LTH Home

The Impossible Burger

The Impossible Burger
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 3 
  • Post #61 - August 8th, 2019, 8:13 am
    Post #61 - August 8th, 2019, 8:13 am Post #61 - August 8th, 2019, 8:13 am
    While the [Impossible] burger itself contains no meat, Burger King acknowledges that the Impossible patties are flame-grilled on the same broiler as its chicken and beef products. This means the meatless burger will likely come into contact with bits of meat and poultry as it cooks.

Why Burger King's new Impossible Whopper isn't totally vegetarian

=R=
    Gardening is a bloodsport --Meghan Kleeman

Why don't you take these profiteroles and put them up your shi'-ta-holes? --Jemaine & Bret

There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #62 - August 8th, 2019, 3:25 pm
    Post #62 - August 8th, 2019, 3:25 pm Post #62 - August 8th, 2019, 3:25 pm
    Ronnie_Suburban quoted an article on today.com which said

While the burger itself contains no meat, Burger King acknowledges that the Impossible patties are flame-grilled on the same broiler as its chicken and beef products. This means the meatless burger will likely come into contact with bits of meat and poultry as it cooks.

My reaction is Great! If it enhances the flavor a tad that's fine by me.

For purist vegans / vegetarians this won't do, but the Impossible Burger's market looks to be meat eaters who want to cut back on consuming animals for health and/or environmental reasons. In that case a tiny bit of chicken or beef is no problem.
    Where there’s smoke, there may be salmon.
  • Post #63 - August 8th, 2019, 3:34 pm
    Post #63 - August 8th, 2019, 3:34 pm Post #63 - August 8th, 2019, 3:34 pm
    George R wrote:My reaction is Great! If it enhances the flavor a tad that's fine by me.

LOL, I agree. My first thought when I read this was 'Excellent - this is what's known in many quarters as seasoning.' :D

=R=

Why don't you take these profiteroles and put them up your shi'-ta-holes? --Jemaine & Bret

• Post #64 - August 8th, 2019, 3:41 pm
    Post #64 - August 8th, 2019, 3:41 pm Post #64 - August 8th, 2019, 3:41 pm
    That's great! Charred meat bits as seasoning. :D
    Where there’s smoke, there may be salmon.
  • Post #65 - August 11th, 2019, 11:43 am
    Post #65 - August 11th, 2019, 11:43 am Post #65 - August 11th, 2019, 11:43 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    George R wrote:My reaction is Great! If it enhances the flavor a tad that's fine by me.

LOL, I agree. My first thought when I read this was 'Excellent - this is what's known in many quarters as seasoning.' :D

=R=

I thought BK was known for microwaving its meat.

Plus I figure anyone who doesn't want to eat from same grill is someone who doesn’t eat outside of their home unless it is a vegetarian/vegan only menu.

What am I missing here?
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #66 - August 11th, 2019, 11:52 am
    Post #66 - August 11th, 2019, 11:52 am Post #66 - August 11th, 2019, 11:52 am
    pairs4life wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:

=R=

I thought BK was known for microwaving its meat.

Plus I figure anyone who doesn't want to eat from same grill is someone who doesn’t eat outside of their home unless it is a vegetarian/vegan only menu.

What am I missing here?

Don't they have that flame-broiling conveyor belt method? Is that only part of their cooking process? I don't know.

I tried the conventional and the impossible whoppers side by side. Honestly, neither tasted very good and I probably would have had trouble identifying which was which in a blind test. I think that speaks more to the low quality of the conventional offerings than it does to the high quality of the Impossible version.

=R=

• Post #67 - August 11th, 2019, 1:26 pm
    Post #67 - August 11th, 2019, 1:26 pm Post #67 - August 11th, 2019, 1:26 pm
    pairs4life wrote:

I thought BK was known for microwaving its burgers.

Burger King’s patties really are flame broiled, well ahead of serving. They are then held in a hot box and microwaved to bring up to serving temp and melt cheese just before serving.
    Naturally, the holding and microwaving destroys any of the good qualities that might have been imbued by the flame broiling.
  • Post #68 - August 11th, 2019, 5:48 pm
    Post #68 - August 11th, 2019, 5:48 pm Post #68 - August 11th, 2019, 5:48 pm
    scottsol wrote:Naturally, the holding and microwaving destroys any of the good qualities that might have been imbued by the flame broiling.
    Just curious, from a scientific perspective: other than perhaps the crispness of the browned parts of the surface, what good qualities specifically are destroyed by holding and microwaving?
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #69 - August 12th, 2019, 8:29 am
    Post #69 - August 12th, 2019, 8:29 am Post #69 - August 12th, 2019, 8:29 am
    Two comments, first comment: Has anybody eaten the original impossible burger as well as the current one, and can you tell the difference? In order to ramp up production, they announced they would make them from soy instead of something else, maybe chickpeas (I don't recall).

Katie wrote:
    scottsol wrote:Naturally, the holding and microwaving destroys any of the good qualities that might have been imbued by the flame broiling.
    Just curious, from a scientific perspective: other than perhaps the crispness of the browned parts of the surface, what good qualities specifically are destroyed by holding and microwaving?

Following is all IMHO, your mileage may differ. I eat about 2 fast food burgers per year so my experience is limited, and things may have changed since my last visit.

Second Comment: Agreed, destroys SOME of the good qualities, or flavor. Still has char flavor and some fat has dripped off (compared to frying), which I consider two primary "qualities" of the nutrition and flavor. I do concur that microwaving negatively affects flavor. For instance, when fresh, there is a thin coating of fat on the outside of the patty, but when cold and microwaved, that has been reabsorbed into the meat, with an adverse affect. Get your microwaved Whopper without cheese and only lettuce/tomato and it will taste dry and tough. I think McD also microwaves, but since those burgers had more fat to begin with, when microwaved, still have some on the surface, so perhaps McD's suffer less flavor loss being microwaved.

Third comment: How many remember ONE line per Burger King, you placed your order, then waited for the next patty to come off the broiler, and it was assembled for you? That was their "have it your way" campaign, though you actually could (maybe in response to BK) order a McD with select toppings too.
    --Carey aka underdog
  • Post #70 - August 12th, 2019, 11:44 am
    Post #70 - August 12th, 2019, 11:44 am Post #70 - August 12th, 2019, 11:44 am
    My doctor is a vegan and he thinks its important for people to cut down on meat consumption for health reasons, especially red meat. He also stated that processed meats are a group one Carcinogen. I did not believe it until I looked it up. (see WHO website for more info if you are interested). I don't know if the vegetable based burgers are healthier but I certainly try to incorporate more non meat items in my diet. These will never replace a good burger. I will try impossible burger when I can. I like the Boca spicy chikn patty. If you put it on a bun with lettuce and tomatoe, some mayo, etc. Its a tasty lunch.
    Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #71 - August 12th, 2019, 3:48 pm
    Post #71 - August 12th, 2019, 3:48 pm Post #71 - August 12th, 2019, 3:48 pm
    toria wrote:My doctor is a vegan and he thinks its important for people to cut down on meat consumption for health reasons, especially red meat. He also stated that processed meats are a group one Carcinogen. I did not believe it until I looked it up. (see WHO website for more info if you are interested). I don't know if the vegetable based burgers are healthier but I certainly try to incorporate more non meat items in my diet. These will never replace a good burger. I will try impossible burger when I can. I like the Boca spicy chikn patty. If you put it on a bun with lettuce and tomatoe, some mayo, etc. Its a tasty lunch.

Here's something for your consideration. https://www.ecowatch.com/gmo-impossible ... belltitem1

CSD
    Mark A Reitman, PhD
    Professor of Hot Dogs
    Hot Dog University/Vienna Beef
  • Post #72 - August 16th, 2019, 3:23 pm
    Post #72 - August 16th, 2019, 3:23 pm Post #72 - August 16th, 2019, 3:23 pm
    Suggestible soul that I am, heard an ad for the Impossible Whopper on the commute home last night and stopped at BK to pick one up. All told, pretty okay. I've had it elsewhere and it's very technique-sensitive. It has a greater tendency to dry out from prolonged heating and it felt like it was held on the heat for about a minute too long. The White Castle slider version is moister (as are their sliders due to the steaming) and more meat-ish. Still, I wasn't about to throw it back in anyone's face. The wife is completely off meat as is one of the kids. It's a growing trend (one that I certainly understand due to the general wastefulness of resources in raising meat, although I'm not yet ready to join) so I get the buy-in on BK's part.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more