LTH Home

Village Farmstand new store in Evanston

Village Farmstand new store in Evanston
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Village Farmstand new store in Evanston

Post #1 - September 12th, 2020, 1:42 pm
    Post #1 - September 12th, 2020, 1:42 pm Post #1 - September 12th, 2020, 1:42 pm
    Hi- I was going through my Facebook posts that I am supposed to get, but most of the time don't. I don't know why this was in my Facebook posts, but there is a new store where Hewn Breads used to be on Dempster called Village Farmstead. What it does is it connects people to small farmers. You can order stuff online, and then pick it up in the store on Thursdays-Sundays. On their website they have a list of the stuff you can order, and they are also going to have Hewn Bread for sale. A farmer who stared in the film Sustainability, and the person who directed the film, are the ones that got this going. I saw the film last year in Evanston. The farmer was picking up stuff from other small farmers, and delivering it to restaurants in the Chicago area, and since the restaurant business is not doing so good, they decided to do this instead. Here is the website.
    https://villagefarmstand.store/
  • Post #2 - September 12th, 2020, 2:09 pm
    Post #2 - September 12th, 2020, 2:09 pm Post #2 - September 12th, 2020, 2:09 pm
    I just looked at their website, and they have a lot to offer, but their prices are not cheap. I saw some peaches and blueberries from Ellis Farms, and a few things from Green Acres. Some of their stuff was sold out. They had cherry tomatoes for $6 a pint, and I think they were sold out. Blueberries were $5 a pint, and they had #2 peaches for $4 for 5 peaches.

It sounds like they also have local flour and pancake mix and other stuff besides just produce. I believe they also have some local meat, but I did not check the prices on any of these.

This store is for those people who normally go to the farmer's market, but don't want to this year either because they are afraid it is going to be too crowded, or they feel there are too many rules to follow. I had to wait in line for at least 15 minutes today before I finally got waited on at Henry's stand today, but I usually only have to wait a few minutes. They did not open up until 10:30 because of their truck problems, and they were going to try to stay open until at least 1:30, or until they ran out of customers or produce. After I left Henry's, I went to Nichols to buy corn, and there was no line because they were getting ready to close. Hope this helps, Nancy
  • Post #3 - September 12th, 2020, 3:13 pm
    Post #3 - September 12th, 2020, 3:13 pm Post #3 - September 12th, 2020, 3:13 pm
    810 Dempster St, Evanston, IL 60202
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #4 - September 18th, 2020, 7:57 pm
    Post #4 - September 18th, 2020, 7:57 pm Post #4 - September 18th, 2020, 7:57 pm
    I took a look at their website again, and they have Klug's apple cider for sale for $7.75 a 1/2 gallon. No way am I going to pay that much. I heard the radio interview they did the end of August, and they were delivering produce to 35 restaurants before the pandemic, and after the pandemic, they were down to three restaurants, and that is when they got the idea for this store.
  • Post #5 - October 15th, 2020, 4:18 pm
    Post #5 - October 15th, 2020, 4:18 pm Post #5 - October 15th, 2020, 4:18 pm
    Filmmaker turned grocer hopes new Evanston shop will help change the way you eat: ‘I wanted to be part of a better food system’

https://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/ ... story.html
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more