LTH Home

Soda Ash?

Soda Ash?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Soda Ash?

Post #1 - August 28th, 2020, 10:54 am
    Post #1 - August 28th, 2020, 10:54 am Post #1 - August 28th, 2020, 10:54 am
    I've read a few things that suggest one can make soda ash (for alkaline noodles) by baking baking soda for 1 hour at 250 F. Is this correct? Does anyone have experience with this? If so, can you please share?

Thanks,

=R=
    By protecting others, you save yourself. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself. --Kambei Shimada

Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #2 - August 28th, 2020, 11:10 am
    Post #2 - August 28th, 2020, 11:10 am Post #2 - August 28th, 2020, 11:10 am
    This is covered in the thread on food grade lye.

This was needed for making lutefisk and olives.
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #3 - August 28th, 2020, 11:21 am
    Post #3 - August 28th, 2020, 11:21 am Post #3 - August 28th, 2020, 11:21 am
    Cathy2 wrote:This is covered in the thread on food grade lye.

This was needed for making lutefisk and olives.

Thanks.

=R=
    By protecting others, you save yourself. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself. --Kambei Shimada

• Post #4 - August 28th, 2020, 11:24 am
    Post #4 - August 28th, 2020, 11:24 am Post #4 - August 28th, 2020, 11:24 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:I've read a few things that suggest one can make soda ash (for alkaline noodles) by baking baking soda for 1 hour at 250 F. Is this correct? Does anyone have experience with this? If so, can you please share?

Thanks,

=R=

Mike Satinover (ramen lord, Akahoshi ramen) referenced this article for baked soda in one of his recipes. In case it wasn't one of the things you read.

I followed the recipe for ramen noodles once and it was pretty solid. But not worth the effort when sun noodles makes a much higher quality product than myself

https://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/15/dini ... .html?_r=0

And here's the original reddit post

https://www.reddit.com/r/ramen/comments ... en_paitan/
  • Post #5 - August 28th, 2020, 11:30 am
    Post #5 - August 28th, 2020, 11:30 am Post #5 - August 28th, 2020, 11:30 am
    WhyBeeSea wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:I've read a few things that suggest one can make soda ash (for alkaline noodles) by baking baking soda for 1 hour at 250 F. Is this correct? Does anyone have experience with this? If so, can you please share?

Thanks,

=R=

Mike Satinover (ramen lord, Akahoshi ramen) referenced this article for baked soda in one of his recipes. In case it wasn't one of the things you read.

I followed the recipe for ramen noodles once and it was pretty solid. But not worth the effort when sun noodles makes a much higher quality product than myself

https://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/15/dini ... .html?_r=0

And here's the original reddit post

https://www.reddit.com/r/ramen/comments ... en_paitan/

Thank you. I read something else in NYT but not that one. Much appreciated.

=R=

• Post #6 - August 28th, 2020, 2:05 pm
    Post #6 - August 28th, 2020, 2:05 pm Post #6 - August 28th, 2020, 2:05 pm
    Amazon stocks it too, 12oz for $15. For regular noodle making, that's probably years' worth of product. I'd be happy to go halfsies or quartersies.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #7 - August 28th, 2020, 2:13 pm
    Post #7 - August 28th, 2020, 2:13 pm Post #7 - August 28th, 2020, 2:13 pm
    JoelF wrote:Amazon stocks it too, 12oz for $15. For regular noodle making, that's probably years' worth of product. I'd be happy to go halfsies or quartersies.

Thanks, Joel. I think I might try the DIY version first and see how it goes.

=R=

• Post #8 - August 28th, 2020, 2:52 pm
    Post #8 - August 28th, 2020, 2:52 pm Post #8 - August 28th, 2020, 2:52 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    JoelF wrote:Amazon stocks it too, 12oz for $15. For regular noodle making, that's probably years' worth of product. I'd be happy to go halfsies or quartersies.

Thanks, Joel. I think I might try the DIY version first and see how it goes.

=R=

I've had success with baking baking soda (again again) for noodles. pH is logarithmic, so the change of alkalinity between the two compounds it what allows it to not overwhelm the dough by volume. At the same time, Kenji has recommended just using 1/4 tsp of unbaked baking soda per quart of pasta water to increase stretch of western noodles like angel hair as a shortcut. I'd love to see some testing on that one.
  • Post #9 - September 1st, 2020, 12:07 pm
    Post #9 - September 1st, 2020, 12:07 pm Post #9 - September 1st, 2020, 12:07 pm
    Wow, I just went to Sun Noodle.com on a hope, and dang! you can order a ramen kit with a set of two orders for $5. They have this amazing automatic ordering/billing set up and about 15 seconds later, for $30, I've got *3* kits coming my way day after tomorrow. That is soooo kühl. I'd never have even thought of it w/o reading this thread. Tnx folks! The nearest actual ramen resto is 65 miles north of here, across the closed Canadian border in Montréal. So yinz have saved my heretofore ramen-lacking life. Thenkew, thenkew, thenkew!

Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #10 - September 1st, 2020, 2:49 pm
    Post #10 - September 1st, 2020, 2:49 pm Post #10 - September 1st, 2020, 2:49 pm

Thanks,

=R=

Yes, and it works for me. I also use the sodium carbonate (the baked baking soda) for pretzels and it works a treat.
  • Post #11 - September 1st, 2020, 3:19 pm
    Post #11 - September 1st, 2020, 3:19 pm Post #11 - September 1st, 2020, 3:19 pm
    Binko wrote:

Thanks,

=R=

Yes, and it works for me. I also use the sodium carbonate (the baked baking soda) for pretzels and it works a treat.

Thanks, Binko. LOL @ myself, I've already made alkaline noodles twice since I posted this and documented those experiences over on the Corona Cuisine thread. They were great and not very much work, either. :)

=R=

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events