LTH Home

New Years dishes 2020

New Years dishes 2020
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • New Years dishes 2020

    Post #1 - December 27th, 2020, 4:55 pm
    Post #1 - December 27th, 2020, 4:55 pm Post #1 - December 27th, 2020, 4:55 pm
    I suspect many of us are spending New Years in the house this year ( at least I hope most of us are doing so ). Of course, if we are not going out, many will be cooking special food.

    My plan is to get a whole duck tomorrow from Harrison poultry Farm and slicing it into parts. I will be cooking everything sous vide. Leg and thighs will be sous vide in a long cook to mimic confit and breasts will be cooked later sous vide. Everything will be browned under a broiler. Pictures and methods on Jan. 1.
  • Post #2 - December 27th, 2020, 5:03 pm
    Post #2 - December 27th, 2020, 5:03 pm Post #2 - December 27th, 2020, 5:03 pm
    I just hope a lot of people don't hold large parties at their home. People were told not to travel for Christmas, and there are only 29% less people getting together with their extended families this year.
  • Post #3 - December 27th, 2020, 8:39 pm
    Post #3 - December 27th, 2020, 8:39 pm Post #3 - December 27th, 2020, 8:39 pm
    We often host a large party so that's out! For smaller NYE dinners we've also loved to do sous vide butter poached lobster with fresh pasta and chanterelles. But this year for our household of 3 all alone, I am thinking maybe an Oscars-party style evening of a movie and a table full of luxe apps like caviar, deviled eggs, alice waters' onion tart. What would be on your list?

    Better ideas?
  • Post #4 - December 27th, 2020, 9:29 pm
    Post #4 - December 27th, 2020, 9:29 pm Post #4 - December 27th, 2020, 9:29 pm
    Really feels like the year we bring home the Costco shrimp cocktail party platter for a household of two
  • Post #5 - December 28th, 2020, 8:18 am
    Post #5 - December 28th, 2020, 8:18 am Post #5 - December 28th, 2020, 8:18 am
    annak wrote:We often host a large party so that's out! For smaller NYE dinners we've also loved to do sous vide butter poached lobster with fresh pasta and chanterelles. But this year for our household of 3 all alone, I am thinking maybe an Oscars-party style evening of a movie and a table full of luxe apps like caviar, deviled eggs, alice waters' onion tart. What would be on your list?

    Better ideas?


    My sister suggested caviar too and Ive never bought any, so I will need to do some research. But I did see that whole foods has caviar for 30% off until tomorrow. So I'll be buying some at a discount! :)

    Saw a recipe for a Chicago style hot dog dip, and my nye gathering of 3 feels like the perfect time to try it out. On paper, it totally makes sense that it would all work.

    https://blockclubchicago.org/2019/12/26 ... agochurri/
  • Post #6 - December 28th, 2020, 9:38 am
    Post #6 - December 28th, 2020, 9:38 am Post #6 - December 28th, 2020, 9:38 am
    WhyBeeSea wrote:Saw a recipe for a Chicago style hot dog dip, and my nye gathering of 3 feels like the perfect time to try it out. On paper, it totally makes sense that it would all work.
    https://blockclubchicago.org/2019/12/26 ... agochurri/


    I tried this idea, liked it, but I prefer GWiv's dead simple yellow mustard blended with giardiniera.

    Speaking of pigs, we're strongly considering a nostalgic hors d'oeuvres menu with pigs and probably hot artichoke dip, maybe shrimp cocktail (or the classic block o' cream cheese + salad shrimp drowned in cocktail sauce.)

    Vacillating between that and a classier charcuterie & fancy cheese spread + home sourdough, but I feel like that's more frequent in the rotation.

    Pigging out on some classics would transport us to simpler times. I think my mind's made up!
  • Post #7 - December 28th, 2020, 11:04 am
    Post #7 - December 28th, 2020, 11:04 am Post #7 - December 28th, 2020, 11:04 am
    Jefe wrote:
    WhyBeeSea wrote:Saw a recipe for a Chicago style hot dog dip, and my nye gathering of 3 feels like the perfect time to try it out. On paper, it totally makes sense that it would all work.
    https://blockclubchicago.org/2019/12/26 ... agochurri/


    I tried this idea, liked it, but I prefer GWiv's dead simple yellow mustard blended with giardiniera.

    Speaking of pigs, we're strongly considering a nostalgic hors d'oeuvres menu with pigs and probably hot artichoke dip, maybe shrimp cocktail (or the classic block o' cream cheese + salad shrimp drowned in cocktail sauce.)

    Vacillating between that and a classier charcuterie & fancy cheese spread + home sourdough, but I feel like that's more frequent in the rotation.

    Pigging out on some classics would transport us to simpler times. I think my mind's made up!


    Ooh I like this idea too. Will try both!
  • Post #8 - December 28th, 2020, 6:08 pm
    Post #8 - December 28th, 2020, 6:08 pm Post #8 - December 28th, 2020, 6:08 pm
    Kenji’s Detroit-Style Pan Pizza minus the pepperoni.
    Dessert TBD
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #9 - December 28th, 2020, 7:39 pm
    Post #9 - December 28th, 2020, 7:39 pm Post #9 - December 28th, 2020, 7:39 pm
    January 1st is MRS. Jlawrence01's birthday and that means that I will be making her mother's sauerkraut casserole IN STRICT COMPLIANCE with the recipe as instructed. That will be the only thing that I am allowed to make.

    And since my friend's oven has died and is not looking like it will be repaired soon, I have to find a birthday cake. I am thinking of heading to Cardenas Market to purchase a Chocoflan cake. Fortunately, I do not have to worry about the candles and setting off the smoke detector!!!

    Sometime over the weekend, I am going to make some blackeye pea soup . Plus, I have to start thinking about freezing the ham that I got last week.
  • Post #10 - December 28th, 2020, 8:51 pm
    Post #10 - December 28th, 2020, 8:51 pm Post #10 - December 28th, 2020, 8:51 pm
    Dave148 wrote:Kenji’s Detroit-Style Pan Pizza minus the pepperoni.
    Dessert TBD

    It is good with sausage.
    Cathy2

    "You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #11 - December 28th, 2020, 9:29 pm
    Post #11 - December 28th, 2020, 9:29 pm Post #11 - December 28th, 2020, 9:29 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:
    Dave148 wrote:Kenji’s Detroit-Style Pan Pizza minus the pepperoni.
    Dessert TBD

    It is good with sausage.

    Thanks for the tip.
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #12 - December 29th, 2020, 2:00 pm
    Post #12 - December 29th, 2020, 2:00 pm Post #12 - December 29th, 2020, 2:00 pm
    I have been making a vegetarian version of Hopping John for going on 20 years now.

    It looks like this tradition has started being more popular; as all the grocery stores are having a run on Black Eyed Peas close to new year. So this year I got my supply early.

    Last year; I went to the Cermak Produce on .... Cermak and Ashland just before New Year; to look for Black Eyed Peas, and the shelf was empty. I asked one of the stockers if they have more; and the kid was befuddled and kinda angry. He asked me WTF was going on as he had been stocking the damn thing all day and it barely lasted an hour before emptying out. I told him about the Hopping John tradition, and he mentioned that this was the first year that they were having to call the warehouse to restock their supply. Looks like a triumph of Social Media. :)


    ETA: A Joke: Black Eyed Peas are just regular Peas that got into a fight!
  • Post #13 - December 31st, 2020, 9:00 pm
    Post #13 - December 31st, 2020, 9:00 pm Post #13 - December 31st, 2020, 9:00 pm
    Final meal of 2020: Fresh from the oven fougasse paired with oven warmed brie in the box and Christmas cookies.

    I made blini earlier, though it is for tomorrow's breakfast.
    Cathy2

    "You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #14 - January 1st, 2021, 10:13 am
    Post #14 - January 1st, 2021, 10:13 am Post #14 - January 1st, 2021, 10:13 am
    Started to make a few appetizers including NYE classic Potato Galette with smoked salmon, Crème fraîche and pickled red onion. Somehow got in a loud screaming argument with the bride, forgot about the apps, drank a half bottle of Ten High, shot my 12-guage at the midnight moon and fell asleep at my basement workbench. We almost never argue and, if so, certainly not loudly. A perfect cap to 2020

    Ronnie's blini with gorgeous toppings looked a more pleasant way to ring in the new year.

    Happy Fu*king New Year. :)
    Hold my beer . . .

    Low & Slow
  • Post #15 - January 1st, 2021, 10:19 am
    Post #15 - January 1st, 2021, 10:19 am Post #15 - January 1st, 2021, 10:19 am
    I wanted to make up some soup with pork and blackeyed peas over the weekend. However, I have been unable to locate any of the peas in four local supermarkets ...
    Go figure.
  • Post #16 - January 1st, 2021, 3:23 pm
    Post #16 - January 1st, 2021, 3:23 pm Post #16 - January 1st, 2021, 3:23 pm
    jlawrence01 wrote:I wanted to make up some soup with pork and blackeyed peas over the weekend. However, I have been unable to locate any of the peas in four local supermarkets ...
    Go figure.

    I learned from two years ago not to count on finding black eyed peas around New Year's. I bought frozen black eyed peas last summer.

    Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

    "You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #17 - January 1st, 2021, 4:56 pm
    Post #17 - January 1st, 2021, 4:56 pm Post #17 - January 1st, 2021, 4:56 pm
    Big night in :) Pretended we were having a big bash, even though it was dinner for 4 but it was a really fun night.

    Started with a heavy appetizer buffet--charcuterie, cheeses and pimento cheese spread from Smoking Goose, along with a few things from Whole Foods and leftovers from our Anteprima Xmas Eve dinner; caviar; shrimp toast; Brie en Croute, Scallop tartare and my favorite, a warm Dungeness crab dip.

    Image

    Image

    Image

    Image

    Image

    After a bit of a break, we had our salad--sauteed scallops on butter lettuce with dill, cilantro, Bulgarian feta and Green Goddess dressing.

    Image
    Salad

    Finally, the main--individual Sitka Salmon Shares Sockeye Salmon and Spot Prawn Pot Pies. Followed the same general idea as my chicken pot pies from last week, except used a gorgeous stock that I made earlier in the day from the prawn and Dungeness crab shells, as well as some trimmed bits of salmon, along with shallot and dry Sherry. Celery, carrot, shallot and leek made up the veg component of the filling. Popped the salmon and prawns into the pre-made filling then baked in the puff pastry--the seafood was perfectly cooked. This was incredibly decadent and delicious--really happy we went with this over the Coullibiac I was going to do.

    Image

    Image

    Image
    Pot Pie

    Dessert was the Marian Burros torte recipe using thinly sliced oranges and cranberries for the fruit--my favorite easy dress-to-impress dessert :)

    Image
    Torte

    We don't usually do a whole lot for NYE in normal times, so this was an unexpectedly lovely evening with our pod people (the couple who live next door to us).

    Hoping it's the start of a happy and healthful year for all of us, near and far!!!
    "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." Miles Kington

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more