LTH Home

Cosmic Crisp - New apple variety to debut at grocery stores

Cosmic Crisp - New apple variety to debut at grocery stores
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 4
  • Post #61 - December 10th, 2020, 9:12 am
    Post #61 - December 10th, 2020, 9:12 am Post #61 - December 10th, 2020, 9:12 am
    seebee wrote:I wasn't overly impressed with the Cosmic Crisps we had last season, but they were definitely a very good choice if the price comes down.

Like I said, Aldi's Cosmic Crisps were disappointing but Mariano's were well worth the price. Apparently sourcing matters.
  • Post #62 - December 13th, 2020, 7:04 pm
    Post #62 - December 13th, 2020, 7:04 pm Post #62 - December 13th, 2020, 7:04 pm
    I gave in and picked up a 2# bag of Cosmics from my local Aldis today. 7 decent sized fruits for $3.49 . I kinda dig them. Not as super sweet as the better Honeycrisps can get, great snap and bite, slightly tart and just a nice amount of " hmm...that's a pretty good apple". One is going to go under my peanut butter here in just a moment.
    D.G. Sullivan's, "we're a little bit Irish, and a whole lot of fun"!
  • Post #63 - December 14th, 2020, 11:44 am
    Post #63 - December 14th, 2020, 11:44 am Post #63 - December 14th, 2020, 11:44 am
    spinynorman99 wrote:Like I said, Aldi's Cosmic Crisps were disappointing but Mariano's were well worth the price. Apparently sourcing matters.

Wholeheartedly agree. My Aldi experiences with most fruit have not been so great. I usually steer clear unless it's one of their great prices on in season stuff that looks great.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #64 - February 4th, 2021, 11:35 am
    Post #64 - February 4th, 2021, 11:35 am Post #64 - February 4th, 2021, 11:35 am
    Tony’s at Lincoln and Foster has Cosmic Crisps for $.99/lb right now! I have the core of the first one I’ve eaten sitting on my knee as I post this. I really dig the snap of the texture. The flavor is good, but my husband contends he still likes Pink Ladys better. I think Pink Ladys are slightly more tart. Either way, I’d definitely get these again for $.99/lb.
    "If this sauce was a person, I'd get naked and make love to it." - Sophia Petrillo, The Golden Girls
  • Post #65 - February 4th, 2021, 12:25 pm
    Post #65 - February 4th, 2021, 12:25 pm Post #65 - February 4th, 2021, 12:25 pm
    One thing that has never bothered me is the price of something that's grown, shipped and delivered into my hands in perfect condition. If I get a really good apple or citrus fruit it doesn't matter if it was $1/lb, $2/lb or $3/lb*. If it's delicious then I feel that I've received value. I completely understand how things are priced in the market but it still amazes me that I can be holding and enjoying something so pleasurable at an affordable price - all the more so when there's a foot of snow on the ground. My Eastern European mother, who grew up in a small village in the middle of nowhere back in the's would tell me about how excited she and her siblings would be when her father returned from a train trip to the nearest city with chocolate and oranges. I totally get it.

Decades back, when "out of season" was a real thing, I remember paying outrageous sums for fresh huge citrus at Treasure Island (and we could barely afford it) and loving it.
  • Post #66 - February 19th, 2021, 4:29 pm
    Post #66 - February 19th, 2021, 4:29 pm Post #66 - February 19th, 2021, 4:29 pm
    Saw them at ALDI yesterday = $3.79 for 2lbs.
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #67 - February 19th, 2021, 7:02 pm
    Post #67 - February 19th, 2021, 7:02 pm Post #67 - February 19th, 2021, 7:02 pm
    Had one recently with some sliced cheddar. I think they’re great!
  • Post #68 - February 19th, 2021, 11:26 pm
    Post #68 - February 19th, 2021, 11:26 pm Post #68 - February 19th, 2021, 11:26 pm
    We tried a couple new varieties of apples from Woodman's recently: Evercrisp and Ruby Frost. The Evercrisps seemed far better than most grocery Honeycrisps. They are a cross of Honeycrisp and Fuji and truly do combine the best aspects of both.

As others have noted, Honeycrisps from the wrong places are pretty bad. I had some Honeycrisps in 95 or 96 at the orchard adjacent to the Minnesota Arboretum. According to Wikipedia, it must have been before they were grown for sale in stores. Haven't had any as good as that since. Terroir matters for Honeycrisp.

The Ruby Frosts were good, too. Not very acid but very fresh-tasting considering how long they were stored.
  • Post #69 - March 2nd, 2021, 8:40 am
    Post #69 - March 2nd, 2021, 8:40 am Post #69 - March 2nd, 2021, 8:40 am
    My Jewel ad shows that Cosmic Crisps will be 99c/lb for a week starting 3/3.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #70 - March 5th, 2021, 3:21 pm
    Post #70 - March 5th, 2021, 3:21 pm Post #70 - March 5th, 2021, 3:21 pm
    Made to to Jewel today. Bought a shit ton of Cosmic Crisps. My previous assessment still stands for me. These are no doubt good. Sweet and super crunchy. Kind of a sweet iced tea with lemon flavor going on. Really good. I'd still take the Evercrisps I've had over these, though. I'd also rate Honeycrisps a notch above these Cosmic Crisps, too. I think the Cosmic Crisp skin is a tad thicker, which bugs me a little bit. These are no doubt really good though, especially if you like a hyper-crunchy apple, which are the only ones I like for eating.
  • Post #71 - December 12th, 2021, 11:20 pm
    Post #71 - December 12th, 2021, 11:20 pm Post #71 - December 12th, 2021, 11:20 pm
    seebee wrote:Made to to Jewel today. Bought a shit ton of Cosmic Crisps. My previous assessment still stands for me. These are no doubt good. Sweet and super crunchy. Kind of a sweet iced tea with lemon flavor going on. Really good. I'd still take the Evercrisps I've had over these, though. I'd also rate Honeycrisps a notch above these Cosmic Crisps, too. I think the Cosmic Crisp skin is a tad thicker, which bugs me a little bit. These are no doubt really good though, especially if you like a hyper-crunchy apple, which are the only ones I like for eating.

I'm with you. I prefer Honeycrisps but with stock fading out at my usual stops and Cosmic Crisps just coming in, I picked up a few this week. I'm happy to report that they were even better than I remembered. Crisp, sweet, slightly tart and bursting with flavor. They're still a full f-stop mealier than Honeycrisps but if Honeycrisps are going away now, it's a largely irrelevant comparison, anyway. I like a few other varieties but the Cosmics will get me though, at least until some of my favorite citrus starts coming in.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #72 - December 13th, 2021, 7:49 am
    Post #72 - December 13th, 2021, 7:49 am Post #72 - December 13th, 2021, 7:49 am
    Anyone that likes HYPER crunchy apples should give the "Envy" variety a try. These don't burst with juice, and they have a thick skin, but they are really dense, and crunchy. Possibly the most dense apple I've ever had. I've been eating these things almost exclusively since the 2021 apple season started, because between my lil fruit market and Jewel, they run between 69c and 99c/lb just about every week. Hard to pass up with the Honeycrisps and Cosmic Crisps are running more like a buck fitty to 1.99/lb - especially for the amount of apples this household eats during apple season. If you like CRUNCHY, Envy should have your full confidence. Flavor / density is another matter, but these things are full on crunchy.
  • Post #73 - December 15th, 2021, 12:23 am
    Post #73 - December 15th, 2021, 12:23 am Post #73 - December 15th, 2021, 12:23 am
    seebee wrote:Anyone that likes HYPER crunchy apples should give the "Envy" variety a try. These don't burst with juice, and they have a thick skin, but they are really dense, and crunchy. Possibly the most dense apple I've ever had. I've been eating these things almost exclusively since the 2021 apple season started, because between my lil fruit market and Jewel, they run between 69c and 99c/lb just about every week. Hard to pass up with the Honeycrisps and Cosmic Crisps are running more like a buck fitty to 1.99/lb - especially for the amount of apples this household eats during apple season. If you like CRUNCHY, Envy should have your full confidence. Flavor / density is another matter, but these things are full on crunchy.

I appreciate the heads up on the Envy apples and pretty much agree with your assessment. They're good. They certainly are crunchy but maybe at the expense of juiciness. They are dense and the skins are thick, though the skins are not particularly bitter. The flesh is sweet and fragrant but maybe lacking a bit in acidity for my palate. I've only had a few, so maybe this will vary more over time than it has so far. Still, I prefer the honeycrisps and the cosmics and while price is a factor, the Envies were actually more expensive where we bought them, compared to HC and CC at the store where we usually buy them. Either way, we only go through about a half-dozen per week, so I don't think price is going to factor into this for us one way or the other.

Thanks!

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #74 - December 15th, 2021, 8:38 am
    Post #74 - December 15th, 2021, 8:38 am Post #74 - December 15th, 2021, 8:38 am
    They're $1.99/lb in this week's Jewel ad.
  • Post #75 - January 10th, 2022, 7:50 am
    Post #75 - January 10th, 2022, 7:50 am Post #75 - January 10th, 2022, 7:50 am
    Your local Tony's mite have Cosmic Crisps and Smittens for 99c until Wednesday this week. I bought some of the Smittens, and they are pretty much a Honeycrisp. Blind, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Less dense than a Cosmic, and less bitter skin. Highly recommend if you like a Honeycrisp more than a Cosmic.
  • Post #76 - January 11th, 2022, 9:45 pm
    Post #76 - January 11th, 2022, 9:45 pm Post #76 - January 11th, 2022, 9:45 pm
    seebee wrote:Your local Tony's mite have Cosmic Crisps and Smittens for 99c until Wednesday this week. I bought some of the Smittens, and they are pretty much a Honeycrisp. Blind, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Less dense than a Cosmic, and less bitter skin. Highly recommend if you like a Honeycrisp more than a Cosmic.

Seebee,
    A Seattle area friend introduced me to Pacific Rose apples, which I’m constantly on the lookout for, and found Sunday at Eurofresh Market in Paletine.
    If you aren't tasting, you aren't cooking.
  • Post #77 - February 9th, 2022, 6:54 am
    Post #77 - February 9th, 2022, 6:54 am Post #77 - February 9th, 2022, 6:54 am
    Aldi:
    Cosmic Crisp Apples - $3.49 Per 2-Lb. Bag
    Valid: 2/9/2022 - 2/15/2022
  • Post #78 - June 29th, 2022, 9:34 am
    Post #78 - June 29th, 2022, 9:34 am Post #78 - June 29th, 2022, 9:34 am
    $.99/lb at Jewel.
  • Post #79 - June 29th, 2022, 12:28 pm
    Post #79 - June 29th, 2022, 12:28 pm Post #79 - June 29th, 2022, 12:28 pm
    We noticed that the wonderful Cosmic Crisp apples have become a bit mealy later in the season.
    The Koru apples have replaced the Cosmic Crisps in our kitchen.
  • Post #80 - July 21st, 2022, 4:54 pm
    Post #80 - July 21st, 2022, 4:54 pm Post #80 - July 21st, 2022, 4:54 pm
    Must agree. I find Envy apples to be sinfully delicious.

seebee wrote:Anyone that likes HYPER crunchy apples should give the "Envy" variety a try. These don't burst with juice, and they have a thick skin, but they are really dense, and crunchy. Possibly the most dense apple I've ever had. I've been eating these things almost exclusively since the 2021 apple season started, because between my lil fruit market and Jewel, they run between 69c and 99c/lb just about every week. Hard to pass up with the Honeycrisps and Cosmic Crisps are running more like a buck fitty to 1.99/lb - especially for the amount of apples this household eats during apple season. If you like CRUNCHY, Envy should have your full confidence. Flavor / density is another matter, but these things are full on crunchy.
  • Post #81 - July 22nd, 2022, 10:03 am
    Post #81 - July 22nd, 2022, 10:03 am Post #81 - July 22nd, 2022, 10:03 am
    HPglutster wrote:Must agree. I find Envy apples to be sinfully delicious.

Costco had a nice box of Envy apples last week—delicious!
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #82 - July 22nd, 2022, 1:37 pm
    Post #82 - July 22nd, 2022, 1:37 pm Post #82 - July 22nd, 2022, 1:37 pm
    HPglutster wrote:Must agree. I find Envy apples to be sinfully delicious.

Mariano's has envy apples on sale for $0.99/lb this week.
    Cookingblahg.blogspot.com
  • Post #83 - July 25th, 2022, 2:54 pm
    Post #83 - July 25th, 2022, 2:54 pm Post #83 - July 25th, 2022, 2:54 pm
    Envy apples do not have a good flavor profile. They are known for sweetness and lack of acidity.

The Cosmic Crisp apples have a balanced sweet/tart and acidity profile. We peel them due to their hard chewy skins.
  • Post #84 - October 20th, 2022, 8:00 am
    Post #84 - October 20th, 2022, 8:00 am Post #84 - October 20th, 2022, 8:00 am
    Honey Crisps = $.99/lb at Woodman’s
  • Post #85 - February 15th, 2023, 9:08 am
    Post #85 - February 15th, 2023, 9:08 am Post #85 - February 15th, 2023, 9:08 am
    Aldi:
    Washington Cosmic Crisp Apples
    $2.99 Per 2-Lb. Bag
    Valid: 2/15/2023 - 2/21/2023
  • Post #86 - February 15th, 2023, 12:10 pm
    Post #86 - February 15th, 2023, 12:10 pm Post #86 - February 15th, 2023, 12:10 pm
    Apologies for slightly off topic, but I have been wondering where all the Braeburn apples have gone. Maybe just a Southeast regional thing? Are they still stocked around Chicago? They were my go to apple for years and miss them.
    Coming to you from Leiper's Fork, TN where we prefer forking to spooning.
  • Post #87 - March 8th, 2023, 7:57 am
    Post #87 - March 8th, 2023, 7:57 am Post #87 - March 8th, 2023, 7:57 am
    Cosmic Crisp = $.99/lb @ Mariano's with digital coupon.
  • Post #88 - March 8th, 2023, 6:29 pm
    Post #88 - March 8th, 2023, 6:29 pm Post #88 - March 8th, 2023, 6:29 pm
    Rick T. asked
    I have been wondering where all the Braeburn apples have gone. Maybe just a Southeast regional thing? Are they still stocked around Chicago? They were my go to apple for years and miss them.

As of this afternoon the Cermak Fresh Market No. 6 at 4234 North Kedzie had a big display of Braeburn apples at 99 cents/pound.
  • Post #89 - May 19th, 2023, 6:43 am
    Post #89 - May 19th, 2023, 6:43 am Post #89 - May 19th, 2023, 6:43 am
    For folks new to this thread, and interested in these "Crisp" varieties of apples (Cosmic, Honey, Ever, etc.)

I've long been a huge fan of the Evercrisp apple. 5-10 ish years ago, I'd never seen them in a store, but on our apple picking adventures, Evercrisp was usually my target apple. Not long ago, early April, I think, I stumbled across Evercrisps at Aldi, of all places, and even tho I assumed they were well out of season, or mislabeled, I decided to give em a try. They were real deal, and the family was ecstatic. Since then, I've kinda been paying attention to apples at stores, and I'm seeing Evercrisps starting to pop up. This week, Pete's has them advertised at 99c/lb on sale. Previous seasonality of great apples be damned, I haven't checked if these are imported or grown from a test tube experiment, but if you ever wanna try my personal pinnacle of apple to date, Evercrisp tops my list. It's one of the "Crisp" varieties, akin to Cosmic Crisp, Honey Crisp, so you're into those types, you'll not have much to lose if you want to try them. And, as good as the ones I had at Aldi in April were, they may have been better straight from the orchard when in season in fall, but the quality was still good enough to not make me immediately think they were obviously out of season.

If you are a fan of Cosmic or Honey - give an Evercrisp a try if you see 'em.
  • Post #90 - January 7th, 2024, 6:53 pm
    Post #90 - January 7th, 2024, 6:53 pm Post #90 - January 7th, 2024, 6:53 pm
    I don't know how or why, but 2 lil fruit markets have had Evercrisps for dirt cheap this week. One place is my every day fruit market down the street, 79c/lb. Another one, out in Naperville, has them for 55c/lb, and they are everything I want them to be. Borderline too sweet, juicy as hell, and most importantly, crunchy, crunchy, crunchy. They remind me of when you get a caramel apple, and you cross your fingers hoping you don't get a soft/mealy apple, and it turns out, the apple is even better than the caramel.

The Evercrisp is still my favorite variety, by a good margin. I won't ever turn down a Honeycrisp, or a Cosmic, but if I had to choose between those 3, I'd pick an Evercrisp every time.

This International Fresh market out in Naperville is weird, internationally tinged, the prices are flat out absurdly cheap, but you might have to work at finding produce that isn't too much past its prime, you'll also find some that appears to be pristine. The apples today were beautiful.

https://www.interfreshmarket.com/

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more