LTH Home

Corona cuisine / Social distancing cooking

Corona cuisine / Social distancing cooking
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 36 of 37
  • Post #1051 - July 29th, 2020, 4:03 pm
    Post #1051 - July 29th, 2020, 4:03 pm Post #1051 - July 29th, 2020, 4:03 pm
    no need to cut them! dry brine them quickly with a rub of kosher salt, sugar, maybe garlic powder or paprika. if they have thick fat, cut the fat perpendicular to the flat chop in a place or two to help them not curl. let them come to room temp before trying to cook. sear in a cast iron skillet on both sides, or grill outside on both sides, cook to 140. if you like, serve with a mayo-caper-worcestershire sauce.
  • Post #1052 - July 29th, 2020, 4:11 pm
    Post #1052 - July 29th, 2020, 4:11 pm Post #1052 - July 29th, 2020, 4:11 pm
    annak wrote:no need to cut them! dry brine them quickly with a rub of kosher salt, sugar, maybe garlic powder or paprika. if they have thick fat, cut the fat perpendicular to the flat chop in a place or two to help them not curl. let them come to room temp before trying to cook. sear in a cast iron skillet on both sides, or grill outside on both sides, cook to 140. if you like, serve with a mayo-caper-worcestershire sauce.

Sounds good. by cook, you mean in the skillet on the stove top?
    The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
  • Post #1053 - July 29th, 2020, 4:16 pm
    Post #1053 - July 29th, 2020, 4:16 pm Post #1053 - July 29th, 2020, 4:16 pm
    annak wrote:no need to cut them! dry brine them quickly with a rub of kosher salt, sugar, maybe garlic powder or paprika. if they have thick fat, cut the fat perpendicular to the flat chop in a place or two to help them not curl. let them come to room temp before trying to cook. sear in a cast iron skillet on both sides, or grill outside on both sides, cook to 140. if you like, serve with a mayo-caper-worcestershire sauce.

Good advice all around. Pat dry before cooking then I'd probably sear stove top then toss in a 375° to finish. Do Not overcook, just below 140 internal temp out to rest, will coast up a few degrees (carry forward cooking) as you let them rest. Be sure to let them rest 7-8 minutes.

Notice I used the word rest a few times. Its an important step many ignore. Carry forward cooking is also often ignored as well.
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

Low & Slow
  • Post #1054 - July 29th, 2020, 4:23 pm
    Post #1054 - July 29th, 2020, 4:23 pm Post #1054 - July 29th, 2020, 4:23 pm
    G Wiv wrote:

Good advice all around. Pat dry before cooking then I'd probably sear stove top then toss in a 375° to finish. Do Not overcook, just below 140 internal temp out to rest, will coast up a few degrees (carry forward cooking) as you let them rest. Be sure to let them rest 7-8 minutes.

Notice I used the word rest a few times. Its an important step many ignore. Carry forward cooking is also often ignored as well.
    Thanks. And yes, resting is important. I may go rest for a few hours myself, but I digress. Any guess as to how long at 375 before I should start checking temp? As an aside, I just got my 2nd copy of your Low and Slow. The first copy is hiding in the house somewhere and hasn't shown its cover in over 2 months.
    The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
  • Post #1055 - July 29th, 2020, 4:40 pm
    Post #1055 - July 29th, 2020, 4:40 pm Post #1055 - July 29th, 2020, 4:40 pm
    Xexo wrote:Any guess as to how long at 375 before I should start checking temp? As an aside, I just got my 2nd copy of your Low and Slow. The first copy is hiding in the house somewhere and hasn't shown its cover in over 2 months.

Hard to give a specific time, sooner than you might think is probably the best answer I can give. Every ovens 375° is different, every piece of pork is different. Your two inches might not be my two inches, just ask my wife. :)

While dry brine works for a quick chop, I prefer two or three hours in a salt/sugar brine. Low & Slow, both books, have brine recipes.

You could also go Top Chef on the chops, sear, then butter herbs spoon spoon butter, flip, spoon spoon, repeat to just under 140°.

If you are a pork chop fan Butcher and Larder in Local foods has a quality bone-in chop special every Wednesday for $5 per big meaty chop. Great pork, great price.
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

Low & Slow
  • Post #1056 - July 29th, 2020, 5:33 pm
    Post #1056 - July 29th, 2020, 5:33 pm Post #1056 - July 29th, 2020, 5:33 pm
    Egg in the Hole action this morning.

Mac SD 65
    Click to enlarge

Egg in the hole, count me a Fan!
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

Low & Slow
  • Post #1057 - July 29th, 2020, 6:29 pm
    Post #1057 - July 29th, 2020, 6:29 pm Post #1057 - July 29th, 2020, 6:29 pm
    Gary,

When I make Toad in the Hole, I start by toasting the bread.

I cut a hole out, then lay the toast in a preheated pan. I melt a pat of butter in the center, the crack an egg in the center. When the egg is cooked to my liking, then a plate it.

How do you do yours?

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #1058 - July 29th, 2020, 7:53 pm
    Post #1058 - July 29th, 2020, 7:53 pm Post #1058 - July 29th, 2020, 7:53 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:How do you do yours?

Pan all the way.
    Cut a hole in the bread, lots of butter in pan med heat.
    Pan fry until golden, flip.
    Butter the hole.
    Crack egg in hole, salt pepper.
    Butter pan, toast other side of cut out bread.
    Cover pan to cook top of egg.
    Plate, eat.

While the egg is cooking the underside gets toasty. Toasting the bread then adding it to the pan seems an unnecessary extra step. Whats next. Toast bread, make hole, cook egg in a ring mold of the same size as hole, assemble.
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

Low & Slow
  • Post #1059 - July 29th, 2020, 11:40 pm
    Post #1059 - July 29th, 2020, 11:40 pm Post #1059 - July 29th, 2020, 11:40 pm
    G Wiv wrote:Egg in the hole, count me a Fan!

Hell, yeah. Very nice! Is that black pepper?

A friend at another board posted about a dish he'd made. Totally out of my comfort zone, I decided to give it a try. It turned out to be a fun and delicious project . . .

Dough Mise
    Not my usual arsenal but at least I had the sesame seeds on hand. ;) A friend who bakes gave me the flours. Some of each of these, plus some water, salt, baking powder and an egg went into the food processor until the dough came together in a "ball." The recipe calls for 1T of psyllium husk powder, so I gave that item a quick buzz in the spice grinder before I measured and incorporated it.

Rolling The Dough
    After the dough formed, I cheated a bit by rolling it out on a piece of parchment paper that I'd cut out to fit the inside of my springform pan. I cannot remember where I got this little dual roller but I've had it for at least 25 years and it's quite useful. The beveled side is especially convenient in round pans.

Placing The Dough
    Once I rolled the dough out, I picked up the entire round of parchment paper and placed it in the pan. And from there I tried to even the dough out in the pan, doing my best to create an edge. The dough probably would have benefited from 30-60 minutes in the fridge before rolling.

Docking The Dough
    A few pokes with a fork are suggested before blind-baking the dough for 10-15 minutes.

Blind-Baked Dough
    Even though I baked it for 15 minutes, as you can see, the color didn't change much.

Next, it was on to the filling . . .

Onions & Konosuke HD2 Western, 210mm
    I bought this knife used from someone who really takes care of his knifes. This was so sharp, it repeatedly stuck in the grains of my board.

Basil & Bob Kramer Chef Knife
    After last week's cilantro 'puree' debacle, I put an edge on this rocker and the basil cut into nice, dry pieces. Basil is not actually in the recipe but our plants are thriving and it seemed appropriate enough to include some.

Ground Beef
    ~2 pounds of Step 1, 80/20 from WF. Zier's does better but WF is much closer to home and I really wanted to make this today.

Beef Cooking
    The recipe says to saute the onions and garlic first but I thought it made more sense to sear the beef first and cook the onions and garlic once some fat had rendered out.

Tomato Paste
    I used the end of a can I'd opened a few days ago. Not sure if it was more or less than the 4T the recipe called for but I think it was close. To this, per the recipe, I eventually added a bit of water, oregano, salt and pepper.

Filling Cooked
    I let it simmer for about 15 minutes until most of the moisture had cooked down. After that, I added the basil.

Now, on to the topping . . .

Cheeses
    Recipe calls for about 200g of grated cheese and 225g of cottage cheese mixed together. I know there was some fontinella in my grated cheese blend but the rest were unmarked in my fridge, so exactly what I grated up will forever remain a mystery. 8-)

Building The Pie
    First, the beef mixture went on top of the par-baked crust in the springform pan. I packed it loosely but evenly. My crust didn't have much of an edge and I was concerned that once this was baked and unringed, it would collapse in an instant beef avalanche.

Building The Pie
    Next, the cheese mixture went on top of the beef. Again, I packed it evenly and not too firmly. Then, into the oven at 350F for 30-40 minutes.

Baked Keto Meat Pie
    I let this bake for about 35 minutes, after which I switched to broil for about 4 minutes to brown the top.

Unringed Keto Meat Pie
    This was quite a dramatic moment because unexpectedly -- especially because it was my first time making it -- the pie held together beautifully. I probably should have greased the inside of the ring because it stuck a bit to the topping. I was able to release it without causing any damage (to pie or pan) by carefully circling around the edge with a paring knife.

Pie's Edge
    Structural integrity? Check! :lol: Rendered fat? Yeah, we've got that, too!

Slice & Salad
    This was really tasty. The family loved it, too. Next time, I'll probably eliminate the coconut flour and make up the difference with additional almond flour. I thought the slight but noticeable coconut aroma it brought to the dish was a bit distracting. Considering all the other flavors here, it seemed out of place. Other than that, I wouldn't change a thing. I really enjoyed cooking out of my comfort zone. Nothing too complicated but a lot of moving parts.

=R=
    By protecting others, you save yourself. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself. --Kambei Shimada

Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #1060 - July 30th, 2020, 1:12 am
    Post #1060 - July 30th, 2020, 1:12 am Post #1060 - July 30th, 2020, 1:12 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Hell, yeah. Very nice! Is that black pepper?

Yes, an abundance of black pepper, freshly ground. Might look like a lot, and it was, though I was in the mood for black pepper and added more black pepper and Maldon as I ate.

ronnie_suburban wrote:Baked Keto Meat Pie

No idea why you are eating Keto. If your thighs were any tauter you would be on the cover of Men's Health.
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

Low & Slow
  • Post #1061 - July 30th, 2020, 1:31 am
    Post #1061 - July 30th, 2020, 1:31 am Post #1061 - July 30th, 2020, 1:31 am
    G Wiv wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Hell, yeah. Very nice! Is that black pepper?

Yes, an abundance of black pepper, freshly ground. Might look like a lot, and it was, though I was in the mood for black pepper and added more as I ate.

ronnie_suburban wrote:Baked Keto Meat Pie

No idea why you are eating Keto. If your thighs were any tauter you would be on the cover of Men's Health.

Lol, not exactly eating keto, as my last several months of posts probably indicate. Just cooking one interesting looking dish to try something new and keep myself occupied.

I like black pepper, too. Can't say I've ever dusted an egg with it like you did but cooking as often as I am, I'm tearing through it at an unprecedented pace these days.

=R=
    By protecting others, you save yourself. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself. --Kambei Shimada

• Post #1062 - July 30th, 2020, 9:00 am
    Post #1062 - July 30th, 2020, 9:00 am Post #1062 - July 30th, 2020, 9:00 am
    G Wiv wrote:Toasting the bread then adding it to the pan seems an unnecessary extra step. Whats next. Toast bread, make hole, cook egg in a ring mold of the same size as hole, assemble.

When I read this the first time, I thought it was you with the ring mold. I then realized you were playing with me.

I tried it the way you described, then found I was having an overcooked egg waiting for the bread to be what I wanted. I toasted to give a jump start.

Thanks for the information and the great idea to approach picture perfection. I do have ring molds, so I may do it as you describe someday for the fun of it.

Thanks!

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #1063 - July 30th, 2020, 9:28 am
    Post #1063 - July 30th, 2020, 9:28 am Post #1063 - July 30th, 2020, 9:28 am
    Cathy2 wrote:I do have ring molds, so I may do it as you describe someday for the fun of it.

I was kidding, lot of steps to cook an egg. What's next, Ronnie going Keto? Oh, wait . . .
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

Low & Slow
  • Post #1064 - July 30th, 2020, 9:49 am
    Post #1064 - July 30th, 2020, 9:49 am Post #1064 - July 30th, 2020, 9:49 am
    G Wiv wrote:
    Cathy2 wrote:I do have ring molds, so I may do it as you describe someday for the fun of it.

I was kidding, lot of steps to cook an egg. What's next, Ronnie going Keto? Oh, wait . . .

Oh, just stop it, lol! :D

=R=

• Post #1065 - July 30th, 2020, 7:34 pm
    Post #1065 - July 30th, 2020, 7:34 pm Post #1065 - July 30th, 2020, 7:34 pm
    G Wiv wrote:What's next, Ronnie going Keto? Oh, wait . . .

With apologies to the Gar-Bear, I'm not sure but I think I may have unintentionally backed into another keto-friendly dinner tonight, though this one required fewer steps than last night's Keto Meat Pie . . . :D

Golden Oyster Mushrooms
    I was very fortunate to get ahold of some beautiful, locally-foraged golden oyster mushrooms.

Cooked Mushrooms
    This was super quick . . . brief, high heat in evoo/butter with one tiny clove of crushed garlic, salt and pepper. They were ready in moments, with a delicious, meaty flavor. I believe the Mushroom Police would approve. :D

Hanger Steaks & Little Baby Zucchinis
    These little guys were just too cute to do anything but cook them whole.

Little Baby Zucchinis
    Evoo, salt and pepper . . . grilled for about 10 minutes, covered, on the indirect side. Definitely a lazy prep but it worked out nicely. They were tender and a bit sweet but not mushy at all.

Hanger Steak & Moritaka AS Gyuto, 210mm
    A 10-minute rest and then on to slicing.

Plated Up
    Hanger Steak, Baby Zucchini and Golden Oyster Mushrooms.

=R=

• Post #1066 - July 30th, 2020, 8:07 pm
    Post #1066 - July 30th, 2020, 8:07 pm Post #1066 - July 30th, 2020, 8:07 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    Hanger Steak & Moritaka AS Gyuto,

=R=

Looks delicious Mr. Suburban! Yum.

How do you like the knife?
  • Post #1067 - July 30th, 2020, 8:18 pm
    Post #1067 - July 30th, 2020, 8:18 pm Post #1067 - July 30th, 2020, 8:18 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:unintentionally backed into another keto-friendly dinner tonight

~Sigh~ Just jealous I guess, congrats on sticking with the healthy eating plan.

I went decidedly non keto, Dan Dan Noodle tonight.

Dan Dan Noodle, count me a Fan!
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

Low & Slow
  • Post #1068 - July 30th, 2020, 8:27 pm
    Post #1068 - July 30th, 2020, 8:27 pm Post #1068 - July 30th, 2020, 8:27 pm
    G Wiv wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:unintentionally backed into another keto-friendly dinner tonight

~Sigh~ Just jealous I guess, congrats on sticking with the healthy eating plan.

I went decidedly non keto, Dan Dan Noodle tonight.

Dan Dan Noodle, count me a Fan!

Lol, did you miss the breakfast sandwiches, potato salad, rice and endless cookies I've been baking? My only plan has been to cook what I want.

Your dan dan looks tremendous and truly inspires food envy!

=R=

• Post #1069 - July 30th, 2020, 8:40 pm
    Post #1069 - July 30th, 2020, 8:40 pm Post #1069 - July 30th, 2020, 8:40 pm
    Xexo wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    Hanger Steak & Moritaka AS Gyuto,

=R=

Looks delicious Mr. Suburban! Yum.

How do you like the knife?

Thanks. I love it but I haven't owned it very long. Need more vegetable & board time with it, for sure.

=R=

• Post #1070 - July 31st, 2020, 8:22 am
    Post #1070 - July 31st, 2020, 8:22 am Post #1070 - July 31st, 2020, 8:22 am
    We got a bunch of Japanese eggplant in our CSA last week and needed to use them. I decided on the Szechwan Eggplant Stir-Fry found on the Food Network page. I couldn't find a red chile on my dash into the store so used half a jalapeno.

Ready to prep! The knife is a family heirloom. Don't be jealous.

Ready to cook!

Final product! (including the knife I really used)

Served over jasmine rice, this was a decent dish. It was perked up with a drizzle of GWiv chili oil that we're slowly making our way through. I think the red chile it called for would have upped the heat level. This was an easy way to use up the eggplant.
    -Mary
  • Post #1071 - July 31st, 2020, 8:51 am
    Post #1071 - July 31st, 2020, 8:51 am Post #1071 - July 31st, 2020, 8:51 am
    Hi,

Via cookbook club, I found a new use for Japanese (or probably any type) eggplant from Senegal: Salata Aswad.

It is a dish of eggplant, tomatoes and peanut butter. It is intended as a salad or spread on bread like a sandwich.

Jazzfood has been advocating cooking mushrooms in water initially. As the mushrooms cook and the water evaporates, then add a few tablespoons of water at the end to brown.

I took that approach to cooking the eggplant, because eggplant like mushrooms tends to absorb the oil quickly. Plus I was not willing to fry eggplant in two inches of oil.

It is something to consider when you have a lot of eggplant to cook.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

• Post #1072 - July 31st, 2020, 8:54 am
    Post #1072 - July 31st, 2020, 8:54 am Post #1072 - July 31st, 2020, 8:54 am
    The GP wrote:Final product! (including the knife I really used)

Good looking dish, good looking knives, both of them :)

Knife porn, count me a Fan!
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

Low & Slow
  • Post #1073 - July 31st, 2020, 7:06 pm
    Post #1073 - July 31st, 2020, 7:06 pm Post #1073 - July 31st, 2020, 7:06 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:Hi,

Via cookbook club, I found a new use for Japanese (or probably any type) eggplant from Senegal: Salata Aswad.

It is a dish of eggplant, tomatoes and peanut butter. It is intended as a salad or spread on bread like a sandwich.

Jazzfood has been advocating cooking mushrooms in water initially. As the mushrooms cook and the water evaporates, then add a few tablespoons of water at the end to brown.

I took that approach to cooking the eggplant, because eggplant like mushrooms tends to absorb the oil quickly. Plus I was not willing to fry eggplant in two inches of oil.

It is something to consider when you have a lot of eggplant to cook.

Regards,
    CAthy2

I just bought some Japanese eggplant and baby oyster mushrooms at Joong Boo, I may be following your footsteps.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #1074 - August 2nd, 2020, 1:57 pm
    Post #1074 - August 2nd, 2020, 1:57 pm Post #1074 - August 2nd, 2020, 1:57 pm
    Leftovers breakfast . . .

Oyster Mushroom, Sauteed Onion, Provolone & Swiss Omelet

Mushrooms, onions and sausages (don't even get me started on these) were all left over from meals I made earlier in the week. Still grating away at a couple of chunks of cheese that have been around for a while, too. Feels good to use this stuff up before it disappears into the back-of-the-fridge abyss forever. :)

=R=

• Post #1075 - August 2nd, 2020, 2:33 pm
    Post #1075 - August 2nd, 2020, 2:33 pm Post #1075 - August 2nd, 2020, 2:33 pm
    Bride went with a neighbor to a western burb flea market/farmers market. Came home with cheese, fruit, corn, assorted other veg. Plus good bread and radishes.

Click image to enlarge

Radish, bread, butter, Maldon salt, count me a Fan!
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

Low & Slow
  • Post #1076 - August 2nd, 2020, 3:10 pm
    Post #1076 - August 2nd, 2020, 3:10 pm Post #1076 - August 2nd, 2020, 3:10 pm
    Inspiration courtesy of Mr. Wiviott, potato galette topped with smoked salmon and sour cream, with a side of tomato salad.

• Post #1077 - August 2nd, 2020, 3:26 pm
    Post #1077 - August 2nd, 2020, 3:26 pm Post #1077 - August 2nd, 2020, 3:26 pm
    lougord99 wrote:Inspiration courtesy of Mr. Wiviott, potato galette topped with smoked salmon and sour cream, with a side of tomato salad.

Nice!

=R=

• Post #1078 - August 2nd, 2020, 4:03 pm
    Post #1078 - August 2nd, 2020, 4:03 pm Post #1078 - August 2nd, 2020, 4:03 pm
    lougord99 wrote:Inspiration courtesy of Mr. Wiviott, potato galette topped with smoked salmon and sour cream, with a side of tomato salad.

Nice, very very nice!
    One minute to Wapner.
    Raymond Babbitt

Low & Slow
  • Post #1079 - August 2nd, 2020, 4:50 pm
    Post #1079 - August 2nd, 2020, 4:50 pm Post #1079 - August 2nd, 2020, 4:50 pm
    G Wiv wrote:Radish, bread, butter, Maldon salt, count me a Fan!

Classique old school! :)

=R=

• Post #1080 - August 2nd, 2020, 6:43 pm
    Post #1080 - August 2nd, 2020, 6:43 pm Post #1080 - August 2nd, 2020, 6:43 pm
    After completing a few non-culinary projects around the house, I started feeling lazy at the end of the afternoon, so I went with this dinner instead of the one I had originally envisioned, which would have taken considerably more time and effort. So, while it wasn't exactly Groundhog's Day it felt a bit like Coronatime Grilled Chicken, Sauteed Mushroom and Corn on the Cob Dinner #1,237 . . .

Creminis & Anryu Blue #2 Hammered Gyuto, 210mm
    I'm not normally a fan of oval handles but this one feels good and locks nicely into my hand even when it's a bit wet.

Creminis
    As is tradition, sauteed with garlic, homemade demiglace and red wine. Garnished with chives.

Chicken Thighs Grilling
    Many thighs (the wife wanted ample leftovers this week) and a relatively small fire, these took about 27 minutes covered on the indirect side. :shock: This was more than enough for all of us and then . . . lunches for the rest of the week (but hopefully, not for me! :D)

Plated Up
    With buttered, Mirai bi-color sweet corn and creminis. I do love that instant-potted corn. Two minutes on high pressure and you're unlocking one of the best uses of the device, especially if you like your kernels taut! :D

=R=

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events