LTH Home

Pellet Grill/Smoker

Pellet Grill/Smoker
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Pellet Grill/Smoker

Post #1 - August 18th, 2020, 11:40 am
    Post #1 - August 18th, 2020, 11:40 am Post #1 - August 18th, 2020, 11:40 am
    I've been grilling and smoking with hardwood and hardwood/charcoal for years but as empty nesters with some family members transitioning away from meat, not to mention a less social COVID summer, I thought I'd look for a more compact grilling option. I was intrigued by pellet grills (friend has owned a Traeger for over a decade and still raves about it) and bought into an Indiegogo in late spring and it was just delivered.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/asmo ... 20555223#/

Compact and although marketed as portable, it's a hefty 40+ pounds and needs 110-120V power for the auger and igniter. First impressions are very good quality build, well thought-out, dead simple to use, quick heat up and decent size for a compact. Heat settings range from 150-500 (and gets to 500 pretty quickly - it is pretty compact). Digital heat settings via dial, there's a sliding cover over the burn box to control the flame intensity.

Just did basic grilling when I got it with great results. Will try smoking this weekend.

Came with a 5-lb bag of applewood but bought a 33lb bag of Traeger pellets at Costco for $20. They say it'll consume .5lb/hr at smoke setting and 2lb/hr at 500 degrees.

This guy demonstrates a reverse sear on a $60 hunk of ribeye.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6mDSn2ZWlY
  • Post #2 - August 20th, 2020, 10:25 am
    Post #2 - August 20th, 2020, 10:25 am Post #2 - August 20th, 2020, 10:25 am
    This is really interesting to me as a single guy who normally just cooks for himself - I have a gas grill, but no smoker or charcoal grill. Too big, too much mess for the amount of food I'd end up cooking.
  • Post #3 - August 20th, 2020, 3:54 pm
    Post #3 - August 20th, 2020, 3:54 pm Post #3 - August 20th, 2020, 3:54 pm
    Kid Charlemagne wrote:This is really interesting to me as a single guy who normally just cooks for himself - I have a gas grill, but no smoker or charcoal grill. Too big, too much mess for the amount of food I'd end up cooking.

My main grill is BIG. It's just as much effort to cook for 2 as it is for 12. This was my primary motivation in buying a second grill to cook for 2. Plus this has some precision in setting temp (maybe PID controller?). You set it to temp and it stays there. It also has a probe. I'm a tad apprehensive about a small brisket, I've never attempted one smaller than 9-10 lbs but they say it can be done. Just have to find nice looking one in the 3-5lb range.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more