LTH Home

How to store garlic?

How to store garlic?
  • Forum HomePost Reply BackTop
  • How to store garlic?

Post #1 - January 30th, 2021, 7:14 pm
    Post #1 - January 30th, 2021, 7:14 pm Post #1 - January 30th, 2021, 7:14 pm
    Hi- I have about 20 heads of garlic I bought from Henry Brockman, and I am wondering how everybody stores their garlic? I have never found a good way to store it. Does anybody use a garlic keeper? There are lots of garlic keepers for sale on Amazon, but I wonder how many heads of garlic will fit into one of those? I have $486 worth of Amazon GC to use up. I did a market research thing online that I got $250 worth of Amazon. I also do some surveys online.
  • Post #2 - January 30th, 2021, 7:22 pm
    Post #2 - January 30th, 2021, 7:22 pm Post #2 - January 30th, 2021, 7:22 pm
    Hi,

If garlic is chilled and brought back to ambient temperatures, this will trigger to garlic to sprout.

I bought several pounds of garlic in June or July, they have not yet sprouted. I am just about to the end, too.

I have a bin I can pull out from under my sink with potatoes, garlic, shallots and onions. Simply by use in meals, these are rotated frequently.

Regards,
    CAthy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #3 - January 30th, 2021, 7:28 pm
    Post #3 - January 30th, 2021, 7:28 pm Post #3 - January 30th, 2021, 7:28 pm
    Think about root cellar conditions . . . dark, dry if possible, steady temperature. As Cathy says, shifting from cold to ambient will often germinate bulbs.

=R=
    By protecting others, you save yourself. If you only think of yourself, you'll only destroy yourself. --Kambei Shimada

Every human interaction is an opportunity for disappointment --RS

That don't impress me much --Shania Twain
  • Post #4 - January 31st, 2021, 12:41 pm
    Post #4 - January 31st, 2021, 12:41 pm Post #4 - January 31st, 2021, 12:41 pm
    Cathy2 wrote:I have a bin I can pull out from under my sink with potatoes, garlic, shallots and onions.

Although I like this idea for use of the space under the sink, I thought that potatoes and onions shouldn't be stored together, as they'll hasten each other's ripening if they are. What has been your experience with that?
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #5 - January 31st, 2021, 2:31 pm
    Post #5 - January 31st, 2021, 2:31 pm Post #5 - January 31st, 2021, 2:31 pm
    Katie wrote:
    Cathy2 wrote:I have a bin I can pull out from under my sink with potatoes, garlic, shallots and onions.

Although I like this idea for use of the space under the sink, I thought that potatoes and onions shouldn't be stored together, as they'll hasten each other's ripening if they are. What has been your experience with that?

I am aware, though I keep it rotating fast enough it is not a problem.

Regards,
    Cathy2
    Cathy2

"You'll be remembered long after you're dead if you make good gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits." -- Nathalie Dupree
    Facebook, Twitter, Greater Midwest Foodways, Road Food 2012: Podcast
  • Post #6 - February 7th, 2021, 10:46 am
    Post #6 - February 7th, 2021, 10:46 am Post #6 - February 7th, 2021, 10:46 am
    I have the vintage Tupperware garlic keeper you can buy on ebay. There are many sellers on there. It helps to keep the garlic fresh without drying out. It seems as it would not be big enough to keep the quantity of garlic you have though. There are many sellers of this type of garlic keeper at different price points.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tupperware-Gar ... Sww2Zfwupy
    Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #7 - February 8th, 2021, 10:55 am
    Post #7 - February 8th, 2021, 10:55 am Post #7 - February 8th, 2021, 10:55 am
    Make garlic confit. There are many recipes on the internet.
    Toria

"I like this place and willingly could waste my time in it" - As You Like It,
    W. Shakespeare
  • Post #8 - February 8th, 2021, 12:12 pm
    Post #8 - February 8th, 2021, 12:12 pm Post #8 - February 8th, 2021, 12:12 pm

How to select good garlic at the store and keep it fresh?

As a French raised in Languedoc I have been using lots of Fresh Garlic in my cooking over the last 60 years, both in France and in Chicago, and I always keep it in a French-made, probably by a Provençal artisan, earthenware or terracotta pot. It is vented by holes on its sides, and keeps the garlic at a more or less constant temperature. The essential quality is that this kind of vessel protects the original freshness of the heads of garlic from light, humidity, and high temperature. I dislike Chinese and South American "fresh" garlic, both bulk or packaged. Chinese garlic is the most common import in the US. But it is said to be produced and processed in terrains irrigated by very (not treated)unclean and polluted water. Sometimes I find decent fresh garlic from Spain at Valli's. To me the best, of course in summer, is the locally produced garlic that I buy at the Evanston farmers market. Especially when they have the purple kind. But my favorite one by far is the Northern Californian that I buy every year at the MountainView's (CA) farmers market. It comes from local farmers, usually in Central Valley, or from the Gilroy area, nicknamed " The garlic capital of the world". Christopher Ranch is the largest and most well-known producer there. You can buy 2 pounds bags of that brand of fresh heads at Amazon.
    In the winter time I find decent Californian, relatively fresh, heads of garlic at Trader's Joe. It costs only 49 cents a head.
    If it happens that fresh garlic has grown a green sprout inside, I use a very sharp paring knife to cut it in half and to remove it.
  • Post #9 - February 8th, 2021, 4:17 pm
    Post #9 - February 8th, 2021, 4:17 pm Post #9 - February 8th, 2021, 4:17 pm
    Most of the garlic I still have I got from Henry Brockman back in December when he did a delivery to Evanston. I need to start using it up. You can also purchase homegrown garlic at the local produce place on Dempster in Evanston where Hewn bread used to be. I forget the name of the place, but it is going to be way more than $.49. When I don't have garlic left over from the farmers market, I buy California organic garlic from Whole Foods, which is $3.95 a pound.

I have been storing the garlic out in the open in bowls hoping that it would keep longer. I used to just store it in plastic bags when I brought it home from the farmers market. I used to be able to get garlic cheap from Nichol's at the farmers market at the end of the summer, but the last few years they have run out in September, and I have been getting it from Henry for more money.
  • Post #10 - February 8th, 2021, 4:30 pm
    Post #10 - February 8th, 2021, 4:30 pm Post #10 - February 8th, 2021, 4:30 pm
    NFriday wrote:Most of the garlic I still have I got from Henry Brockman back in December when he did a delivery to Evanston. I need to start using it up. You can also purchase homegrown garlic at the local produce place on Dempster in Evanston where Hewn bread used to be. I forget the name of the place, but it is going to be way more than $.49.

https://villagefarmstand.com/
    Never order barbecue in a place that also serves quiche - Lewis Grizzard
  • Post #11 - February 9th, 2021, 9:16 pm
    Post #11 - February 9th, 2021, 9:16 pm Post #11 - February 9th, 2021, 9:16 pm
    Alain940 wrote:How to select good garlic at the store and keep it fresh?
    I always keep it in a French-made, probably by a Provençal artisan, earthenware or terracotta pot. It is vented by holes on its sides, and keeps the garlic at a more or less constant temperature. The essential quality is that this kind of vessel protects the original freshness of the heads of garlic from light, humidity, and high temperature.

I use the same type of earthenware pot, not French or artisinal, but quite effective. It was a gift from my mom, along with a larger one for onions.

I am also with you, Alain, in favoring Gilroy garlic and particularly Christopher Ranch products, and in using the tip of a knife to pop out the green sprout in the middle of a garlic clove if I've let it go a while before using it.
    "Your swimming suit matches your eyes, you hold your nose before diving, loving you has made me bananas!"
  • Post #12 - February 10th, 2021, 5:37 pm
    Post #12 - February 10th, 2021, 5:37 pm Post #12 - February 10th, 2021, 5:37 pm
    Alain940 wrote:
    How to select good garlic at the store and keep it fresh?

As a French raised in Languedoc I have been using lots of Fresh Garlic in my cooking over the last 60 years, both in France and in Chicago, and I always keep it in a French-made, probably by a Provençal artisan, earthenware or terracotta pot. It is vented by holes on its sides, and keeps the garlic at a more or less constant temperature. ...
    Is this a glazed pot?
    The thing about quotes on the internet is you can not confirm their validity. -- Abraham Lincoln

Contact

About

Team

Advertize

Close

Chat

Articles

Guide

Events

more