LTH Home

Comparative Experience Shopping in the Time of Covid

Comparative Experience Shopping in the Time of Covid
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 6 of 6 
  • Post #151 - December 21st, 2020, 3:16 pm
    Post #151 - December 21st, 2020, 3:16 pm Post #151 - December 21st, 2020, 3:16 pm
    The only place I have seen a line to get into the store since the governor started limiting the number of people in the stores is Trader Joe's. A friend of mine that likes to shop at the Evanston Aldi's told me a few weeks ago, that she won't go in there on Saturdays anymore because the store is too crowded. After I picked up my small order from Henry Brockman at noon, I drove to the Whole Foods and the Jewel on Green Bay. The Whole Foods had a sign that they have a limit of 150 people, but I highly suspect that they had more than that. I have never seen either that store or their downtown Evanston store limit the number of customers in the store. All of their stores have arrows, but nobody follows them.

I then went down the street to Jewel, where the crowds were not quite as bad, but were larger than I would have liked. I had a 10% off my shopping trip coupon for getting a flu shot there, and I finally remembered to use it. I bought more than I had intended to because of the coupon. It is strange because I went to the self checkout so I could use my own bags, and when I was ready to total my order, I asked the person in charge at self checkout to scan my coupon, and for some reason my coupon got scanned twice, but I should have gotten $5.70 off both times, but I got $5.44 deducted both times. The person who scanned the coupon has worked there 20+ years, and never screws up.

They still have the coupons if you get a flu shot there, but the coupons expire on 12/31. On Tuesday I had to go to Sam's Club to pick up a prescription, and there was no line there, but the crowds were not really bad. I only bought two additional items, and so the pharmacy tech agreed to ring them up for me too. I was going to get a box of Swanson chicken broth too, but I did not see them anywhere. They usually have them.
  • Post #152 - December 21st, 2020, 10:00 pm
    Post #152 - December 21st, 2020, 10:00 pm Post #152 - December 21st, 2020, 10:00 pm
    Hi,

I was in Mariano's in Bannockburn recently. They had pasted by the manager's window a capacity of something like 350. I am not there but maybe once a week, I have never seen half or even 25% capacity. Maybe it is the time of day I visit, I doubt I encounter 50 people.

Trader Joe's often have smaller footprints and capacity, plus robust patronage. They could easily go over 25% or 50% without much sweat.

Continental Sales just south of Midway Airport allows no more than 50 customers in their store at any one time. It is larger than any Trader Joe's and it does feel vacant when they restrict the number of visitors.

I cannot wait for all this to be over.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #153 - December 21st, 2020, 11:51 pm
    Post #153 - December 21st, 2020, 11:51 pm Post #153 - December 21st, 2020, 11:51 pm
    Since Kroger took them over, I don't think Mariano's does nearly as much business as they did when they first opened. There have been a few times I have been at the Northbrook store around 4:00, and the store was not very busy, and there was nobody working in the produce section. Whole Foods and Jewel would have at least two people working in produce at that time, and they are a lot busier. Whole Foods actually was more crowded than Jewel was on Sunday, but there store is not as large.

I just found out that agricultural workers are in the second group to get a vaccine, and so hopefully my sister and her husband can get theirs next month. I am in the third group, and so hopefully I will get mine in February or March. I can't wait for this to be over.
  • Post #154 - December 22nd, 2020, 5:22 am
    Post #154 - December 22nd, 2020, 5:22 am Post #154 - December 22nd, 2020, 5:22 am
    NFriday wrote:Since Kroger took them over, I don't think Mariano's does nearly as much business as they did when they first opened. There have been a few times I have been at the Northbrook store around 4:00, and the store was not very busy, and there was nobody working in the produce section. Whole Foods and Jewel would have at least two people working in produce at that time, and they are a lot busier. Whole Foods actually was more crowded than Jewel was on Sunday, but there store is not as large.

For what it's worth, we have been rotating between carry-out/pick-up at Jewel & Mariano's (the Vernon Hills location). There is no charge (I believe) for either. After shopping online--not bad interfaces on both--you drive to the designated parking spot, call the number, and they bring it out & place the bags in the back of our SUV--we usually leave a five dollar bill as a tip. Pretty sweet. And that's why the stores themselves might be less than crowded.

The only sour part is that at both Jewel and Mariano's, sometimes the substitution decisions are less than smart, occasionally downright toad-like. Early months of the lockdown, the shopper would call and go over the out-of-stock items, and offer subs. Now it's catch as catch can. Once we ordered nova lox and got a fresh salmon fillet. But for free, it's tolerable.
  • Post #155 - December 22nd, 2020, 10:03 am
    Post #155 - December 22nd, 2020, 10:03 am Post #155 - December 22nd, 2020, 10:03 am
    I haven't yet tried pickup from the Vernon Hills Mariano's, so thanks, Jnm, for the description of your experience. Glad to hear it's so smooth.

I wonder if more people getting groceries this way is reducing the number of people in grocery stores at all. When I've been in grocery stores lately, it seems that half or more of the people there --- usually distinguished by their black clothing or other uniformish look and their moving around quite quickly --- are people gathering groceries for online orders. I guess that when those people are store employees who fill such orders throughout the day rather than shoppers for individual customers, that does reduce the number of people in the store.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #156 - December 22nd, 2020, 11:58 am
    Post #156 - December 22nd, 2020, 11:58 am Post #156 - December 22nd, 2020, 11:58 am
    I have shopped at marianos in bannockburn probably weekly since it opened, and other than a few visits, it has never seemed busy. I have never been able to figure out all the cars in the parking lot because unless there are several dozen behind the scenes employees, which is possible, there are not as many people as cars.

-Will
  • Post #157 - December 22nd, 2020, 12:27 pm
    Post #157 - December 22nd, 2020, 12:27 pm Post #157 - December 22nd, 2020, 12:27 pm
    WillG wrote:I have shopped at marianos in bannockburn probably weekly since it opened, and other than a few visits, it has never seemed busy. I have never been able to figure out all the cars in the parking lot because unless there are several dozen behind the scenes employees, which is possible, there are not as many people as cars.

-Will

We take our dogs to Prairie Wolf most weekends and I always see a lot of cars in the lot as we pass Mariano's and have assumed that it was a crowded store.
  • Post #158 - December 22nd, 2020, 5:20 pm
    Post #158 - December 22nd, 2020, 5:20 pm Post #158 - December 22nd, 2020, 5:20 pm
    You don't see as many large groups of families shopping in Jewel as you used to. When I was there this Sunday at 1:30, I only saw one family there. The rest were individuals or couples. I never see the instacart people at Jewel, but usually I go there in the evening when they probably would not be working, and the last two times I went on Sunday.

Concerning Mariano's their stores were not very busy even before the pandemic. Before Kroger took them over they used to be crazy busy, and I enjoyed the store more. Their deli and produce sections were way better then. The only good thing about Kroger taking them over is that their sales are lots better than they were. Before the pandemic, I used to be involved with a group that met monthly in Northbrook, and I would stop at the Mariano's store on my way home. Now we meet via Zoom, and I have been to the Skokie store once since the pandemic hit. I don't set foot in a grocery store as often now, and Jewel and Whole Foods are more conveniently located than Mariano's is.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more