LTH Home

Northwestern Cutlery moving north

Northwestern Cutlery moving north
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Northwestern Cutlery moving north

Post #1 - July 7th, 2020, 4:02 pm
    Post #1 - July 7th, 2020, 4:02 pm Post #1 - July 7th, 2020, 4:02 pm
    End of an era. Per Nick Kindelsperger at The Trib's website . . .

at chicagotribune.com, Nick Kindelsperger wrote:One of the last vestiges of Fulton Market’s once bustling meatpacking district is moving out. Northwestern Cutlery (810 W. Lake St.), which has operated in the neighborhood for nearly 50 years, will move to a larger store in the northwest neighborhood of Norwood Park in September, after selling the property to developers.

Northwestern Cutlery leaving Fulton Market after nearly 50 years, selling building and moving north.

=R=
    By protecting others, you save yourself. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself. --Kambei Shimada

Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #2 - July 7th, 2020, 6:46 pm
    Post #2 - July 7th, 2020, 6:46 pm Post #2 - July 7th, 2020, 6:46 pm
    As long as they're staying in business! They're our go-to place for knife sharpening, the best around.

I bet they'll have free parking at their new place! :lol: (For those who have never been... Even though they were practically in the Loop, they had a free parking lot on the premises for customers, which was a tremendous convenience for dropping off and picking up knives, given their location.)
  • Post #3 - July 7th, 2020, 8:44 pm
    Post #3 - July 7th, 2020, 8:44 pm Post #3 - July 7th, 2020, 8:44 pm
    7 minutes from my house. Oh lord, my wallet is cryin’.
  • Post #4 - July 9th, 2020, 5:05 pm
    Post #4 - July 9th, 2020, 5:05 pm Post #4 - July 9th, 2020, 5:05 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:End of an era. Per Nick Kindelsperger at The Trib's website . . .

at chicagotribune.com, Nick Kindelsperger wrote:One of the last vestiges of Fulton Market’s once bustling meatpacking district is moving out. Northwestern Cutlery (810 W. Lake St.), which has operated in the neighborhood for nearly 50 years, will move to a larger store in the northwest neighborhood of Norwood Park in September, after selling the property to developers.

Northwestern Cutlery leaving Fulton Market after nearly 50 years, selling building and moving north.

=R=

That's too bad. What's left as a frakking marker of the neighborhood says the vegetarian who likes historic neighborhoods ?! And yes the current location was a couple of miles from my home and they have parking. :cry:
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #5 - July 9th, 2020, 5:44 pm
    Post #5 - July 9th, 2020, 5:44 pm Post #5 - July 9th, 2020, 5:44 pm
    The new location, if this is help to anyone, is just steps from the Harlem Ave./O'Hare Blue line stop.

Also, steps from where I used to live [but still convenient from current location].

My knives could use a good touch-up, so I'm looking forward to the opening.

Giovanna
    =o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=o=

"Enjoy every sandwich."

-Warren Zevon
  • Post #6 - July 9th, 2020, 7:05 pm
    Post #6 - July 9th, 2020, 7:05 pm Post #6 - July 9th, 2020, 7:05 pm
    Giovanna wrote:The new location, if this is help to anyone, is just steps from the Harlem Ave./O'Hare Blue line stop.

And for those traveling by car, it's at the Harlem Avenue exit from the Kennedy.

map
  • Post #7 - July 9th, 2020, 9:25 pm
    Post #7 - July 9th, 2020, 9:25 pm Post #7 - July 9th, 2020, 9:25 pm
    What I have come to appreciate: Selling their property might be enough money to retire. Yet they are moving to new location and continuing on.

There is a another poster who has a business in the same neighborhood. They once commented their property is worth more than their business. As I recall, they are still working their business.

Master Butcher Kari Underly lived in that neighborhood. When she presented to Culinary Historians a few years ago, she commented how this neighborhood was being reshaped. She was not particularly happy about it.

About a year ago, I was on a panel in the West Randolph Street area. I could not find parking at all. I ended up with valet parking and made a point of keeping the receipt. I was worried I might need to prove I did not illegally park my car a few months later. Nothing happened, but I was prepared.

Not too many years ago, you could roll a bowling ball down that street at night and hit nothing but the curb.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #8 - November 11th, 2020, 6:37 pm
    Post #8 - November 11th, 2020, 6:37 pm Post #8 - November 11th, 2020, 6:37 pm
    Driving by this evening, I did a doubletake when I noticed this place for the first time. I hadn't seen this thread when it was last active. They're now open. I wouldn't be surprised if there was parking in the back, it's all lot back there.

7138 W Higgins Ave
  • Post #9 - November 12th, 2020, 9:13 am
    Post #9 - November 12th, 2020, 9:13 am Post #9 - November 12th, 2020, 9:13 am
    BrendanR wrote:Driving by this evening, I did a doubletake when I noticed this place for the first time. I hadn't seen this thread when it was last active. They're now open. I wouldn't be surprised if there was parking in the back, it's all lot back there.

7138 W Higgins Ave

According to the website, there is parking in the back.

https://nwcutlery.com/
    -Mary

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more