LTH Home

Bob Mariano is getting back into groceries

Bob Mariano is getting back into groceries
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - August 5th, 2022, 2:55 am
    Post #31 - August 5th, 2022, 2:55 am Post #31 - August 5th, 2022, 2:55 am
    tjr wrote:
    zoid wrote:]Frankly this was the best deal Oak Park was ever going to get for that space.

I'll admit I don't know the history of that space, but it does seem that an alternative would have been to say, "If you want access to Oak Park customers, you'll have to let us have all the sales taxes just as other businesses do. If that doesn't work for you, try opening up in Austin instead." And knowing how economic development works, there are no ways to verify that Dom's follows through on hiring and environmental practices, or more importantly, penalties for not complying.

They've said that to multiple offers who all walked away.
    I understand this is far from ideal.
  • Post #32 - August 5th, 2022, 3:00 pm
    Post #32 - August 5th, 2022, 3:00 pm Post #32 - August 5th, 2022, 3:00 pm
    tjr wrote:
    zoid wrote:]Frankly this was the best deal Oak Park was ever going to get for that space.

I'll admit I don't know the history of that space, but it does seem that an alternative would have been to say, "If you want access to Oak Park customers, you'll have to let us have all the sales taxes just as other businesses do. If that doesn't work for you, try opening up in Austin instead." And knowing how economic development works, there are no ways to verify that Dom's follows through on hiring and environmental practices, or more importantly, penalties for not complying.

TJR, the history of the space is that Marshall Fields closed its Oak Park store about 40 years ago. Since then, there has been a continual struggle to occupy the street level retail space. For several years there was a Chernin's shoe store in the space. After they left -- in the 90s, as a I recall - Borders opened a store there, which flourished in the pre-Amazon economy. But Borders closed that store 11 years ago, when it filed for bankruptcy & shuttered all of their stores. Since, then the space has been vacant for 11 years.

After 11 years of the store being empty, it's a no-brainer for the Village to opt for a deal that generates tax revenue for the Village at 50% of the tax rate rather than $0 in sales tax revenue. This is especially so because -- aside from the hiring & environmental stipulations built into the deal with Dom's -- having a thriving business in that space will likely increase the assessed property value of the space, as well as increasing foot traffic on Lake St., which is a benefit to commerce in general along that strip.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more