LTH Home

Corona cuisine / Social distancing cooking

Corona cuisine / Social distancing cooking
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 67 of 68
  • Post #1981 - March 25th, 2021, 8:49 am
    Post #1981 - March 25th, 2021, 8:49 am Post #1981 - March 25th, 2021, 8:49 am
    I want to share my semi-fail from last night. In an effort to use more from the freezer, I had pulled out a package of lingcod burger meat from our Sitka share. Intrigued by a this recipe for halibut kefta a la marocaine, dinner was set.

Mr. X helped with the meal (which honestly doesn't happen very often. ;-) ) He was in charge of making the sauce. I dealt with the fish/rice mixture. The recipe called for a pound of fresh or or a 28 oz can of whole tomatoes, seeded, skinned and diced. Not having either on hand, I pulled out a 14 oz can of diced tomatoes. Neither one of us noticed they were crushed, not diced. Mr. X was in a rush to get the tomatoes in the pan and didn't say anything. Fine, the sauce will be thicker than it should be. A last minute add was a cup of frozen, blanched kale from our CSA.

As for the kefta, I had a hard time forming the mixture into 1-1.5 inch balls, even after following the suggestion to add an egg and bread crumbs. I suspect the fish still had too much moisture. I managed to get six roundish blobs on a tray and refrigerated them for about 15 minutes before placing them in the sauce to cook.

The result was decent but I think we would have liked the sauce to be, uh, saucier. We have one more package of this "burger" meat and will probably find a different recipe to try (and hopefully not mess up.)

-Mary
  • Post #1982 - March 25th, 2021, 11:02 am
    Post #1982 - March 25th, 2021, 11:02 am Post #1982 - March 25th, 2021, 11:02 am
    The GP wrote:The result was decent but

I'd eat that! Any leftovers?
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #1983 - March 25th, 2021, 11:10 am
    Post #1983 - March 25th, 2021, 11:10 am Post #1983 - March 25th, 2021, 11:10 am
    G Wiv wrote:I'd eat that! Any leftovers?

You'll have to arm wrestle Mr. X for them. :lol:
    -Mary
  • Post #1984 - March 25th, 2021, 11:18 am
    Post #1984 - March 25th, 2021, 11:18 am Post #1984 - March 25th, 2021, 11:18 am
    The GP wrote:You'll have to arm wrestle Mr. X for them. :lol:

He's a pretty big guy but, then again, I'm pretty hungry. :)
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #1985 - March 25th, 2021, 7:18 pm
    Post #1985 - March 25th, 2021, 7:18 pm Post #1985 - March 25th, 2021, 7:18 pm
    Had a couple more hangers from our previous 'bulk buy' that we wanted to use up and also discovered an aged pack of creminis in the back of the fridge (from Costco, I think) that had seen better days. Was working from home this afternoon, so I decided to give it all a whirl . . .

Mushroom Mise En Place & Masakage Yuki Gyuto 210mm
    Elderly creminis, salt, 4x gelatinous beef stock, red wine, fried shallot oil, black pepper, shallots and sliced garlic.

Sauteed the shallots and garlic in the fried shallot oil, then added everything else and let it simmer -- super low heat, covered -- for a couple of hours.

Spinach & Feta Casserole Mise En Place & Masakage Yuki Gyuto 210mm
    Dried dill weed, crushed raw garlic, sauteed onions & garlic, wilted/squeezed spinach, evoo, feta cheese, black pepper, yogurt, dried oregano and lemon (juiced). 2 pounds of fresh spinach netted about 18 ounces.

Spinach & Feta Casserole
    All of the above (plus some leftover sauteed mushrooms that I found later on) mixed up and ready for baking. 350F for one hour, covered lightly with foil for the first 30 minutes.

Hangers
    Trussed, oiled, seasoned and charcoal-grilled.

Plated Up
    Hanger steak, spinach & feta casserole and slow-cooked creminis.

=R=
    By protecting others, you save yourself. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself. --Kambei Shimada

Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #1986 - March 26th, 2021, 9:52 pm
    Post #1986 - March 26th, 2021, 9:52 pm Post #1986 - March 26th, 2021, 9:52 pm
    Scallops, mushrooms, polenta = dinner. Captain Alex sells a lovely product, just get out of the way and dinner will be tip-top.

click image to enlarge

Scallops, count me a Fan!

Captain Alex Seafood
    8874 N Milwaukee Ave
    Niles, IL 60714
    847-803-8833
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #1987 - March 26th, 2021, 10:11 pm
    Post #1987 - March 26th, 2021, 10:11 pm Post #1987 - March 26th, 2021, 10:11 pm
    G Wiv wrote:Scallops, mushrooms, polenta = dinner. Captain Alex sells a lovely product, just get out of the way and dinner will be tip-top.

Wow, that looks great. Now that I'm regularly back in Niles, I should stop in here and grab some scallops. The last ones I bought, from WF, were fine but those look divine.

=R=
    By protecting others, you save yourself. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself. --Kambei Shimada

• Post #1988 - March 27th, 2021, 12:59 pm
    Post #1988 - March 27th, 2021, 12:59 pm Post #1988 - March 27th, 2021, 12:59 pm
    Quick, stir-fry lunch in which I managed to get RID of a bunch of ingredients . . .

Mise En Place & Yu Kurosaki VG10 Fujin Petty, 150mm
    Microplaned garlic & ginger, mung bean sprouts, choy sum, soy sauce, oyster sauce, u26-30 shrimp, toasted sesame oil, soybean sauce, white pepper, ground Sichuan peppercorns, enoki mushrooms and garlic scapes (draped). I started and finished cooking this with a couple of items that aren't pictured: peanut oil to start and a 1:1 slurry of cornstarch/water to finish.

Plated Up
    Quick Shrimp Stir Fry garnished with garlic scapes. I was very happy to finish off the shrimp, bean sprouts and enoki mushrooms, while ending up with something tasty, to boot.

=R=

• Post #1989 - March 28th, 2021, 6:32 pm
    Post #1989 - March 28th, 2021, 6:32 pm Post #1989 - March 28th, 2021, 6:32 pm
    Got RID of some leftover sides, salvaged some browning iceberg lettuce into a salad and paired it all up with some outstanding ribeyes from PQM . . .

Dry-Aged, Bone-In Ribeyes
    Rubbed them with a bit of oil, then hit them with some of the Manale Spice Powder that we mixed up last week. I really like this rub on just about everything. I think it'll remain a staple around here.

Grilled
    Very fatty steaks, especially near the bones, so just about 15 seconds over the coals on each side, then repeated it to mark them. After that, it was indirect and covered the rest of the way, about 7 more minutes.

Salad
    Iceberg lettuce, campari tomatoes, blue cheese and the leftover homemade yogurt dressing from last week.

Plated Up
    Charcoal-grilled ribeye with spinach & feta casserole and slow-cooked creminis, both of which were leftover and reheated.

Interior Shot
    I managed to take down about half my steak. Very good stuff.

=R=

• Post #1990 - March 29th, 2021, 6:54 pm
    Post #1990 - March 29th, 2021, 6:54 pm Post #1990 - March 29th, 2021, 6:54 pm
    Being a cauliflower obsessive, I was intrigued by this post, in which bw77 wrote about a variety of cauliflower (taishan or fioretto) that I'd never seen before. Flash forward a couple of weeks and there it was, just sitting in the produce section at Richwell Market in Morton Grove. The only decision was whether to buy one head or two. I bought one, figuring that it was destined for my wok . . .

Mise En Place & Konosuke Togatta GS+ Gyuto 240mm
    Taishan cauliflower, carrot, corn starch (later slurried with water), fermented black beans (mashed into a paste with some shaoxing wine), microplaned ginger, sliced garlic, peanut oil, ground Sichuan peppercorns, leeks, soy sauce, shaoxing wine, extra firm tofu, 4x gelatinous beef stock, lap cheong, baby bok choy, mung bean sprouts. Togatta GS . . . yes! :)

Seeing how ridiculously full my wok was going to be, I actually cooked the bok choy -- with some of the garlic and a splash of soy sauce -- after the cauliflower had finished.

Plated Up
    Garnished with scallion tops, chives and Lao Gan Ma spicy chili crisp. This was a great dish. The cauliflower itself was tender and flavorful. And while I don't usually love sweet with my savory, the natural sweetness of the cauliflower and the inherent sweetness of the lap cheong -- combined with the shaoxing wine and the ginger -- really synergized the overall dish here. I can't wait to further explore this delicious cauliflower varietal.

Happy Monday! :)

=R=

• Post #1991 - March 30th, 2021, 5:15 am
    Post #1991 - March 30th, 2021, 5:15 am Post #1991 - March 30th, 2021, 5:15 am
    ha, i too was inspired by that post and did a version last weekend, turned out great!

Cauliflower and Chinese bacon from Park to Shop (Uptown) fwiw

• Post #1992 - March 30th, 2021, 7:07 am
    Post #1992 - March 30th, 2021, 7:07 am Post #1992 - March 30th, 2021, 7:07 am
    Hi,

I made tempura from this cauliflower. The lengthy stems were roasted, though they could have been used in Chow Fun instead of brocolli.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #1993 - March 30th, 2021, 9:34 am
    Post #1993 - March 30th, 2021, 9:34 am Post #1993 - March 30th, 2021, 9:34 am
    AlekH wrote:Cauliflower and Chinese bacon from Park to Shop (Uptown)

Forget cauliflower, give me a big portion of those fantastic looking pan fried noodles!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #1994 - March 30th, 2021, 10:12 am
    Post #1994 - March 30th, 2021, 10:12 am Post #1994 - March 30th, 2021, 10:12 am
    Tasty little Sirloin Tip roast, aka string roast, and Gratin dauphinois with Gruyere a couple of nights ago. Last night an impulse buy corned beef point, turned out terrific.

click to enlarge

Meat, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #1995 - March 30th, 2021, 12:45 pm
    Post #1995 - March 30th, 2021, 12:45 pm Post #1995 - March 30th, 2021, 12:45 pm
    Great job with the cauliflower. Both look delicious!
    "I live on good soup, not on fine words." -Moliere
  • Post #1996 - March 30th, 2021, 5:52 pm
    Post #1996 - March 30th, 2021, 5:52 pm Post #1996 - March 30th, 2021, 5:52 pm
    Rubenesque Reuben

click to enlarge

Reuben, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #1997 - March 30th, 2021, 6:45 pm
    Post #1997 - March 30th, 2021, 6:45 pm Post #1997 - March 30th, 2021, 6:45 pm
    Man, all the recent stuff looks great but damn! Those noodles ftw! Yum! :)

Tonight's dinner was a bit of a debunking mission. Mrs. Suburban had recently picked up some store-prepped keto-friendly fried chicken. I was skeptical but I have to admit it was pretty good. However, when I noticed the price, I honestly couldn't believe it. Two bone-in thighs cost nearly $10! :shock: In a chat with the store clerk, my always-smarter-than-me bride learned that the 'breading' was basically a combination of parmesan cheese and almond flour. That, I could do . . .

Mise En Place
    Heavily-herbed 50/50 mix of almond flour & grated cheeses (parmesan, romano and provolone), peanut oil, boneless-skinless chicken thighs and a heavily seasoned mixture of eggs and buttermilk. Dragged the pieces through the egg wash then dropped them into the 'breading' and patted them thoroughly to coat them on all sides. From there, shallow-fried them in some peanut oil.

As I mentioned above, this began as a debunking mission, so my plan was to make one piece, see how it turned out and let that determine how we cooked the rest of the chicken . . .

Keto-Friendly Fried Chicken
    Well, as it turned out, that sample piece was pretty darned good. We decided to proceed with the entire lot. These took maybe 5 minutes per side, cooked in two batches. They were really flavorful, nicely crunchy on the outside and, even sans a marinade or brine, quite moist inside.

Plated Up
    With iceberg lettuce + campari tomato salad and Mrs. Suburban's unparalleled steamed asparagus, with butter + lemon . . . our first homemade asparagus of the season. :)

=R=

• Post #1998 - March 30th, 2021, 8:05 pm
    Post #1998 - March 30th, 2021, 8:05 pm Post #1998 - March 30th, 2021, 8:05 pm
    SueF has done a lot of baking from Flavor Flours - there's some savory in there, but it's all baking.
    But of the non-starch flours, the nuts, especially almond and coconut, work very well for crusts, which isn't too different from a breading.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #1999 - March 31st, 2021, 6:47 pm
    Post #1999 - March 31st, 2021, 6:47 pm Post #1999 - March 31st, 2021, 6:47 pm
    JoelF wrote:SueF has done a lot of baking from Flavor Flours - there's some savory in there, but it's all baking.
    But of the non-starch flours, the nuts, especially almond and coconut, work very well for crusts, which isn't too different from a breading.

Yeah, I'm hearing this from some other friends, too. I wouldn't have suspected coconut to be neutral but the oil is (more or less), so that somewhat adds up. In any event, I'm looking forward to experimenting more with nut "flours" in savory applications.

Tonight was a resuscitation of our leftover Seder brisket . . .

Just Winging It & Konosuke SKD Tsuchime Gyuto, 210mm
    Some fresh carrots and a red onion (don't think I've ever used a red onion before with brisket) along with a mighty fine blade. Poured the leftover gravy over these and braised them, covered, for about 90 minutes at 300F. After that, I added the sliced up leftover brisket, re-covered the baker and put it back in the oven for about another 30 minutes.

There was also side-dishery . . .

Zucchini Mise En Place & Konosuke SKD Tsuchime Gyuto, 210mm
    Penzey's Justice seasoning blend, salt, crushed garlic, scallions, Pao!, black pepper, fried shallot oil and zucchini.

Sauteed Zucchini

To paraphrase the old joke:

Me: I think zucchini may be more important than sex.
    Friend: What? You're crazy!
    Me: Well, I can't remember the last time I went a week without zucchini! :lol:

Okay, moving on . . . 8)

There was also a salad. I only mention it because, apparently, we've moved on from iceberg to romaine. I figured this seismic shift was worth documenting . . .

Pre-Dressed Salad
    With campari tomatoes. I used up the end of a homemade dressing that was one of my recent favorites. I hope I can duplicate it in the future.

Reheated brisket was very good. I held back quite a bit of the point for us, so that was a nice bonus . . .

Plated Up
    Garnished with garlic scapes.

=R=

• Post #2000 - April 1st, 2021, 6:56 pm
    Post #2000 - April 1st, 2021, 6:56 pm Post #2000 - April 1st, 2021, 6:56 pm
    Last home-cooked dinner before heading into a 3-day stretch of not cooking dinner. :shock: Pretty sure this will be the first time that's happened since last March. Meanwhile, on successive nights, we went from Passover brisket clear over to the other side of the spectrum . . .

Oiled & Seasoned Pork Roast
    A nicely fatty roast. You can tell from the quality of the string job that it was trussed professionally at Zier's. We're still going strong on the Manale rub, which seems to be a great fit on just about everything we've been cooking lately.

Napa Cabbage & Konosuke SKD Tsuchime Gyuto, 210mm
    Simple prep here. 4 edge-to-edge cuts across the core of the cabbage to create 8 sectors, then you gently pull them apart. From there, just lay the sections out on a baking sheet, sprinkle them with evoo and dust them with a rub of your choice (of course, we Manale'd it). Roast at 425F for about 45 minutes, turning it halfway through.

Pork Roast & Konosuke SKD Tsuchime Gyuto, 210mm
    About 2.5 hours @ 200F, which took it to 135F internal. Followed that with 8 minutes @450 convection roast, rotating it after 4.

Sourdough Bread & Kohetsu 1K6 Bread Knife, 240mm
    This beautiful and delicious loaf was baked for us by gastro gnome as a thank you for something I bought and gave to him. We definitely got the better end of that deal! :) He mentioned that it was ~85/15 white/whole wheat. A perfectly crusty crust and a tender, moist crumb, with great flavor all the way through the chew.

Plated Up
    Pork roast, roasted napa cabbage and home-baked bread. It doesn't get much better than this.

=R=

• Post #2001 - April 3rd, 2021, 12:34 pm
    Post #2001 - April 3rd, 2021, 12:34 pm Post #2001 - April 3rd, 2021, 12:34 pm
    Saturday omelet, showcasing some more of the excellent gastro gnome sourdough . . .

Salami & Cheese Omelet
    With buttered gastro gnome sourdough toast and a "ronnie" cake, which was using up the end of the leftover mixture of almond flour and grated hard cheese from other night's keto-friendly fried chicken coating (plus an egg to help bind it).

=R=

• Post #2002 - April 3rd, 2021, 7:45 pm
    Post #2002 - April 3rd, 2021, 7:45 pm Post #2002 - April 3rd, 2021, 7:45 pm
    hard week for complicated reasons and one recompense was the little one got to pick the dinners. she went with a bunch of her faves, and thus a week in which we didn't cook much exciting stuff, but made everything delicious: pasta carbonara, burgers with steamed artichokes, pork shoulder tacos, shawarma & tzatziki, homemade chicken pot pie, lentil soup with grilled cheese.

looking forward to the warm weather for more grilling and maybe some more ambitious options.
  • Post #2003 - April 4th, 2021, 3:22 pm
    Post #2003 - April 4th, 2021, 3:22 pm Post #2003 - April 4th, 2021, 3:22 pm
    I can't imagine what else you would make on this gorgeous day, but hamburgers on the grill. Served in the Gordon household on English Muffins, with browned on the grill onions, browned on the grill English muffins, and a sauce made from Mayo, Grey Poupon, and sriracha. I cook rare and ground the meat here.
  • Post #2004 - April 5th, 2021, 6:53 pm
    Post #2004 - April 5th, 2021, 6:53 pm Post #2004 - April 5th, 2021, 6:53 pm
    annak wrote: she went with a bunch of her faves, and thus a week in which we didn't cook much exciting stuff, but made everything delicious: pasta carbonara, burgers with steamed artichokes, pork shoulder tacos, shawarma & tzatziki, homemade chicken pot pie, lentil soup with grilled cheese.

Maybe not exciting but it all sounds great.

lougord99 wrote:I can't imagine what else you would make on this gorgeous day, but hamburgers on the grill. Served in the Gordon household on English Muffins, with browned on the grill onions, browned on the grill English muffins, and a sauce made from Mayo, Grey Poupon, and sriracha. I cook rare and ground the meat here.

Classic, Lou! I was on the other side of the spectrum -- day 3 of not cooking dinner, enjoying Easter ham and beef tenderloin prepared by my stepmom. Oh, and there was this, too . . .

Decapitated Lamb Cake

Today, after 3 days off, I definitely felt like cooking but with work, time was limited, so a couple of quick, after-work tasks today. Started with the weekly slaw . . .

Green Cabbage & Konosuke SKD Tsuchime Gyuto, 210mm
    This was a big boy; just over 1100g after coring, trimming and slicing.

Coleslaw
    Mostly cabbage, a grated carrot, some juicy sweet onion pulp and some other business.

Next up, one of my favorite ways to get RID of stuff: cauliflower fried 'rice'. . .

Mise En Place & Konosuke SKD Tsuchime Gyuto, 210mm
    Shallots, crushed garlic, microplaned ginger, kabanos, white pepper, mung bean sprouts, peanut oil, riced cauliflower, fried shallot oil, leftover pork loin roast, leftover brisket, carrots, five spice powder (this only went into the eggs), toasted sesame oil, lap cheong, scallion tops, soy sauce, dark soy sauce, onions, scallion bottoms, frozen peas and five spice-scrambled eggs. I think it would have been easier to list the ingredients I didn't use! I made a conscious effort to leave the oyster sauce out this time but in the end, I added a few dashes because after tasting it, I felt like it needed it.

Fwiw, that Konosuke was a tremendous all-arounder, handling every job I threw at it during this prep.

Plated Up
    Garnished with scallion tops and Lao Gan Man chili crisp, and served with my favorite side dish, natural light!

Happy Monday! :)

=R=

• Post #2005 - April 6th, 2021, 8:36 am
    Post #2005 - April 6th, 2021, 8:36 am Post #2005 - April 6th, 2021, 8:36 am
    Did some cumin lamb skewers last weekend that turned out great

Made a paste using heaps of toasted cumin (50/50 ground v whole), peppercorns, red chilis, garlic, shaoxing wine, soy sauce, bullhead, and chili oil

• Post #2006 - April 6th, 2021, 5:57 pm
    Post #2006 - April 6th, 2021, 5:57 pm Post #2006 - April 6th, 2021, 5:57 pm
    Tonight was baked ziti, not exactly in line with this gorgeous weather but there was ricotta that wanted eating. Tried a technique of Alison Roman's: mixing a little heavy cream into the ricotta, to keep it from getting grainy when baked. It worked well - hid dollops amid the noodles and sauce, and it came out creamy in the middle.
  • Post #2007 - April 6th, 2021, 6:34 pm
    Post #2007 - April 6th, 2021, 6:34 pm Post #2007 - April 6th, 2021, 6:34 pm
    AlekH wrote:Did some cumin lamb skewers last weekend that turned out great . . .

Heck, yeah. Those look terrific.

annak wrote:Tonight was baked ziti, not exactly in line with this gorgeous weather but there was ricotta that wanted eating. Tried a technique of Alison Roman's: mixing a little heavy cream into the ricotta, to keep it from getting grainy when baked. It worked well - hid dollops amid the noodles and sauce, and it came out creamy in the middle.

Interesting. I have a baked ziti/rotini recipe that I really like but ricotta is just a bit sweet for my taste. Was thinking about subbing in fresh mozzarella instead. I know that would get rid of the graininess but I'm worried it might also change the overall dish too much.

Made a very quick and satisfying after-work curry tonight . . .

Mise En Place & Konosuke SKD Tsuchime Gyuto, 210mm
    Shallots, basil leaves, bamboo shoots, Maesri red curry paste, Thai bird chiles, kaffir lime leaves, extra firm tofu, fried shallot oil, Bangkok spice blend, cremini mushrooms, coconut milk, zucchini, 4x gelatinous chicken stock, fish sauce and boneless, skinless chicken thigh pieces.

There's been some curry discord in the Suburban household lately. The last few batches were too spicy for everyone but me. In order to keep everyone happy, I've been systematically dialing it back. Tonight, I only used two of the chiles in the shot above, pounding them gently and leaving them whole. I used a mere sprinkling of the Bangkok spice on the chicken before I sauteed it in the fried shallot oil. And I used the Three Crabs fish sauce, which is the sweetest of the ones I have in my pantry. The result was at the very tame end of my spiciness preference but everyone else was very pleased. So, I think I have a template going forward.

I've had some fun with that Konosuke SKD lately. It's such a stellar, all-around performer, it's hard to put anything else on the board. But I plan to make myself move on to some other knives very soon.

Plated Up
    Red Curry Chicken, garnished with scallion greens, served over brown jasmine rice.

=R=

• Post #2008 - April 7th, 2021, 8:43 am
    Post #2008 - April 7th, 2021, 8:43 am Post #2008 - April 7th, 2021, 8:43 am
    Ronnie -

As a side note to your curry story, I had a half a can of Maesri red curry in the fridge. This was our first can of Maesri and the initial dish turned out well, but was pretty mild. (For the life of me, I have no idea what I made.) With the remaining red curry staring at me, I pulled out a piece of lingcod and assembled a dish from the fish, cremini mushrooms, red pepper, spinach and leftover roasted potatoes. I bloomed the curry in the pan then added minced garlic and ginger. Neither of these dishes had any hot peppers, but the second round was noticeably spicier. I think the only difference might have been the ginger.

Photographic evidence:
    -Mary
  • Post #2009 - April 7th, 2021, 6:29 pm
    Post #2009 - April 7th, 2021, 6:29 pm Post #2009 - April 7th, 2021, 6:29 pm
    The GP wrote:Neither of these dishes had any hot peppers, but the second round was noticeably spicier. I think the only difference might have been the ginger.

Photographic evidence:

The dish looks great, Mary. Ginger does have a bite but my theory is that the Maesri products aren't particularly homogeneous, so there may some minor separation or stratification within each can.

I tried to recreate a great green bean dish I had at Prairie Grass Cafe over the weekend. I failed miserably at mimicking it but still ended up with something pretty good (that, happily, my family really liked) . . .

Mise En Place & Makoto Coreless Damascus Gyuto, 210mm
    Garlic scapes, sliced garlic, fried shallot oil, spring onion greens, white wine, 4x gelatinous chicken stock, black pepper, salt and shallots.

The PGC dish was green beans in a ramp mash. In lieu of ramps (hope to get some next week), I attempted the dish using spring onion greens. I started by sauteing the garlic, garlic scapes and shallots in fried shallot oil. Once they sweated a bit, I added some stock and a dash of wine. After it all softened, I let it reduce for a couple of minutes, then seasoned it with salt and pepper.

Sauteed & Softened Melange

After it cooked down a while, I pureed it with the stick blender. This is when the obvious occurred to me: spring onion greens do not possess anywhere close to the flavor intensity of ramps. I poured the meek, mild-mannered, pureed mash into a small sauce pan, reduced it further and continued to tweak it along the way with a bunch of items that were not in my initial mise (worcestershire sauce, Manale spice rub, Golden Mountain and msg). What I ended up with was tasty, and made a very nice "sauce" for the green beans (which were sauteed to tender-crisp separately) but it was nothing close to the dish I was trying to emulate. In a shocking outcome, my green beans basically sucked when compare to the ones made by a two-time James Beard Award-winning chef. Go figure! :P

Ready For Service
    Tender-crisp green beans in spring onion sprout puree, garnished with a pulverized parmesan/romano blend. I also garnished my individual serving with some red chile flakes. The rest of dinner was the end of our leftover Passover brisket, reheated, which was still very good.

=R=

• Post #2010 - April 8th, 2021, 6:35 pm
    Post #2010 - April 8th, 2021, 6:35 pm Post #2010 - April 8th, 2021, 6:35 pm
    Fairly decent attempt at a few Thai dishes tonight . . .

Mise En Place & CCK Small Cleaver
    Rough schematic for pad ka-prao. Thai (not holy) basil, oyster sauce, fried shallot oil (have it, so why not?), dark sweet soy sauce, fish sauce, Golden Mountain seasoning sauce, hand-minced pork neck and garlic/shallot/Thai bird chiles in the mortar.

Getting closer to finding Thai holy basil (and I plan on growing my own this summer) but this standard, Thai variety was a very nice step up from genovese in this dish. I considered breaking out the meat grinder with a large-holed cutter for the pork neck but I opted for the CCK instead, and had fun with it. At one point I had it in one hand and my Dexter cleaver in the other, and I briefly entered berserker mode. Happily, the name Ronnie Nine Fingers does not apply :lol:

Mortar & Pestle
    Getting better with the m&p, too. Had to put on some reading glasses while doing this because the vapors from the chiles and shallots were really making me tear up.

Since I was also able to find Japanese-variety eggplant, I decided on Thai-style broiled eggplant salad as a side . . .

Eggplant Mise En Place & Katayama VG10 Suminagashi Gyuto 210mm
    Palm sugar, shallots, key limes, cilantro leaves, fish sauce, Japanese eggplant, hard boiled eggs and Thai bird chiles.
    Good thing they gave me these key limes when I carried out from the taqueria because all the limes I had at home were totally gross. They were a bit more tart than Persian limes but I made them work in the dressing.

Thai-Style Broiled Eggplant Salad
    Eggplant pieces are split down the middle, brushed with oil and broiled for ~12 minutes. After that, the salad is dressed and garnished on the platter. I love this dish and definitely do not make it enough. However, now that I'm getting out and about a bit more, I think it'll be easier to source the right eggplants. Yes, you can use larger varieties but they just don't work as well.

Plated Up
    Pad Ka-Prao. Definitely my best iteration to date. The Thai basil made a huge difference and even though I doubled the recipe, I did not double the amount of Golden Mountain. I think that may have been the key. For my palate, it needs to be in there but less is definitely more.

=R=

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more