LTH Home

Bob Mariano is getting back into groceries

Bob Mariano is getting back into groceries
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - August 5th, 2022, 2:55 am
    Post #31 - August 5th, 2022, 2:55 am Post #31 - August 5th, 2022, 2:55 am
    tjr wrote:
    zoid wrote:]Frankly this was the best deal Oak Park was ever going to get for that space.

I'll admit I don't know the history of that space, but it does seem that an alternative would have been to say, "If you want access to Oak Park customers, you'll have to let us have all the sales taxes just as other businesses do. If that doesn't work for you, try opening up in Austin instead." And knowing how economic development works, there are no ways to verify that Dom's follows through on hiring and environmental practices, or more importantly, penalties for not complying.

They've said that to multiple offers who all walked away.
    I understand this is far from ideal.
  • Post #32 - August 5th, 2022, 3:00 pm
    Post #32 - August 5th, 2022, 3:00 pm Post #32 - August 5th, 2022, 3:00 pm
    tjr wrote:
    zoid wrote:]Frankly this was the best deal Oak Park was ever going to get for that space.

I'll admit I don't know the history of that space, but it does seem that an alternative would have been to say, "If you want access to Oak Park customers, you'll have to let us have all the sales taxes just as other businesses do. If that doesn't work for you, try opening up in Austin instead." And knowing how economic development works, there are no ways to verify that Dom's follows through on hiring and environmental practices, or more importantly, penalties for not complying.

TJR, the history of the space is that Marshall Fields closed its Oak Park store about 40 years ago. Since then, there has been a continual struggle to occupy the street level retail space. For several years there was a Chernin's shoe store in the space. After they left -- in the 90s, as a I recall - Borders opened a store there, which flourished in the pre-Amazon economy. But Borders closed that store 11 years ago, when it filed for bankruptcy & shuttered all of their stores. Since, then the space has been vacant for 11 years.

After 11 years of the store being empty, it's a no-brainer for the Village to opt for a deal that generates tax revenue for the Village at 50% of the tax rate rather than $0 in sales tax revenue. This is especially so because -- aside from the hiring & environmental stipulations built into the deal with Dom's -- having a thriving business in that space will likely increase the assessed property value of the space, as well as increasing foot traffic on Lake St., which is a benefit to commerce in general along that strip.
  • Post #33 - October 3rd, 2022, 7:27 pm
    Post #33 - October 3rd, 2022, 7:27 pm Post #33 - October 3rd, 2022, 7:27 pm
    Despite the Village of Oak Park approving an agreement to split sales tax revenue, Dom’s Kitchen & Market will not be moving forward with its plans to open an Oak Park location in the historic Marshall Field and Company building on Lake Street.
    https://www.oakpark.com/2022/09/30/doms ... reet-deal/
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #34 - October 6th, 2022, 9:11 am
    Post #34 - October 6th, 2022, 9:11 am Post #34 - October 6th, 2022, 9:11 am
    The Trib just published an article (bylined 10/5/22), reporting on the Village of Oak Park's approval of the sales tax rebate for the proposed Dom's Market in the Marshall Fields building. See https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/ ... story.html

If you just read the Trib article, you would conclude that the project is moving forward. But, as Dave148 posted on 10/3/22, per Block Club, the Village has since announced that Dom's has pulled out of the deal. And, in fact, the Village's website posts a press release, dated 9/30/22, that the deal is dead. See https://www.oak-park.us/news/plans-1144 ... ng-forward

Very confused reporting by the Trib.
  • Post #35 - October 6th, 2022, 10:04 am
    Post #35 - October 6th, 2022, 10:04 am Post #35 - October 6th, 2022, 10:04 am
    masha wrote:The Trib just published an article (bylined 10/5/22), reporting on the Village of Oak Park's approval of the sales tax rebate for the proposed Dom's Market in the Marshall Fields building. See https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/ ... story.html

If you just read the Trib article, you would conclude that the project is moving forward. But, as Dave148 posted on 10/3/22, per Block Club, the Village has since announced that Dom's has pulled out of the deal. And, in fact, the Village's website posts a press release, dated 9/30/22, that the deal is dead. See https://www.oak-park.us/news/plans-1144 ... ng-forward

I think it speaks to the overall editorial quality at the Trib, which has fallen off a cliff over the past several years.

As for the market itself, there seems to be a black cloud of odd occurrences perpetually hovering over them. Coincidence? Unlikely.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #36 - October 6th, 2022, 10:31 am
    Post #36 - October 6th, 2022, 10:31 am Post #36 - October 6th, 2022, 10:31 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    masha wrote:The Trib just published an article (bylined 10/5/22), reporting on the Village of Oak Park's approval of the sales tax rebate for the proposed Dom's Market in the Marshall Fields building. See https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/ ... story.html

I think it speaks to the overall editorial quality at the Trib, which has fallen off a cliff over the past several years.

As for the market itself, there seems to be a black cloud of odd occurrences perpetually hovering over them. Coincidence? Unlikely.

=R=

Looking more closely at the Trib article, I note that it's reprinted from the Pioneer Press and written by a freelancer. But, that just reinforces the decline in the Trib's editorial quality. Once upon a time, they'd have staff journalists reporting on business news from the 'burbs, especially when it involves a business with a presence in the City.
  • Post #37 - October 6th, 2022, 2:43 pm
    Post #37 - October 6th, 2022, 2:43 pm Post #37 - October 6th, 2022, 2:43 pm
    The day that Alden closed on the Tribune purchase, we cancelled our subscription. Certainly not sorry that we did so.
  • Post #38 - October 10th, 2022, 10:13 pm
    Post #38 - October 10th, 2022, 10:13 pm Post #38 - October 10th, 2022, 10:13 pm
    Masha wrote:
    Looking more closely at the Trib article, I note that it's reprinted from the Pioneer Press and written by a freelancer. But, that just reinforces the decline in the Trib's editorial quality. Once upon a time, they'd have staff journalists reporting on business news from the 'burbs, especially when it involves a business with a presence in the City.

and lougord99 wrote:
    The day that Alden closed on the Tribune purchase, we cancelled our subscription. Certainly not sorry that we did so.

First an admission of guilt -- despite the temptation to follow lougord99's example we continued our Trib subscription. [We also continue a paper subscription to the Financial Times (London) for an international perspective.] The main reason is Wife Number One and I are so addicted to the local paper delivered to our door that we couldn't give it up. [Now I better understand how drug dealers operate.] It also hurts to know our money is going to Alden.

All the stated criticisms are valid. I could easily add to them. The Trib is only a shadow of what it once was.

However, there are a few modest offsetting factors. Food writers such as Nick Kindelsperger and Louisa Chu soldier on and we are happy to support them.

The editorial page is actually better in some ways! As part of the brutal cost cutting, several bat-shit editorial writers are gone. Arts critic Chris Jones is now doing double duty as he has also become the editorial page editor. No doubt there are constraints from above, but the editorial page has returned to a fairly rational center right position which it once had. I often disagree, but can calmly listen to their position. Sometimes they make good points.

It's a small list, but it's something.
    Where there’s smoke, there may be salmon.
  • Post #39 - October 10th, 2022, 10:19 pm
    Post #39 - October 10th, 2022, 10:19 pm Post #39 - October 10th, 2022, 10:19 pm
    George R wrote:The editorial page is actually better in some ways! As part of the brutal cost cutting, several bat-shit editorial writers are gone.

Actually, at least one of them died around that time. I find the current editorial stance pretty bland. But one person's bat shit is another person's fertilizer.
  • Post #40 - October 10th, 2022, 11:50 pm
    Post #40 - October 10th, 2022, 11:50 pm Post #40 - October 10th, 2022, 11:50 pm
    I live in a 57 unit condo building in Evanston, and we used to have at least five people in the building subscribe to the Chicago Tribune. A few months ago when I had to go down to the lobby early in the morning, there was exactly one Chicago Tribune sitting there. At least the Sun Times was recently purchased by a nonprofit. Doesn't Chicago Public Radio own them now?
  • Post #41 - October 11th, 2022, 5:14 am
    Post #41 - October 11th, 2022, 5:14 am Post #41 - October 11th, 2022, 5:14 am
    NFriday wrote:At least the Sun Times was recently purchased by a nonprofit. Doesn't Chicago Public Radio own them now?

Chicago Public Media, which owns WBEZ owns the Sun Times.
  • Post #42 - October 13th, 2022, 12:56 pm
    Post #42 - October 13th, 2022, 12:56 pm Post #42 - October 13th, 2022, 12:56 pm
    Dom's Kitchen & Market is trying to finalize a deal to bring its high-end grocery story to Fulton Market. A lease could be signed in the next couple weeks, a company executive said.

https://blockclubchicago.org/2022/10/13 ... ng-a-deal/
  • Post #43 - November 1st, 2022, 12:09 pm
    Post #43 - November 1st, 2022, 12:09 pm Post #43 - November 1st, 2022, 12:09 pm
    Dom’s Kitchen & Market, a small-footprint grocery store from Bob Mariano, opened its second location Tuesday in Old Town

https://blockclubchicago.org/2022/11/01 ... 5-by-2025/
  • Post #44 - September 20th, 2023, 7:17 am
    Post #44 - September 20th, 2023, 7:17 am Post #44 - September 20th, 2023, 7:17 am
    Dom’s Kitchen & Market, the upscale, downsized Chicago grocer, plans to open a store in a former River North Whole Foods next summer.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/business ... story.html
  • Post #45 - September 23rd, 2023, 11:03 pm
    Post #45 - September 23rd, 2023, 11:03 pm Post #45 - September 23rd, 2023, 11:03 pm
    Dave148 wrote:
    Dom’s Kitchen & Market, the upscale, downsized Chicago grocer, plans to open a store in a former River North Whole Foods next summer.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/business ... story.html

It's so not impressive.

I don't get it at all.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #46 - September 24th, 2023, 9:33 am
    Post #46 - September 24th, 2023, 9:33 am Post #46 - September 24th, 2023, 9:33 am
    pairs4life wrote:It's so not impressive.

I don't get it at all.
    Have you been to a Dom's? If so, please give details...
  • Post #47 - September 24th, 2023, 9:54 am
    Post #47 - September 24th, 2023, 9:54 am Post #47 - September 24th, 2023, 9:54 am
    i've been to the dom's market at the corner of halsted and diversey and i was quite impressed. this is not the place to go if you're on a really tight food budget, as there are many delicious foods to tempt you to overspend; or to stock up on toilet paper and a giant bag of potatoes.....but i was expecting higher than average prices for foods that i buy elsewhere, like vegetables and fruits, and since i'm very aware of the price points for these items, i saw that they were about the same as i'd pay at marianos and fresh farms. a good selection of organic produce was available and that's what i mostly buy. as bob himself says, this isnt an all encompassing grocery store. they had some gorgeous pastries, an impressive liquor section, including local vodka from a Black company here in chicago (and the 2 owners were handing out free samples that day). some good looking breads and a meat counter were the other areas that made a good impression on me. some prepared entree salads seemed competitively priced. i will definitely be going back. i happened to be walking from my car a few blocks away to the Landmark Theater down the block, but i saw the parking lot was quite small. that might be a concern if i was planning to park and shop. they have a security person watching parkers to make sure they are shoppers. again- not a full service store, but a well stocked one for higher end items.
  • Post #48 - September 24th, 2023, 10:03 am
    Post #48 - September 24th, 2023, 10:03 am Post #48 - September 24th, 2023, 10:03 am
    tjr wrote:Have you been to a Dom's? If so, please give details...

I've been to the Diversey / Halsted Dom's a few times and am quite impressed. Service, space, openness, various seating options for the prepared food kiosks, quality of product, and, most of all, their ability to huck $$ from the upscale denizens of the neighborhood.

Seems to me there is a significant upcharge on everything from Dial soap to prime meat. Which brings me to the main reason I might go to Dom's, relatively easy access to Bonci pizza, which I enjoy. Parking in the minuscule lot is easier than the Sangamon shop.

(now I'm just waiting for someone to post that Bonci is no longer at Dom's :) )
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #49 - September 26th, 2023, 12:36 am
    Post #49 - September 26th, 2023, 12:36 am Post #49 - September 26th, 2023, 12:36 am
    Sounds like a more limited version of a Sunset or Heinen's, worth going for a few things you like and know they have but not for complete shopping.
  • Post #50 - September 26th, 2023, 2:23 pm
    Post #50 - September 26th, 2023, 2:23 pm Post #50 - September 26th, 2023, 2:23 pm
    tjr wrote:Sounds like a more limited version of a Sunset or Heinen's, worth going for a few things you like and know they have but not for complete shopping.

My typical Sunset order includes:
    Rapa scrapple
    Taylor pork roll
    Romanian Kosher kishke
    Romanian Kosher dry salami
    Maille cornichon
    Empire schmaltz
    If you aren't tasting, you aren't cooking.
  • Post #51 - September 26th, 2023, 2:35 pm
    Post #51 - September 26th, 2023, 2:35 pm Post #51 - September 26th, 2023, 2:35 pm
    tjr wrote:Sounds like a more limited version of a Sunset or Heinen's, worth going for a few things you like and know they have but not for complete shopping.

What can’t you get at Sunset ?
  • Post #52 - September 26th, 2023, 4:38 pm
    Post #52 - September 26th, 2023, 4:38 pm Post #52 - September 26th, 2023, 4:38 pm
    lougord99 wrote:What can’t you get at Sunset ?
    Cheap prices :D
    Pool chlorine (I often do my main shopping at Woodman's for that reason, in summer anyway)
    Evil Ronnie wrote:My typical Sunset order includes:
    Rapa scrapple
    Taylor pork roll
    Romanian Kosher kishke
    Maille cornichon
    Empire schmaltz
    I don't see milk or TP on that list...
  • Post #53 - September 28th, 2023, 4:57 pm
    Post #53 - September 28th, 2023, 4:57 pm Post #53 - September 28th, 2023, 4:57 pm
    tjr wrote:
    lougord99 wrote:What can’t you get at Sunset ?
    Cheap prices :D
    Pool chlorine (I often do my main shopping at Woodman's for that reason, in summer anyway)
    Evil Ronnie wrote:My typical Sunset order includes:
    Rapa scrapple
    Taylor pork roll
    Romanian Kosher kishke
    Maille cornichon
    Empire schmaltz
    I don't see milk or TP on that list...

Ha!
    Woodman’s:
    Gasoline
    Noon Hour pickled herring
    White Lily Flour, Poppy Seed paste (muun) almond paste…
    Bergen’s Missouri ham, city and country, in a variety of configurations.
    Wisconsin cheeses
    If you aren't tasting, you aren't cooking.
  • Post #54 - November 27th, 2023, 2:50 pm
    Post #54 - November 27th, 2023, 2:50 pm Post #54 - November 27th, 2023, 2:50 pm
    Chicago-based grocery startups Foxtrot and Dom’s Kitchen & Market, which looked to carve a niche in Chicago’s competitive grocery market with upscale, small-format stores, will merge.

The merged companies will be helmed by Foxtrot CEO Liz Williams under a new entity, Outfox Hospitality. The deal is expected to close in the fourth quarter, the companies said in a news release Monday. Financial terms of the transaction were not disclosed.

Foxtrot has 15 stores in Chicago and another 17 across D.C., Dallas and Austin. Dom’s, which is also known for its upscale, downsized concept, has two Chicago stores, one in Lincoln Park and one in Old Town. The company announced plans in September to open a third location in River North next summer.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/business ... SnFuQSnQoc
  • Post #55 - December 6th, 2023, 4:17 am
    Post #55 - December 6th, 2023, 4:17 am Post #55 - December 6th, 2023, 4:17 am
    Andersonville Small Businesses Team Up To Stop Foxtrot From Opening In Neighborhood

https://blockclubchicago.org/2023/12/05 ... ghborhood/
  • Post #56 - December 16th, 2023, 1:39 pm
    Post #56 - December 16th, 2023, 1:39 pm Post #56 - December 16th, 2023, 1:39 pm
    Dom’s Kitchen & Market looks to Vernon Hills as first suburban location

https://www.dailyherald.com/20231215/bu ... -location/
  • Post #57 - December 17th, 2023, 9:45 pm
    Post #57 - December 17th, 2023, 9:45 pm Post #57 - December 17th, 2023, 9:45 pm
    From the article:
    “There used to be something here in Chicago that was called customer loyalty. Those days are long, long gone. People shop around,” Mike Mallon, consultant and broker for Dom’s told village officials during a recent presentation.
    Not sure what this has to do with the price of tea in China as the saying goes. I think if I were on the village board I would have responded, "There used to be something here in Chicago that was called customer service. Those days are long, long gone."

Anyhoo, the artist's rendering looks sorta like dining in, shockingly enough, the VH Mariano's. TIL: that was the second Marianos. Still among the nicer ones in the north. Get too close to cheeseland and they're pretty much indistinguishable from PickNSaves.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more