LTH Home

Burmese Dried Taro Balls – How to Use?

Burmese Dried Taro Balls – How to Use?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Burmese Dried Taro Balls – How to Use?

Post #1 - July 27th, 2020, 12:42 pm
    Post #1 - July 27th, 2020, 12:42 pm Post #1 - July 27th, 2020, 12:42 pm
    Usually for questions like this I find it easier to do my own online searches, but I'm coming up empty on these lumps.

I bought this bag last year at Aung Asian Market, a great Burmese store in Huron SD. Their selection completely outclasses any in Chicago. Though made in Thailand, the label suggests the product is marketed to the Karen people of Myanmar, who are heavily represented in Huron. It seems reasonable to think about rehydrating the balls and serving them in some sort of soupy curry. There must be some traditional use(s) though. For all I know, they might be served as a sweet snack. I tried to ask when I bought them, but language was an issue. Any ideas?
  • Post #2 - July 27th, 2020, 9:09 pm
    Post #2 - July 27th, 2020, 9:09 pm Post #2 - July 27th, 2020, 9:09 pm
    Why not contact the Burmese restaurant in Wheaton?

Have you tried one? Fuchsia Dunlop was somewhere in China where a hard food item was left in their mouth cheek. It would adsorb the liquid from your saliva to soften a layer, then you scrapped it off and swallowed it. It then went back to your mouth to absorb more saliva to soften another layer to eat.

While Fuchsia relayed this story, another woman listening in remembered reading about this while in grade school and never seen one before.

Of course, this could be far from what you have on hand. I just remembered this now as I was writing this.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more