LTH Home

Beginner Smoker -- Buying advice?

Beginner Smoker -- Buying advice?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - August 31st, 2020, 7:34 am
    Post #31 - August 31st, 2020, 7:34 am Post #31 - August 31st, 2020, 7:34 am
    I just purchased my first pellet grill, more or less for the same reason you're seeking electric but also because we're down to cooking for 2 most of the time (not a single backyard barbecue this summer). The pellet aspect gives me simplicity as well as smoke when I want it. Here's a youtube peek (that's not me).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXi_7HIQdR0
  • Post #32 - September 1st, 2020, 5:52 am
    Post #32 - September 1st, 2020, 5:52 am Post #32 - September 1st, 2020, 5:52 am
    Is the general thought that propane is better than electric for these entry level, "set it and forget it" models?
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
  • Post #33 - September 1st, 2020, 6:39 am
    Post #33 - September 1st, 2020, 6:39 am Post #33 - September 1st, 2020, 6:39 am
    seebee wrote:Is the general thought that propane is better than electric for these entry level, "set it and forget it" models?

If you're looking for "set it and forget it" I'd probably go with electric since you won't have to worry about your electricity tank running dry mid-smoke.

I switched from an electric smoker (Bradley) to a pellet grill (Camp Chef) last year and would not hesitate to recommend a pellet grill over an electric if at all possible.
    Cookingblahg.blogspot.com
  • Post #34 - September 1st, 2020, 7:38 am
    Post #34 - September 1st, 2020, 7:38 am Post #34 - September 1st, 2020, 7:38 am
    I'll look into the pellet grills, but this new smoker will be for some folks that are not familiar with bbq at all. They like to eat it, but they are only aware of using a gas grill as being bbq, or using a charcoal grill for burgers and brats. I'm pretty sure they will have no interest in tending to a fire and maintaining temp for long periods of time. They honestly read the directions on pasta boxes. Their meat grilling seasoning is Mcormick Garlic Salt and a dash of pepper, same with vegetable seasoning. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, I'm just saying they are set in their ways, mostly set in stone, which is not really a bad thing.

How this thing would mostly be used:
    I'd prep and rub the meat the night before. Then someone else would smoke it the next day while I was at work. When we're at the vacation house, I leave early for work.
    OR
    I'd start the smoking before I left, and then come back at the end of the work day - 9 hours or so.
    Or -
    On weekends, I could do a long brisket / pork butt cook, and leave to go fishing or tubing, or whatever for a few hours on the lake

I'm trying to move away from me being the only person that can produce BBQ, because that limits the fam's ability to have it to the weekends when I am not working, and I can tend to it. I'd also like to come home from work and have someone else's q once in a while, and hopefully it'll spark someone else to start being a bbqer. Everyone really liked the product that the cheap propane smoker put out, and the guy who bought it was pretty enthused using it for the first 5 or 6 times, but then grew super tired of having to re-ignite it so often. I think this is a good chance for me to get other ppl involved in making bbq, but if it's too much work, then I'll just be back to square one of ppl hinting and asking me when I'm going to bust out the weber for some ribs. In that case, I'll just wind up buying a bigger smoker, and still being the only one that will use it, on weekends only. I don't mind it, but there's other ppl that could be doing it 7 days a week if we had an easy way of doing it, even if the results are not optimum. (And I'd get to come home after work to some bbq!)
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
  • Post #35 - September 1st, 2020, 10:05 am
    Post #35 - September 1st, 2020, 10:05 am Post #35 - September 1st, 2020, 10:05 am
    Pellet grill is essentially "set and forget." The full-size can hold about 20lbs of pellets and use around 1lb/hr. I have a portable-size that holds 4lbs, but you can easily refill while it's running and it uses about 0.5lb/hr at "smoke" setting.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more