LTH Home

Whetstones, other tools for sharpening & maintaining knives?

Whetstones, other tools for sharpening & maintaining knives?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 4
  • Post #31 - August 18th, 2019, 7:25 pm
    Post #31 - August 18th, 2019, 7:25 pm Post #31 - August 18th, 2019, 7:25 pm
    Damn! I can't wait for my new misono to have a similar patina
  • Post #32 - November 2nd, 2019, 1:35 pm
    Post #32 - November 2nd, 2019, 1:35 pm Post #32 - November 2nd, 2019, 1:35 pm
    A sharp knife is a happy knife. #lowslowbbq #countmeafan #homecooking

KnifeSharpeningMisono1.jpg Take 2
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #33 - November 3rd, 2019, 2:00 pm
    Post #33 - November 3rd, 2019, 2:00 pm Post #33 - November 3rd, 2019, 2:00 pm
    G Wiv, which knife is that in the picture? I created an account, just so I could ask you that. I've lurked here for years.

Never mind! I found your other post in the Knives thread. I was trying to match by picture, it seems that they all come with a "picture" of a flower on them.
    The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
  • Post #34 - November 14th, 2019, 3:59 am
    Post #34 - November 14th, 2019, 3:59 am Post #34 - November 14th, 2019, 3:59 am
    Xexo wrote:G Wiv, which knife is that in the picture? I created an account, just so I could ask you that. I've lurked here for years.

Never mind! I found your other post in the Knives thread. I was trying to match by picture, it seems that they all come with a "picture" of a flower on them.
    Just saw this post, I realize you said you found the info but thought I'd post here for reference.
    Knife is a Misono Swedish Carbon Steel Gyutou 8", the 8" don't have that stupid dragon etching, larger have the etching. Korin typically has 15% off in July and December on knives.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #35 - November 14th, 2019, 7:10 am
    Post #35 - November 14th, 2019, 7:10 am Post #35 - November 14th, 2019, 7:10 am
    Thanks!
    G Wiv wrote:
    Xexo wrote:G Wiv, which knife is that in the picture? I created an account, just so I could ask you that. I've lurked here for years.

Just saw this post, I realize you said you found the info but thought I'd post here for reference.
    Knife is a Misono Swedish Carbon Steel Gyutou 8", the 8" don't have that stupid dragon etching, larger have the etching. Korin typically has 15% off in July and December on knives.
    The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
  • Post #36 - November 14th, 2019, 7:35 am
    Post #36 - November 14th, 2019, 7:35 am Post #36 - November 14th, 2019, 7:35 am
    Gary, do sharpening steels vary all that much? I have one that came w a crappy set many years ago and it seems to be doing fine. But I also don't have anything to compare against.

I didn't even think about it and used one of those handheld twin sharpeners on the misono and it dulled it out a bit. Guessing that's not a proper tool for a blade that's only sharpened on one side. You live and you learn....
  • Post #37 - November 14th, 2019, 8:53 am
    Post #37 - November 14th, 2019, 8:53 am Post #37 - November 14th, 2019, 8:53 am
    WhyBeeSea wrote:Guessing that's not a proper tool for a blade that's only sharpened on one side. You live and you learn....

Above Misono is not chisel ground (one side only) its 70/30, either way a V-shape sharpener will wreak havoc with the grind. Actually, most of the V-shape "sharpeners" will f-up a quality knife pretty quick. Also, the steels that come with knife sets are generally honing steels, not meant to sharpen but to realine. There are billions of knife sharpening/honing tutorials available, both text and youtube some linked in this thread.

Steels do vary quite a bit, as I mention most are honing, some actually sharpen (diamond). I'd suggest a quality honing steel, like F. Dick, and a set of wet stones for maintenance. Along with the occasional visit to Northwestern Cutlery.

I had my (pictured) Misono reground by Northwestern Cutlery to an even bevel, about 36% all inclusive, 18(ish) degrees per side, easier for me to sharpen and more what I'm used to using.

If NWC is not convenient to you then Exact Blade would do a good job of re-bevel. If neither is doable then call/ship to Northwestern. Avoid big box home/kitchen store knife services like a chicken avoids a hungry man with an ax and pot.

It takes a short while to ease into using quality knives, no rush. One other thing, like Ronnie_Suburban likes to say, knives are a Deep deep rabbit hole, enjoy the ride.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #38 - November 14th, 2019, 11:32 am
    Post #38 - November 14th, 2019, 11:32 am Post #38 - November 14th, 2019, 11:32 am
    This is amazing! Thanks for the info!!

Yeah I'm looking for a proper honing steel to use before/after every use. I still haven't crossed the bridge of self sharpening, so plan on hitting up a professional a couple times a year.

Out of the box, the misono was unbelievably sharp and after my vshape sharpening mishaps, it's fine but not what it was. I need to get it resharpened stat.

And my obsessive tendencies will get me down that rabbit hole eventually. Just haven't indulged quite yet...
  • Post #39 - January 11th, 2020, 3:13 pm
    Post #39 - January 11th, 2020, 3:13 pm Post #39 - January 11th, 2020, 3:13 pm
    WhyBeeSea wrote:This is amazing! Thanks for the info!!

Yeah I'm looking for a proper honing steel to use before/after every use. I still haven't crossed the bridge of self sharpening, so plan on hitting up a professional a couple times a year.

Out of the box, the misono was unbelievably sharp and after my vshape sharpening mishaps, it's fine but not what it was. I need to get it resharpened stat.

And my obsessive tendencies will get me down that rabbit hole eventually. Just haven't indulged quite yet...

Finally took the misono in and it's amazingly sharp again and sharpened for my lefthandedness. Made dicing some onions so dang easy and enjoyable.

They also recommended a ceramic honing rod so I bought one of those. What a cool shop.
  • Post #40 - January 11th, 2020, 4:34 pm
    Post #40 - January 11th, 2020, 4:34 pm Post #40 - January 11th, 2020, 4:34 pm
    WhyBeeSea wrote:
    WhyBeeSea wrote:This is amazing! Thanks for the info!!

Finally took the misono in and it's amazingly sharp again and sharpened for my lefthandedness. Made dicing some onions so dang easy and enjoyable.

They also recommended a ceramic honing rod so I bought one of those. What a cool shop.

Which shop?

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #41 - January 11th, 2020, 5:17 pm
    Post #41 - January 11th, 2020, 5:17 pm Post #41 - January 11th, 2020, 5:17 pm
    Sorry, northwestern cutlery. I'm planning on getting some more knives sharpened there so I can spend more time browsing
  • Post #42 - January 11th, 2020, 5:23 pm
    Post #42 - January 11th, 2020, 5:23 pm Post #42 - January 11th, 2020, 5:23 pm
    WhyBeeSea wrote:Sorry, northwestern cutlery. I'm planning on getting some more knives sharpened there so I can spend more time browsing

Uh oh . . . :D
    =R=
  • Post #43 - January 11th, 2020, 8:06 pm
    Post #43 - January 11th, 2020, 8:06 pm Post #43 - January 11th, 2020, 8:06 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    WhyBeeSea wrote:Sorry, northwestern cutlery. I'm planning on getting some more knives sharpened there so I can spend more time browsing

=R=

Yeah picked up a few small items today: quarter pan rack, ramen strainer, stirring spoons. But next time I'll do some browsing of knives. So much for not buying stuff in 2020....
  • Post #44 - January 12th, 2020, 11:53 pm
    Post #44 - January 12th, 2020, 11:53 pm Post #44 - January 12th, 2020, 11:53 pm
    WhyBeeSea wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:

=R=

Yeah picked up a few small items today: quarter pan rack, ramen strainer, stirring spoons. But next time I'll do some browsing of knives. So much for not buying stuff in 2020....

Well, good for you. At least you managed to put off knife-browsing until next time. Stay strong, my friend! :D

I continue to be pleased that I fell down the knife-sharpening rabbit hole. My skills have improved greatly over the past few months. I'm really sorry I didn't take before and after pictures because earlier today I completed a sharpening task that, I believe, leveled me up at least twice.

A friend gave me his Shun Classic 7-inch Santoku in Damascus VG Max steel, and it was in a very sad state. Not only was it quite dull but it also had several chips, where small chunks of the blade were actually missing from its edge. It looked like the grin on a malevolent jack-o-lantern.

I'm not sure how this damage happened and neither was my friend. My guess is that it was used on either frozen food or bone . . . more than once or twice. As a fellow knife geek so aptly put it on another board, when it comes to Japanese knives, quality does not necessarily equal durability. Even with a fairly hearty, mass-produced Shun knife, this proved to be true. These are great tools but they must be used with care in order for them to last.

I started it out on a 50 grit diamond stone (@ ~15°) and it did take some time but before too long, I'd managed to re-profile the edge and remove all the chips. I confirmed this by viewing the edge through an inexpensive jeweler's loupe that I picked up a while back. From there, I took it through a full progression on the following diamond stones

100 grit
    140 grit
    300 grit
    600 grit
    1,500 grit

and then finished it on a kangaroo strop with some 4 micron cubic boron nitride (CBN) emulsion, which has a 4,000 grit equivalent. At that point, the blade was screaming sharp, and sliced effortlessly through single sheets of newspaper better than a brand new blade right out of the box.

I had such fun doing it. Even thinking beforehand about how to approach it was a satisfying exercise. I learned a ton and gained quite a bit of confidence. And I cannot wait to return it to my friend and see his reaction.

=R=
  • Post #45 - January 13th, 2020, 4:39 am
    Post #45 - January 13th, 2020, 4:39 am Post #45 - January 13th, 2020, 4:39 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote: finished it on a kangaroo strop with some 4 micron cubic boron nitride (CBN) emulsion, which has a 4,000 grit equivalent.

Michael Christy would be proud.
    RabbitHole1.jpg .
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #46 - January 13th, 2020, 7:44 am
    Post #46 - January 13th, 2020, 7:44 am Post #46 - January 13th, 2020, 7:44 am
    This is amazing! Instead of buying more knives, I may purchase some sharpening equipment and go deep into it like you have.
  • Post #47 - January 13th, 2020, 4:55 pm
    Post #47 - January 13th, 2020, 4:55 pm Post #47 - January 13th, 2020, 4:55 pm
    WhyBeeSea wrote:This is amazing! Instead of buying more knives, I may purchase some sharpening equipment and go deep into it like you have.

Yeah, unless you have some really bad, unsharpenable knives, having dull knives is probably the last reason to buy more knives. As long as you think you'll enjoy it, there's no reason not to try sharpening. I could recommend a couple of great, inexpensive combination stones for you but without knowing what kinds of knives you have and what condition they're in, that might not be helpful.

And there's always the farm-it-out option. Both Northwestern Cutlery and Exact Blade will sharpen your knives for you. And there are internet/mail-order places that do it, too. For oddballs like me -- just as I suspected going in -- sharpening is something I've come to enjoy very much.

=R=
  • Post #48 - January 13th, 2020, 5:30 pm
    Post #48 - January 13th, 2020, 5:30 pm Post #48 - January 13th, 2020, 5:30 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    WhyBeeSea wrote:This is amazing! Instead of buying more knives, I may purchase some sharpening equipment and go deep into it like you have.

Yeah, unless you have some really bad, unsharpenable knives, having dull knives is probably the last reason to buy more knives. As long as you think you'll enjoy it, there's no reason not to try sharpening. I could recommend a couple of great, inexpensive combination stones for you but without knowing what kinds of knives you have and what condition they're in, that might not be helpful.

And there's always the farm-it-out option. Both Northwestern Cutlery and Exact Blade will sharpen your knives for you. And there are internet/mail-order places that do it, too. For oddballs like me -- just as I suspected going in -- sharpening is something I've come to enjoy very much.

=R=

Yeah I have a couple workhorses: the misono carbon steel and a few alton brown branded shuns from many years back. And some other random pieces that get irregular use. The shuns are in decent shape but I'd be curious to see the improvement after some proper sharpening.

Honestly, I'd be more curious to learn this to help out my friends. Bugs me to no other how dull knives are when I cook with acquaintances! :)
  • Post #49 - January 13th, 2020, 6:15 pm
    Post #49 - January 13th, 2020, 6:15 pm Post #49 - January 13th, 2020, 6:15 pm
    WhyBeeSea wrote:Bugs me to no other how dull knives are when I cook with acquaintances! :)
    When cooking at a friends house in the area I typically bring my 8" Misono, a paring knife and my Thermapen. I have a well stocked knife roll but rarely bring that anywhere, unless I'm trying to impress. Not something I care much about anymore.

When I travel I always bring a quality pocket knife or two and a Fallkniven DC4 two sided sharpening stone. Yes, I have to check luggage but its worth the effort. Just a short trip no checked bag, I still travel with the sharpening stone.
    SharpenP1.jpg Fallkniven DC4/Northwoods Barlow.

If you find yourself with a dull as shit knife and no sharpener use the unfinished bottom of a ceramic coffee mug, it works surprisingly well. Just don't take your eye off the ball/get distracted or you will end up bleeding and looking like an idiot. Yes, happened to me.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #50 - January 13th, 2020, 10:28 pm
    Post #50 - January 13th, 2020, 10:28 pm Post #50 - January 13th, 2020, 10:28 pm
    When cooking at a friends house in the area I typically bring my 8" Misono, a paring knife and my Thermapen. I have a well stocked knife roll but rarely bring that anywhere, unless I'm trying to impress. Not something I care much about anymore.

Makes me happy that other people do this. I have a small knife roll for this sole purpose. Keep a misen chef knife, a serrated knife and a y peeler in there.
  • Post #51 - January 14th, 2020, 5:32 am
    Post #51 - January 14th, 2020, 5:32 am Post #51 - January 14th, 2020, 5:32 am
    In a pinch, a concrete step also will work. It creates a rough edge but it’s better than a dull knife.
  • Post #52 - January 14th, 2020, 12:36 pm
    Post #52 - January 14th, 2020, 12:36 pm Post #52 - January 14th, 2020, 12:36 pm
    G Wiv wrote:When I travel I always bring a quality pocket knife or two and a Fallkniven DC4 two sided sharpening stone. Yes, I have to check luggage but its worth the effort. Just a short trip no checked bag, I still travel with the sharpening stone.
    SharpenP1.jpg

Hey Gwiv, what is that pocketknife with the arrowhead maker’s mark? I’m an Opinel guy but that one looks really nice.
  • Post #53 - January 14th, 2020, 1:33 pm
    Post #53 - January 14th, 2020, 1:33 pm Post #53 - January 14th, 2020, 1:33 pm
    eating while walking wrote:
    G Wiv wrote:When I travel I always bring a quality pocket knife or two and a Fallkniven DC4 two sided sharpening stone. Yes, I have to check luggage but its worth the effort. Just a short trip no checked bag, I still travel with the sharpening stone.
    SharpenP1.jpg

Hey Gwiv, what is that pocketknife with the arrowhead maker’s mark? I’m an Opinel guy but that one looks really nice.

A Great Eastern Cutlery slip joint of some sort, yes?

=R=
  • Post #54 - January 14th, 2020, 2:16 pm
    Post #54 - January 14th, 2020, 2:16 pm Post #54 - January 14th, 2020, 2:16 pm
    eating while walking wrote:Hey Gwiv, what is that pocketknife with the arrowhead maker’s mark? I’m an Opinel guy but that one looks really nice.

ronnie_suburban wrote:A Great Eastern Cutlery slip joint of some sort, yes?

Close. Its a Northwoods Madison Barlow built by Great Eastern Cutlery. 1095 steel, slip joint, Natural Canvas Micarta, 3.5" clip point blade. Bought it January 2016, long out of print. A very nice knife.
    TravelKnife3.jpg Northwoods Madison Barlow
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #55 - January 14th, 2020, 9:26 pm
    Post #55 - January 14th, 2020, 9:26 pm Post #55 - January 14th, 2020, 9:26 pm
    G Wiv wrote:If you find yourself with a dull as shit knife and no sharpener use the unfinished bottom of a ceramic coffee mug, it works surprisingly well. Just don't take your eye off the ball/get distracted or you will end up bleeding and looking like an idiot. Yes, happened to me.

You can also use the top edge of a car window, it works surprisingly well. Definitely better than concrete, however never tried the coffee mug trick...will need to try that next time I’m too lazy to find my stone.
  • Post #56 - March 1st, 2020, 8:32 pm
    Post #56 - March 1st, 2020, 8:32 pm Post #56 - March 1st, 2020, 8:32 pm
    scanz wrote:
    G Wiv wrote:If you find yourself with a dull as shit knife and no sharpener use the unfinished bottom of a ceramic coffee mug, it works surprisingly well. Just don't take your eye off the ball/get distracted or you will end up bleeding and looking like an idiot. Yes, happened to me.

You can also use the top edge of a car window, it works surprisingly well. Definitely better than concrete, however never tried the coffee mug trick...will need to try that next time I’m too lazy to find my stone.

I thought of this post when I watched this video recently from Pete over at the Cedric & Ada Gear and Outdoors youtube channel
    . . .

How to sharpen a knife with a car

Seems to work reasonably well. Honestly, I'd be more concerned about damaging the car than damaging the knife.

I had an ironic sharpening moment this weekend. Because I'd offered, my sister asked me to sharpen some of her pretty crappy steak knives . . . knives I'd given to her and my BIL as a wedding gift 15+ years ago. :oops:

The good news is that because they were pretty soft steel, they took a really nice edge without too much effort. The bad news is that they don't seem to hold those edges for long. I used one at dinner and it just glided through a 2" NY strip steak. But by the end of dinner, I felt that it already needed a touch-up. So I stropped it and restored it but I know she's never going to do that. So now, 2 of her knives down and only 14 to go. :shock:

I think my best move here might be to just buy them some new steak knives. If I'd only known then what I know now . . . :lol:

=R=
  • Post #57 - March 23rd, 2020, 8:46 pm
    Post #57 - March 23rd, 2020, 8:46 pm Post #57 - March 23rd, 2020, 8:46 pm
    After nearly 2 years, Vincent @ Korin sharpens his own knife . . . :shock:

Vincent sharpens his own knife

=R=
  • Post #58 - March 24th, 2020, 9:31 am
    Post #58 - March 24th, 2020, 9:31 am Post #58 - March 24th, 2020, 9:31 am
    Thanks Ronnie. This reminded me to finally buy a couple whetstones from Korin. With this new found time, I'll learn how to sharpen at home. Hopefully....
  • Post #59 - March 24th, 2020, 9:37 am
    Post #59 - March 24th, 2020, 9:37 am Post #59 - March 24th, 2020, 9:37 am
    WhyBeeSea wrote:Thanks Ronnie. This reminded me to finally buy a couple whetstones from Korin. With this new found time, I'll learn how to sharpen at home. Hopefully....

Indeed but just be careful. This would not be a great time to visit the ER. :wink:

=R=
  • Post #60 - March 24th, 2020, 9:40 am
    Post #60 - March 24th, 2020, 9:40 am Post #60 - March 24th, 2020, 9:40 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:After nearly 2 years, Vincent @ Korin sharpens his own knife

After watching Vincent test cutting paper in the beginning of the video it occurs to me his idea of needing sharpening is sharper than 99% of the populations idea of sharp. :)
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more