LTH Home

Let’s talk turkey.

Let’s talk turkey.
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - November 26th, 2020, 1:49 pm
    Post #31 - November 26th, 2020, 1:49 pm Post #31 - November 26th, 2020, 1:49 pm
    jnm123 wrote:Twice in the last year, we have tried the Jennie-O 12# turkey in a bag, 'frozen-to-oven'. An amazingly competent option. Scissor open the external bag & discard, pull the internal bag away from the skin--easily done--cut six 1" slits at top of bag, into the oven at 375. It says 4 hours, but the pop-up thing goes up usually after 3 hrs, 10-15 min.

If you don't mind commenting, how much did you pay for this bird? Were the giblets and neck outside of the bird, though in the package?

Meanwhile, my niece just called to advise her frozen turkey is in the oven. She had gone to several stores in NYC without finding a turkey. When she finally found a turkey, it was straight from the freezer to the oven treatment.

Just now I learned my brother-in-law made a turkey straight from the freezer last week. He liked the result very much and may not defrost and roast ever again.

edit: Turkey was finished at 2:05 pm or 5 hours 35 minutes. Now it is catch up to make the mashed potatoes and gravy. Stuffing will be eaten with the leftovers ... yeah, this turkey caught me by surprise.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #32 - November 26th, 2020, 6:04 pm
    Post #32 - November 26th, 2020, 6:04 pm Post #32 - November 26th, 2020, 6:04 pm
    Just under $21, Cath. Starting to carve, and it looks great. Seasoned perfectly. Well worth the extra cost. Took 3 hrs, 5 min. Used the juice as a base for gravy.

Only downside is no giblets, no neck. I can live with that...
  • Post #33 - December 1st, 2020, 5:25 pm
    Post #33 - December 1st, 2020, 5:25 pm Post #33 - December 1st, 2020, 5:25 pm
    We ordered ahead and got an 8 lb petite turkey, of which 1/2 went to a friend's family after cooking. The local natural grocer was selling larger turkeys by the 1/2, on a per-pound basis, sliced longways in house.
    Leek

SAVING ONE DOG may not change the world,
    but it CHANGES THE WORLD for that one dog.
    American Brittany Rescue always needs foster homes. Please think about helping that one dog. http://www.americanbrittanyrescue.org
  • Post #34 - December 1st, 2020, 9:12 pm
    Post #34 - December 1st, 2020, 9:12 pm Post #34 - December 1st, 2020, 9:12 pm
    Just want to give a shout out to Irv & Shelly’s Fresh Picks for Thanksgiving turkeys. They have been our go-to for the last 4 years. This year it was just the 3 of us so I requested a 12-15# bird. Got an e-mail about a week out saying due to warm weather and circumstances the bird may be larger. Our Gunthorp Farms turkey wound up being 16# and was delicious. I picked-up at their warehouse in Niles and it was an easy contactless transaction.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more