LTH Home

Pimp my cookies - what went "wrong"?

Pimp my cookies - what went "wrong"?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 3 of 3 
  • Post #61 - July 27th, 2020, 4:21 pm
    Post #61 - July 27th, 2020, 4:21 pm Post #61 - July 27th, 2020, 4:21 pm
    pairs4life wrote:I am glad you like them. Try the rye one from Milk Street. And then I think Stella Park's take on Tate's. I just had Tate's Oatmeal Raisin which were very good but only crispy and crackly along the edges. The center being far chewier. Are their chocolate chip cookies similar?

Will do. But before that, I wanted to try the Oatmeal Raisin recipe I've been refining, using the brown butter technique from the ATK recipe. Wow! These are really good . . .

Oatmeal Rum-Raisin Cookies w/ Toasted Pecans (brown butter method)

Crispy on the outside, chewy on the inside and pleasantly dense, with no cakiness. The flavor, with the addition of the brown butter (75% of the total butter used), was on a whole other level. I'm pleased. I'm going to edit the recipe in my files as I made them this time and move on. For my taste, I'm not sure these can be improved upon.

=R=
    By protecting others, you save yourself. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself. --Kambei Shimada

Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #62 - July 27th, 2020, 4:46 pm
    Post #62 - July 27th, 2020, 4:46 pm Post #62 - July 27th, 2020, 4:46 pm
    The final recipe he comes up with may not be what you are looking for, but this evaluation of what changing one ingredient at a time does (with pictures) is really helpful

https://sweets.seriouseats.com/2013/12/ ... okies.html

And hey Xexo - I was THISCLOSE to Salem on Saturday, so LMK next time you are offloading cookies...
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #63 - July 27th, 2020, 7:34 pm
    Post #63 - July 27th, 2020, 7:34 pm Post #63 - July 27th, 2020, 7:34 pm
    leek wrote:And hey Xexo - I was THISCLOSE to Salem on Saturday, so LMK next time you are offloading cookies...
    Will do. You're in Portland, right? I head up there on occasion as well. Not as much as I used to, but if I have spare baked goods and am headed your way, I'll get a hold of you. Enjoy this nice, hot weather.
    The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
  • Post #64 - August 1st, 2020, 3:23 pm
    Post #64 - August 1st, 2020, 3:23 pm Post #64 - August 1st, 2020, 3:23 pm
    These are the Serious Eats/Stellar Parks take on Tate's Chocolate Chip Cookies . . .

"Tate's-Style" Chocolate Chip Cookies

Bottom line: these are very excellent. :D And they're very close to my initial objective. They spread a bit more than I expected, which is fine. Next time I'd bake 15 per sheet instead of 20. A few of them spread into each other during but that was a minor issue. They separated easily after they'd cooled off just a bit. They're not entirely crisp but they're crispy around the edges and chewy toward the centers. They will supposedly get more crispier :D as time passes. Great toffee and brown sugar flavor. A really specific but easy to follow recipe.

=R=
    By protecting others, you save yourself. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself. --Kambei Shimada

• Post #65 - August 1st, 2020, 3:43 pm
    Post #65 - August 1st, 2020, 3:43 pm Post #65 - August 1st, 2020, 3:43 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:These are the Serious Eats/Stellar Parks take on Tate's Chocolate Chip Cookies . . .

Bottom line: these are very excellent. :D And they're very close to my initial objective. They spread a bit more than I expected, which is fine. Next time I'd bake 15 per sheet instead of 20. A few of them spread into each other during but that was a minor issue. They separated easily after they'd cooled off just a bit. They're not entirely crisp but they're crispy around the edges and chewy toward the centers. They will supposedly get more crispier :D as time passes. Great toffee and brown sugar flavor. A really specific but easy to follow recipe.

=R=
    Very nice Mr. Suburban. Mine came out even thinner than that, but they never crisped up as stated. I like the looks of yours better. Do try Mr. lebovitz's cookies. Those came out crisp for me, but thinner. Hmmm, maybe I need to take the baking stone out of the oven when I bake cookies.

As an aside, have you identifed Mr. Wiviott's knife in the Coronavirus cooking thread?
    The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
  • Post #66 - August 1st, 2020, 7:43 pm
    Post #66 - August 1st, 2020, 7:43 pm Post #66 - August 1st, 2020, 7:43 pm
    Xexo wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:These are the Serious Eats/Stellar Parks take on Tate's Chocolate Chip Cookies . . .

=R=
    Very nice Mr. Suburban. Mine came out even thinner than that, but they never crisped up as stated. I like the looks of yours better. Do try Mr. lebovitz's cookies. Those came out crisp for me, but thinner. Hmmm, maybe I need to take the baking stone out of the oven when I bake cookies.

As an aside, have you identifed Mr. Wiviott's knife in the Coronavirus cooking thread?

Still need to do the latter.

Just an fyi, I have a baking stone (steel) in my oven that is positioned near the bottom, a few inches below the middle rack -- the rack on which I baked these cookies. I baked them one sheet at a time, rotating the pan 180 degrees about halfway though each bake.

=R=

• Post #67 - August 1st, 2020, 9:54 pm
    Post #67 - August 1st, 2020, 9:54 pm Post #67 - August 1st, 2020, 9:54 pm
    Xexo wrote:
    leek wrote:And hey Xexo - I was THISCLOSE to Salem on Saturday, so LMK next time you are offloading cookies...
    Will do. You're in Portland, right? I head up there on occasion as well. Not as much as I used to, but if I have spare baked goods and am headed your way, I'll get a hold of you. Enjoy this nice, hot weather.

Yes, inner SE, near Ava Gene and Pok Pok. Cool - I will have jam for you. Will PM you my email and phone.
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #68 - August 2nd, 2020, 8:50 am
    Post #68 - August 2nd, 2020, 8:50 am Post #68 - August 2nd, 2020, 8:50 am
    leek wrote:
    Xexo wrote:

Yes, inner SE, near Ava Gene and Pok Pok. Cool - I will have jam for you. Will PM you my email and phone.
    I swear I replied to this yesterday, but it ain't here. Must have previewed then closed the tab. Getting old is heck. Anyway, PM sent.
  • Post #69 - August 2nd, 2020, 8:53 am
    Post #69 - August 2nd, 2020, 8:53 am Post #69 - August 2nd, 2020, 8:53 am
    Hey Mr. Suburban, maybe you need to use different Chocolate Chips? A Tesla engineer retooled the Chocolate Chip to make it better. Read about it here and here. A 17.6 oz bag for only $30!
  • Post #70 - August 2nd, 2020, 10:55 am
    Post #70 - August 2nd, 2020, 10:55 am Post #70 - August 2nd, 2020, 10:55 am
    Xexo wrote:Hey Mr. Suburban, maybe you need to use different Chocolate Chips? A Tesla engineer retooled the Chocolate Chip to make it better. Read about it here and here. A 17.6 oz bag for only $30!

They are single-origin discs. That's actually important to me if I can't get fair-trade/organic chocolate. I would buy them.

If I buy a regular large not tasty chocolate chip cookie from Starbucks it would cost my just under $3. Did I mention it would also be gross?

Thanks for the heads-up I may give the chips a try.-- LLAP
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #71 - August 2nd, 2020, 12:43 pm
    Post #71 - August 2nd, 2020, 12:43 pm Post #71 - August 2nd, 2020, 12:43 pm
    pairs4life wrote:
    Xexo wrote:Hey Mr. Suburban, maybe you need to use different Chocolate Chips? A Tesla engineer retooled the Chocolate Chip to make it better. Read about it here and here. A 17.6 oz bag for only $30!

They are single-origin discs. That's actually important to me if I can't get fair-trade/organic chocolate. I would buy them.

If I buy a regular large not tasty chocolate chip cookie from Starbucks it would cost my just under $3. Did I mention it would also be gross?

Thanks for the heads-up I may give the chips a try.-- LLAP
    Most welcome. Do let us know when you try them.
  • Post #72 - August 2nd, 2020, 2:29 pm
    Post #72 - August 2nd, 2020, 2:29 pm Post #72 - August 2nd, 2020, 2:29 pm
    pairs4life wrote:They are single-origin discs. That's actually important to me if I can't get fair-trade/organic chocolate. I would buy them.

Though not unimportant to many of us, that detail is basically a footnote in both the linked pieces. Seems like the focus of the story is their shape and weight, which supposedly make for enhanced cookie-baking and eating. It isn't really made clear in either piece how the separate factors of R&D/production process and origin have contributed to their price. I've seen plenty of fair trade chocolate out there at less than $30/pound, so my guess is that the former -- along with the anticipated customer demographic for this product -- are driving the price.

I don't think any of the chocolate chips I use are fair-trade. I guess that makes me a bad person. :( I'd love some recommendations, though.

=R=

• Post #73 - August 3rd, 2020, 10:52 am
    Post #73 - August 3rd, 2020, 10:52 am Post #73 - August 3rd, 2020, 10:52 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    pairs4life wrote:They are single-origin discs. That's actually important to me if I can't get fair-trade/organic chocolate. I would buy them.

Though not unimportant to many of us, that detail is basically a footnote in both the linked pieces. Seems like the focus of the story is their shape and weight, which supposedly make for enhanced cookie-baking and eating. It isn't really made clear in either piece how the separate factors of R&D/production process and origin have contributed to their price. I've seen plenty of fair trade chocolate out there at less than $30/pound, so my guess is that the former -- along with the anticipated customer demographic for this product -- are driving the price.

I don't think any of the chocolate chips I use are fair-trade. I guess that makes me a bad person. :( I'd love some recommendations, though.

=R=

Agreed. But I ordered them so will keep you posted.

I have had success with organic chips at the Dill Pickle Co-Op and nuts.com. I have also hand-chipped chocolate. Aldi's Moser Roth mini-bars are a breeze to chop but they don't have the stabilizers so there's that. I frequently give those mini-bars as "token gifts" b/c they are actually really tasty.
    Ava-"If you get down and out, just get in the kitchen and bake a cake."- Jean Strickland

Horto In Urbs- Falling in love with Urban Vegetable Gardening
  • Post #74 - 41 minutes ago
    Post #74 - 41 minutes ago Post #74 - 41 minutes ago
    Gypsy Boy wrote:. . . Jacques Torres's recipe . . .
    ronnie_suburban wrote:I never even considered the Toll House recipe because I just assumed that the way the food universe has evolved, there were better ones out there. Maybe I'll give it a try. As for Jacques Torres, it's unlikely to happen. I've had those cookies (baked by a friend) and they are great but the required 24-72 fridge time before baking is a total deal-breaker for me. One great thing about baking cookies is that not much advance planning is required. I can bake them impulsively and can go from wanting them to having them in about an hour. Not even close with the Torres recipe/method.

And yet, now we wait . . .

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough, Jacques Torres's Recipe

The path to knowledge is painful and unpredictable, isn't it? :D Nearly everything I've read about this dough, which I "whipped up" on Friday afternoon, suggests that the ideal time to bake it is 72 hours after it's made. That means that this will be ready to bake on Monday afternoon. Until then, I'll have to suffer through eating what's left of the Stella Parks/Tate's-Style cookies I made last week. Speaking of which . . .

Xexo wrote:. . . The Tate cookies from Stella Parks at Serious Eats are good, but they didn't stay crisp for me like she said they would.

For me, they have gotten a bit crispier over the past week but I can't say they've gotten better. In fact, even though I've kept them packed up in a tightly sealed plastic container, the additional days of storage have brought with them some off flavors (especially in the finish) that were definitely not there in the first few days after they were baked. Even though I gave a bunch of the 56-cookie batch away, my guess is that some of these will expire completely before we can eat them. That means that by Monday, when the Torres dough is ready to bake, I could be jonesing! :lol:

=R=

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events