LTH Home

Cooking Advice

Cooking Advice
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • Cooking Advice

Post #1 - January 8th, 2021, 2:28 pm
    Post #1 - January 8th, 2021, 2:28 pm Post #1 - January 8th, 2021, 2:28 pm
    In the past ten months of cooking at home, I have actually been consulting a number of recipes on various websites. I have found recipes that have missed key ingredients as well as recipes that have listed ingredients that are not used in the recipe as written. I have seen a number of recipes that grossly overstate the amounts of ingredients should go in.

I was looking for a recipe for the Filipino dish Pancit Palabok. Very rarely does a recipe include a section, "Problems encountered making this recipe." That was a guarantee that I would read it more closely.

There was the following advice:

Have you ever heard of a ‘First-Aid Kit’ when it comes to cooking your dishes? Yes, such a thing exists, and it works just like a real First Aid Kit that saves anyone’s cooking dish from total demise.

The ‘Kitchen First Aid Kit’ must include a list of ready solutions to mitigate the effects of an unexpected cooking error. As most cooks must know, cooking skills are not only sets of cooking knowledge and procedures, but also chunks of real solutions to save a troubled dish.

Learn the basic fixes that one must make when they encounter these common (and not so common) cooking mistakes

Failing to PREPARE THE INGREDIENTS BEFORE the actual COOKING.
    Failing to Read THE RECIPE THOROUGHLY BEFORE YOU COOK.
    Failing to TASTE YOUR DISH IN EVERY PHASE OF YOUR COOKING

This recipe is an interesting read:
    https://eatlikepinoy.com/best-pancit-palabok-recipe/
  • Post #2 - January 8th, 2021, 3:22 pm
    Post #2 - January 8th, 2021, 3:22 pm Post #2 - January 8th, 2021, 3:22 pm
    Hi,

From a very, very limited sampling of Filippino cooks, I get the impression not so much recipe driven but watch and learn from someone else cooking.

You might look at a recipe as a guideline, then check out a youtube to watch someone execute the dish.

There are also a lot of language dialects and regional expressions of a recipe, the recipe may have the sense of what you recall and still be a bit different from what you expect.

I hope this has some context to what you are doing.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #3 - January 8th, 2021, 4:50 pm
    Post #3 - January 8th, 2021, 4:50 pm Post #3 - January 8th, 2021, 4:50 pm
    One of the "Read the whole recipe" tips is look for notes on how much the sub-recipes make. Often you'll find a salad for two, that makes a pint of dressing, or Kenji's Detroit-style pizza, which makes twice the sauce you'll need for the pizza recipe. Sometimes they'll tell you it's going to make extra, sometimes they won't, but I've learned to look for that (most of the time).
    What is patriotism, but the love of good things we ate in our childhood?
    -- Lin Yutang
  • Post #4 - January 8th, 2021, 9:26 pm
    Post #4 - January 8th, 2021, 9:26 pm Post #4 - January 8th, 2021, 9:26 pm
    And as I made the post, I forgot a major component of the recipe that I was cooking at the time ... :oops:
  • Post #5 - January 8th, 2021, 10:26 pm
    Post #5 - January 8th, 2021, 10:26 pm Post #5 - January 8th, 2021, 10:26 pm
    jlawrence01 wrote:And as I made the post, I forgot a major component of the recipe that I was cooking at the time ... :oops:

I'm glad you circled back on this particular issue, as it's become a pet peeve of mine. I think many recipe writers purposely under-report cooking time(s) to make their recipes appear quicker and more convenient. I rarely come across a recipe these days that provides truly accurate cooking time(s), not just for entire recipes but even for individual stages within a recipe.

=R=
    By protecting others, you save yourself. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself. --Kambei Shimada

Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #6 - January 8th, 2021, 10:40 pm
    Post #6 - January 8th, 2021, 10:40 pm Post #6 - January 8th, 2021, 10:40 pm
    Hi,

I once had a conversation with Scott Peacock, a friend of Edna Lewis, about a stone ground grits recipe published in a food magazine. I related how when I cooked similar, it was an hours long process. He admitted to under reporting the time, because nobody would believe it was an eight hour process. I think the recipe under discussion advised three or four hours.

For some years, there have been pressures on recipe developers for the home cooks to have meals with no more than five ingredients prepared in 30 minutes.

I will suggest these recipes with missed timing cues may be related to meeting an arbitrary time requirement. Ultimately, it is the cook's job to independently evaluate whether a dish is cooked or not.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #7 - January 8th, 2021, 11:42 pm
    Post #7 - January 8th, 2021, 11:42 pm Post #7 - January 8th, 2021, 11:42 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:Ultimately, it is the cook's job to independently evaluate whether a dish is cooked or not.

Yeah, I can pretty much look at a recipe and know whether or not the given time frame is accurate. I just hate the idea of erroneous information being published intentionally.

=R=
    By protecting others, you save yourself. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself. --Kambei Shimada

Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #8 - January 9th, 2021, 12:05 am
    Post #8 - January 9th, 2021, 12:05 am Post #8 - January 9th, 2021, 12:05 am
    Pet peeve feed activated!

I perceive the same downward pressure on food writers to fit under some arbitrary time frame. As a solution, I propose:

Have the writer cook the dish start to finish with a stopwatch running, and tell us the exact time

It’s very likely to be faster than the average reader, and MUCH faster than the slowest reader, but at least it’s real data. Knowing it took a professional 48 minutes would let me calibrate my expectations.

I have a similar gripe about restaurant reviews. Rather than using $$$$ symbols, just print how much the check was.
  • Post #9 - January 9th, 2021, 5:36 pm
    Post #9 - January 9th, 2021, 5:36 pm Post #9 - January 9th, 2021, 5:36 pm
    Bok Choy Jr wrote:I perceive the same downward pressure on food writers to fit under some arbitrary time frame. As a solution, I propose:

Have the writer cook the dish start to finish with a stopwatch running, and tell us the exact time

I have a similar gripe about restaurant reviews. Rather than using $$$$ symbols, just print how much the check was.

That is a good point. However, whether it is a recipe or a restaurant review, can we really assume that anyone has actually prepared the recipe or actually went out and tried the restaurant before reviewing? Increasingly, I am finding it hard to believe that either is happening as so much of the food content in newspapers is little more than recycled recipes and restaurant reviews from people with no experience in the food scene.

Recently, I read two reviews of Jollibees in the Tampa Bay and the Phoenix newspapers. In the first, the critic evaluated each dish and demonstrated a good working knowledge of the restaurant's offerings. The latter sounded more like a press release or something that has been harvested from Yelp. I tried to find out more about the writer to find that she is a freelancer out of Germany.

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more