LTH Home

Whetstones, other tools for sharpening & maintaining knives?

Whetstones, other tools for sharpening & maintaining knives?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - August 18th, 2019, 7:25 pm
    Post #31 - August 18th, 2019, 7:25 pm Post #31 - August 18th, 2019, 7:25 pm
    Damn! I can't wait for my new misono to have a similar patina
  • Post #32 - November 2nd, 2019, 1:35 pm
    Post #32 - November 2nd, 2019, 1:35 pm Post #32 - November 2nd, 2019, 1:35 pm
    A sharp knife is a happy knife. #lowslowbbq #countmeafan #homecooking

    KnifeSharpeningMisono1.jpg Take 2
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

    Low & Slow
  • Post #33 - November 3rd, 2019, 2:00 pm
    Post #33 - November 3rd, 2019, 2:00 pm Post #33 - November 3rd, 2019, 2:00 pm
    G Wiv, which knife is that in the picture? I created an account, just so I could ask you that. I've lurked here for years.

    Never mind! I found your other post in the Knives thread. I was trying to match by picture, it seems that they all come with a "picture" of a flower on them.
  • Post #34 - November 14th, 2019, 3:59 am
    Post #34 - November 14th, 2019, 3:59 am Post #34 - November 14th, 2019, 3:59 am
    Xexo wrote:G Wiv, which knife is that in the picture? I created an account, just so I could ask you that. I've lurked here for years.

    Never mind! I found your other post in the Knives thread. I was trying to match by picture, it seems that they all come with a "picture" of a flower on them.
    Just saw this post, I realize you said you found the info but thought I'd post here for reference.
    Knife is a Misono Swedish Carbon Steel Gyutou 8", the 8" don't have that stupid dragon etching, larger have the etching. Korin typically has 15% off in July and December on knives.
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

    Low & Slow
  • Post #35 - November 14th, 2019, 7:10 am
    Post #35 - November 14th, 2019, 7:10 am Post #35 - November 14th, 2019, 7:10 am
    Thanks!
    G Wiv wrote:
    Xexo wrote:G Wiv, which knife is that in the picture? I created an account, just so I could ask you that. I've lurked here for years.

    Never mind! I found your other post in the Knives thread. I was trying to match by picture, it seems that they all come with a "picture" of a flower on them.
    Just saw this post, I realize you said you found the info but thought I'd post here for reference.
    Knife is a Misono Swedish Carbon Steel Gyutou 8", the 8" don't have that stupid dragon etching, larger have the etching. Korin typically has 15% off in July and December on knives.
  • Post #36 - November 14th, 2019, 7:35 am
    Post #36 - November 14th, 2019, 7:35 am Post #36 - November 14th, 2019, 7:35 am
    Gary, do sharpening steels vary all that much? I have one that came w a crappy set many years ago and it seems to be doing fine. But I also don't have anything to compare against.

    I didn't even think about it and used one of those handheld twin sharpeners on the misono and it dulled it out a bit. Guessing that's not a proper tool for a blade that's only sharpened on one side. You live and you learn....
  • Post #37 - November 14th, 2019, 8:53 am
    Post #37 - November 14th, 2019, 8:53 am Post #37 - November 14th, 2019, 8:53 am
    WhyBeeSea wrote:Guessing that's not a proper tool for a blade that's only sharpened on one side. You live and you learn....

    Above Misono is not chisel ground (one side only) its 70/30, either way a V-shape sharpener will wreak havoc with the grind. Actually, most of the V-shape "sharpeners" will f-up a quality knife pretty quick. Also, the steels that come with knife sets are generally honing steels, not meant to sharpen but to realine. There are billions of knife sharpening/honing tutorials available, both text and youtube some linked in this thread.

    Steels do vary quite a bit, as I mention most are honing, some actually sharpen (diamond). I'd suggest a quality honing steel, like F. Dick, and a set of wet stones for maintenance. Along with the occasional visit to Northwestern Cutlery.

    I had my (pictured) Misono reground by Northwestern Cutlery to an even bevel, about 36% all inclusive, 18(ish) degrees per side, easier for me to sharpen and more what I'm used to using.

    If NWC is not convenient to you then Exact Blade would do a good job of re-bevel. If neither is doable then call/ship to Northwestern. Avoid big box home/kitchen store knife services like a chicken avoids a hungry man with an ax and pot.

    It takes a short while to ease into using quality knives, no rush. One other thing, like Ronnie_Suburban likes to say, knives are a Deep deep rabbit hole, enjoy the ride.
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

    Low & Slow
  • Post #38 - November 14th, 2019, 11:32 am
    Post #38 - November 14th, 2019, 11:32 am Post #38 - November 14th, 2019, 11:32 am
    This is amazing! Thanks for the info!!

    Yeah I'm looking for a proper honing steel to use before/after every use. I still haven't crossed the bridge of self sharpening, so plan on hitting up a professional a couple times a year.

    Out of the box, the misono was unbelievably sharp and after my vshape sharpening mishaps, it's fine but not what it was. I need to get it resharpened stat.

    And my obsessive tendencies will get me down that rabbit hole eventually. Just haven't indulged quite yet...

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more