LTH Home

Instacart - I'm not sure what to think

Instacart - I'm not sure what to think
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - May 16th, 2020, 8:11 am
    Post #31 - May 16th, 2020, 8:11 am Post #31 - May 16th, 2020, 8:11 am
    Hi,

The California legislature created some laws aimed at gig economies with their target ride share companies. If someone worked more X hours, then they would be an employee with all that comes with that.

There was a broader 'gig' economy than they expected, which included contractors, freelancers and consultants. What type of jobs were they doing? Marketers, writers (scripts, web content, ghost writing books), educators (who may teach for online schools), broadcasting (makeup, lettering, musicians) and a whole range of jobs they never considered. When this law came into effect, a lot people lost clients (gigs) because they were already at maximum annual hours.

Chowhound to LTHforum legacy are a lot of people who worked for themselves who treated this website as their virtual watercooler. Someplace to hang out and refresh, before they go back to work.

My friend who is doing instacart shopping had a thriving business evaporate with shelter at home. Once this passes and can resume her preferred gig, this in between job will go away.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #32 - May 19th, 2020, 10:43 am
    Post #32 - May 19th, 2020, 10:43 am Post #32 - May 19th, 2020, 10:43 am
    I have been super fortunate the last few weeks to skip using Instacart after signing up for their monthly program.

I do recall that each shop has a mention of whether prices are the same or not and I guess I have had good shoppers.

I generally use Prime Now and last night, for the first time ever, I placed a shopping order with Jewel directly. I wasn't in a hurry so they will deliver this evening in a four hour block for a scant $3.95. You also get all of the Jewel sale prices I understand.

So perhaps regular shopping could be diverted to your local store directly as a consideration to add to this Hodge podge of shopping from our devices.

Cheers,
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #33 - May 19th, 2020, 11:59 am
    Post #33 - May 19th, 2020, 11:59 am Post #33 - May 19th, 2020, 11:59 am
    I've had an unfortunate experience with Instacart recently. I've only ordered from them once, last January, although an order for delivery from Binny's was apparently delivered via Instacart on the 8th of this month. That order went well. But I was surprised a couple of days ago to find out my credit card had been charged over $400 for another order, which I never made. I called, and their rep insisted they hadn't been hacked, but apparently someone got all my credit card information, plus my Instacart user name and password, and used all that without my knowledge to place the order. I then got an email, looking like it came from Instacart, asking me for more personal information to "confirm" the order. Obviously, I didn't respond to that. Instacart said their security team would get in touch with me quickly, but that was a few days ago ... no one has contacted me. The credit card company cancelled that card and issued one with a new number, and assured me I wouldn't be responsible for the charge. Just one data point — YMMV.
  • Post #34 - May 19th, 2020, 8:11 pm
    Post #34 - May 19th, 2020, 8:11 pm Post #34 - May 19th, 2020, 8:11 pm
    nr706 wrote:I've had an unfortunate experience with Instacart recently. I've only ordered from them once, last January, although an order for delivery from Binny's was apparently delivered via Instacart on the 8th of this month. That order went well. But I was surprised a couple of days ago to find out my credit card had been charged over $400 for another order, which I never made. I called, and their rep insisted they hadn't been hacked, but apparently someone got all my credit card information, plus my Instacart user name and password, and used all that without my knowledge to place the order. I then got an email, looking like it came from Instacart, asking me for more personal information to "confirm" the order. Obviously, I didn't respond to that. Instacart said their security team would get in touch with me quickly, but that was a few days ago ... no one has contacted me. The credit card company cancelled that card and issued one with a new number, and assured me I wouldn't be responsible for the charge. Just one data point — YMMV.

That's awful. I use privacy.com for a lot of online purchases and you can decide if the card is used once and only once or if it has a limit tied to it. Also, some credit card companies offer a virtual credit card number and you may wish to consider that.

Where was the fictitious order delivered?
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #35 - May 19th, 2020, 9:11 pm
    Post #35 - May 19th, 2020, 9:11 pm Post #35 - May 19th, 2020, 9:11 pm
    pairs4life wrote:Where was the fictitious order delivered?

I have no idea. One person said whoever placed the order subsequently cancelled it, but the credit card company still showed it on my account. I'm guessing that whoever's behind it, if they could get my Instacart user name and password, they could also get my home address which was used previously — but that's just a guess. Anyway, nothing from them ever arrived here.

Thanks for the privacy.com and other suggestions. I'll look into those.
  • Post #36 - May 20th, 2020, 6:02 pm
    Post #36 - May 20th, 2020, 6:02 pm Post #36 - May 20th, 2020, 6:02 pm
    Like lougord, I know someone who has severe health problems (in this case, heart, lung, and immune system) that has prevented them from leaving the house at all during these times. For someone in that situation, the type of service Instacart provides is a lifesaver.

For myself, not being in the same situation, although I've been tempted, I've refrained from using Instacart or any other grocery delivery service. I don't doubt they've had some customer service issues, but it seems to me that they're swamped enough as it is, having had to ramp up quickly to an unanticipated demand volume, and I just feel like I should let the people who really need them have access to them.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #37 - May 23rd, 2020, 12:53 pm
    Post #37 - May 23rd, 2020, 12:53 pm Post #37 - May 23rd, 2020, 12:53 pm
    Our latest snafu was with our Costco order. Placed an order Friday am - two hour delivery, no issue. Everyone was home, we try to meet the drivers and give a friendly wave and a "thank you, have a good day" when we order. The Mariano's order came with no issues. The Costco order was en route. Wife followed the driver's status and came downstairs when they were a few minutes to arrival. Then she got the notification that the order was dropped off at our door, while she watched for the driver to pull up. 5 minutes later, still nothing. She stepped out side a few times, and looked at the neighbor's porches - nada. Not sure where that stuff was delivered, but it wasn't on our block. Neither of us were TOO worried. Costco customer service has pretty much never been an issue for us. We've already been credited, placed the order again, and it was delivered already.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #38 - May 26th, 2020, 6:41 pm
    Post #38 - May 26th, 2020, 6:41 pm Post #38 - May 26th, 2020, 6:41 pm
    I been buying from Costco for around 20 years or so. Its not around the corner so when I saw they were using instacart I looked into it. I was a little bit out of their delivery range at that time, but I knew prices could be higher. But what I saw going through the Instacart website was way too much on some items I usually buy. Just with the chicken I normally buy was around $60 higher. Which was ridiculous but I do buy quite a bit so not to go back very often. So I blasted Costco a few times when I called in and insulted them also online comments on their website. Told them it was a insult to members. Best to just charge whatever to deliver, not add to prices for members.

Not long ago they extended the area to me and I looked again. When I enter through the Costco website which of course I'm signed in, there is no delivery fee added. I checked the prices and they didn't seem much different on items I usually buy. They know I'm a member that way also. I'm not sure all prices are the same, just like they aren't if you buy from Costco.com on other items besides food verses the store. But I just didn't see much if any difference so I don't really have a problem using it if needed. The only added charge was the tip. So maybe its certain items, just haven't use it enough to know. Plus I don't much as much now from Costco, mostly because just got tired of driving there and buy huge amounts at one time. But certain items they have unbeatable prices.
  • Post #39 - May 28th, 2020, 11:32 am
    Post #39 - May 28th, 2020, 11:32 am Post #39 - May 28th, 2020, 11:32 am
    The GP wrote:
    Vitesse98 wrote:I've heard horror stories from friends trying to grocery shop while avoiding frazzled Instacart shoppers racing around unfamiliar spaces and searching shelves for stuff they can't find like they're on some crazy scavenger hunt.

I was at the Edgewater Mariano's one afternoon and I felt like I was the only one shopping for myself. Everyone else seemed to be staring at their phones and wandering around looking for whatever was on the list. Very difficult to maneuver around them.

Yeah, this is my biggest issue with them. The majority have no regard for others, don't follow safety protocols (6', face mask, etc), and just don't seem to know where they are going most of the time. I understand the necessity for some people, but I'd prefer more people shopping for themselves when I venture out to do it for myself.

As someone else said, it's more about speed and volume for them, so it is putting other people more at risk.
  • Post #40 - January 21st, 2021, 8:20 pm
    Post #40 - January 21st, 2021, 8:20 pm Post #40 - January 21st, 2021, 8:20 pm
    Instacart is cutting more than 1,800 jobs, including its only unionized workers.
    https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/21/tech/ins ... index.html
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #41 - January 21st, 2021, 9:12 pm
    Post #41 - January 21st, 2021, 9:12 pm Post #41 - January 21st, 2021, 9:12 pm
    Dave148 wrote:Instacart is cutting more than 1,800 jobs, including its only unionized workers.
    https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/21/tech/ins ... index.html

It seems like a lot of stores are using their employees to do the in store shopping and then using Instacart people to deliver the groceries. I know that Meijer switched to using their employees to do shopping for pickup a couple of months ago. I have mixed feelings using it since the price for pickup is the same as if I shopped myself. However, it makes me feel bad if someone is losing their job.
  • Post #42 - March 18th, 2021, 10:32 am
    Post #42 - March 18th, 2021, 10:32 am Post #42 - March 18th, 2021, 10:32 am
    I'm sorry I don't have a linkable source to share but sales data show that online grocery shopping dropped by 14% in February (over January). Some analysts have framed this as a sign of impending doom for Instacart et al, though I think the reality is more nuanced than that. But the bottom line is that as panic/stock-up demand continues to decrease, shoppers acclimate and adjust to parameters of online conduits and more of the population gets vaccinated, online sellers will have to compete more and more with brick and mortar businesses to even maintain their market share.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #43 - March 18th, 2021, 12:00 pm
    Post #43 - March 18th, 2021, 12:00 pm Post #43 - March 18th, 2021, 12:00 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:I'm sorry I don't have a linkable source to share but sales data show that online grocery shopping dropped by 14% in February (over January). Some analysts have framed this as a sign of impending doom for Instacart et al, though I think the reality is more nuanced than that. But the bottom line is that as panic/stock-up demand continues to decrease, shoppers acclimate and adjust to parameters of online conduits and more of the population gets vaccinated, online sellers will have to compete more and more with brick and mortar businesses to even maintain their market share.

=R=

I admit, I’ve gotten a bit addicted to the convenience of it, particularly since IC delivery staff out here in the wilds of rural Valpo have been exceptionally efficient as the months have dragged on. When I can get an accurate, well-selected order to doorstep delivery in two hours or less from both Costco and Strack’s, (both about a 15-20 minute drive for me each way), it makes it hard to give up. But I am finding it less and less justifiable cost-wise—particularly since I’m still tipping in the hazard-pay range.

Will be interesting to see if they can Netflix themselves into a more sustainable model for the next chapter of life post-pandemic.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #44 - July 19th, 2021, 7:23 pm
    Post #44 - July 19th, 2021, 7:23 pm Post #44 - July 19th, 2021, 7:23 pm
    Uber Technologies, Inc. is accelerating its on-demand grocery delivery service in the U.S., more than doubling the cities where it’s available and partnering with a major grocer as the pandemic-fueled delivery competition heats up.
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... in-the-u-s
  • Post #45 - November 17th, 2021, 5:07 am
    Post #45 - November 17th, 2021, 5:07 am Post #45 - November 17th, 2021, 5:07 am
    Getir, A Turkish Grocery Delivery Business, Debuts In Chicago And Plans Andersonville Storefront. The company says it specializes in “ultrafast” delivery service, offering 10-minute delivery of around 2,000 grocery store items. It has a fleet of scooters that employees use for deliveries from its stores.

https://blockclubchicago.org/2021/11/16 ... torefront/
  • Post #46 - November 17th, 2021, 7:27 pm
    Post #46 - November 17th, 2021, 7:27 pm Post #46 - November 17th, 2021, 7:27 pm
    But wait…there’s more!

Buyk, a New York City-based startup that provides ultra-fast grocery delivery by bike, wants to expand rapidly in Chicago as rival Getir also launches in the city.
    https://blockclubchicago.org/2021/11/17 ... -approved/
  • Post #47 - November 18th, 2021, 11:43 am
    Post #47 - November 18th, 2021, 11:43 am Post #47 - November 18th, 2021, 11:43 am
    Shades of the old Kozmo.com. That ran into the ground in near-record time. I'm pretty sure I have an old messenger bag (picked up from the liquidation sale) around here somewhere.
  • Post #48 - January 27th, 2022, 9:37 am
    Post #48 - January 27th, 2022, 9:37 am Post #48 - January 27th, 2022, 9:37 am
    Dave148 wrote:
    Getir, A Turkish Grocery Delivery Business, Debuts In Chicago And Plans Andersonville Storefront. The company says it specializes in “ultrafast” delivery service, offering 10-minute delivery of around 2,000 grocery store items. It has a fleet of scooters that employees use for deliveries from its stores.

https://blockclubchicago.org/2021/11/16 ... torefront/

The Getir "storefront" is not far from me. I've followed the chatter on an Andersonville Facebook group about it: convenient! eyesore! shop local not huge corporations! $25 off first order over $25.02! It was that last one that made me download the app yesterday. Single digit temperatures with a colder wind chill might have been the other motivation. We were out of coffee beans and low on milk so off to the app I went. La Colombe "Nizza" medium roast beans, 1/2 gallon of milk and two pints of Ben & Jerry's brought me over the $25 threshold so I paid around $3 for the groceries and added a $6 tip. The delivery was at my door in about 10 minutes. (No scooter though. Would have been so cold for the driver!) My only quibble is they put it in two bags when it could have easily fit in one. Yes, the bags are the reusable kind but two were unnecessary. I doubt this is a service I would use much, or even ever again. It served the purpose yesterday though so I was happy.
    -Mary
  • Post #49 - September 18th, 2022, 7:41 pm
    Post #49 - September 18th, 2022, 7:41 pm Post #49 - September 18th, 2022, 7:41 pm
    Oh, the inhumanity! :evil:

Instacart proving, once again, that they are truly pathetic. Delivery driver dropped his wallet on my driveway. We found it 2 days after the delivery.

I called Instacart and explained what happened. They told me that due to their privacy policy, they would be unable to connect me with the driver. I told them that I fully authorized them giving the driver my number, so he could call me to arrange getting his wallet back. I emphasized that this was simply a human-to-human issue that didn't need to be over-complicated. That seemed to have zero effect on the mouth-breathing script-reading POS on the other end of the call.

He told me that the only remedy was for me to return the wallet to the store from which we ordered. Since that wouldn't guarantee that the driver would ever get it back-- or, ironically, his privacy -- I refused. I told them they had 2 days to get the driver in touch with me, after which I planned on taking the wallet to our local police department.

Tomorrow morning, that's where it'll go. I'm sure the owner has long since cancelled his credit cards, etc. but if it were me, I'd feel better knowing that the wallet was simply lost (not stolen) and found by someone who was holding it safely. Sadly, there was no contact information on anything in the wallet or I would have contacted the owner directly.

Conclusion: Instacart - what a bunch of fucking fuckfaces!

=R=
  • Post #50 - September 19th, 2022, 5:03 am
    Post #50 - September 19th, 2022, 5:03 am Post #50 - September 19th, 2022, 5:03 am
    You could try a HUCA ( hang up and call again ) and hopefully get someone who can actually think.
  • Post #51 - September 19th, 2022, 11:23 am
    Post #51 - September 19th, 2022, 11:23 am Post #51 - September 19th, 2022, 11:23 am
    lougord99 wrote:You could try a HUCA ( hang up and call again ) and hopefully get someone who can actually think.

Too late. It's already at the police department. Fwiw, there was no cash in the wallet, just credit and ID cards.

=R=
  • Post #52 - September 19th, 2022, 12:44 pm
    Post #52 - September 19th, 2022, 12:44 pm Post #52 - September 19th, 2022, 12:44 pm
    Dropping it off at a restaurant seems like a crazy idea to me! I think a better idea is (/would have been) to call one of the credit card issuers via the 800 number on the back of a card to ask them to contact the cardholder. But I agree handing it over to the police was the best move.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #53 - September 19th, 2022, 2:14 pm
    Post #53 - September 19th, 2022, 2:14 pm Post #53 - September 19th, 2022, 2:14 pm
    Katie wrote:Dropping it off at a restaurant seems like a crazy idea to me! I think a better idea is (/would have been) to call one of the credit card issuers via the 800 number on the back of a card to ask them to contact the cardholder.

I did that once and was advised to destroy the card, then they would contact the client.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #54 - September 20th, 2022, 12:12 am
    Post #54 - September 20th, 2022, 12:12 am Post #54 - September 20th, 2022, 12:12 am
    Well, at least this turned out better than a story on Nextdoor Waukegan. A driver for one of these food delivery services managed to ram into a customer's garage door, leaving a huge dent, then got out, looked at dent and dashed. Customer had an outdoor camera and caught the action but not the plate number. Called delivery company, they wouldn't reveal driver. Police got involved, as it was a crime to leave the scene, still no cooperation. Took threat of a subpoena to dislodge driver's name.
  • Post #55 - September 21st, 2022, 1:03 pm
    Post #55 - September 21st, 2022, 1:03 pm Post #55 - September 21st, 2022, 1:03 pm
    Ronnie_Suburban wrote:

Conclusion: Instacart - what a bunch of fucking fuckfaces!

You are too kind.
    Where there’s smoke, there may be salmon.
  • Post #56 - October 24th, 2022, 10:32 am
    Post #56 - October 24th, 2022, 10:32 am Post #56 - October 24th, 2022, 10:32 am
    It seems a lot of groceries are offering their own delivery services now. Didn't I recently see ads for this? I have used Instacart, Whole Foods via Prime app for delivery. Have had food from Mariano's and Aldi delivered via Instacart. What I have found recently is that Target has an excellent pick up system and there is no charge for it and the attendants don't even take tips if you try to give them one. You download the target app, do your shopping, and it lets you identify color and make of car. I pay by apple pay but you can load in credit cards on the app. You can even say where you want them to put it, such as back seat, and trunk, etc. You go on the app and tell them you're coming by pushing a button. Pull into a designated space and put your space number in and it sends you a code. The attendant then will ask you to show it and they put the bags in your car and away you go. Very fast and efficient especially if you have a Target and or Supertarget by your house. Another good thing is you can shop for more than groceries. So if you need a box of nails or some other nonfood item, you can easily get it. Of course, this does not help anyone if they can't drive or leave the house.
    Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #57 - October 24th, 2022, 12:15 pm
    Post #57 - October 24th, 2022, 12:15 pm Post #57 - October 24th, 2022, 12:15 pm
    toria wrote:It seems a lot of groceries are offering their own delivery services now. Didn't I recently see ads for this? I have used Instacart, Whole Foods via Prime app for delivery. Have had food from Mariano's and Aldi delivered via Instacart. What I have found recently is that Target has an excellent pick up system and there is no charge for it and the attendants don't even take tips if you try to give them one. You download the target app, do your shopping, and it lets you identify color and make of car. I pay by apple pay but you can load in credit cards on the app. You can even say where you want them to put it, such as back seat, and trunk, etc. You go on the app and tell them you're coming by pushing a button. Pull into a designated space and put your space number in and it sends you a code. The attendant then will ask you to show it and they put the bags in your car and away you go. Very fast and efficient especially if you have a Target and or Supertarget by your house. Another good thing is you can shop for more than groceries. So if you need a box of nails or some other nonfood item, you can easily get it. Of course, this does not help anyone if they can't drive or leave the house.

Jewel's pick-up service is a step below Target, but I've used it numerous times and it's worked out quite well. The only problem is you can't order later in the day for pickup same day.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more