LTH Home

Thanksgiving 2020

Thanksgiving 2020
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Thanksgiving 2020

Post #1 - November 21st, 2020, 6:21 am
    Post #1 - November 21st, 2020, 6:21 am Post #1 - November 21st, 2020, 6:21 am
    3 people for Thanksgiving this year. It will be a pretty simple affair with an all Kenji meal

Grilled rock cornish hens
    Sage sausage dressing
    Green bean casserole
    Gravy
    Salad

Guest is bringing appetizer and homemade pie.
  • Post #2 - November 21st, 2020, 9:39 pm
    Post #2 - November 21st, 2020, 9:39 pm Post #2 - November 21st, 2020, 9:39 pm
    We are a big family, so there was some talk about possible ways to get together, but we seem to have all settled into acceptance of the idea that it's best we all stay home.

I got the smallest turkey I could find (11 lbs, Woodmans), and I plan to do most of my cooking on Wednesday. I bought some turkey wings at Sunset and pressure-cooked them a few days ago in advance of using them to make gravy. On Thursday, I'll deliver some containers of turkey, stuffing, gravy, sweet potatoes, sweet corn, cranberry sauce, and pumpkin pie to a sibling and a couple of neighbors.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #3 - November 22nd, 2020, 10:53 am
    Post #3 - November 22nd, 2020, 10:53 am Post #3 - November 22nd, 2020, 10:53 am
    I have done wet brines before. I am thinking of doing a dry brine this year. Saw many idea's, but I am thinking of doing the salt rub about 24 hours before cooking. Storing it open in the fridge. Any other idea's? Thank you.
  • Post #4 - November 22nd, 2020, 4:32 pm
    Post #4 - November 22nd, 2020, 4:32 pm Post #4 - November 22nd, 2020, 4:32 pm
    Puckjam--
    I'm just going to do a basic Kenji: half-cup of Diamond Kosher + 2Tbs of baking powder, sprinkled all over the turkey skin. I'm going to give it 48hours.

We're lucky: a local farmer every year pastures his turkeys for 6 weeks before the holiday. They end up absolutely marvelous birds, in texture, skin, and taste. Pricey, but well worth it.

Geo
    Sooo, you like wine and are looking for something good to read? Maybe *this* will do the trick! :)
  • Post #5 - November 22nd, 2020, 5:10 pm
    Post #5 - November 22nd, 2020, 5:10 pm Post #5 - November 22nd, 2020, 5:10 pm
    Planning sous vide on a parted out bird this year, so no brining necessary. :)

=R=
    By protecting others, you save yourself. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself. --Kambei Shimada

Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

There's a horse loose in a hospital --JM

That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #6 - November 22nd, 2020, 5:15 pm
    Post #6 - November 22nd, 2020, 5:15 pm Post #6 - November 22nd, 2020, 5:15 pm
    We normally host a 12-16 person thanksgiving with both a smoked and a roasted turkey, and all kinds of good stuff. We also normally host a post-holidays reason-to-celebrate in mid January cassoulet party. Since neither is safe in a pandemic, we decided to make a tiny cassoulet for our household for thanksgiving. Shlagel farms smoked ham hock, butcher & larder toulouse sausages and duck confit should make for a nice quiet cozy time. May we all be together next year!
  • Post #7 - November 23rd, 2020, 1:29 am
    Post #7 - November 23rd, 2020, 1:29 am Post #7 - November 23rd, 2020, 1:29 am
    My friend will be cooking up a Thanksgiving Dinner on Thursday for 7-8 households or about 12 people. We will bring the food over around 1 pm. Then starting at 2 pm, each household is assigned a time for picking up a carryout meal of about 10-15 minutes. We pull up, knock on the back door and pick up our bag.

At 4:30 or 8 pm, we get a call telling us when we can pick up our share the the leftovers.

It sounds like a cumbersome process BUT most of the people participating are 80+and safety is the major concern.

This worked well for Easter.
  • Post #8 - November 23rd, 2020, 10:45 am
    Post #8 - November 23rd, 2020, 10:45 am Post #8 - November 23rd, 2020, 10:45 am
    We ordered dinner from Vincent. This includes a half turkey (breast and thigh) confited in chicken fat, mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing, cranberry sauce, rolls from Phlour. In normal times, I'd want the entire turkey so I could make stock. In this case, they are using the wings, legs and bones to make meals for the Edgewater Mutual Aid group. We decided to support Vincent's efforts.

Pumpkin pie is coming from Pearl's Southern Comfort.
    -Mary
  • Post #9 - November 23rd, 2020, 3:06 pm
    Post #9 - November 23rd, 2020, 3:06 pm Post #9 - November 23rd, 2020, 3:06 pm
    Bo Ssam = what the Pilgrims and Wampanoag should've served at the First Thanksgiving at Plymouth Colony.

Stuffing

Bagna Càuda

Dessert - TBD
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #10 - November 23rd, 2020, 5:52 pm
    Post #10 - November 23rd, 2020, 5:52 pm Post #10 - November 23rd, 2020, 5:52 pm
    My husband & I always drive to Ohio to see our parents but we aren't going this year because of covid. So we ordered a ham from Paulina (neither of us are big turkey fans) and we're making au gratin potatoes and green bean casserole and having panna cotta with strawberry sauce for desert (I'm not a big fan of pumpkin pie).
  • Post #11 - November 23rd, 2020, 6:22 pm
    Post #11 - November 23rd, 2020, 6:22 pm Post #11 - November 23rd, 2020, 6:22 pm
    Zelda Pinwheel wrote:. . . having panna cotta with strawberry sauce for desert (I'm not a big fan of pumpkin pie).

Me neither but I'm being "forced" to make one because my wife and son both love it! :lol:

Your meal sounds like it will be great.

=R=
    By protecting others, you save yourself. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself. --Kambei Shimada

• Post #12 - November 23rd, 2020, 7:57 pm
    Post #12 - November 23rd, 2020, 7:57 pm Post #12 - November 23rd, 2020, 7:57 pm
    Dave148 wrote:Bo Ssam = what the Pilgrims and Wampanoag should've served at the First Thanksgiving at Plymouth Colony.

Stuffing

Bagna Càuda

Dessert - TBD

I absolutely love the momofuku bo ssam recipe and would agree that it's a finer meal than your traditional turkey.

However, traditional Korean bo ssam is different than that giant roasted pork shoulder. It's usually boiled pork belly, which isn't as photogenicb of a main course, but equally delicious. Just in case anyone on the forum was curious and wanted to know!
  • Post #13 - November 24th, 2020, 10:42 am
    Post #13 - November 24th, 2020, 10:42 am Post #13 - November 24th, 2020, 10:42 am
    I'm just going to do a basic Kenji: half-cup of Diamond Kosher + 2Tbs of baking powder, sprinkled all over the turkey skin. I'm going to give it 48hours.

Geo, Do you mix and then rub all over. Do you cover for the 2 days or leave open in the fridge? Thanks.
  • Post #14 - November 26th, 2020, 10:47 am
    Post #14 - November 26th, 2020, 10:47 am Post #14 - November 26th, 2020, 10:47 am
    We ordered a Thanksgiving dinner from Wheaton College Food service. (FOHTY) I am sure it won't be as good as home made but for this year, that is what we decided to do. I must say its easy. It was all packed up in baking tins with directions and needs to heat in oven for an hour. The only thing I am making is a green bean casserole and cranberries come from a jar. The cranberries come from a gourmet food company and are spiked with Grand Marnier and will hopefully be a cut above ocean spray. I am hoping it will be good.
    P.S. Wheaton College Food Service/Cafeteria provides family meal packs on Wednesdays. The program is called From Our House to Yours. The meals are pretty good, some are a little bland. They can be ordered from the FOHTY website but they have taken a break during the pandemic. They decided to do Thanksgiving though. I though I would mention this for anyone in the Wheaton and Glen Ellyn area. I'm sure they will resume this service when they are able.
    Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #15 - Yesterday, 12:32 am
    Post #15 - Yesterday, 12:32 am Post #15 - Yesterday, 12:32 am
    Had a nice time prepping our meal over a couple of days . . .

Mushrooms & Yu Kurosaki VG10 Fujin, 210mm
    Creminis and shiitakes that I sauteed with garlic, red wine and demiglace, and eventually put in the dressing.

Turkey & Kanehide Bessaku Honesuki, Left-Handed, 150mm
    No 'before' pic but this was an 11-pound Ho-Ka turkey. Since we were such a small group (4 people), this was a great opportunity to finally try to sous vide a turkey. If it went awry, 3 of us wouldn't care, and 1 of us wasn't having turkey, anyway. I roasted the carcass and other bones to make a stock that I used in the gravy and the dressing.

Boned-Out Breast Roll
    There is a lot of information on the internet about how to sous vide turkey parts. Consensus on the breast seemed to be boning out both sides and tying them together into a single roll, so that's what I did.

Immersion-Ready Packet
    Vacuum-sealed with salt, black pepper, butter and fresh sage.

Whole Bird In Packets
    In four separate bags, all prepped identically, were the breast roll, the wings, the legs and the thighs. All of it cooked at 145F; the legs and thighs for 14 hours, the wings for 10 hours and the breast roll for 3 hours. I did all this on Tuesday and Wednesday. Once they completed their cooking, I cooled the packets in a water bath, after which I stored them in the fridge until about an hour before game time on Thursday.

On Wednesday, I prepped the dressing (I'm told it's not stuffing because there was no actual bird into which it could be stuffed) . . .

Dressing Mise En Place, Part 1 & Kurosaki R2 Hammered Gyuto 210mm
    Melted, unsalted butter, raw celery, sauteed mushrooms, sauteed homemade sage sausage, sauteed onions, peeled/diced, raw granny smith apples and toasted pecans (coarsely chopped before adding).

Dressing Mise En Place, Part 2
    Everything mixed together now, with some homemade and some store-bought croutons. I grew up with dressing made this way and find that no matter how "good" it is, a Thanksgiving dressing that doesn't include some store-bought croutons, just doesn't tick the box for me. I did make homemade chicken stock (left) and homemade turkey stock.

Dressing
    Assembled and ready to bake.

Now, onto the gravy prep . . .

Shallots & Kurosaki R2 Hammered Gyuto 210mm
    Eventually these would be minced and cooked in a combination of unsalted butter and rendered turkey neck fat.

Turkey Necks & Dexter Cleaver
    Speaking of necks, I started this phase of the gravy with 3, each split in half. After they browned in some butter, I removed them and caramelized the shallots in the renderings. After that, some flour to form a roux and then a combination of the turkey and chicken stocks.

Thanksgiving Day, now . . .

Sous Vide Turkey Parts
    This is what the bird looked like before its brief, final cook under the broiler. Because the fat had congealed while the packets were in the fridge, what you see here is the turkey after I'd put the sealed bags back in warm water for a few minutes before I opened them.

Dressing
    Baked at 350F for about an hour, and ready to serve.

Additional Dishes
    Sweet potato casserole (not my thing but I make it for the family), green bean casserole, rice pilaf and misoyaki-broiled king salmon. The bottom two items were for our fourth, who requested rice and doesn't like turkey.

Turkey Platter
    My late MIL created this platter, so it always gets the call on Thanksgiving. The parts, brushed with butter first, broiled on a rack for just a couple of minutes on each side before hitting the platter. The dark splotches were where the fresh sage was pressed against the pieces during their time in the IC.

Breast Roll
    Across the board, the turkey was unbelievably moist and flavorful. Nowhere was that more of a pleasant surprise than with this breast roll, which far surpassed all expectation. I just couldn't believe how delicious it was. The other parts were also tender and falling off the bone.

Plated Up
    Breast roll, dressing, green bean casserole and thigh with gravy.

But wait, there's more! What's Thanksgiving without dessert?

Pecan Pie
    Not a bad-looking effort for a fella' who doesn't really bake. The crust was from Stella Parks and the filling was a riff on Joshua Weissman's recipe.

Plated Up
    A little runny but so delicious. With canned whipped cream (yeah, I ran out of gas!).

Happy Thanksgiving! :)

=R=

• Post #16 - Yesterday, 12:57 am
    Post #16 - Yesterday, 12:57 am Post #16 - Yesterday, 12:57 am
    Gratuitous T-Day 2020 turkey image. Happy T-Day to all.

click image to enlarge

T-Day, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #17 - Yesterday, 8:45 am
    Post #17 - Yesterday, 8:45 am Post #17 - Yesterday, 8:45 am
    Ronnie, Gary, those both look like great spreads.

Glad to see a pile of shrooms in the stuffing/dressing mix. The Kitchn website did a stuffing recipe shootout a couple weeks ago and none of them included mushrooms, which I thought absurd. For me, the primary flavors of bread stuffing have always been mushroom, celery, giblets/stock, thyme.
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #18 - Yesterday, 9:17 am
    Post #18 - Yesterday, 9:17 am Post #18 - Yesterday, 9:17 am
    Momofuku's Bo Ssam - Count Me a Fan!
    Last edited by Dave148 on November 27th, 2020, 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
  • Post #19 - Yesterday, 9:26 am
    Post #19 - Yesterday, 9:26 am Post #19 - Yesterday, 9:26 am
    JoelF wrote:Glad to see a pile of shrooms in the stuffing/dressing mix.

Yes, Ronnie's dinner looked fabulous, as I sure was yours.

We ate with the neighbors at their house, 5 adults and two dogs. I made the turkey, gravy and stuffing. Mine is not a traditional stuffing, really more casserole as its cooked outside the bird.

Mostly cooked brown rice, tons of mushrooms, celery, garlic, onion sauteed with butter, s/p. Mix together, add water-chestnuts, buttered baking dish, turkey stock (I made almost a gallon for gravy and stuffing from extra purchased wings and the neck and backbone of the one on the smoker) dot with butter, bake and there you have a 40-year tradition.

Best part of the dinner, aside from the neighbors homemade apple pie, was their dog Charlie growling at the friends dog when he got too close to Ellen. It was like he was saying "stay away from my ATM (automatic treat machine).

Thanksgiving, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #20 - Yesterday, 9:31 am
    Post #20 - Yesterday, 9:31 am Post #20 - Yesterday, 9:31 am
    Dave148 wrote:Momofuku's Bo Ssam - Count Me a Fan!

Great color, I'm sure it was delicious. Count me a Fan indeed!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #21 - Yesterday, 9:43 am
    Post #21 - Yesterday, 9:43 am Post #21 - Yesterday, 9:43 am
    G Wiv wrote:
    Dave148 wrote:Momofuku's Bo Ssam - Count Me a Fan!

Great color, I'm sure it was delicious. Count me a Fan indeed!

Thanks! Six hours @ 300, 30 minute rest, followed by a 15 minute blast @ 500. I wish I could bottle the aroma.
  • Post #22 - Yesterday, 11:06 am
    Post #22 - Yesterday, 11:06 am Post #22 - Yesterday, 11:06 am

I've made something like 200 dinners for the family this year, and decided to hand Thanksgiving to Brendan O'Connor at Big Guys in Berwyn. The bird was the best traditional entry any of us could recall, and I'm already tempted to re-up in what I hope is a more normal Autumn 2021. As good as the perfectly brined white meat were the usually-afterthought thighs. The legs and wings are well on their way to stock and the breasts to pavo en mole with homemade pecan butter, dried chilis, and chocolate.

The value proposition clearly edged the major national delivery options (um, wow) and any fusion or modern flavor desires or designer toppings were slaked by how simple and strong this all was - stout mashed potatoes, heavily nutmegged yams without any oversweet notes, moist sage stuffing with good mushrooms, home-kitchen cooked cranberry sauce, abundant well-seasoned gravy. Amid our various reports of horror-show restaurant pre-order delivery systems, the Big Guys parking lot was a ballet (at least at the moment of our morning pickup) of warm staff and log fire, good packaging, and a cup of cheer. Thankful for the absence of dishes to wash today we're also restored for the next gauntlet of home-cooking.
  • Post #23 - Yesterday, 12:15 pm
    Post #23 - Yesterday, 12:15 pm Post #23 - Yesterday, 12:15 pm
    Some very nice looking birds and beasts here! Just beautiful stuff. I hope everyone had a great holiday . . . and here's to a more familiar set of circumstances in 2021!

=R=

• Post #24 - Yesterday, 1:36 pm
    Post #24 - Yesterday, 1:36 pm Post #24 - Yesterday, 1:36 pm
    Not a turkey fan so opted for sous vide butter poached lobster tails over juli leeks, carrots, yellow squash, zuch and asparagus w/pastis-tarragon cream sauce and scalloped potatoes.
    "In pursuit of joys untasted"
    from Giuseppe Verdi's La Traviata
  • Post #25 - Yesterday, 3:07 pm
    Post #25 - Yesterday, 3:07 pm Post #25 - Yesterday, 3:07 pm
    Next day turkey sandwich. Gobble Gobble!

click to enlarge

Turkey Sandwich, count me a Fan!
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #26 - Yesterday, 3:19 pm
    Post #26 - Yesterday, 3:19 pm Post #26 - Yesterday, 3:19 pm
    G Wiv wrote:Next day turkey sandwich. Gobble Gobble!

Very nice! Are you entirely off the Hellman's now or is the Blue Plate part of a mayo rotation?

=R=

• Post #27 - Yesterday, 3:23 pm
    Post #27 - Yesterday, 3:23 pm Post #27 - Yesterday, 3:23 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Very nice! Are you entirely off the Hellman's now or is the Blue Plate part of a mayo rotation?

Mayo rotation. Currently Kewpie, Blue Plate, Hellmann's. I would never quit Hellmann's. (I can't quit you)
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow
  • Post #28 - Yesterday, 3:37 pm
    Post #28 - Yesterday, 3:37 pm Post #28 - Yesterday, 3:37 pm
    G Wiv wrote:
    ronnie_suburban wrote:Very nice! Are you entirely off the Hellman's now or is the Blue Plate part of a mayo rotation?

Mayo rotation. Currently Kewpie, Blue Plate, Hellmann's. I would never quit Hellmann's. (I can't quit you)

Understood. Nice line-up. I love the Blue Plate and I appreciate you getting me that starter bottle. At the very beginning of the pandemic, I bought a small jar of Sir Kensington's mayo. Flavorwise, it can best be described as a fussier version of Miracle Whip. I never use it directly on anything -- its' sweet and odd -- but I have found that including a small blob of it in homemade coleslaw adds a nice note. But even then, the base mayo is Hellman's.

=R=

• Post #29 - Yesterday, 5:58 pm
    Post #29 - Yesterday, 5:58 pm Post #29 - Yesterday, 5:58 pm
    ronnie_suburban wrote:jar of Sir Kensington's mayo.

I dig Sir Kensington's mustache. :) Oh, and Duke's. Duke's is solidly in my mayo lineup.
    Hold my beer . . .

Low & Slow

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more