LTH Home

Corona cuisine / Social distancing cooking

Corona cuisine / Social distancing cooking
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 43 of 45
  • Post #1261 - September 13th, 2020, 3:01 pm
    Post #1261 - September 13th, 2020, 3:01 pm Post #1261 - September 13th, 2020, 3:01 pm
    Per some discussion on the recent pickling thread, I received a few small cucumbers in this week's CSA box and rather than make more pickles, I decided to give Smacked Cucumbers a try . . .

Cucumbers & Dexter Cleaver
    After they're washed and trimmed at both ends, the cucumbers are smacked then sliced, to help them take on the flavors of the dressing ingredients. But before that, they're dusted with salt and allowed to drain their excess moisture. I received this cleaver as a gift many years ago. I don't use it much but coming in at 1140g, it was the perfect tool for smacking! :D

Salted & Drained Cucumbers
    Minced garlic in one little bowl and a combination of soy sauce, Chinese vinegar, chili oil, sugar and toasted sesame oil in the other.

Smacked Cucumbers
    Everything mixed together, they are pretty darned good. I let them sit in the salt for about an hour but I might extend that next time to increase the flavor intensity.

=R=
    By protecting others, you save yourself. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself. --Kambei Shimada

Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #1262 - September 13th, 2020, 7:07 pm
    Post #1262 - September 13th, 2020, 7:07 pm Post #1262 - September 13th, 2020, 7:07 pm
    Here's a nicer shot of the smacked cucumbers . . .

Smacked Cucumbers

These got better as the day went on. In fact, I'd intended to serve them with dinner but magically, they disappeared before then.

For dinner, it was roasted leg of lamb, which is something I rarely make but I'm trying to mix it up as much as I can . . .

Purple Potatoes & Baby Onions
    The potatoes were from our Nichols Farm CSA box. The onions, a beautiful variety of yellow, red and white babies, were from Three Sisters Garden. Lightly oiled and seasoned, I used these as the roasting bed for the lamb.

Boneless Leg Of Lamb
    This came from Costco in an elastic net but I removed that so I could prep it.

Seasoned Leg Of Lamb
    Made a paste of evoo, garlic, kosher salt, oregano, thyme, red chili flakes and black pepper, which I spread all over the interior of the roast.

Trussed Leg Of Lamb
    Now I see why it came with an elastic net on it. Boned out, it's an unevenly shaped cut, so while my tying job wasn't pretty, it got the job done. Once the inside was covered with the paste and the leg was tied up, I spread the rest of the paste around the exterior, then augmented that with some additional salt and dried oregano. After that, I placed the lamb atop the potatoes and onions and into the oven it went (at 350F).

Roasted Leg Of Lamb
    Cooked it to 130F internal, which took about 2.5 hours. As you can see, it rendered quite a bit of fat. I separated the juices from the fat and used them to make a gravy.

Lamb Fat Roux
    To thicken the gravy, I combined the rendered fat with flour and made a roux. There was a lot of it, so all but a couple tablespoons of this got vacuum-sealed and went into the freezer for future use.

Roasted Leg Of Lamb & Konosuke Fujiyama Blue #2 Sujihiki, Ebony, 270mm
    Had to be careful using this knife on a poly board but the happily, it went fine. The roast was really tender and just too juicy to cut on my wood board.

Plated Up
    Roasted leg of lamb with pan gravy, roasted potatoes & onions and Mrs. Suburban's leftover tomatoey-garlickly okra, which tied the whole meal together! :D

=R=
    By protecting others, you save yourself. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself. --Kambei Shimada

• Post #1263 - September 13th, 2020, 10:02 pm
    Post #1263 - September 13th, 2020, 10:02 pm Post #1263 - September 13th, 2020, 10:02 pm
    Hi,

Most leg of lambs are overcooked and grey, your's looks like one we would like.

Julia Child was my leg of lamb cooking influencer. She would stud the entire leg of lamb with garlic cloves, rub with soy sauce and finish with (olive?) oil. This was roasted to rare to medium rare, rather than fully cooked like you see many other places.

Mom, Dad and I are the lamb lovers. Everyone else is quite displeased it might be served and spend their time talking us out of it. Julia Child would make a curry from the leftover lamb as well as Scotch Broth.

One sister likes her meat cooked very, very well. When we had guests over with lamb served, she asked if they wanted it raw (like I cooked it) or cooked (when she would then nuke it to death).

Your meal looked terrific and gets me in the mood for a substantial lamb meal.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #1264 - September 13th, 2020, 10:18 pm
    Post #1264 - September 13th, 2020, 10:18 pm Post #1264 - September 13th, 2020, 10:18 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:Most leg of lambs are overcooked and grey, your's looks like one we would like.

Julia Child was my leg of lamb cooking influencer. She would stud the entire leg of lamb with garlic cloves, rub with soy sauce and finish with (olive?) oil. This was roasted to rare to medium rare, rather than fully cooked like you see many other places.

Mom, Dad and I are the lamb lovers. Everyone else is quite displeased it might be served and spend their time talking us out of it. Julia Child would make a curry from the leftover lamb as well as Scotch Broth.

One sister likes her meat cooked very, very well. When we had guests over with lamb served, she asked if they wanted it raw (like I cooked it) or cooked (when she would then nuke it to death).

Your meal looked terrific and gets me in the mood for a substantial lamb meal.

Thanks, Cathy. I think with lamb it goes best in one of two ways. Either roasted or grilled to medium-rare/rare or braised until falling off the bone. As you say, some types of overcooking can lead to that undesirable mineral-forward taste that no one seems to like.

I think ours turned out fine and because of how fatty is was, it was plenty moist but it carried over 15+ degrees -- and that was without any tenting. When I do it again, I'll pull it at 120-125F, instead of 130. It was a big haunch and having been cooked at 350F, it had quite a bit of momentum.

=R=

• Post #1265 - September 14th, 2020, 8:42 am
    Post #1265 - September 14th, 2020, 8:42 am Post #1265 - September 14th, 2020, 8:42 am
    we enjoyed picking veg at an indiana farm yesterday, including several eggplants. anyone have excellent eggplant ideas? we've gotten good at replicating the delicious urban belly eggplant, and was it upthread someone was excited about the always good smitten kitchen's stuffed eggplant...but any other brainstorming folks want to do very welcome!
  • Post #1266 - September 14th, 2020, 8:49 am
    Post #1266 - September 14th, 2020, 8:49 am Post #1266 - September 14th, 2020, 8:49 am
    annak wrote:we enjoyed picking veg at an indiana farm yesterday, including several eggplants. anyone have excellent eggplant ideas? we've gotten good at replicating the delicious urban belly eggplant, and was it upthread someone was excited about the always good smitten kitchen's stuffed eggplant...but any other brainstorming folks want to do very welcome!

annak-

I can attest to the goodness of the Smitten Kitchen recipe. :-)
    -Mary
  • Post #1267 - September 14th, 2020, 12:23 pm
    Post #1267 - September 14th, 2020, 12:23 pm Post #1267 - September 14th, 2020, 12:23 pm
    The GP wrote:
    annak wrote:we enjoyed picking veg at an indiana farm yesterday, including several eggplants. anyone have excellent eggplant ideas? we've gotten good at replicating the delicious urban belly eggplant, and was it upthread someone was excited about the always good smitten kitchen's stuffed eggplant...but any other brainstorming folks want to do very welcome!

annak-

I can attest to the goodness of the Smitten Kitchen recipe. :-)

When I was about to try this last week, I discovered that my eggplants had frozen in the back of my refrigerator. :( :x So, I decided to wait for a fresh batch before giving it a whirl. Hoping that will happen later this week. That said, I really love the Broiled Eggplant, Shrimp and Egg Salad that I documented here.

For all the countless negatives, coronatime has resulted in newly-acquired access to a windfall of wild, locally-foraged mushrooms. Recently, I was fortunate enough to have a bounty of my favorites, Hen Of The Woods, delivered to my door . . .

Hen Of The Woods Mushroom
    This one was huge, around 2 pounds.

Mushroom Press
    This rare and sophisticated device does a nice job cooking the mushrooms. Evoo, salt, pepper and gravity.

Cooked Up
    Crispy on the outside and tender on the inside

Onions & Tanaka Blue #2 Nashiji Gyuto, 210mm
    Came up with an idea that was going to need some grilled onions.

Hen Of The Woods Mushroom Sandwich
    With provolone, grilled onions, mayonnaise and dijon mustard on buttercrust white toast.

=R=

• Post #1268 - September 14th, 2020, 12:48 pm
    Post #1268 - September 14th, 2020, 12:48 pm Post #1268 - September 14th, 2020, 12:48 pm
    These are my two favorite eggplant recipes. If you have all of the rest of the ingredients, including tomatoes, zucchini, onions and peppers, I happen to love ratatouille. My recipe calls for two eggplant, 2 pounds of tomatoes, 2 zucchini, 2 peppers and one large onion. I don't make it very often because I don't have all of the ingredients, and plus it takes a while to fix, but I used to fix it when I was overrun with tomatoes in my garden one year, and had a zucchini plant that supplied me with tons of zucchini. It is hard to get rid of zucchini. People either don't like it or don't know what to do with it.

I also love to make babaganosh, which is a lot easier to make than ratatouille is, and calls for two eggplants, tahini, and lemon juice.
  • Post #1269 - September 14th, 2020, 1:07 pm
    Post #1269 - September 14th, 2020, 1:07 pm Post #1269 - September 14th, 2020, 1:07 pm

Depending on the kind of eggplant you have, here are the dishes we make most often:

Chinese/Japanese/long:

Fish-flavor eggplant (yu xiang qie zi) — probably make this the most and can eat it every day

Thai grilled eggplant salad (yam makeua yao) — what Ronnie recommends; sometimes add in minced pork if I’m feeling fancy

Italian/fat:

Ottolenghi’s stuffed eggplant from Jerusalem — very similar to keema baingan (which we also do sometimes), just fantastic

Alinazik (lamb over smoked eggplant mixed with yogurt) — just finished it last week, actually; is there a huge difference between this and hünkar beğendi?
  • Post #1270 - September 14th, 2020, 2:21 pm
    Post #1270 - September 14th, 2020, 2:21 pm Post #1270 - September 14th, 2020, 2:21 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Hen Of The Woods Mushroom Sandwich

Good golly Miss Molly, that is a Hell of a Sandwich!

Kudos on the mushroom press, I saw a similar, but not the same, antique duck press in the Latin Quarter on a visit circa 2023. It went for $3200, all gleaming brass with a jade handle on the screw press.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #1271 - September 14th, 2020, 3:34 pm
    Post #1271 - September 14th, 2020, 3:34 pm Post #1271 - September 14th, 2020, 3:34 pm
    G Wiv wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Hen Of The Woods Mushroom Sandwich

Good golly Miss Molly, that is a Hell of a Sandwich!

Kudos on the mushroom press, I saw a similar, but not the same, antique duck press in the Latin Quarter on a visit circa 2023. It went for $3200, all gleaming brass with a jade handle on the screw press.

That's my backup but it's a Safe Queen. :P

=R=

• Post #1272 - September 14th, 2020, 5:14 pm
    Post #1272 - September 14th, 2020, 5:14 pm Post #1272 - September 14th, 2020, 5:14 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:For all the countless negatives, coronatime has resulted in newly-acquired access to a windfall of wild, locally-foraged mushrooms. Recently, I was fortunate enough to have a bounty of my favorites, Hen Of The Woods, delivered to my door . . .

Hen Of The Woods Mushroom
    This one was huge, around 2 pounds.
    =R=

Really nice looking specimen there. Delicious looking sandwich too. By my estimation that must be from at least a few hours north, my spots around here won't usually produce until end of Sept earliest.

Not to pry too much, foragers code, but it sounds like your recent fungal fortunes are related to a coronatime mushroom delivery hustle?
  • Post #1273 - September 14th, 2020, 8:10 pm
    Post #1273 - September 14th, 2020, 8:10 pm Post #1273 - September 14th, 2020, 8:10 pm
    Jefe wrote:Really nice looking specimen there. Delicious looking sandwich too. By my estimation that must be from at least a few hours north, my spots around here won't usually produce until end of Sept earliest.

Not to pry too much, foragers code, but it sounds like your recent fungal fortunes are related to a coronatime mushroom delivery hustle?

Pry away. As Sergeant Schultz would say, "I know nothing." :D Honestly, I only have hunches on either count and I don't ask any questions. This particular forager is a friend of friend who always gets in touch by email and whom I've never met in person. I don't know where she hunts. I think this is an ongoing thing for her and that in "normal" times she supplies restaurants. But it may be that it was formerly a hobby and is now a coronatime side-hustle. I just don't know. Other foragers from whom I've sourced during the past few months are definitely restaurant suppliers in normal times. I know this because it was the restaurant owners who made the connections. In any event, I try not to gape past the lips of fungus-bearing equines. ;)

For dinner tonight, I had some expiring shrimp and ground pork (as well as a bunch of applicable vegetables) and decided, for whatever reason, that egg rolls would be a good idea. I'd never done this before . . .

Mise En Place & Tanaka Blue #2 Nashiji Gyuto, 210mm
    Everything except the oyster sauce, which stayed in the fridge until mix time. Leek, scallions, cabbage, carrots, ground pork, shrimp (later diced), eggs, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, bean sprouts, rehydrated glass noodles (draining here, later cut into bits), soy sauce, toasted sesame oil.

Finished Filling
    For this one, I put on a pair of lab gloves and did it by hand. Once mixed, I covered this and let it sit for a couple of hours.

Filling The Wrappers
    My primary source of guidance on this advised using just about 2 tablespoons of filling per roll. However, being impatient, it didn't take long before I was trying to cram more than than into each roll (which actually worked out fine). Beaten egg was used as the binder.

In the end, we got 33 egg rolls . . . these 27, plus 6 more on a separate cookie sheet.

Frying The Egg Rolls
    Peanut oil, 350F. I was able to cook 7 or 8 per round, since no two were the exact same size or shape.

Eggrolls
    Not a bad result for a first-time effort.

Plated Up
    With a hot oil-garlic-soy-scallion dipping sauce and rice with some of the excess vegetables that didn't make it into the filling.

=R=

• Post #1274 - September 14th, 2020, 8:35 pm
    Post #1274 - September 14th, 2020, 8:35 pm Post #1274 - September 14th, 2020, 8:35 pm
    no peanut butter?
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #1275 - September 14th, 2020, 11:21 pm
    Post #1275 - September 14th, 2020, 11:21 pm Post #1275 - September 14th, 2020, 11:21 pm
    Jazzfood wrote:no peanut butter?

LOL . . . no peanut butter.

=R=

• Post #1276 - September 14th, 2020, 11:31 pm
    Post #1276 - September 14th, 2020, 11:31 pm Post #1276 - September 14th, 2020, 11:31 pm
    Hi,

Many for Passover spent their time at home and interacting with family and friends via zoom.

How are people planning to spend the High Holidays coming up quickly? Home with immediate family or ?

I am really curious, because it will give an idea of how Thanksgiving may be spent.

Thanks for any insight.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #1277 - September 15th, 2020, 12:47 am
    Post #1277 - September 15th, 2020, 12:47 am Post #1277 - September 15th, 2020, 12:47 am

So weird, I thought the exact same thing.

Ronnie, looks great, even without peanut butter. :) Classic egg rolls, far as I understand, have chicken skin in them, both for flavor and extender, plus no waste. I wonder how egg rolls would be with chicharrones. Pretty damn good, I'd guess.

I have an unfulfilled longing for egg rolls. Last one I had at Skokie Grill was unsatisfying. I'd give a lot to be able to pop over to Kow Kow for lunch with Steve Z and a brace of egg rolls.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #1278 - September 15th, 2020, 5:30 am
    Post #1278 - September 15th, 2020, 5:30 am Post #1278 - September 15th, 2020, 5:30 am
    Cathy2 wrote:Hi,

Many for Passover spent their time at home and interacting with family and friends via zoom.

How are people planning to spend the High Holidays coming up quickly? Home with immediate family or ?

I am really curious, because it will give an idea of how Thanksgiving may be spent.

Thanks for any insight.

Regards,
    Cathy2

Rosh Hashanah & Yom Kippur = services streaming at home with Merle. Breaking Fast at a socially distant outdoor gathering at a friend’s house weather permitting.
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #1279 - September 15th, 2020, 5:32 am
    Post #1279 - September 15th, 2020, 5:32 am Post #1279 - September 15th, 2020, 5:32 am
    G Wiv wrote:

Ronnie, looks great, even without peanut butter. :) Classic egg rolls, far as I understand, have chicken skin in them, both for flavor and extender, plus no waste. I wonder how egg rolls would be with chicharrones. Pretty damn good, I'd guess.

I have an unfulfilled longing for egg rolls. Last one I had at Skokie Grill was unsatisfying. I'd give a lot to be able to pop over to Kow Kow for lunch with Steve Z and a brace of egg rolls.

Zip over to China Chef. They’re doing a great job with carry out.
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #1280 - September 15th, 2020, 12:26 pm
    Post #1280 - September 15th, 2020, 12:26 pm Post #1280 - September 15th, 2020, 12:26 pm
    G Wiv wrote:

You and me both. I miss him tremendously and would give a lot to eat anywhere with him. :cry:

As for my egg rolls, I didn't avoid peanut butter but I've always thought of it as a hack that wasn't needed if one had everything on hand to make the filling (especially toasted sesame oil). So, when it didn't come up in several recipes I checked, I didn't dig any deeper. Also, since there was no chicken in my egg rolls, adding chicken skin would have been problematic, unless you count egg shells as chicken skin! :D

=R=

• Post #1281 - September 15th, 2020, 1:00 pm
    Post #1281 - September 15th, 2020, 1:00 pm Post #1281 - September 15th, 2020, 1:00 pm
    I have Louisa's recipe if you want it
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #1282 - September 16th, 2020, 6:04 pm
    Post #1282 - September 16th, 2020, 6:04 pm Post #1282 - September 16th, 2020, 6:04 pm
    Enjoying our leftover leg of lamb . . .

Leg Of Lamb Sandwiches
    Thinly-sliced legmeat, toasted sub roll, tsatziki-esque sauce, homemade okonomiyaki sauce (a leftover from way back), crumbed feta, red onion, lamb gravy, olive oil & red wine vinegar-dressed iceberg lettuce.

=R=

• Post #1283 - September 16th, 2020, 6:31 pm
    Post #1283 - September 16th, 2020, 6:31 pm Post #1283 - September 16th, 2020, 6:31 pm
    adventures with our apple-picking haul: apple braised chicken with sherry and dijon.

i tried to upload a photo, as i did yesterday on a different post too, and both times after clicking the upload the browser reloaded with just a blank screen. was there a site update or safari update that makes the two incompatible now?
  • Post #1284 - September 16th, 2020, 6:58 pm
    Post #1284 - September 16th, 2020, 6:58 pm Post #1284 - September 16th, 2020, 6:58 pm
    annak wrote:adventures with our apple-picking haul: apple braised chicken with sherry and dijon.

i tried to upload a photo, as i did yesterday on a different post too, and both times after clicking the upload the browser reloaded with just a blank screen. was there a site update or safari update that makes the two incompatible now?

No, it's an ongoing issue and a fix is in the works but it's a larger-scale remedy, so it's taking a while. Images will still display if uploaded to an outside server and linked here. Of, if you email your images to me me, I can upload the images for you and send you back links to embed in your post. PM me for my email address if you don't already have it.

Btw, how did your pajeon turn out?

=R=

• Post #1285 - September 17th, 2020, 11:14 pm
    Post #1285 - September 17th, 2020, 11:14 pm Post #1285 - September 17th, 2020, 11:14 pm
    In honor of the US Open, it was a 'right down the middle of the fairway' steakhouse-style dinner tonight . . .

Shallots & Konosuke HD Petty, ebony, 120mm
    . . . And miles to go before I sleep. Both planned side dishes contain shallots, plus thanks to our CSA farm, we're long on them.

Mushrooms & Saji G3 Ginsan Nakiri, 165mm
    Brand new nakiri, which I'm trying out right now. I'm determined to get familiar with this type of blade, which is one I use very rarely.

Shallot Flambe'!
    Hot times over at Chez Suburban! :) Sauteed shallots and Laird's 100 proof apple brandy. I poured the brandy into the pan while it was well away from the burner. Once the bottle was closed up and stowed, I gently tipped the pan over the burner and . . . whooosh! The flames burned for about 30 seconds (or maybe it just seemed that long).

Sauteed Cremini Mushrooms With Flambe'd Shallots
    Trying to put at least a little twist on a dish we have a lot around here. Generally, I think the family prefers them the way I usually make them with red, garlic and demiglace but that's not nearly as dramatic. :lol:

Oiled and Seasoned NY Strips
    More closely trimmed than I would have liked but very nicely marbled.

NY Strips Grilling
    About 30 seconds over the coals on each side (twice) to mark them and then over to the indirect side, covered, until they were finished. I pulled these when the center steak reached 110F.

NY Strips, Grilled
    Ready for their 10-12 minute rest.

Potatoes Romanov
    Baked, chilled and grated russet potatoes, grated sharp white cheddar, sour cream, minced shallots (raw), salt, black, white and cayenne pepper. Garnished with chives and a touch more cayenne. The core ingredients are all fluffed together using two forks, then baked, to mimic the interior of a twice-baked potato. I'd never made these before but I will definitely be making them again. They were delicious and truly a crowd pleaser.

Plated Up
    NY Strip, potatoes Romanov, and sauteed mushrooms with flambe'd shallots.

=R=

• Post #1286 - September 18th, 2020, 7:24 am
    Post #1286 - September 18th, 2020, 7:24 am Post #1286 - September 18th, 2020, 7:24 am
    Steaks look awesome! I'm gonna try that potato dish this weekend, looks like a winner!
  • Post #1287 - September 18th, 2020, 7:56 am
    Post #1287 - September 18th, 2020, 7:56 am Post #1287 - September 18th, 2020, 7:56 am
    HonestMan wrote:Steaks look awesome! I'm gonna try that potato dish this weekend, looks like a winner!

Potatoes Romanov tickled my taste bone as well. Going to make in the upcoming week.

Who da thunk Ronnie would turn into our very own LTH Julia Child meets Iron Chef meets Jacques Pepin. With a dash of Yan can Cook and his blazing twin Chinese cleavers. :)
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #1288 - September 19th, 2020, 12:25 pm
    Post #1288 - September 19th, 2020, 12:25 pm Post #1288 - September 19th, 2020, 12:25 pm
    Brunchtime . . .

Mushroom, Onion & Cheddar Omelet, etc.
    Used up some leftover sauteed mushrooms in the omelet. Homemade kurobuta bacon, leftover potatoes Romanov "cakes" and toasted country boule.

=R=

• Post #1289 - September 19th, 2020, 3:19 pm
    Post #1289 - September 19th, 2020, 3:19 pm Post #1289 - September 19th, 2020, 3:19 pm
    Fusia Dunlop's dry fried beef.

Image Thin sliced beef against the grain, here I have used hanger steak. Use a vegetable peeler to skim off the back of the celery and slice long ways into several pieces and then cross ways into small chunks. Add a little salt to the celery to draw off water. Sichuan peppercorns dry fried in a sauce pan and then ground to a powder in the mortar. Ginger cut into matchsticks. Scallions thick sliced. Pixian broad bean paste ( https://www.amazon.com/Premium-Pixian-B ... 23&sr=8-71). Toasted sesame oil. Chinkiang Chinese vinegar.

Image Pour a bunch of oil ( doesn't matter how much as it will be left behind when served ) into a wok and bring up to medium temp. Add beef. As beef starts to cook, it will release a lot of liquid and turn everything brown and ugly. Just keep cooking ( about 10 minutes ) until all liquid has boiled off and beef starts to brown in oil. Add a little vinegar and continue to cook until it completely cooks off.

ImagePull beef up to the side of the pan and turn down the heat. Let cool for a minute and add pixian. Thoroughly mix into oil and cook on lower heat for 30-60 seconds. Push beef back into the oil mixture. Add ginger and scallions and cook for 1 minute. Add celery and cook for 1 minute. Pull the entire mixture up the side of the pan and let it set for 30-60 seconds until oil has drained out. Add peppercorns and sesame oil and mix together without pulling to much oil into mixture.

Image Serve on rice with a little of the oil mixture spooned over the top.
    Last edited by lougord99 on September 19th, 2020, 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #1290 - September 19th, 2020, 3:34 pm
    Post #1290 - September 19th, 2020, 3:34 pm Post #1290 - September 19th, 2020, 3:34 pm
    'She Simmers' Burmese ( maybe ) chicken. ( https://shesimmers.com/2009/04/burmese- ... maybe.html). One of our favorites from She Simmers. If you haven't checked her out, you need to do so.

ImageBone in, skin on chicken thighs. Cook in a little oil skin side down until well browned. Turn thighs over and spoon most of the fat out of the pan. Make a sauce of fish sauce, soy sauce, turmeric, brown sugar, wine ground coriander, corn starch and water. and pour over thighs. Strew LOTS of ginger match sticks and thin sliced garlic and cover for 20 minutes. Strew thin sliced onions and cover for 20 minutes. Serve over rice.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more