LTH Home

The Impossible Burger

The Impossible Burger
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 5
  • Post #61 - August 8th, 2019, 8:13 am
    Post #61 - August 8th, 2019, 8:13 am Post #61 - August 8th, 2019, 8:13 am
    While the [Impossible] burger itself contains no meat, Burger King acknowledges that the Impossible patties are flame-grilled on the same broiler as its chicken and beef products. This means the meatless burger will likely come into contact with bits of meat and poultry as it cooks.

Why Burger King's new Impossible Whopper isn't totally vegetarian

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #62 - August 8th, 2019, 3:25 pm
    Post #62 - August 8th, 2019, 3:25 pm Post #62 - August 8th, 2019, 3:25 pm
    Ronnie_Suburban quoted an article on today.com which said

While the burger itself contains no meat, Burger King acknowledges that the Impossible patties are flame-grilled on the same broiler as its chicken and beef products. This means the meatless burger will likely come into contact with bits of meat and poultry as it cooks.

My reaction is Great! If it enhances the flavor a tad that's fine by me.

For purist vegans / vegetarians this won't do, but the Impossible Burger's market looks to be meat eaters who want to cut back on consuming animals for health and/or environmental reasons. In that case a tiny bit of chicken or beef is no problem.
    Where there’s smoke, there may be salmon.
  • Post #63 - August 8th, 2019, 3:34 pm
    Post #63 - August 8th, 2019, 3:34 pm Post #63 - August 8th, 2019, 3:34 pm
    George R wrote:My reaction is Great! If it enhances the flavor a tad that's fine by me.

LOL, I agree. My first thought when I read this was 'Excellent - this is what's known in many quarters as seasoning.' :D

=R=
  • Post #64 - August 8th, 2019, 3:41 pm
    Post #64 - August 8th, 2019, 3:41 pm Post #64 - August 8th, 2019, 3:41 pm
    That's great! Charred meat bits as seasoning. :D
    Where there’s smoke, there may be salmon.
  • Post #65 - August 11th, 2019, 11:43 am
    Post #65 - August 11th, 2019, 11:43 am Post #65 - August 11th, 2019, 11:43 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    George R wrote:My reaction is Great! If it enhances the flavor a tad that's fine by me.

LOL, I agree. My first thought when I read this was 'Excellent - this is what's known in many quarters as seasoning.' :D

=R=

I thought BK was known for microwaving its meat.

Plus I figure anyone who doesn't want to eat from same grill is someone who doesn’t eat outside of their home unless it is a vegetarian/vegan only menu.

What am I missing here?
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #66 - August 11th, 2019, 11:52 am
    Post #66 - August 11th, 2019, 11:52 am Post #66 - August 11th, 2019, 11:52 am
    pairs4life wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:

=R=

I thought BK was known for microwaving its meat.

Plus I figure anyone who doesn't want to eat from same grill is someone who doesn’t eat outside of their home unless it is a vegetarian/vegan only menu.

What am I missing here?

Don't they have that flame-broiling conveyor belt method? Is that only part of their cooking process? I don't know.

I tried the conventional and the impossible whoppers side by side. Honestly, neither tasted very good and I probably would have had trouble identifying which was which in a blind test. I think that speaks more to the low quality of the conventional offerings than it does to the high quality of the Impossible version.

=R=
  • Post #67 - August 11th, 2019, 1:26 pm
    Post #67 - August 11th, 2019, 1:26 pm Post #67 - August 11th, 2019, 1:26 pm
    pairs4life wrote:

I thought BK was known for microwaving its burgers.

Burger King’s patties really are flame broiled, well ahead of serving. They are then held in a hot box and microwaved to bring up to serving temp and melt cheese just before serving.
    Naturally, the holding and microwaving destroys any of the good qualities that might have been imbued by the flame broiling.
  • Post #68 - August 11th, 2019, 5:48 pm
    Post #68 - August 11th, 2019, 5:48 pm Post #68 - August 11th, 2019, 5:48 pm
    scottsol wrote:Naturally, the holding and microwaving destroys any of the good qualities that might have been imbued by the flame broiling.
    Just curious, from a scientific perspective: other than perhaps the crispness of the browned parts of the surface, what good qualities specifically are destroyed by holding and microwaving?
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #69 - August 12th, 2019, 8:29 am
    Post #69 - August 12th, 2019, 8:29 am Post #69 - August 12th, 2019, 8:29 am
    Two comments, first comment: Has anybody eaten the original impossible burger as well as the current one, and can you tell the difference? In order to ramp up production, they announced they would make them from soy instead of something else, maybe chickpeas (I don't recall).

Katie wrote:
    scottsol wrote:Naturally, the holding and microwaving destroys any of the good qualities that might have been imbued by the flame broiling.
    Just curious, from a scientific perspective: other than perhaps the crispness of the browned parts of the surface, what good qualities specifically are destroyed by holding and microwaving?

Following is all IMHO, your mileage may differ. I eat about 2 fast food burgers per year so my experience is limited, and things may have changed since my last visit.

Second Comment: Agreed, destroys SOME of the good qualities, or flavor. Still has char flavor and some fat has dripped off (compared to frying), which I consider two primary "qualities" of the nutrition and flavor. I do concur that microwaving negatively affects flavor. For instance, when fresh, there is a thin coating of fat on the outside of the patty, but when cold and microwaved, that has been reabsorbed into the meat, with an adverse affect. Get your microwaved Whopper without cheese and only lettuce/tomato and it will taste dry and tough. I think McD also microwaves, but since those burgers had more fat to begin with, when microwaved, still have some on the surface, so perhaps McD's suffer less flavor loss being microwaved.

Third comment: How many remember ONE line per Burger King, you placed your order, then waited for the next patty to come off the broiler, and it was assembled for you? That was their "have it your way" campaign, though you actually could (maybe in response to BK) order a McD with select toppings too.
    --Carey aka underdog
  • Post #70 - August 12th, 2019, 11:44 am
    Post #70 - August 12th, 2019, 11:44 am Post #70 - August 12th, 2019, 11:44 am
    My doctor is a vegan and he thinks its important for people to cut down on meat consumption for health reasons, especially red meat. He also stated that processed meats are a group one Carcinogen. I did not believe it until I looked it up. (see WHO website for more info if you are interested). I don't know if the vegetable based burgers are healthier but I certainly try to incorporate more non meat items in my diet. These will never replace a good burger. I will try impossible burger when I can. I like the Boca spicy chikn patty. If you put it on a bun with lettuce and tomatoe, some mayo, etc. Its a tasty lunch.
    Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #71 - August 12th, 2019, 3:48 pm
    Post #71 - August 12th, 2019, 3:48 pm Post #71 - August 12th, 2019, 3:48 pm
    toria wrote:My doctor is a vegan and he thinks its important for people to cut down on meat consumption for health reasons, especially red meat. He also stated that processed meats are a group one Carcinogen. I did not believe it until I looked it up. (see WHO website for more info if you are interested). I don't know if the vegetable based burgers are healthier but I certainly try to incorporate more non meat items in my diet. These will never replace a good burger. I will try impossible burger when I can. I like the Boca spicy chikn patty. If you put it on a bun with lettuce and tomatoe, some mayo, etc. Its a tasty lunch.

Here's something for your consideration. https://www.ecowatch.com/gmo-impossible ... belltitem1

CSD
    Mark A Reitman, PhD
    Professor of Hot Dogs
    Hot Dog University/Vienna Beef
  • Post #72 - August 16th, 2019, 3:23 pm
    Post #72 - August 16th, 2019, 3:23 pm Post #72 - August 16th, 2019, 3:23 pm
    Suggestible soul that I am, heard an ad for the Impossible Whopper on the commute home last night and stopped at BK to pick one up. All told, pretty okay. I've had it elsewhere and it's very technique-sensitive. It has a greater tendency to dry out from prolonged heating and it felt like it was held on the heat for about a minute too long. The White Castle slider version is moister (as are their sliders due to the steaming) and more meat-ish. Still, I wasn't about to throw it back in anyone's face. The wife is completely off meat as is one of the kids. It's a growing trend (one that I certainly understand due to the general wastefulness of resources in raising meat, although I'm not yet ready to join) so I get the buy-in on BK's part.
  • Post #73 - January 13th, 2020, 9:53 am
    Post #73 - January 13th, 2020, 9:53 am Post #73 - January 13th, 2020, 9:53 am
    HI,

I treated the family to a lunch featuring Beyond Meat, Beyond Sausage, Brat.

A friend who had already cooked these had suggested breaking them up to have more surface area to crisp. If it fit, to mix them in with something else.

The smooth surface of the brat suggested visually there was a casing, but there was not they had a thick collagen casing. I cut each brat into four sections. Added a little bit of oil to the pan, then began to sear them. The addition of oil was unnecessary, because considerable amount of oil came from the brats. So much, I ended up pouring the oil out before adding the sweet and sour red cabbage.

I interrupted the usual lunch chatter to find out how they liked the brats. Nobody complained and nobody seemed especially surprised when I told them no cow or pig was in their meal. It tasted enough like what they expected of a brat, it was ok.

I was listening to Orion Samuelson on Saturday morning talking about these plant-based products. His wife had inquired with the meat department manager why the plant-based products were not placed in the produce department. He encouraged farmers to ask the same at their stores. Orion Samuelson felt these products were mislabeled by suggesting meat-like or for dairy milk-like terms for plant-based products.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #74 - January 13th, 2020, 10:41 am
    Post #74 - January 13th, 2020, 10:41 am Post #74 - January 13th, 2020, 10:41 am
    Cathy2 wrote:I was listening to Orion Samuelson on Saturday morning talking about these plant-based products. His wife had inquired with the meat department manager why the plant-based products were not placed in the produce department. He encouraged farmers to ask the same at their stores. Orion Samuelson felt these products were mislabeled by suggesting meat-like or for dairy milk-like terms for plant-based products.

It's meant to serve as an alternative to burgers/sausage. I doubt that it will cause actual confusion with consumers because it's very clearly labeled and (for now) it's a much more expensive product than meat.

More confusing that there's no consensus as to where it's located. Some stores keep certain veg-based products in produce, others place them in or adjacent to the meat section while places like Whole Foods place all meat/cheese alternatives in their own little section. So it's more likely the opposite is happening in that consumers have a harder time finding these products.
  • Post #75 - January 13th, 2020, 10:49 am
    Post #75 - January 13th, 2020, 10:49 am Post #75 - January 13th, 2020, 10:49 am
    Oh, and Giordano's is jumping on the bandwagon:

https://giordanos.com/impossible-pizza/
  • Post #76 - January 13th, 2020, 11:47 am
    Post #76 - January 13th, 2020, 11:47 am Post #76 - January 13th, 2020, 11:47 am
    spinynorman99 wrote:
    Cathy2 wrote:I was listening to Orion Samuelson on Saturday morning talking about these plant-based products. His wife had inquired with the meat department manager why the plant-based products were not placed in the produce department. He encouraged farmers to ask the same at their stores. Orion Samuelson felt these products were mislabeled by suggesting meat-like or for dairy milk-like terms for plant-based products.

It's meant to serve as an alternative to burgers/sausage. I doubt that it will cause actual confusion with consumers because it's very clearly labeled and (for now) it's a much more expensive product than meat.

More confusing that there's no consensus as to where it's located. Some stores keep certain veg-based products in produce, others place them in or adjacent to the meat section while places like Whole Foods place all meat/cheese alternatives in their own little section. So it's more likely the opposite is happening in that consumers have a harder time finding these products.

I doubt the concern is confusion. It's more likely that meat processors don't want customers reminded at all about non-meat alternatives, most especially when they're perusing the meat aisle(s) of the store.

=R=
  • Post #77 - January 13th, 2020, 12:50 pm
    Post #77 - January 13th, 2020, 12:50 pm Post #77 - January 13th, 2020, 12:50 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    spinynorman99 wrote:

I doubt the concern is confusion. It's more likely that meat processors don't want customers reminded at all about non-meat alternatives, most especially when they're perusing the meat aisle(s) of the store.

=R=

Bingo, hence all of the complaining from the meat and dairy groups. No one is mistaking plant based products for the meat or dairy versions. If so, what's the harm? No one will be injured or die :D .

IMO, it certainly makes more sense to stock them in the sections with the meat, dairy, or whatever the substitute is for.
  • Post #78 - January 15th, 2020, 4:23 pm
    Post #78 - January 15th, 2020, 4:23 pm Post #78 - January 15th, 2020, 4:23 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:I doubt the concern is confusion. It's more likely that meat processors don't want customers reminded at all about non-meat alternatives, most especially when they're perusing the meat aisle(s) of the store.

=R=

You Call That Meat? Not So Fast, Cattle Ranchers Say
  • Post #79 - January 15th, 2020, 6:52 pm
    Post #79 - January 15th, 2020, 6:52 pm Post #79 - January 15th, 2020, 6:52 pm
    spinynorman99 wrote:Oh, and Giordano's is jumping on the bandwagon:

https://giordanos.com/impossible-pizza/

I'm getting one of these as soon as (im)possible - tee hee.
    Kidding aside - I'm gonna get one asap for realz.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #80 - January 16th, 2020, 11:12 am
    Post #80 - January 16th, 2020, 11:12 am Post #80 - January 16th, 2020, 11:12 am
    I tried the Impossible Burger and the Beyond Beef in various guises. I had it at Umami, Epic Burger, BK and Gigios in Evanston. I also bought some Beyond Beef crumbles to cook at home. To echo another poster; this seems to be technique dependent. The BK version was the worst of the lot. The patty was too dry. The Umami Burger version was the best one I tried. But that could simply be because it is so well constructed, with all the additional toppings and good quality cheese. It was also very expensive (16 bucks, although it had two patties). Gigios was also OK. Epic Burger uses Beyond Beef and I could not tell the difference between this and the Gigio Impossible Burger version. The crumbles I used to make my version of Philly 'cheesesteak' was okay, but I will not be making it again.

BTAIM; I will not be either buying them for myself or go looking for one. I have never had beef in my life. So when these were advertised as being the closest in both taste and texture to ground beef; I was intrigued. I have never liked the taste and texture of all the previous iterations; like Boca, Morningstar etc. I found them to be essentially tasteless. The only 'burger' I like is the Vegetable Masala Burger from Trader Joe. But this is cheating as it is essentially a samosa filling made into a patty! :-)

I did not like these new versions. That may simply be because I thought the texture was too 'rubbery' and the taste too mineral for me. If that is what ground beef tastes like; then all I can say is I don't like it. That could simply be because I have never eaten meat and the texture is something that is alien to my tastebuds.

Then I read an interview with the founders; where they basically said that this was not made for people who were already vegetarians/vegan; but for people who are omnivores who want to move towards a more plant based diet. That makes sense. So if they are succeeding in tempting omnivores to substitute this for their ground beef use; all the power to them.
  • Post #81 - January 16th, 2020, 11:40 am
    Post #81 - January 16th, 2020, 11:40 am Post #81 - January 16th, 2020, 11:40 am
    My wife, one of my kids and a niece have all adopted vegetarian diets over the past 5 or so years. They appreciate these options as providing a broader flavor palate to cook with and giving them an opportunity to try adapting them to meat-based recipes they enjoyed in the past. Not every product is intended for every consumer.
  • Post #82 - January 23rd, 2020, 1:47 pm
    Post #82 - January 23rd, 2020, 1:47 pm Post #82 - January 23rd, 2020, 1:47 pm
    Hi,

I made a one-pot meal from Lightlife plant-based ground, a pea-protein product.

Based on my experience with Beyond Meat, Beyond Sausage, Brat, I expected lots of oil to ooze out. I put the ground in a pot, broke it up and expected it to produce its own oil. It did not. I added oil and scraped the bottom hard to loosen what began to stick.

I tasted the ground, then began doing everything to hide its just-not-ground-meat flavor. Tomatoes, V-8 juice, onions, garlic and lots of herbs were used to fool the palate.

I again waited until dinner was just about finished to advise the key ingredient was not meat, but plant-based ground.

They liked it. I bet it would have been quite a different outcome if I did not bury it in strong flavors.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #83 - January 23rd, 2020, 6:48 pm
    Post #83 - January 23rd, 2020, 6:48 pm Post #83 - January 23rd, 2020, 6:48 pm
    Had an Impossible Whopper at Mcarran a few days ago. Every other food place was crowded except BK and Quiznos in Terminal 3. I'm guessing all of the food vendors are happy there's no In-N-Out on site. With narrowed options, we figured it was the right time to try an airport Impossible Burger. Extreme times call for...

Verdict?
    I'd get one again without hesitation.
    Only the second bite was a mushy texture for whatever reason. Every other bite was just fine. Minimal difference between the BK Impossible Patty, and their regular patty (which we all know is Kobe, right?) Seriously, Jr and I agreed, we'd happily get them again. Side note - Jr pushed a lil harder for BK, somehow, he's circled the sun 11 times, and never had Burger King. (What happens in Vegas...)

Also, the fries, you ask?
    Outstanding. Piping hot and fresh, but...
    When did their Onion Rings turn into paste on the inside? Like, PASTE. Flour, water, and onion powder paste. Gross. Used to love them shits!
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #84 - January 23rd, 2020, 6:49 pm
    Post #84 - January 23rd, 2020, 6:49 pm Post #84 - January 23rd, 2020, 6:49 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:Hi,

I made a one-pot meal from Lightlife plant-based ground, a pea-protein product.

I've never tried that Lightlife product.
    How would you rate it vs the other brands you've tried?
  • Post #85 - January 23rd, 2020, 10:16 pm
    Post #85 - January 23rd, 2020, 10:16 pm Post #85 - January 23rd, 2020, 10:16 pm
    Hi,

There are only two I have cooked, which are listed in this thread. If I ate either of them plain, I find the texture of either off putting.

The Lightlife's ground taste was not very good, it reminded me of dog food. I felt a need to add strong flavors to overtake its native flavor. It certainly would not remind me of beef.

I had a more favorable impression of the Beyond Meat, Beyond Sausage, Brat. At a friend's suggestion, I cut it up and crisped every edge. Perhaps the casing offered more body than it might have had on its own. I would more likely buy this again, though not so much the Lightlife.

The original offering at White Castle of the Impossible Slider made a very favorable impression. Especially since it looked like a hand formed burger. As long as I did not think about its base in peas, I was ok.

Over time White Castle reformulated their Impossible Burger to look like a machine molded hockey puck. It was a regression visually, though perhaps easier for their line cooks to handle? It lost its sparkle for me.

I have evolved a dislike for Burger King. I don't like what happened to the onion rings. They changed their greasy taco to something baked or at least a lot less greasy. I might have only ordered a few a year, but it harkened back to Jack-in-the-Box tacos of my youth. Whoppers are ok, but nothing causing any yearning. A plant-based Whopper may be a curiosity, though largely my curiosity on planted-based stuff is quenched for now.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #86 - January 24th, 2020, 9:39 am
    Post #86 - January 24th, 2020, 9:39 am Post #86 - January 24th, 2020, 9:39 am
    Cathy2 wrote:There are only two I have cooked, which are listed in this thread. If I ate either of them plain, I find the texture of either off putting.

The Lightlife's ground taste was not very good, it reminded me of dog food. I felt a need to add strong flavors to overtake its native flavor. It certainly would not remind me of beef.

I had a more favorable impression of the Beyond Meat, Beyond Sausage, Brat. At a friend's suggestion, I cut it up and crisped every edge. Perhaps the casing offered more body than it might have had on its own. I would more likely buy this again, though not so much the Lightlife.

We don't use plant based crumbles very often, but occasionally in a dish as a compliment, in a smaller proportion than I might have used meat. A 12 oz portion in huge stock pot of soup or in a 2 or 3 pound pasta dish that may have 5 or 6 times the amount of vegetables. It's always a conscious decision to add to a dish, as opposed to when we ate meat regularly.

No one has felt they have a weird texture of taste. I may use crumbles once a month, or two. I buy Tofurkey brand and have also bought the Trader Joe's brand in a pinch.
  • Post #87 - January 24th, 2020, 11:39 am
    Post #87 - January 24th, 2020, 11:39 am Post #87 - January 24th, 2020, 11:39 am
    Soyrizo is still a favorite for a kick of flavor for my non-meat family members. Great with egg dishes, melted cheese or anything you can think of.
  • Post #88 - January 24th, 2020, 6:27 pm
    Post #88 - January 24th, 2020, 6:27 pm Post #88 - January 24th, 2020, 6:27 pm
    spinynorman99 wrote:Soyrizo is still a favorite for a kick of flavor for my non-meat family members. Great with egg dishes, melted cheese or anything you can think of.

Yeah, I'm almost surprised with how nicely that substitutes for pork-based chorizo. I mean, chorizo is kind of a perfect candidate for this, given how relatively heavily spiced it is, but, still, when a vegetarian friend of mine was visiting from Germany, I wanted to whip up a somewhat local breakfast, so I gave the soyrizo a shot. Not bad for ersatz meat sausage. Went great with eggs.
  • Post #89 - November 10th, 2020, 9:16 am
    Post #89 - November 10th, 2020, 9:16 am Post #89 - November 10th, 2020, 9:16 am
    McDonald’s to launch its own plant-based burger, the McPlant, after Beyond Meat test

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/mcdon ... 1604949575
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #90 - November 10th, 2020, 2:15 pm
    Post #90 - November 10th, 2020, 2:15 pm Post #90 - November 10th, 2020, 2:15 pm
    Dave148 wrote:
    McDonald’s to launch its own plant-based burger, the McPlant, after Beyond Meat test

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/mcdon ... 1604949575

Ugh, fire their branding manager.
    McPlant? I'm not McLovin it.
    How about Veg-i-Mac, or McMeatless?
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more