible ones again at some point, serving with blue cheese and various other things to overcome the lack of flavor.

-Will
  • Post #107 - June 22nd, 2021, 11:46 am
    Post #107 - June 22nd, 2021, 11:46 am Post #107 - June 22nd, 2021, 11:46 am
    A short while back, I opted to take one for LTHF and try Burger King's version of 'the Impossible Burger'.
    The BK I usually order from (@ 3127 N. Milwaukee Ave.) was still closed for dine-in, so I wound up at the store within staggering distance from Kuma's Corner, the DMen Tap, and LTHF GNR Carniceria Guanajuato #3 - @ 2828 W. Belmont Ave. Please forgive my blasphemy. :oops:
    I utilized BK's BOGO for $1 deal. I subtracted tomato and mayonnaise just as I do for the Whopper.
    Image Image Image
    I thought this tasted about the same as the Whopper. :shock:
    If I was fiendish, I might serve this to somebody to see if they could tell it was not meat. :wink:
    Last edited by pudgym29 on July 23rd, 2021, 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Valuable links for survival, without the monetization attempt: https://pqrs-ltd.xyz/bookmark4.html
  • Post #108 - July 9th, 2021, 6:39 am
    Post #108 - July 9th, 2021, 6:39 am Post #108 - July 9th, 2021, 6:39 am
    Beyond Meat Introduces Chicken Tenders to a Crowded U.S. Market

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... u-s-market
  • Post #109 - August 1st, 2022, 6:26 am
    Post #109 - August 1st, 2022, 6:26 am Post #109 - August 1st, 2022, 6:26 am
    scottsol wrote:McPlant sounds like a Beatles/Zeppelin tribute band.

McDonald's Menu Buries McPlant After It McFails

https://www.thestreet.com/investing/mcp ... meat-stock
  • Post #110 - August 1st, 2022, 8:33 pm
    Post #110 - August 1st, 2022, 8:33 pm Post #110 - August 1st, 2022, 8:33 pm
    The McVeggie, an unabashedly vegetable patty, sounds more interesting than the fake-meat McPlant. Cooked at a vegetarian McDonalds as in India, it's actually vegetarian. Cooked on a grill along with burgers, not so much.
    I wouldn't do either because of the allium factor, yet another knock on Impossible Burger and the like. A Jain McVeggie without onions and potatoes sounds good.
  • Post #111 - September 20th, 2022, 10:41 am
    Post #111 - September 20th, 2022, 10:41 am Post #111 - September 20th, 2022, 10:41 am
    Beyond Meat Exec Accused of Biting Man's Nose

foodmanufacturing.com wrote:A top executive at plant-based food company Beyond Meat has been charged with felony battery after a fight outside a college football game in which he was accused of biting a man’s nose.

Doug Ramsey was also charged with making a terroristic threat after the attack Saturday in a parking garage outside a University of Arkansas football game in Fayetteville.

According to a police report, Ramsey was angered when another driver inched in front of him in a traffic lane and made contact with the front passenger wheel on Ramsey’s Ford Bronco SUV.

The police report alleges that Ramsey got out of his vehicle and punched through the back windshield of the other driver’s car. The driver told police that he got out of his car and Ramsey pulled him close and began punching him. Ramsey also bit the tip of the other driver’s nose, ripping the flesh, according to the police report.

The driver and witnesses told police that Ramsey threatened to kill the other man. Occupants of both vehicles got out and separated the two men.

Ramsey, 53, spent more than 30 years at Springdale, Arkansas-based Tyson Foods before joining Beyond Meat as chief operating officer late last year. He held top leadership positions at Tyson, including president of its poultry division and president of its global McDonald’s business.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #112 - September 20th, 2022, 11:33 am
    Post #112 - September 20th, 2022, 11:33 am Post #112 - September 20th, 2022, 11:33 am
    There's finna be a lot of vegetarian / carnivore jokes on the late show circuit.
  • Post #113 - September 20th, 2022, 11:41 am
    Post #113 - September 20th, 2022, 11:41 am Post #113 - September 20th, 2022, 11:41 am
    seebee wrote:There's finna be a lot of vegetarian / carnivore jokes on the late show circuit.

I agree. So many punchlines, so little time. :lol:

=R=
  • Post #114 - September 20th, 2022, 2:32 pm
    Post #114 - September 20th, 2022, 2:32 pm Post #114 - September 20th, 2022, 2:32 pm
    seebee wrote:finna

Ummm… okay.
  • Post #115 - October 29th, 2022, 11:25 am
    Post #115 - October 29th, 2022, 11:25 am Post #115 - October 29th, 2022, 11:25 am
    While running through Walmart a couple of days ago I came across a number of prepared Impossible bowls. What I can recall were Chicken Teriyaki, Pasta Bolognese, Chicken Enchilada and several others. Tried the bolognese for a quick lunch and it was decent. Vegetarian wife is looking forward to taking them to work for when she's too busy to run out. They also had Beyond Meat Steak Tips. I was skeptical but bought a package. The cooking instructions say to "sear" in a little oil for 5 minutes from frozen. Crisped up potatoes and onions in the skillet then seared the steak while simultaneously starting my poached eggs. Made a hash with the steak/potatoes and served eggs on top.

It did not suck. My wife really enjoyed it (as did I). Texture was nice, flavor was not too strong and certainly didn't have any "off" flavors. Will definitely do this again or maybe in a stew or pot pie.
  • Post #116 - August 7th, 2023, 5:07 pm
    Post #116 - August 7th, 2023, 5:07 pm Post #116 - August 7th, 2023, 5:07 pm
    New York CNN —
    Troubled plant-based meat company Beyond Meat (BYND) posted a 30% revenue decline in the second quarter due to falling demand for its products, the company announced Monday.

This quarter’s revenue was $102.1 million compared to $147 million this time a year ago.

US revenue plunged almost 40% while international revenue dropped 8.7%. Beyond Meat also announced a 24% decrease in volume of its products sold.
  • Post #117 - August 7th, 2023, 5:30 pm
    Post #117 - August 7th, 2023, 5:30 pm Post #117 - August 7th, 2023, 5:30 pm
    One of my sisters saw a documentary on CNBC where they described how they made the Impossible burgers, and she won't eat them after seeing this. They are also loaded with fat, and so they are not healthy for you. I had it once at Pita Inn, and it was good, but it is not healthy like people assume it is.
  • Post #118 - August 8th, 2023, 10:01 am
    Post #118 - August 8th, 2023, 10:01 am Post #118 - August 8th, 2023, 10:01 am
    NFriday wrote:They are also loaded with fat, and so they are not healthy for you. I had it once at Pita Inn, and it was good, but it is not healthy like people assume it is.

It's nutritionally similar to beef, neither more nor less healthy. It was never marketed as more healthy, only as providing an alternative to beef.
  • Post #119 - August 8th, 2023, 10:14 am
    Post #119 - August 8th, 2023, 10:14 am Post #119 - August 8th, 2023, 10:14 am
    Yes, of course there are some truly nutritionally devoid foods out there but in most cases, I've really come to loathe and dismiss the 'healthy/unhealthy' claims. It presumes that the same things are equally and universally beneficial or harmful to all of us. They're not. There is no one best way to eat, or feed ourselves. It's very much all relative. What is healthy (or healthful)? The answer for one person is almost certainly not the answer for everyone else.

=R=
  • Post #120 - August 8th, 2023, 11:04 am
    Post #120 - August 8th, 2023, 11:04 am Post #120 - August 8th, 2023, 11:04 am
    spinynorman99 wrote:
    NFriday wrote:They are also loaded with fat, and so they are not healthy for you. I had it once at Pita Inn, and it was good, but it is not healthy like people assume it is.

It's nutritionally similar to beef, neither more nor less healthy. It was never marketed as more healthy, only as providing an alternative to beef.

Interestingly, I've had to stop eating red meat because of GI issues, the digestion of it. And I thought that Impossible kefta kebab at Pita Inn would be the 'healthy' perfect alternative. Wrong! Tasted great, but same GI issues. And now I know why.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more