LTH Home

Pimp my cookies - what went "wrong"?

Pimp my cookies - what went "wrong"?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 4 of 4 
  • Post #91 - August 29th, 2020, 12:31 pm
    Post #91 - August 29th, 2020, 12:31 pm Post #91 - August 29th, 2020, 12:31 pm
    on another thread on another board, Xexo wrote:All of her [Mrs. Fields] cookies used the same base. I'll pm you.

Being a neophyte baker, I had to go online to find a recipe that provided a bit more detail than what Mr. X sent me. Not surprisingly, there are about 50 billion copycat recipes for Mrs. Fields White Chocolate & Macadamia Nut cookies posted on the internet. So, taking into account what Mr. X sent me -- and a few things I've learned over the past few months -- I found one I thought would be close and tweaked it a bit for this largely nostalgia-induced bake.

The results were nearly identical to what I remember. Even though I cut the overall sugar by 10%, they're very sweet and as such, they're pretty one-dimensional but they're also damned good. Fwiw, I used Ghirardelli chips (what I was able to get and happily, a pretty good match for what I remember) and salted & roasted macadamia nuts (the last of the stash I muled back from Maui in January), cutting the larger nuts in half . . .

"Mrs. Fields" White Chocolate & Macadamia Nut Cookies

=R=
    By protecting others, you save yourself. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself. --Kambei Shimada

Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #92 - September 3rd, 2020, 7:00 pm
    Post #92 - September 3rd, 2020, 7:00 pm Post #92 - September 3rd, 2020, 7:00 pm
    Well, better to be lucky than good. Tried a mash-up today incorporating the toffee from Mindy Segal's Cookie Love and ATK's "perfect" chocolate chip cookies. All's well that ends well but the bake did not go at all as I thought it would.

I envisioned ending up with pretty much the same cookies but spiked with little nuggets of toffee. Instead, the toffee melted, everything ran (including the chocolate chips) and the cookies ended up flat, thin and chewy. My guess is that once the extra sugar in toffee began to melt, it changed the chemistry of the cookie, and everything that followed.

Happily, they're also delicious. Ironically, these are a pretty solid match for the cookies I originally intended to bake the first time I peered down this rabbit hole . . .

ATK "Perfect" Chocolate Chip Cookies with Mindy Segal's Toffee

You can see some of the melted toffee on the right side of the front cookie.

=R=
    By protecting others, you save yourself. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself. --Kambei Shimada

• Post #93 - September 3rd, 2020, 7:22 pm
    Post #93 - September 3rd, 2020, 7:22 pm Post #93 - September 3rd, 2020, 7:22 pm
    You are on a roll Mr. Suburban. Your White Chocolate and Macadamia Nut cookies and now this one, the Mr. Suburban Chocolate Chip and Toffee cookie! You should open your own cookie shop. :lol:
    The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln
  • Post #94 - September 4th, 2020, 11:56 pm
    Post #94 - September 4th, 2020, 11:56 pm Post #94 - September 4th, 2020, 11:56 pm
    Xexo wrote:You are on a roll Mr. Suburban. Your White Chocolate and Macadamia Nut cookies and now this one, the Mr. Suburban Chocolate Chip and Toffee cookie! You should open your own cookie shop. :lol:

LOL, too much work! :D Plus, giving them away is so much better than selling them.

My friend (elfin, here on LTH) sent me a link to this informative video, which provides some excellent details about how changing the inputs in cookie baking will affect the results . . .

How Every Common Mistake Changes A Cookie

=R=

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events