LTH Home

ISO pickling guidance - after the pickling

ISO pickling guidance - after the pickling
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 4 of 4 
  • Post #91 - September 1st, 2020, 11:07 am
    Post #91 - September 1st, 2020, 11:07 am Post #91 - September 1st, 2020, 11:07 am
    Ronnie,

I've gotten addicted to Smashed Cucumber Salad, a Woks of Life version of a Sichuan
    Summer cucumber salad. I make it basically every other day, and always have a bowl
    sitting around. Every time I pass through the kitchen, I take a chunk or two. Highest and
    best use for cukes from my garden I've ever found. For bigger, non-English cukes, I peel
    them before use.

Geo

https://thewoksoflife.com/smashed-asian-cucumber-salad/
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #92 - September 5th, 2020, 5:59 pm
    Post #92 - September 5th, 2020, 5:59 pm Post #92 - September 5th, 2020, 5:59 pm
    Geo wrote:I've gotten addicted to Smashed Cucumber Salad, a Woks of Life version of a Sichuan
    Summer cucumber salad. I make it basically every other day, and always have a bowl
    sitting around. Every time I pass through the kitchen, I take a chunk or two. Highest and
    best use for cukes from my garden I've ever found. For bigger, non-English cukes, I peel
    them before use.

Geo

https://thewoksoflife.com/smashed-asian-cucumber-salad/

I've seen a few recipes like this one and they really appeal to me. I do plan on trying one out before the cucumber pipeline dwindles for the season. However, today I made what I expect will be my last batch of bread & butter pickles of the season . . .

Sliced Cucumbers, Onions & Peppers
    Not exactly my favorite cutting device but with about 7 pounds of cucumbers to process, it made the most sense.

Jarred Up
    2 half-gallons, 1 quart and 1 pint.

I often feel like a vegetable traffic controller this time of year. :D

=R=
    By protecting others, you save yourself. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself. --Kambei Shimada

Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #93 - September 5th, 2020, 6:15 pm
    Post #93 - September 5th, 2020, 6:15 pm Post #93 - September 5th, 2020, 6:15 pm
    Bien fait Ronnie, that's a lot of cukes!

I had a "v" mandolin just like that once, bought it from a guy hawking them in front of a Kaufhof department store in Düsseldorf. It worked pretty well until I broke the hand guard. Now I've got a Japanese version.

Made smashed Sichuan cukes again today. I'm really addicted to them. Usually I have an open bowl of them on the counter in the kitchen now at all times. Folks just wander buy and randomly grab a bite.

Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #94 - September 6th, 2020, 9:09 pm
    Post #94 - September 6th, 2020, 9:09 pm Post #94 - September 6th, 2020, 9:09 pm
    made habanero cucumber pickles, tasty
    Being gauche rocks, stun the bourgeoisie
  • Post #95 - September 16th, 2020, 11:28 am
    Post #95 - September 16th, 2020, 11:28 am Post #95 - September 16th, 2020, 11:28 am
    It looks like circumstances have lined up for a few days of eating leftovers, though I suppose that could change. So, not much cooking this week which, I hope, will be kind of nice. In the meantime, even though they're not technically "done," I checked in on the batch of bread and butters that I started on 8/29. Ms. Ziedrich says to let them go at least 21 days. Even though today is only Day 19, since they were just sitting in the fridge, I decided to try them out and I'm very pleased with the results (so far) . . .

Bread & Butters, Day 19

Great flavor, not overly sweet, and great snap and crunchiness. These are the Bread And Butters My Way from The Joy of Pickling, a recipe (and book) that I highly recommend. The hot red peppers I added worked out very well. They imparted a touch of spiciness into the entire batch and gave up enough of their heat that they are extremely pleasant to eat on their own.

=R=
    By protecting others, you save yourself. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself. --Kambei Shimada

• Post #96 - September 19th, 2020, 5:21 pm
    Post #96 - September 19th, 2020, 5:21 pm Post #96 - September 19th, 2020, 5:21 pm
    Saw an interesting video on youtube that inspired me to take a shot at a sambal-like fermented red chili sauce . . .

Mise En Place
    Chilis (most likely cayennes but sold only as red hot finger peppers, so I'm not entirely sure), garlic, ginger, sugar, salt & gin (subbed for baijiu, which I did not have on hand).

Vitamix
    The chilis, chopped into ~1" pieces, along with the garlic and ginger, get processed into a coarsely-chopped mixture.

Fermentation Crock & Yu Kurosaki VG10 Fujin, 210mm
    From here the salt, sugar and gin are mixed in, after which the moat is filled and the crock is covered. These are not to be fussed with again for at least 15 days but I like this vessel because I can see into it without opening it. That should reduce the urge to open the crock at all. I think Rene G was wondering about clear crocks upthread. You don't see a lot of them, though they're readily available. That said, it's small (1.3 gallons) and made of pretty thin glass, so it's never going to be my #1 vessel, and I don't imagine the durability is that great, either.

=R=

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events