LTH Home

Talard Thai Market

Talard Thai Market
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Talard Thai Market

Post #1 - October 19th, 2019, 9:12 am
    Post #1 - October 19th, 2019, 9:12 am Post #1 - October 19th, 2019, 9:12 am
    FYI for anybody looking for a new market mainly for Thailand - there is one recently opened called Talard Thai Market at 5351 N Broadway. This is a little north of the Berwyn Red Line stop, a little north of Argyle.

According to their Facebook page, they are importing a lot from Thailand (and some other parts of SE Asia):
    https://www.facebook.com/Talardthaichicago

Talard Thai Market
    5351 N Broadway
    Open daily from 8am to 8pm
    (773) 942-6566

https://www.facebook.com/Talardthaichicago
    http://talardthaichicago.com
    2019 Chicago Food Business License Issuances Map: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1AGfUU ... sp=sharing
  • Post #2 - October 20th, 2019, 9:20 am
    Post #2 - October 20th, 2019, 9:20 am Post #2 - October 20th, 2019, 9:20 am
    That's exciting news! I stopped by on Saturday to find they aren't open yet. The owner told me he plans to open on Friday, October 25. Looks like a nice store.

IMG_4692.jpg
  • Post #3 - November 2nd, 2019, 2:13 pm
    Post #3 - November 2nd, 2019, 2:13 pm Post #3 - November 2nd, 2019, 2:13 pm
    We stopped there today and it's pretty great. The store is immaculate and well-organized with produce clearly marked. Highlights were the produce section, prepared foods (similar to PNA) and selection of Thai flavored potato chips (e.g. tom yum, nori, green curry). I picked up some really nice looking holy basil and Thai basil. They had a great selection of Thai greens and vegetables including pea eggplant, pak wan, cha-om, wing beans. There are a few sparse sections and an empty butcher case (they are planning to add meats and some other products per the friendly woman at checkout). This is a great addition to the Argyle area--the Thai focus of the products is very clear.
    The photo below is about 1/5 of the produce selection.

IMG_1006.jpg Green curry chips
    IMG_1005.jpg Produce section
  • Post #4 - November 2nd, 2019, 3:18 pm
    Post #4 - November 2nd, 2019, 3:18 pm Post #4 - November 2nd, 2019, 3:18 pm
    Thaiobsessed any indication of, or do they already have, hot prepared foods ready to go like in the old Thai Grocery, where Ba Le is now. I loved that shop especially the prepared foods, I still dream of the crispy fatty cartilage laden spicy chunks of fried pork ribs.

Thanks for the info/first look, can't wait to check Talard Thai Market out.
    Last edited by G Wiv on November 3rd, 2019, 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

Low & Slow
  • Post #5 - November 2nd, 2019, 5:14 pm
    Post #5 - November 2nd, 2019, 5:14 pm Post #5 - November 2nd, 2019, 5:14 pm
    Thaiobsessed any indication or, do they already have, hot prepared foods ready to go like in the old Thai Grocery, where Ba Le is now. I loved that shop especially the prepared foods, I still dream of the crispy fatty cartilage laden spicy chunks of fried pork ribs.

I perused the prepared foods fairly quickly (I had a 5 y/o in tow who I had to bribe with one of the Japanese Popin' Cookin' candy kits they had for sale). I did see fried pork riblets as well as various curries, a few soups, har mok gai, shrimp dumplings, fish cakes, shrimp paste rice, sticky rice, kari puffs [disclaimer: most things were labeled in Thai characters only so I'm guessing at some of the contents of the containers]

IMG_1007.jpg Popin' Cookin'
  • Post #6 - November 2nd, 2019, 5:21 pm
    Post #6 - November 2nd, 2019, 5:21 pm Post #6 - November 2nd, 2019, 5:21 pm
    thaiobsessed wrote: I did see fried pork riblets
    Be still my slowly beating plaque clogged heart! I'm going to try to check out Talard tomorrow, thanks for the info.
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

Low & Slow
  • Post #7 - November 4th, 2019, 11:03 am
    Post #7 - November 4th, 2019, 11:03 am Post #7 - November 4th, 2019, 11:03 am
    looks like a great addition
  • Post #8 - November 4th, 2019, 2:09 pm
    Post #8 - November 4th, 2019, 2:09 pm Post #8 - November 4th, 2019, 2:09 pm
    I visited Talard Thai Asian Market on Broadway today. The market is a small grocery store with many unique Thai goods that you do not see in other Asian markets. I liked that the prices are very reasonable on the shelf items as well as the perishable items like Thai Basil. They are currently just doing a soft opening and are not full stocked yet. The cashier told me the planned grand opening is around the 22nd of November.

They did not have hot food section opened today and the cashier mentioned this is planned as well. They did have a couple prepared food items in a individual container right before the checkout registers on a shelf including a chicken Massaman curry, spicy fish curry, 2 types of pork salad all at a $7 price point. The labels on the prepared food items were in Thai but the friendly cashier explained each item to me.
  • Post #9 - November 14th, 2019, 5:24 pm
    Post #9 - November 14th, 2019, 5:24 pm Post #9 - November 14th, 2019, 5:24 pm
    Oh-My!

First visit today to The NEWEST Thai Grocery in Chicago.
    Much larger than PNA + and very friendly owner who had worked at Star of Siam for many years before opening his own business.

In the front display-case are many prepared foods and salads - lots of "Jerkey"- both Pork and beef- very thinly shaved and cured......lots of Thai Sweets and Desserts and savory little "Empanadas"......yumm!
    ImageThai Grocery Store in Chicago- Talard Thai Asian Market by R. Kramer, on Flickr
    Durian- too stinky for you?
    Well- how about fresh packed-Durian- already "prepped for ya"?
    ImageThai Grocery Store in Chicago- Talard Thai Asian Market by R. Kramer, on Flickr
    They've got it- waiting for ya- just- a little bit pricey- IMHO!

Here's a "sweet" option I'd not seen before-
    ("Toddy" FWIW- is a boozy Palm-fermented-beverage sold in Kerala,India-
    and Road-Side places serving those who consume it- called "Toddy-Shops")

Thai Grocery Store in Chicago- Talard Thai Asian Market by R. Kramer, on Flickr

A tropical fruit I'd discovered in Bogota Colombia- called Uchuva- or Golden-Gooseberries are
    sold here in a Jar-
    Lots of THAI-Chili Paste(s)
    I also learned an important fact about THAI BASIL.......
    I'd always thought- the purplish-colored Basil
    I see with my PHO- is Thai Basil- and
    what they sell in teeny-tiny packages at Pete's Fresh Market is Thai Basil-
    but- Au Contrare Monfrere....
    ImageTwo Types of Thai Basil- only one- is The Holy one...... by R. Kramer, on Flickr
    This- is THAI HOLY BASIL.......
    versus......
    ImageTwo Types of Thai Basil- only one- is The Holy one...... by R. Kramer, on Flickr
    which is THAI BASIL.......
    point-taken.

A GREAT Market-
    and- if- you leave here-
    with nothing to buy- sumpin's wrong w/you!
    :P

<b>Talard THAI Asian Market
    5353 N. Broadway St.
    Chicago,IL.60640
    773.942.6566</b>
  • Post #10 - November 18th, 2019, 9:05 am
    Post #10 - November 18th, 2019, 9:05 am Post #10 - November 18th, 2019, 9:05 am
    I also forgot to add- the hard to find- Thai Sausage- that makes the
    Crispy Rice Salad- have that "FUNK"-
    is called Naem- and Talard Thai Market
    sells a home-made
    one that's 1000x better than the one at PNA.
    3 bundles of Naem for $6.00.

Image“Naem”- sold at (new) Thai Grocery Store @5353 N. Broadway, Chicago by R. Kramer, on Flickr
    And- the packaging- reminds me
    of smuggled Drug-Bundles-in-The-Big-House
    (not that I know- from experience....just in Movies!) :wink: :lol:

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events