LTH Home

Your favorite bibimbap gochujang sauce recipe (or product?)

Your favorite bibimbap gochujang sauce recipe (or product?)
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Your favorite bibimbap gochujang sauce recipe (or product?)

Post #1 - September 25th, 2017, 10:44 am
    Post #1 - September 25th, 2017, 10:44 am Post #1 - September 25th, 2017, 10:44 am
    When I was a kid, I recall my mom complaining that there was no pre-mixed product available and I'm guessing that's changed by now. Or does anyone have a great recipe for the gochujang sauce (for bibimbap)?
  • Post #2 - September 25th, 2017, 3:44 pm
    Post #2 - September 25th, 2017, 3:44 pm Post #2 - September 25th, 2017, 3:44 pm
    trotsky wrote:When I was a kid, I recall my mom complaining that there was no pre-mixed product available and I'm guessing that's changed by now. Or does anyone have a great recipe for the gochujang sauce (for bibimbap)?

If you go to Joong Boo market, they have an aisle where fully 1/3 of it is different types of Gochujang.
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #3 - September 25th, 2017, 3:53 pm
    Post #3 - September 25th, 2017, 3:53 pm Post #3 - September 25th, 2017, 3:53 pm
    My go to sauce uses Gochujang as a base and adds grated ginger, Korean Soy Sauce for some salt and Seseme Oil.
    We also use a variant that is made from soybeans and anchovies as a base.(Green Container)
    There are levels of heat in gochujang and usually so marked on the container.
    I have found that price is the guide to quality.-Richard
    I have found H Mart to have the best selection.
    Last edited by budrichard on September 26th, 2017, 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #4 - September 25th, 2017, 4:32 pm
    Post #4 - September 25th, 2017, 4:32 pm Post #4 - September 25th, 2017, 4:32 pm
    Cool question as I never really put much thought into it. Was always about thinning it out a bit so it was easier to mix in.

But I usually take a splash of rice vinegar, a little water, sesame seeds, sesame oil and a pinch of msg. Nothing precise, adjust to your tastes
  • Post #5 - September 25th, 2017, 6:27 pm
    Post #5 - September 25th, 2017, 6:27 pm Post #5 - September 25th, 2017, 6:27 pm
    www.seriouseats.com has a lot of recipes with Gochujang ( which I get at H-Mart in Niles). Just search the term on the site. My current favorite is : http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017 ... ecipe.html
  • Post #6 - October 11th, 2017, 12:24 pm
    Post #6 - October 11th, 2017, 12:24 pm Post #6 - October 11th, 2017, 12:24 pm
    WhyBeeSea wrote:Cool question as I never really put much thought into it. Was always about thinning it out a bit so it was easier to mix in.

But I usually take a splash of rice vinegar, a little water, sesame seeds, sesame oil and a pinch of msg. Nothing precise, adjust to your tastes

This is what my mom did and she always felt that her favorite restaurants had better proportions that she couldn't get quite right. She's actually a very good cook who has always made her kimchee, panchan, soups, stews, etc. from scratch. But somehow, she couldn't nail her ideal gochujang mixing sauce. :D Thanks, I'll just experiment until it comes close.
  • Post #7 - April 3rd, 2023, 9:53 am
    Post #7 - April 3rd, 2023, 9:53 am Post #7 - April 3rd, 2023, 9:53 am
    Nice piece at NYT's website about gochujang . . .

at nytimes.com, Eric Kim wrote:The thing is, gochujang — a mix of glutinous rice, fermented soybeans and gochugaru, the glorious red-pepper powder, among other additives — might be good in a pinch when you’re out and about, and in need of spice, but it’s not quite a sauce. Not in the way Sriracha or Tabasco are, anyway. It’s a jang, a foundational ingredient in Korean cooking, meaning you usually need to add other ingredients to it: Soy sauce, vinegar and garlic are common accompaniments, turning it into a sauce, glaze or marinade.

Gochujang Is So Much More Than a Condiment

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #8 - May 24th, 2023, 3:33 pm
    Post #8 - May 24th, 2023, 3:33 pm Post #8 - May 24th, 2023, 3:33 pm
    Susie’s Noon Hour Diner has the best gochujang I’ve ever had. Last time there I wheedled a little sample to take home. She makes it, I think, and it really hits a lot of notes.
    Find good food and eat it.
    Sapatero

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more