LTH Home

What do you put in your dishwasher?

What do you put in your dishwasher?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • What do you put in your dishwasher?

Post #1 - October 9th, 2020, 1:15 pm
    Post #1 - October 9th, 2020, 1:15 pm Post #1 - October 9th, 2020, 1:15 pm
    HI,

This week there has been a lot of chatter about a picture of Ina Garten's dishwasher. The alarm bell went off when:

Fans were quick to notice that Garten had violated several so-called rules of loading a dishwasher. She included expensive-looking knives, a large (All-Clad) baking pan and a spatula with a wooden handle — and she also seemed to have run the washer half-empty.

“Ooooo. Knives in the dishwasher! Doesn’t damage them?” one fan commented on her photo.

“I do it many times a day and some of them are 40 years old!” Garten replied.

I do not like handwashing dishes. Wooden spoons, wood handled knives and non-stick cookware don't make it in. I will hand wash lightly used pots, but once they are heavily dirty, they go to the dishwasher. Last night, my Dutch oven and a several gallon mixing bowl went into the dishwasher. A crusty lasagna pan and Pyrex baking pans come out sparkling clean.

I remember reading of Joan Rivers putting in a bird cage. Another person who collects antiques will or will not buy something, if it cannot fit into their dishwasher. I have probably done this, too.
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways,
  • Post #2 - October 9th, 2020, 1:22 pm
    Post #2 - October 9th, 2020, 1:22 pm Post #2 - October 9th, 2020, 1:22 pm
    Yes - but do you pre-wash dishes before they go in the dishwasher like a certain person that we both know does? 8)
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #3 - October 9th, 2020, 1:31 pm
    Post #3 - October 9th, 2020, 1:31 pm Post #3 - October 9th, 2020, 1:31 pm
    A shorter list is probably what I don't put in my dishwasher . . .

Other than butter knives, I never put knives in my dishwasher. They get exposed to all sort of things that are terrible for them, like excessive heat and moisture, hard contact with other items and soaps that have abrasives in them that can destroy their finish and edges (even on fully integral knives). On top of all that, sharp knives can actually damage your dishwasher.

I also refrain from putting non-stick cookware in the dishwasher. Again, dishwasher conditions are really bad for these items. Same goes for wood and wood-handled items. I try to avoid putting them in the dishwasher because it's really bad for them. That said, I have some cheaper wood-handled utensils that I do put in but mainly because they're cheap and easily replaced.

Other than those, I think everything else goes in.

=R=
    Same planet, different world
  • Post #4 - October 9th, 2020, 2:33 pm
    Post #4 - October 9th, 2020, 2:33 pm Post #4 - October 9th, 2020, 2:33 pm
    The problem with placing large containers in the dishwasher as well as pots and pans is that you are running the dishwasher 2-3x per day. Great for the people who sell Cascade; not so good for those who would not prefer to use a lot of water.

Personally, if I lived alone, the dishwasher would be gone completely and I would wash dishes by hand after every meal. Part of that is that I am generally "clean as you go." That means, I wash pans, pots, and utensils as soon as I finished using them. Getting rid of the dishwasher would provide me with more cabinet space for small appliances. I would also rework the sink area an add in a better garbage disposal and a hot water dispenser. That was originally in my kitchen remodel plan in 2017 but was scrapped.

Also, the dishwashers that I have had never seem to do very good with any cooked on food or the like. By the time I get that off by hand, I might as well finish it off in the sink.
  • Post #5 - October 9th, 2020, 4:20 pm
    Post #5 - October 9th, 2020, 4:20 pm Post #5 - October 9th, 2020, 4:20 pm
    The only really questionable thing in Ina's photo is the blade down Wusthof knife, especially since it seems to be sharing its compartment with a stainless steel spoon. It's possible the knife is sort of wedged into the basket such that it didn't clatter, but the blade can easily dull this way. It also looks like she never took the sticker off the handle.

Stainless All-Clad pan, no worries.

Cheap wooden handled spatula, not ideal but as ronnie said, it's likely a single digit dollar item.

I trust the Contessa knows her business!
  • Post #6 - October 9th, 2020, 5:45 pm
    Post #6 - October 9th, 2020, 5:45 pm Post #6 - October 9th, 2020, 5:45 pm
    Hi,

A bird cage might not be something I would put in a dishwasher. I would feel a need to do a complete sterilization afterwards. Bird poop in the dishwasher by design is just not my thing.

When I inherited someone's canning jars sitting in the rear of the basement and covered in years of dust. Those went to the dishwasher.

I scrape food off dishes and put in the dishwasher. The dishwasher chemicals work better if there is dirt to conquer.

I know someone whose dishwasher is a glorified rinser. Soap = Chemicals, this person cringed when I mentioned water is a chemical.

My Mom and I get a kick watching tiny home tours. If there is no dishwasher, it is not in my yes column. I would cook far less if I had to do the dishes, too.

Has anyone cooked in their dishwasher? I have read of people doing this, but never encountered anyone who really did it.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
  • Post #7 - October 9th, 2020, 6:54 pm
    Post #7 - October 9th, 2020, 6:54 pm Post #7 - October 9th, 2020, 6:54 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:
    Has anyone cooked in their dishwasher? I have read of people doing this, but never encountered anyone who really did it.

I was just going to mention that my grandmother used to make a poached salmon in her dishwasher. At the time I was pretty young and thought it was just the greatest thing. She'd wrap the pieces of salmon up very tightly in foil. Other than that, I don't remember much about it. This was late 1960's or early 1970's and I think it was a "thing" at the time.

=R=
  • Post #8 - October 10th, 2020, 7:36 am
    Post #8 - October 10th, 2020, 7:36 am Post #8 - October 10th, 2020, 7:36 am
    ronnie_suburban wrote:I was just going to mention that my grandmother used to make a poached salmon in her dishwasher. At the time I was pretty young and thought it was just the greatest thing. She'd wrap the pieces of salmon up very tightly in foil. Other than that, I don't remember much about it. This was late 1960's or early 1970's and I think it was a "thing" at the time.

=R=

This explains so, so, very much.
    J/k.

I'll put anything in my dishwasher that ain't tied down.
    If it had an onboard heater, then I wouldn't.
    My new 3rd rack has the slots that keep the fancy knives in place horizontally, so them shits can go in too, now.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Pronoun: That fool over there
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #9 - October 10th, 2020, 7:49 am
    Post #9 - October 10th, 2020, 7:49 am Post #9 - October 10th, 2020, 7:49 am
    Your fancy knives will get dull a little faster. The grit in the soapy water will scour the knife edge and create some dullness on the knives.
  • Post #10 - October 10th, 2020, 8:00 am
    Post #10 - October 10th, 2020, 8:00 am Post #10 - October 10th, 2020, 8:00 am
    seebee wrote:My new 3rd rack has the slots that keep the fancy knives in place horizontally, so them shits can go in too, now.

If they have wooden handles they will get fucked up. If they are carbon steel they will get fucked up. Not great for the blade of any quality knife, though one can always resharpen.

YMMV
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #11 - October 10th, 2020, 8:34 am
    Post #11 - October 10th, 2020, 8:34 am Post #11 - October 10th, 2020, 8:34 am
    These knives aren't fancy enough for me to care in that much detail, and...if they DO get f'd up, I'll replace them with some really nice ones, and try not to pout while shopping :D
    I'm actually amazed that they have lasted this long and held up so well after the way the people I live with abuse the crap out of them. Just yesterday, in fact, one of them was about to cut a sourdough loaf from Publican on the granite, using the bread's bag as a cutting board. I'm dead sure they would have used the same ass knife to butter the bread with, too. Heaven forbid I raise my tone for the 19th time about using the good knives correctly, tho. And they'll complain about the knives being dull, and ask me to sharpen them, too. This is who I live with.
    We cannot be friends if you do not know the difference between Mayo and Miracle Whip.
    Identifies as: A human that doesn't need to "identify as" something to try to somehow be interesting.
  • Post #12 - October 10th, 2020, 10:06 am
    Post #12 - October 10th, 2020, 10:06 am Post #12 - October 10th, 2020, 10:06 am
    Cathy2 wrote:Has anyone cooked in their dishwasher? I have read of people doing this, but never encountered anyone who really did it.

Food and Wine magazine lists six items you can cook in your dishwasher. My favorite: dishwasher lobster rolls!

There is more stuff out there on dishwasher cooking than I ever imagined. How about dishwasher lasagna?

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #13 - October 10th, 2020, 10:31 am
    Post #13 - October 10th, 2020, 10:31 am Post #13 - October 10th, 2020, 10:31 am
    And of course there are many articles about cooking on your cars engine. https://adventure.howstuffworks.com/car-cooking.htm
  • Post #14 - October 10th, 2020, 12:39 pm
    Post #14 - October 10th, 2020, 12:39 pm Post #14 - October 10th, 2020, 12:39 pm
    This discussion strikes me the same way as the "what do you put on your hot dog?" discussion. I don't care if you put ketchup on your hot dog, as long as I don't have to eat it. And I don't care if you put knives in your dishwasher, as long as they're not my knives. :D

=R=
  • Post #15 - October 10th, 2020, 1:16 pm
    Post #15 - October 10th, 2020, 1:16 pm Post #15 - October 10th, 2020, 1:16 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:I don't care if you put ketchup on your hot dog, as long as I don't have to eat it. And I don't care if you put knives in your dishwasher, as long as they're not my knives. :D

I care. Both, ketchup on a hot dog & good knives in the dishwasher. Both are morally wrong. If you see someone hitting a child or cutting a puppy into steak for dinner. Do you not care because it’s not your kid or puppy?
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #16 - October 10th, 2020, 1:34 pm
    Post #16 - October 10th, 2020, 1:34 pm Post #16 - October 10th, 2020, 1:34 pm
    Thinking puppy would be dark meat
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #17 - October 10th, 2020, 1:39 pm
    Post #17 - October 10th, 2020, 1:39 pm Post #17 - October 10th, 2020, 1:39 pm
    Jazzfood wrote:Thinking puppy would be dark meat

And probably pretty tasty with a lil' squirt of Heinz.
  • Post #18 - November 3rd, 2020, 7:52 pm
    Post #18 - November 3rd, 2020, 7:52 pm Post #18 - November 3rd, 2020, 7:52 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:
    Cathy2 wrote:Has anyone cooked in their dishwasher?

Just stumbled upon this video and was reminded of your query . . .

Can This Chef Cook A 3-Course Meal With A Dishwasher?

=R=
  • Post #19 - November 4th, 2020, 7:55 am
    Post #19 - November 4th, 2020, 7:55 am Post #19 - November 4th, 2020, 7:55 am
    On the other side of the coin, ever since I bought Dawn Powerwash I no longer put my Dutch ovens in the dishwasher. Not that the dishwasher was unsafe, it's just that the Dutch oven and lid always took up a lot of real estate. The Dawn Powerwash is pretty amazing and removes just about any residue effortlessly and rinses easily.
  • Post #20 - November 11th, 2020, 9:45 am
    Post #20 - November 11th, 2020, 9:45 am Post #20 - November 11th, 2020, 9:45 am
    We put most things in the dishwasher except good chef knives, wooden items and we wash large pots by hand. Anything plastic goes in the top rack.
    Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #21 - November 13th, 2020, 9:25 pm
    Post #21 - November 13th, 2020, 9:25 pm Post #21 - November 13th, 2020, 9:25 pm
    I do not put china ( gold rim), crystal and my Henkels in the dishwasher. I put wooden spoons, cheap plastic storage containers and sink sponge and drain catcher in dishwasher. BTW, grew up with Cascade and used it for nearly 30 years until I replaced dishwasher and ABT installer said it was really rough and to use Finish pucks/pods. Can’t tell any difference but find that my glasses are not etched.
    What disease did cured ham actually have?
  • Post #22 - September 24th, 2022, 9:56 pm
    Post #22 - September 24th, 2022, 9:56 pm Post #22 - September 24th, 2022, 9:56 pm
    Stop Putting These Things in the Dishwasher
    I put something in the dishwasher not recommended in this article. Oh well, I am not perfect.

I think it was Joan Rivers, I recall her putting a bird cage in the dishwasher.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

• Post #23 - September 25th, 2022, 6:19 pm
    Post #23 - September 25th, 2022, 6:19 pm Post #23 - September 25th, 2022, 6:19 pm
    I agree with most of that list, except for knives, wooden spoons, and plastic cutting boards. For safety's sake, I pay attention to where and how (blade down) I put the knives in and how I take them out. Never yet cut myself taking a knife out of a dishwasher, although I have done that more than once when fishing around in hot soapy water in a sink for a knife, so now I hand-wash them separately. I've been putting wooden spoons (but not wooden cutting boards) and plastic cutting boards in the dishwasher for decades and never noticed them being adversely affected. The dishwasher seems to me to be the best way to clean and disinfect plastic cutting boards. I do re-oil wooden spoons, wooden knife handles, and wooden cutting boards about once a year.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #24 - September 25th, 2022, 7:11 pm
    Post #24 - September 25th, 2022, 7:11 pm Post #24 - September 25th, 2022, 7:11 pm
    One problem with knives in the dishwasher is that you are dulling the knife.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more