LTH Home

Charcoal and Solid Fuel Cookers - Weber and the rest

Charcoal and Solid Fuel Cookers - Weber and the rest
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - July 17th, 2021, 10:22 pm
    Post #31 - July 17th, 2021, 10:22 pm Post #31 - July 17th, 2021, 10:22 pm
    Lougord99, I wonder if a paintless dent place could round that thing out cheaper than a new lid.

And on the Weber IPO, probably better than if they were bought by a hedge fund that would strip all the value out and just keep the brand name.
  • Post #32 - July 17th, 2021, 11:50 pm
    Post #32 - July 17th, 2021, 11:50 pm Post #32 - July 17th, 2021, 11:50 pm
    lougord99 wrote:Can't order a new one on-line so I am going to have to deal with their wonderful ( not ) phone system.

Why one cannot just order a new lid from them online is frustrating and beyond any reasonable explanation. Someone at Weber once tried to explain to me that it had something to do with voiding my warranty. I assured that person that I didn't care about the warranty on my 15-year-old kettle. I just wanted a new lid, which I needed because the old, cheaply made one had failed and was too cheaply made to be repaired easily. It really must come down to Weber doing everything possible to force consumers to purchase entirely new units.

tjr wrote:And on the Weber IPO, probably better than if they were bought by a hedge fund that would strip all the value out and just keep the brand name.

Perhaps but I suspect that both paths would further diminish quality and service while continuing to push pricing up. I don't begrudge them this IPO. I completely get it. But at this stage, what's good for the shareholders isn't necessarily what's best for the customers.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #33 - July 18th, 2021, 2:34 pm
    Post #33 - July 18th, 2021, 2:34 pm Post #33 - July 18th, 2021, 2:34 pm
    Weber has been majority owned by a private equity firm since 2010.
    From a Bloomberg story carried by Crain's Chicago Business on July 12:
    Weber launched its first grill in 1952. Since 2010, it’s been majority owned by BDT Capital Partners, the Chicago-based investment firm and merchant bank founded and led by Byron Trott.

Trott and BDT Capital Partners, as well as Weber’s management, are listed in the filing as being among its biggest shareholders. The company plans to use the IPO proceeds to buy back shares from its holding company and from some existing shareholders.

BDT has had majority control for 11 years and will continue to have majority control after the IPO thanks to a multi-class stock structure.

Joe Cahill's column on July 14 has more information as well as some reasons investors should avoid the IPO.

A planned initial public offering by Weber Inc. would give public investors a taste of the grill maker's red-hot growth.

But if company management can't keep the coals burning, outside shareholders won't have much power to call in a new chef. Like so many recent IPOs, Palatine-based Weber's deal effectively disenfranchises public investors through mechanisms that ensure insiders will retain control after the offering.

Most prominent among those insiders is BDT Capital, a Chicago-based investment firm run by Byron Trott, a former Goldman Sachs exec who earned fame as "Warren Buffett's favorite investment banker." Since launching BDT in 2009, Trott has made a specialty of buying into sizable private companies still controlled by founding families, helping them expand and eventually cash out some or all of their holdings. BDT's investments have included the Wrigley Building, Lou Malnati's, Culligan International, Athletico Physical Therapy, Peet's Coffee, Whataburger, and Tory Burch.
  • Post #34 - July 18th, 2021, 3:08 pm
    Post #34 - July 18th, 2021, 3:08 pm Post #34 - July 18th, 2021, 3:08 pm
    ekreider wrote:Weber has been majority owned by a private equity firm since 2010.
    From a Bloomberg story carried by Crain's Chicago Business on July 12:
    Weber launched its first grill in 1952. Since 2010, it’s been majority owned by BDT Capital Partners, the Chicago-based investment firm and merchant bank founded and led by Byron Trott.

Trott and BDT Capital Partners, as well as Weber’s management, are listed in the filing as being among its biggest shareholders. The company plans to use the IPO proceeds to buy back shares from its holding company and from some existing shareholders.

BDT has had majority control for 11 years and will continue to have majority control after the IPO thanks to a multi-class stock structure.

Joe Cahill's column on July 14 has more information as well as some reasons investors should avoid the IPO.

A planned initial public offering by Weber Inc. would give public investors a taste of the grill maker's red-hot growth.

But if company management can't keep the coals burning, outside shareholders won't have much power to call in a new chef. Like so many recent IPOs, Palatine-based Weber's deal effectively disenfranchises public investors through mechanisms that ensure insiders will retain control after the offering.

Most prominent among those insiders is BDT Capital, a Chicago-based investment firm run by Byron Trott, a former Goldman Sachs exec who earned fame as "Warren Buffett's favorite investment banker." Since launching BDT in 2009, Trott has made a specialty of buying into sizable private companies still controlled by founding families, helping them expand and eventually cash out some or all of their holdings. BDT's investments have included the Wrigley Building, Lou Malnati's, Culligan International, Athletico Physical Therapy, Peet's Coffee, Whataburger, and Tory Burch.

Thanks, for the additional information. That adds up and explains a lot about Weber's gradual but steady decline as a customer-friendly company.

=R=
  • Post #35 - Yesterday, 4:04 pm
    Post #35 - Yesterday, 4:04 pm Post #35 - Yesterday, 4:04 pm
    So I ordered a new top on the phone today.

It was actually pretty painless. The guy wanted the serial number from my kettle, explaining that there are several varieties of 22" kettles and this would be sure they were sending the correct top. When I went outside and he was explaining to me where the serial number was, I lost the call because I have a wireless phone at home ( yes I still have a landline ) and I guess it lost the base when I was at the grill. He immediately called me back. Total time on the phone, including waiting for an agent was less than 15 minutes. I would give them a solid B+ to A- on handling the problem.
  • Post #36 - Yesterday, 10:19 pm
    Post #36 - Yesterday, 10:19 pm Post #36 - Yesterday, 10:19 pm
    lougord99 wrote:So I ordered a new top on the phone today.

It was actually pretty painless. The guy wanted the serial number from my kettle, explaining that there are several varieties of 22" kettles and this would be sure they were sending the correct top. When I went outside and he was explaining to me where the serial number was, I lost the call because I have a wireless phone at home ( yes I still have a landline ) and I guess it lost the base when I was at the grill. He immediately called me back. Total time on the phone, including waiting for an agent was less than 15 minutes. I would give them a solid B+ to A- on handling the problem.

That's good to know. Still, I'm guessing that any variety of 22" lid would have fit on your grill (even if outfitted with different features than the original), since that measurement is fairly constant. :wink:

=R=
  • Post #37 - Today, 6:21 am
    Post #37 - Today, 6:21 am Post #37 - Today, 6:21 am
    True, but I wanted the top only without accessories ( handle, and thermometer ). So the holes needed to be in the correct place for me to transfer from my old top to the new top.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more