LTH Home

Bullhead Barbecue / Sacha / Satay Sauce

Bullhead Barbecue / Sacha / Satay Sauce
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
    Page 2 of 2 
  • Post #31 - January 19th, 2021, 6:06 pm
    Post #31 - January 19th, 2021, 6:06 pm Post #31 - January 19th, 2021, 6:06 pm
    G Wiv wrote:Another go at Chinatown Chicken Satay, fermented black beans, garlic, ginger, sesame oil, soy, bit of water, large goop of chili oil, cornstarch slurry to finish. Light marinate chicken thighs, stir fry onions, add celery (it was on the counter), out. Chicken, add in veg, sauce, finish with slurry.

Eat with pan fried noodles, repeat. Bride liked it better second go, as did I. I got the oily part of the original dish right :) but there still seems something missing.

Side note, Richwell Market on Dempster does not sell Jimmy's Sate sauce though they have two kids of Lee Kum Kee and one by Yeo's. There are also Korean style BBQ sauces and a few bottles of Sweet Baby Ray's for good measure.

click to enlarge

Chinatown Cafe, count me a Fan!

Gary, did you get those noodles from Richland or somewhere else? I was at H Mart today and had trouble finding noodles that thin in their case-o-noodles...
  • Post #32 - January 19th, 2021, 9:31 pm
    Post #32 - January 19th, 2021, 9:31 pm Post #32 - January 19th, 2021, 9:31 pm
    DClose wrote:Gary, did you get those noodles from Richland or somewhere else? I was at H Mart today and had trouble finding noodles that thin in their case-o-noodles...

I don't remember. Though I have bought that type noodle at both Richwell Market on Dempster and H-Mart Niles. Both have them in stock every time I look. They are ubiquitous, typically found refrigerated.

If not this exact type/brand similar.

Click to enlarge

Chinese Noodles, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #33 - January 25th, 2021, 7:49 am
    Post #33 - January 25th, 2021, 7:49 am Post #33 - January 25th, 2021, 7:49 am
    Finally spotted Jimmy's Sate Sauce at Starlight Market on 28th/Wentworth, right below Furama. Image
  • Post #34 - January 25th, 2021, 8:52 am
    Post #34 - January 25th, 2021, 8:52 am Post #34 - January 25th, 2021, 8:52 am
    lougord99 wrote:But I would love to know Gary's proportions.

Assuming you mean for Bullhead stir-fry and not my cover girl measurements, not sure, I did not measure. I should have taken concise notes, easier to move flavor direction, but did not.

Next time I use Bullhead I will measure, take notes, share. But, as my wife just got a no lizardfish Tramp Stamp tattoo it might be a while.

Lizardfish, bride not a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #35 - January 25th, 2021, 10:35 am
    Post #35 - January 25th, 2021, 10:35 am Post #35 - January 25th, 2021, 10:35 am
    Tai Nam on Broadway just south of Argyle has the Bullhead Shallot sauce cans.
    Last edited by boudreaulicious on January 31st, 2021, 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington
  • Post #36 - January 31st, 2021, 11:20 am
    Post #36 - January 31st, 2021, 11:20 am Post #36 - January 31st, 2021, 11:20 am
    Fresh lizardfish is available at 88 Marketplace. It's the species known as bumalo, or Bombay duck.

boudreaulicious wrote:Tai Nam on Broadway just south of. Argyle has the Bullhead Shallot sauce cans.

Thanks for the report. I haven't come across it yet, but it's good to know it's around.
  • Post #37 - February 15th, 2021, 4:33 pm
    Post #37 - February 15th, 2021, 4:33 pm Post #37 - February 15th, 2021, 4:33 pm
    Rene G wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:
    Rene G wrote:Fans of lizardfish will be excited to hear of another sauce also listing it as the second ingredient.

I haven't tried it yet, but hope to soon. I'll report back.

Wow, that looks eerily some sort of Maesri curry paste . . . probably not, though, right?

Good eye! I was so focused on the ingredients I forgot to take a picture of the front of the can. It's Maesri all right, but not exactly curry paste. Maesri Namya Noodle Sauce.

Good stuff! I made a very enjoyable meal with quite a high lizardfish content: 1) Rice noodles with Maesri namya sauce, straight from the can, diluted and simmered; 2) Smashed cucumbers and pickled daikon, both in a sauce containing Bullhead BBQ and Lao Gan Ma fried chili in oil; 3) Steamed baby bok choi, simmered briefly in diluted namya sauce (mostly to heat it up, though it took on quite a bit of flavor); 4) Hard-boiled egg, not tampered with.

I like the sauce a lot. It's definitely fishy, but mellowed with coconut and sugar. There's a definite chili kick at the end, but not too extreme. Making a bowl of noodles with namya sauce is about as fast and easy as it gets, and the results far exceed the effort. I'll try to always have a can or two in my cupboard.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more