I take one for the team - Sweet Earth Benevolent "Bacon"
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • I take one for the team - Sweet Earth Benevolent "Bacon"

Post #1 - July 13th, 2020, 1:49 pm
    Post #1 - July 13th, 2020, 1:49 pm Post #1 - July 13th, 2020, 1:49 pm
    Sweet Earth Enlightened Foods - Hickory & Sage Flavored Benevolent Bacon
    Plant-based substitute for Pork Bacon

Sweet Earth Enlightened Foods - Hickory & Sage Flavored Benevolent Bacon

Not a whole lot to say here. I thought it would be bad and it was -- even worse than I imagined it would be. But it was being offered as an add-on to our weekly delivery from Imperfect Foods (some of which we've been skipping but that's another story) and I figured I'd give it a try.

First, other than in shape and packaging type, it was nothing like bacon. And maybe it wouldn't have been so offensive and disappointing if they just dropped the word "bacon" from the product name and the description. Call it what it is (extruded vital wheat gluten strips?) and don't set an obviously unreasonable expectation. But even when assessed on its own terms, it's pretty unpalatable, with a fakey-smoky aroma and a spongy texture. And it probably goes without saying -- but I'll say it anyway -- that it differed very little between it's uncooked and cooked states . . .

Benevolent Bacon, Cooked
    After a little crisping but time in the pan did very little to change this.

If I were a vegetarian, I don't think I'd seek out products like these. I'd be looking for more straightforward, less manipulated foods that don't try to emulate meated products. Perhaps this is intended for recent vegetarian converts who need to wean themselves? But it's so dissimilar to the real thing, I cannot believe it really scratches that itch.

I feel bad wasting the remainder but we're probably just going to throw it away. It can't be eaten straight and I cannot think of anything I'd make that wouldn't be impacted negatively via its inclusion.

=R=
    By protecting others, you save yourself. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself. --Kambei Shimada

Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #2 - July 15th, 2020, 8:33 am
    Post #2 - July 15th, 2020, 8:33 am Post #2 - July 15th, 2020, 8:33 am
    It reminds me of the gyros "meat loaf" -- which is not plant based -- sold at supermarkets: rounded-off rectangles of something so completely unlike the genuine article.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #3 - July 15th, 2020, 10:13 am
    Post #3 - July 15th, 2020, 10:13 am Post #3 - July 15th, 2020, 10:13 am
    JoelF wrote:It reminds me of the gyros "meat loaf" -- which is not plant based -- sold at supermarkets: rounded-off rectangles of something so completely unlike the genuine article.

Yes, its shape is eerily similar in shape to the meat sold in grocery store gyros kits.

=R=
    By protecting others, you save yourself. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself. --Kambei Shimada

Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #4 - July 15th, 2020, 10:39 am
    Post #4 - July 15th, 2020, 10:39 am Post #4 - July 15th, 2020, 10:39 am
    That almost looks like a Beggin Strip, one of the more popular dog treats.

I liked it in the "good old days" when the Adventist hospitals were serving protein loaf and not trying to pretend it was meat-like.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more