LTH Home

Fresh Market Place, in Bucktown/Logan Square

Fresh Market Place, in Bucktown/Logan Square
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Fresh Market Place, in Bucktown/Logan Square

Post #1 - October 13th, 2019, 1:37 pm
    Post #1 - October 13th, 2019, 1:37 pm Post #1 - October 13th, 2019, 1:37 pm
    I didn't see a dedicated thread and the last posts were from 4 years ago, and thought this store could use some LTH love.

We've had challenges with food stores not having everything we like, being crazy busy, having challenging parking, or horrible traffic around the store.

While I popped in a few times a couple years ago, we've been going more frequently and constantly finding things we use and not the easiest to find.

Almost all of our cart is produce, with a few items from the center of stores. The produce department is very good, but my guess is the amount of shoppers and the footprint keep it from being great. But to be honest, not sure there is really any better produce department in the neighborhoods I shop in. I was spoiled when we lived in Lake Forest and had Sunset Foods and Heinen's (but I haven't been in a few years so that may have changed).

Some recent finds at FMP that aren't the easiest to find are Silver Hills bread (our current favorite is the Big 16), Oatley milk, and Publican Bakery baguettes (nice to not need to always make a special trip for a great baguette). Lots of great stuff here, and if you aren't making a special coffee run, they have a nice coffee selection, including my favorite roaster, Metropolis.

Found a carton that had Atotonilco corn tortillas that were still warm. There were also some Atotonilco corn tortillas next to it in a different package. I asked a guy who seemed to be the manager and he explained they get the fresh ones daily and they have no preservatives and not meant to sit on the selves for days, which was the other package. Curious to try them.

I complimented the manager on the selection and he was very friendly and thankful for the compliment. He mentioned that they would special order anything we couldn't find, which someone else mentioned here. I saw a different manager there a few weeks ago that was also really friendly and spoke very kindly to his employees, which was nice to see. I prefer to spend my money with a non-corporate owner who seem to care about their customers and employees.

Overall it's a pleasant shopping experience, as opposed the other stores in our rotation.

Fresh Market Place
    2134 N Western Ave
    Chicago, IL 60647
  • Post #2 - October 15th, 2019, 7:43 am
    Post #2 - October 15th, 2019, 7:43 am Post #2 - October 15th, 2019, 7:43 am
    I live right behind FMP and it is honestly my favorite part about where I live. Their produce is always top quality and they do a great job maximizing their smaller footprint with a surprisingly deep variety. Their Asian section is half of one aisle but manages to beat Jewel's with ease.

When they hired Ben, the butcher, things really picked up in the butcher section. It's wild to be able to pop in and have a huge selection of Slagel Farms for a reasonable price. I also appreciate that they continue to offer more economy selections as well to accommodate everyone.

All of the employees are so nice and a culture like that starts from the top. The managers are always checking in with customers (by name when they can) and they will get you anything that you need.

I cannot say enough good things about FMP.
  • Post #3 - June 6th, 2021, 3:10 pm
    Post #3 - June 6th, 2021, 3:10 pm Post #3 - June 6th, 2021, 3:10 pm
    gnarchief wrote:When they hired Ben, the butcher, things really picked up in the butcher section. It's wild to be able to pop in and have a huge selection of Slagel Farms for a reasonable price. I also appreciate that they continue to offer more economy selections as well to accommodate everyone....I cannot say enough good things about FMP.

I recently happened upon Fresh Market Place and it immediately became one of my favorite groceries (don't worry HarvesTime, you're still my neighborhood crush). To expand on gnarchief's reference to the huge selection of Slagel Family Farm meats: In two visits I have already purchased Slagel bacon, chicken thighs, two kinds of burgers, lamb kabobs, filet mignon, and spareribs. It is so exciting to have so many meaty options available nearby and at very reasonable prices! On my last visit, Memorial Day weekend, they had Publican Quality Bread croissants and kouign amann. From the deli counter, I purchased cole slaw, potato salad (there were I think seven varieties available), and egg salad (I'm not a hard-boiled egg fan so don't often make it, and my husband said it was the best he has had). Everything in the case looked very fresh, not skinned over like you often see at grocery counters. It will be fun to find new treasures on each visit!
  • Post #4 - June 6th, 2021, 4:18 pm
    Post #4 - June 6th, 2021, 4:18 pm Post #4 - June 6th, 2021, 4:18 pm
    We really like this store! Slagel and Publican and organic meats and some decent cheeses; interesting and international produce; Mexican staples; and such a nice staff. It has been our main stop in the pandemic, because the smaller size and good ratio of staff to customer has made it seem safe. My old meat counter staffers from Whole Foods LP have both moved over there and I've noticed some creative chances they're taking in stocking interesting items like high quality crab dip. I hope people support the store, as we'd love to see the elevated offerings continue to expand.
  • Post #5 - June 7th, 2021, 8:44 am
    Post #5 - June 7th, 2021, 8:44 am Post #5 - June 7th, 2021, 8:44 am
    Speaking of expanding the elevated offering, new in the meat case and freezer —Nueske's products!
  • Post #6 - June 7th, 2021, 9:07 am
    Post #6 - June 7th, 2021, 9:07 am Post #6 - June 7th, 2021, 9:07 am
    I recently decamped from Bucktown to Oak Park, but I still drive down to Fresh Market Place on weekend mornings, despite plenty of good grocery options near me. I'm a small-batch shopper, and having FMP down the street was a gift. Braving the accursed Eisenhower once a week is a small price to pay for what the place offers — friendly people, great produce, great meat and Dark Matter coffee.
  • Post #7 - June 7th, 2021, 9:53 am
    Post #7 - June 7th, 2021, 9:53 am Post #7 - June 7th, 2021, 9:53 am
    Luckyguy wrote:I recently decamped from Bucktown to Oak Park, but I still drive down to Fresh Market Place on weekend mornings, despite plenty of good grocery options near me. I'm a small-batch shopper, and having FMP down the street was a gift. Braving the accursed Eisenhower once a week is a small price to pay for what the place offers — friendly people, great produce, great meat and Dark Matter coffee.

Not sure where you are at in Oak Park, I'm on the North side, forget the Eisenhower, I head straight east on North Ave, and its usually about 20 minutes.
  • Post #8 - June 8th, 2021, 1:14 pm
    Post #8 - June 8th, 2021, 1:14 pm Post #8 - June 8th, 2021, 1:14 pm
    Actually, North is my preferred route. But early on a weekend I'll jump on the Ike 'cause it's a little closer and it's not as much of stock-car rally experience.
  • Post #9 - June 9th, 2021, 10:31 pm
    Post #9 - June 9th, 2021, 10:31 pm Post #9 - June 9th, 2021, 10:31 pm
    gnarchief wrote:Speaking of expanding the elevated offering, new in the meat case and freezer —Nueske's products!

Yes! I love Nueske's! And one more thing...I forgot to mention I picked up a pack of Kevin Hickey's "Chick Inn Dogs" and they were the best non-beef/pork hot dogs I've tried. They grilled up surprisingly well with a nice char, a substantial snap, and were juicier and more flavorful than I deserved

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more